Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback (Please thank this post so we know you have seen it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

P_1 wrote: »
    One thing that I've noticed that seems to work on other forums is that when a mod posts in a thread as a regular poster, they don't mod said thread and let the other forum mods look after the tidying up, infracting etc. I wonder if something like that might work here?
    No. Tell you why? Because certain folk still cannot see the difference between a mod posting as a regular user and when they post as a mod.

Thread could go on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

No. Tell you why? Because certain folk still cannot see the difference between a mod posting as a regular user and when they post as a mod.

Thread could go on and on...

Unfortunately it does seem that way here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

charlieIRL wrote: »
    lads I'm getting sick to the teeth of this greebo bashing, he's been here a good lot longer than the most of us and without him this place would be a lot worse off. He's entitled to his opinion like every other one of you. If you cant live with that, well there's only one thing to do....

This above highlights one of the biggest problems on here... Mods are all best mates so zero objectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

This above highlights one of the biggest problems on here... Mods are all best mates so zero objectivity.

This above highlights one of the biggest problems on here... posters assuming mod's posts are biased because they are mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Redzah wrote: »
    Charlie, with all respect, I believe there is a theme here that its not just Greebo bashing, he has kept the forum in good shape with his modding.

The theme here appears to be, that when he enters the debate on certain topical items, that he may be subject to abuse of modding powers for views which do not conform to his own especially if those views are expressed in a tone which he does not like (e.g. sarcasm). Greebo himself has plenty of wit and sarcasm so it his actions in these instances appear unjust and a simple control would be to for the other moderator (i.e. you) to take charge in these instances and moderate GreeBo as you would any other poster.

As a general comment, IMO I believe both moderators have done a good job in keeping this forum in shape, utilising a good cop bad cop approach but sometimes when the bad cop is kicking the crap out of the local immigrant coz he does not like him, his opinions or where he comes from then the good cop needs to stop him and say 'enough is enough comrade'. I think the above point is one which needed to be made and has been made but quite a few posters which forms more of a consensus for a portion of the contributors to this forum.

if you think you have examples of me abusing my mod powers (worst super powers ever btw) then report those posts, reported posts are seen by everyone in charge, not just the local mods.
    it's easy to make accusations but they aren't going to achieve anything unless you can point then out and let the facts speak for themselves.

if your problem is that I have an opinion and I don't have a problem defending it, then you need to reflect on why that's an issue for you.why shouldn't I be allowed to post as a regular poster, subject to the same rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think everybody would get many answer to their questions and understand things better if they read post #4 and #5 of this thread.

But again we are going in circles. The nature of the beast.

I've had my run ins with the main man, but I know the forum is better for him and the amount of effort he puts into it is phenomenal.

I dont agree with his debating tone or style, nor he mine.

But, if people think they can come onto the Internet and not come across different views and experiences , expressed in a strong and robust nature. You are in the wrong place. That of course, is a two way street.

This would all be sorted over a game of golf or a pint, you may find your assumptions about a person from here are totally wrong.

So a pinch of salt lads. Lets move on , enjoy the great game and forum here, not the real or end of the world.

Almaviva wrote: »
    This above highlights one of the biggest problems on here... posters assuming mod's posts are biased because they are mods.

Cheers for backing up what I'm on about. It's a horrible little click on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Can I be Mod for a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This has all gotten very bitter and over the top. It's the internet lads.

Don't let it bother you too much.

Greebo you should change your name to DisaGreebo.

Joke....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Just change the forum name to "the Greebo golf forum" and we'll all know where we stand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

No we are not. I've met ssbob a few times and greebo once but we discuss the forum at times.

Mates are not - when someone is out of line they should be told.

GreeBo wrote: »
    if you think you have examples of me abusing my mod powers (worst super powers ever btw) then report those posts, reported posts are seen by everyone in charge, not just the local mods.
    it's easy to make accusations but they aren't going to achieve anything unless you can point then out and let the facts speak for themselves.

if your problem is that I have an opinion and I don't have a problem defending it, then you need to reflect on why that's an issue for you.why shouldn't I be allowed to post as a regular poster, subject to the same rules?

I too would like to see where greebo was abusing his mod powers as well.

I think some posters need to remember just cause he mods the forum he's also a poster on the forum too. Not all his posts are as mods.

Ok some of ye think he's argumentative but thats his nature when debating a topic - sometimes the passion can take over. Every poster comes accross different, there's a few here who make their points but in a total different way but the points get discussed and thats all that

I have a few more replies but will wait till I'm off my phone and on the laptop.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    No we are not. I've met ssbob a few times and greebo once but we discuss the forum at times.

