Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utopia (Channel 4) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

cambo2008 wrote: »
    And they've bitten as usual. There's a thread over in the conspiracy theories forum...

The thing that always bugs me about these "conspiracies" is just how incompetent the conspirators are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The thing that always bugs me about these "conspiracies" is just how incompetent the conspirators are!
    Yea, apparently it could be a show to push the idea that we need population control.

Ch4, 10pm, Tuesday night. :pac:
    You would think these almighty beings could have wangled a better slot on a more mainstream station...

Ah, but you'd expect that!

They have it on at an obscure time to fool you into thinking it's only entertainment.

Wait! I'm confused now (well, most of the time really) IS it the truth? Or is it really entertainment? Subtle!

Hiding in plain sight dude :pac:

One thing i like about this series is that it faces up to the "real" world - the demographics of infertility with an ageing population are front and centre in the story line. They aren't scared to express real world problems with their story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*prays the final episode is not a let down*

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

mike65 wrote: »
    *prays the final episode is not a let down*

I'm nervous that it will be. It seems like it needs more than one episode to tie everything together!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Can.Not.Wait.
    I'm 37 and going round all day like a child waiting for christmas.

Basq wrote: »
    Snipped audio from an episode gotten via 4OD..

.. can't find full theme either!

Best I could do.
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/utopia-original-television/id605346472

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

That was epic loved every minute of it :D

• Advertisement

Not sure how I feel about the possibility of a second season :/

It was great. Suspected Milner, thought that other guy was too obvious.

Did Becky run cos she didn't want to inflict her illness on Ian, or did she fake her fit and is she actually with the other side?

Ah Christ, once up[on a time you didn't to worry about The Singing Detective or Boys from the Black Stuff having a second series but this certainly had enough open plot lines to suggest its at least possible.
    I liked that Jessica was revealed as the unwitting core the conspiracy but (and yes I know its telly) shirley Milner could have trapped her before now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

No Arby?
    was he killed last week?

Well done Ch4. Fantastic finish to a really great show. The only fault tonight was no Arby. They could just leave it at that and I wouldn't complain but I'd love more now, just so long as they keep that standard up.

Skerries wrote: »
    No Arby?
    was he killed last week?
    Nice loose end for season 2 if they go on with it, who knows, he might have the vaccine to Janus in him? Janus has 2 faces , 1 face is Jessica, the other is Arby ?

Arby was last seen sat on his "cell" bed as the fire lapped around the building, so we were supposed to think him being dead but of course we didn't actually see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

"Don't put the gas away yet"

Clue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Daroxtar wrote: »

Nice one!

Great series. The ending was a lil obvious but still pretty awesome. Looking forward to series 2 already. Although I wonder if it would all appear really silly on a second watch, the whole "they didn't need the manuscript, it was all a ploy to get their hands on Jessica Hyde".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Only little bit I was annoyed about was that they could have gotten to Jessica earlier if they had wanted to.

Arby will be back in season 2 with severe burns :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

I was expecting a poor season finale but boy was I wrong, fantastic stuff, lovely little twists and turns throughout.

Was the show not originally intended to be just a 6 part mini series though? I'm not complaining anyway just curious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For a moment I actually thought they were going to wrap things up; it seemed like there wasn't enough time left in the episode for one last twist & things appeared to be coming to an end. So in that sense the revelation seems a little hurried - but then again "Where is Jessica Hyde?" was the running motif, so I guess it was always telegraphed a little.

And while we're at it, if there is to be a series 2, I'm curious to know how they'll fill the slight plotholes - Dugdale in particular. His life is surely ruined now: the Minister will doubtless hold him accountable for the warehouse fire & wouldn't Corvadt pursue him after the death of 'Anya' anyway? Seems odd that the group allowed him to take care of Alice - he's hardly the safest choice at this precise moment.

As for the the lack of Arby, and more importantly the lack of a body, I suspect it means he's alive & well - and perhaps will be the one to spring Jessica from her (probable) prison.

Overall, it was a classy, stylish thriller & I enjoyed every offbeat, disturbed minute of it. Definitely one of the best looking TV shows in the last while, even if I'm not sure the actual plot holds up to much scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

[QUOTE=quad_red;83099379
    They are being tracked either by the phone Miliner gave them (so Milinier is working for Mr Rabbit. Or IS Mr Rabbit) or via Becky
    [/QUOTE]

Tada!

Do I get partial kudos? ;)

An enjoyable finale with a second season clearly to come.

I gotta say, the
    Anya twist
    threw me! Didn't see that one coming even though in hindsight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Only little bit I was annoyed about was that they could have gotten to Jessica earlier if they had wanted to.

I think though that only Mrs. Rabbit (can we call her Jessica Rabbit please oh please?) knew the big secret about Jessica Hyde and everyone else believed that it was the manuscript that they needed. The information was too valuable for her to tell anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Theres allot of talk above about season 2, has it been confirmed? Watching it last night, I just assumed at the end of the episode that was it.
    There was a twist that Jessica Hyde is what they were looking for and not the manuscript and thats is. They will proceed cultivate and release Janus from her blood.

It was a really good ending to be fair, and a nice wrap up to the story, I would not be mad if that was it for Utopia

Theres allot of talk above about season 2, has it been confirmed? Watching it last night, I just assumed at the end of the episode that was it.
    There was a twist that Jessica Hyde is what they were looking for and not the manuscript and thats is. They will proceed cultivate and release Janus from her blood.

It was a really good ending to be fair, and a nice wrap up to the story, I would not be mad if that was it for Utopia

I feel the same. It was left so that if there wasn't to be another series, it would be left with a mysterious, but not frustratingly so, ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

That memorable scene with Arby in the caff.....

Tracked down

• Registered Users Posts: 43,778 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bumper Utopia marathon this evening...

.. absolutely loved it!

Gutted it's finished.. but Channel 4 are bound to renew it!

Missed Arby (or "R.B") wheezing around for the final episode.. Neil Maskell was superb in it. In fact, the whole cast were top notch bar Fiona O'Shaughnessy who constantly delivered her lines with the conviction of a wet towel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basq wrote: »
    Bumper Utopia marathon this evening...

.. absolutely loved it!

Gutted it's finished.. but Channel 4 are bound to renew it!

Missed Arby (or "R.B") wheezing around for the final episode.. Neil Maskell was superb in it. In fact, the whole cast were top notch bar Fiona O'Shaughnessy who constantly delivered her lines with the conviction of a wet towel!

I dunno, I had presumed her delivery was deliberate, as it wasn't too dissimilar to that of Arbys; she was essentially cut from the safe cloth after all. A corrupted / stunted childhood & years spent on the run & in hiding; I can't imagine how it would make an adult very personable or warm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Has any one seen the ad for that new TV show mimic on channel 4? Is the guy in the orange shirt the same guy who played RB? I only got a quick look at him so I can't be sure, looked really like him though.

• Advertisement

Has any one seen the ad for that new TV show mimic on channel 4? Is the guy in the orange shirt the same guy who played RB? I only got a quick look at him so I can't be sure, looked really like him though.
    Seen that too, yea, it's definitely him.

Advertisement