Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utopia (Channel 4) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ixoy wrote: »
    Also did Se7en, Zodiac, The Social Network and Fight Club among others so he's a very strong choice in my opinion.

Alien3, Panic Room, remake of House of Cards, remake of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...

The guy is one of the best in the business.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If people just didn't like the concept enough to watch the series I don't see what even the likes of Fincher could do with it. The casting, dialogue and acting were all irreproachable and it was undeniably one of the most visually stunning series' ever shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Basq wrote: »
    Well, this is absolute bollocks! :(

Source
    If people just didn't like the concept enough to watch the series I don't see what even the likes of Fincher could do with it. The casting, dialogue and acting were all irreproachable and it was undeniably one of the most visually stunning series' ever shot.

Gutted with this. I'd never heard of it until someone mentioned to me a few months ago, only finished season 2 yesterday because I'd been rationing it out instead of binging on it. It's probably one of my all-time favourite shows. Amazing how much they managed to fit into each 6-episode season. Looked fantastic, beautifully shot.
    Wouldn't mind if they'd called it a day after S2, and a fourth would have been pushing it, but they clearly had an indication they had a third season to finish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm surprised people are so frustrated that it's been cancelled, the second season was an utter trainwreck and the show has completely outlived its lifespan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Cina wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are so frustrated that it's been cancelled, the second season was an utter trainwreck and the show has completely outlived its lifespan now.

What show were you watching? Between the cinematography, the sound track, the plot, the themes and the character the show was nearly faultless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    What show were you watching? Between the cinematography, the sound track, the plot, the themes and the character the show was nearly faultless.

I wouldn't go that far but it was a cut above a lot of dramas on TV these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Mardy Bum wrote: »

The plot in season two was appalling and ultimately that's what matters, not how pretty it is, although I did love looking at those lovely fields, they were great.

Seriously, S2 just got progressively more and more idiotic throughout and descended into a steaming pile of turd.

I'm a bit bemused by Channel 4's explanation of the cancellation:
    "Utopia is truly channel-defining .... [its cancellation is] a necessary part of being able to commission new drama, a raft of which are launching on the channel throughout 2015"

So they're taking a "channel defining" show that's just been picked up for an American remake, which is quite possibly going to drive interest in the original, and canning it, after it ended on a cliffhanger, in order to take chances on a "raft" of new dramas.

I think it's going to cost them ratings in the future. I'm hardly the only one who's unlikely to be investing time in any original Channel4 drama in the near future, until I know the storyline's been wrapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

If people just didn't like the concept enough to watch the series I don't see what even the likes of Fincher could do with it.

Do we know hot faithful the remake is? Fincher has said he is going to direct every single episode so he's clearly investing allot of time and effort into it and will hardly be copying it shot for shot.

Like, it could be a totally different feeling show with very different actors and presentation whilst still retaining the rough Janus/Network/Carvel family stories.

Cut the ultra violence, make it look stylish but less technicolour and it may appeal more to a mass audience. Throw in a few more recognizable faces.... Rooney Mara as Jessica anyone?

Jessica.jpg

157f86d4361236508ed0afc3a9108558.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Cina wrote: »
    The plot in season two was appalling and ultimately that's what matters, not how pretty it is, although I did love looking at those lovely fields, they were great.

Seriously, S2 just got progressively more and more idiotic throughout and descended into a steaming pile of turd.

The Wire was effectively cancelled. Treme was cancelled. Good shows get caned. It most definitely wasn't what you described.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Utopia is on the way back - Amazon are "remaking" it with a 9 episode series. If all goes well it'll continue onto new ground. Obviously this is risky territory but obviously their main audience won't even have seen the Channel 4 version. All the principles seem to be back on board, hopefully it'll be true to its vision though I'm not sure if there'll be much point in veterans watching it other than for curiosity.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/utopia-dennis-kelly-gillian-flynn-amazon-1202757761/
    Utopia” follows group of young adults who meet online and are mercilessly hunted by a shadowy deep state organization after they come in to possession of a near mythical cult underground graphic novel. They discover the conspiracy theories in the comic’s pages may actually be real and are forced in to the dangerous, unique and ironic position of saving the world.

Yikes, will it be pitched at the Hunger Games crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

still listen to the theme tune regularly :pac: First season was mint. Can't see why it wouldn't transfer straight to US audiences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, the Channel 4 version was about a bunch of 'young adults'; heck wasn't one of the main cast an approx. 11/12 year old boy?

Not sure how I feel about this; first instinct is that it comes off like a reboot for reboots sake. A lot of Utopia's appeal was its very distinct visual identity, so any reboot is potentially going to get stuck between two stools: either it copies the bold colours and compositions of the original version - in which case it all just comes off as pointless & redundant; or else it carves out its own visual identity, but will only invite comparisons with the previous iteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Cancelling Utopia was a disgrace. Most visually stunning and atmospheric show I’ve ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Loved it when I saw it a few years after its original airing.

Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it had a really original feel about it. Something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Plus the score was superb.

Presumably this thread has popped up again as the US remake is back on apparently: http://www.nme.com/news/tv/amazon-has-ordered-a-us-remake-of-cult-drama-utopia-2301601

Bump..

..US remake finishing filmed last October for Amazon Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3r_f7Qg8Hh/?igshid=1lsjfl4tjrie0

Has a decent cast including Rainn Wilson and John Cusack.

Will presumably be on our screens this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It'll be on Amazon Prime this year. Thread here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058045786

I would love to see the original CH4 version again but cant see it listed in their ALL4 downloads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I would love to see the original CH4 version again but cant see it listed in their ALL4 downloads!

It can be borrowed from your local lending library. They can get it from a branch that has a copy.

https://librariesireland.iii.com/iii/encore/record/C__Rb2096098__SUtopia%20dvd__P0%2C9__Orightresult__U__X1?lang=eng&suite=def

https://librariesireland.iii.com/iii/encore/record/C__Rb1854634__SUtopia%20dvd__P0%2C4__Orightresult__U__X1?lang=eng&suite=def

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Regarding Channel 4 and Utopia, Channel 4 has a great show- 'Baghdad Central', where Neil Maskell (Arby, in Utopia) has just popped up in episode 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looking for Jessica Hyde?

Skerries wrote: »
    looking for Jessica Hyde?
    Not overtly, as yet, though strangely had gas mask with him, and eating from a packet of raisins.

I see that both series are on Amazon Prime!

I passed Jessica Hyde in Galway a few months ago and it took ever bit of decorum I had to not accost her and go "you're Jessica Hyde.."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No more Fincher on this, though Gillian Flynn writing all episodes gives it a chance; otherwise though there doesn't seem to be any of the kind of deep visual flair the UK series possessed. This version looks cinematic for sure, but UK Utopia had an unmistakable look to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Loved the original, not so sure an Americanised version works but will prob watch out if interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh well it's topical at least!.

• Advertisement

Wasn't it most of the way through the first season before you found out why they were being hunted?
    The teaser just gives it away.

Actually looks better than I'd expected - Arby and Wilson Wilson look more like the originals thatn I'd expected, and it seems to have kept some of the vibrant colours. Still not expecting much from it though.

Advertisement