Mates are not - when someone is out of line they should be home told.

Horse ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Horse ****.

Tbh mister shifter you don't know that, all anyone can do is take issue with whatever is out of line from him/them.

Horse ****.

You think?????

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

And here in lies the problem.

You always have to defend your opinion - irrespective of how wrong in many cases it is. You always have to have the last word in all debates - irrespective of how sarcastic and smug it makes you look like. You just cannot let anybody else have an opinion thats different to yours.
    All of this is to the point whereby if anybody else carried on like you do in some threads - they would be accused or trolling.

Even earlier in this thread - whilst backing up your "opinion" - you said that posters on this forum only know what they think is best for them as opposed to is actually best for them. If that is not condescending - then I dont know what is.

Its clear as day that there are two types of posters on this forum - those that agree with Geebo and dont end up in tit for tat point scoring or those that just do not find his smugness appealing in any way and as a result are chastised over their own opinions.

So then.. If I can make a suggestion to Geebo the poster (as opposed to the Mod) - can you please stop behaving like such a cockmonkey and actually allow two-way debate as opposed to try to hammer every topic to your own liking?

And following on from that..

A suggestion to Geebo the Mod - unless you allow your alterego above to do that - then perhaps you should consider not being a Mod?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread has descended into posters having petty swipes at the mods. That is unacceptable. Posters have had 10 months to provide feedback. Pretty much everywhere else on Boards similar threads get closed after a month or so. I'm therefore closing this now. When I get chance I'll have a look through the whole thread and discuss with the local mods any actions we consider appropriate

Thanks to everyone for their input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Absoultely shocking moderation on the golf forum today in not allowing the discussion of Rory's decision to play for Ireland. It is a huge golf story and is headline sports news all over the world.

I got a warning for the following post. No where did I mention his nationality or who he should play for.
    SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Rory finally decides on who he will play for at The Olympics. Hopefully that is a weight off his shoulders. Good news.

Brian Keogh ‏@IrishGolfDesk
    "Rory McIlroy decides Olympic future: "I'm going to play for Ireland.""

There was a post with over 30 thanks disagreeing with the mod's decision not to allow discussion on the topic and of course, it was ignored and deleted.

I have started a dispute resolution here so hopefully something will come of this quasi dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I'm definitely with you on this one. To not be able to talk about who a golfer is going to play golf for on the golf forum just becomes censorship.

There was no derogatory remarks or anything, just the story all over everywhere today!

I think the mods should take a step back on discussions to only dealing with offensive and reported posts. Let a bit of lively discussion flow before putting the boot to every decent debate!

Most posters here are decent and respectful to each other and the wonderful game we all love, so please let us talk about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Shocking moderation on Golf today. The McIlroy news is as big a news item today, as it would be if Harrington decided he's not arsed playing in Rio. It's not a nationality news item now FFS. He's playing for Ireland now, let's discuss the merits he brings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Yeah that seems ludicrous, it would appear the mod in question mistakenly interpreted your post as a nationality discussion, in fairness he got it wrong, (which we're all capable of doing from time to time as we are only human), only time will tell if he is man enough to admit he's mistake and correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

I just really didnt like the 'hard of hearing' punch line from greebo.
    The points they both make are fine re nationality and I accept, just the line above irks me and the mod in question should apologise for this as it causes offence.

Most people are responsible adults here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I was really looking forward to coming on boards after I heard the news however I can't believe we cant talk about an Irish Olympic team member. Come on its all a bit Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Just see this thread and getting round to reading all of this now. If it wasn't out of place at this stage, I'd just like to add the following.

While I appreciate there is a balance to be struck, I do think the moderator's could err more on the side of allowing a post, as long as it is not abusive/otherwise against the charter. For those who spend most of their time 'lurking' and only take to posting after some time this would perhaps encourage them to contribute more.

By way of example, during one big tournament I made a comment about Montgomerie's commentary. The post was lighthearted and not in anyway abusive towards him. A moderator subsequent posted that comments about the commentators were not allowed as they were 'boring'. While the moderator in question is perfectly entitled to feel that the post was boring, it does seem like a rather strange standard to use to disallow a comment/thread of discussion.

From the perspective of someone who reads the forum a lot but doesn't post that frequently, having to worry about whether a particular post meets a particular moderator's definition of 'value adding' is not particularly conducive to getting broader participation from a wider variety of poster's across the forum.

