Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utopia (Channel 4) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Skerries wrote: »
    ooh I see what you're doing there
    Milner = Mad hatter?

Nice :)

Didn't see that.

Mmmmmm.

The Mad Hatter is sentenced to death by the Queen but is saved by time and is forever frozen in time to six oclock (tea time).

Mr Rabbit was sentenced to death when the US authorities shopped him to the gangs and he escaped after causing a blood bath and erasing all those who had ever heard of him.

When Jessica was in the room with Grant (when he was drinking) she had this really creepy smile that reminded me a bit of the Chesire Cat (although that may just be the actress).

Dugdale as the march hare? Terrified, jittery.

Although a milliner makes hats rather than necessarily wearing them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yes but that is what a hatter is as well
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hatter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

With all the violence that took place in that episode, including children being murdered, I thought the most unsettling part was the minister's threat "be a shame to see her raped" towards Dugdale's wife. F*ck that's cold. And the deadpan way that line was delivered was properly threatening.

But I love programmes that can unsettle me a little and I'm finding this show to be fantastic in general. Something about revealing a little of Arby's backstory makes him even more unnerving I find. Not being able to kill the last child (although I was sure I heard a shot) and asking about his childhood made him seem a bit more unpredictable as there's now a chance he mightn't blow your brains out.

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

he did kill the last child

• Advertisement

Not being able to kill the last child (although I was sure I heard a shot) and asking about his childhood made him seem a bit more unpredictable as there's now a chance he mightn't blow your brains out.

He did - the thing is he hesitated. And he wasn't used to that.

His first memories are of killing animals ffs! :( He's been raised (and possibly bred) to be a merciless killer.

But something has changed. He wants to know why he didn't feel anything when the only person that passed for a friend was killed. He hesitated killing the school child because there was an emotional resonance with the dropped packet of raisins. And he seemed terrified dealing with Jessica, leaving her live when surely his orders must have been to nail her at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arby and Jessica are part of the same machine, I think they are linked either biologically or psychologically at some level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

mike65 wrote: »
    Arby and Jessica are part of the same machine, I think they are linked either biologically or psychologically at some level.
    Yep, he asked if Jessica was like him, so he certainly thinks they're the same in some way anyway.

Jessica Hyde always makes me think of Jekyll and Hyde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

quad_red wrote: »
    Jessica Hyde always makes me think of Jekyll and Hyde.
    She makes me think of Michael Jackson :pac:

• Advertisement

Arby is clearly a psycopath/sociopah
    as he has no significant emotional feelings and and usually serial killers start off killing small animals

This show is genuinely not afraid to be edgy - as shocking as the school massacre was at the start and the child begging for his life, before being shot, what got me the most was the politician's wife being threatened with rape. It was the way that it was delivered; almost deadpan, that made it seem just so.. horrifying.

what did Letts say that RB stood for, I couldn't quite make it out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Skerries wrote: »
    what did Letts say that RB stood for, I couldn't quite make it out?

"Raisin Boy", as in the treats the boy was given, and Arby still ate as an adult

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If Raes character knew where Jesicca and the others were, why wasnt someone sent to kill them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Who was the man shot dead last night?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    If Raes character knew where Jesicca and the others were, why wasnt someone sent to kill them?

Yeah, that's a pretty big stand out.

Is Rae who Becky called? Does she think she's talking to someone else?

It was a weak episode tonight, overall. Not enough Arby and Jessica!

I thought it a strong episode because of its ambiguity. Everyone bar Wilson Wilson (the paranoid one who has become the most trusting) has a second agenda. Arby is probably going to turn out to be the hero and Jessica the villain.

Also easily the best looking and sounding tv series since, well since I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

The pace is just right, with just enough info being provided to drive the story forward. The benefits of a limited run of episodes, rather than the typical 21-22.

I'm assuming the amino acid in the food is to prime the population and help drive the growth of the Janus virus (like l-arginine in Herpes) when it's administered.

Typical only in Amerikay. Not British telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Who was the man shot dead last night?

The CEO of the food company whose logo appeared in the comic, equivalent to kraft or nestle.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

What makes you think that he knew where they were?

whitetrash wrote: »
    What makes you think that he knew where they were?

Because Arby asks him where is Jessica Hyde. Then they give him a scribbled note, he leaves, then rocks up at the house.

They are being tracked either by the phone Miliner gave them (so Milinier is working for Mr Rabbit. Or IS Mr Rabbit) or via Becky.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I trust absolutely no one! I'm hoping that Becky (as annoying as she is) is actually good and doing it for the right reasons. I'm wondering is her dad really still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm calling it now.

Jessica is Mr Rabbit. She's some legend type that no one has ever actually seen, trained by her insane father and knows her cover could be blown by Utopia surfacing so she has to follow the pursuit as part of the gang until it reaches the point where she can take out everyone with any link to her.

Arby didn't kill her because she is in control of him.

The pages she took from the manuscript were the ones which implicated her as a L'enfant terrible. Probably playing with a toy rabbit

Becky is working for the Russians

I may stand to be corrected on some of the above

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm calling it now.

Jessica is Mr Rabbit. She's some legend type that no one has ever actually seen, trained by her insane father and knows her cover could be blown by Utopia surfacing so she has to follow the pursuit as part of the gang until it reaches the point where she can take out everyone with any link to her.

Arby didn't kill her because she is in control of him.

The pages she took from the manuscript were the ones which implicated her as a L'enfant terrible. Probably playing with a toy rabbit

Becky is working for the Russians

I may stand to be corrected on some of the above

If she looked like this, maybe.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121014124555/disney/images/5/52/Jessica_rabbit.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, there's bound to be at least one red herring & my initial thought was Becky: that while we assume she's working with the bad guys, in fact it's another / 3rd party. I do like the idea though that there's more to Jessica than we think

quad_red wrote: »

Because Arby asks him where is Jessica Hyde. Then they give him a scribbled note, he leaves, then rocks up at the house.

They are being tracked either by the phone Miliner gave them (so Milinier is working for Mr Rabbit. Or IS Mr Rabbit) or via Becky.

I took that to mean they knew where Jessica was, not necessarily the others since they're not 'together'. Or otherwise, that they knew they didn't have the manuscript any more and so didn't care about them so long as they were under observation.

Regarding Becky, I think she's involved with a 3rd party that is either against or in competition with rabbit.

Also, has there been involvement of Russians outside of it being 'Russian' flu and the prostitute (and her pimp)? I can't remember. Was that not all rabbit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Lads can someone give a brief summary of what's going on, I've been getting interrupted the past two episodes and don't really want to re-watch.
    Who is Arby's "dad"? The guy that they took at the end? I though he was the Prime Minister?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

TheStook wrote: »
    Lads can someone give a brief summary of what's going on, I've been getting interrupted the past two episodes and don't really want to re-watch.
    Who is Arby's "dad"? The guy that they took at the end? I though he was the Prime Minister?

The Guardian do a weekly blog on you might like to read through.
    "There's a creepy easter egg if you dial the police hotline number in the background when Grant's mother is making the appeal" - another one of those details that's making Utopia so entertaining..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/feb/05/utopia-episode-four

Advertisement