Finally, I'd just like to say that I do greatly enjoy the forum and I appreciate the (unpaid) work that the moderators do to keep it in good order, so I hope my comment is taken on board as intended- as constructive feedback rather than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

In other news Re the first page of this thread when did ajcurry become ParLance, I thought you'd left us. Welcome back :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

m r c wrote: »
    In other news Re the first page of this thread when did ajcurry become ParLance, I thought you'd left us. Welcome back :-)

I never left ;)

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Absoultely shocking moderation on the golf forum today in not allowing the discussion of Rory's decision to play for Ireland. It is a huge golf story and is headline sports news all over the world.

I got a warning for the following post. No where did I mention his nationality or who he should play for.

There was a post with over 30 thanks disagreeing with the mod's decision not to allow discussion on the topic and of course, it was ignored and deleted.

I have started a dispute resolution here so hopefully something will come of this quasi dictatorship.

We don't allow such topics because we have painfully learned how they end up.

The number of thanks a post receives is irrelevant. This is not a democracy, there was no vote carried out.
    A quick search will show anyone who is unaware how nationality threads end up, every single time.

Discussion of your warning is not allowed in thread, even in feedback. Please leave it to pm and drp.

It's not a quasi dictatorship, there are 3 mods who run the forum, occasionally we solicit opinions from members, but ours not a vote, the people don't get to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.

The post was not ignored, the user was infracted, as per the forum rules.

gman127 wrote: »
    I'm definitely with you on this one. To not be able to talk about who a golfer is going to play golf for on the golf forum just becomes censorship.

There was no derogatory remarks or anything, just the story all over everywhere today!

I think the mods should take a step back on discussions to only dealing with offensive and reported posts. Let a bit of lively discussion flow before putting the boot to every decent debate!

Most posters here are decent and respectful to each other and the wonderful game we all love, so please let us talk about it!
    flanzer wrote: »
    Shocking moderation on Golf today. The McIlroy news is as big a news item today, as it would be if Harrington decided he's not arsed playing in Rio. It's not a nationality news item now FFS. He's playing for Ireland now, let's discuss the merits he brings
    Yeah that seems ludicrous, it would appear the mod in question mistakenly interpreted your post as a nationality discussion, in fairness he got it wrong, (which we're all capable of doing from time to time as we are only human), only time will tell if he is man enough to admit he's mistake and correct it.
    I was really looking forward to coming on boards after I heard the news however I can't believe we cant talk about an Irish Olympic team member. Come on its all a bit Irish!
    You can talk about the golfer all you want, you cannot reference hour choice of nationality or related topics.

Carpo86 wrote: »
    Just see this thread and getting round to reading all of this now. If it wasn't out of place at this stage, I'd just like to add the following.

By way of example, during one big tournament I made a comment about Montgomerie's commentary. The post was lighthearted and not in anyway abusive towards him. A moderator subsequent posted that comments about the commentators were not allowed as they were 'boring'. While the moderator in question is perfectly entitled to feel that the post was boring, it does seem like a rather strange standard to use to disallow a comment/thread of discussion.

From the perspective of someone who reads the forum a lot but doesn't post that frequently, having to worry about whether a particular post meets a particular moderator's definition of 'value adding' is not particularly conducive to getting broader participation from a wider variety of poster's across the forum.

Finally, I'd just like to say that I do greatly enjoy the forum and I appreciate the (unpaid) work that the moderators do to keep it in good order, so I hope my comment is taken on board as intended- as constructive feedback rather than anything else.

Appreciate the post.
    I warned your post, note not a yellow card, because constant complaining about Monty or someone else is painful, boring and derails the thread. I'm sure you don't want lots of posts about the colour of the set backdrop on sky in during each tournament thread, this is the same thing. Related about Monty ad nauseam.
    As I pointed out before, start a commentators thread if you want.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

We don't allow such topics because we have painfully learned how they end up.

The number of thanks a post receives is irrelevant. This is not a democracy, there was no vote carried out.
    A quick search will show anyone who is unaware how nationality threads end up, every single time.

Discussion of your warning is not allowed in thread, even in feedback. Please leave it to pm and drp.

It's not a quasi dictatorship, there are 3 mods who run the forum, occasionally we solicit opinions from members, but ours not a vote, the people don't get to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.

The post was not ignored, the user was infracted, as per the forum rules.

Greebo I think we need to get a category mod involved in this because you clearly are trying to rail your own agenda and not do what is good for the forum. By all means, ban people discussing politics but to not allow us to discuss Rory's news today is just disillusion on your own part.

Like I said, in my post, I did not mention his nationality or who he should play for. I did not breach the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement