Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback (Please thank this post so we know you have seen it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Can we not just have a poll to get rid of Greebo as a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,138 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

m r c wrote: »
    Arguing with a moderator
    - Do not argue with a moderator in a thread after they have given a warning or a ban etc. If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question. They will discuss it with you. You can then, if unsatisfied with the PM route, take things further along the Dispute Resolution Procedure (DRP).

Giving cheek or attitude to a moderator will get you banned.

Do not under any circumstances complain about a mod on this forum. Do it either on PM or in Feedback. Failure to adhere to any of the "mod" related rules will result in an instant 1 week ban.

All of the above means that if Greebo disagrees there is no longer any point in continuing with what ever point (right or wrong) you were trying to make. In other words when greebo joins the debate/conversation there is no longer any point in having an opinion.

That said I think he/she was worse a year or so ago.
    None of the above means that!
    GreeBo as a moderator doesnt post on threads.
    Have you ever seen me argue a point while typing like this?
    No you havent, because I never do. You can argue all day long with me, Im totally fine with that. No one has every been infracted for disagreeing with my opinions. Breaching the charter gets you infracted.
    So you can disagree and argue back with GreeBo the posters opinions all you want, but do it within the rules of the forum. If you dont you will get infracted by GreeBo the mod. I can separate the two, why cant you?

If you can point out an example of where you think I used the fact that I am a moderator in an argument by all means point it out to me (but you better be quick :P)

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Apologies up front, as it's the done thing here, but that's just plain downright rude.
    You have no idea what went on behind the scenes regarding this, so I really dont feel that you have any right to comment on it.
    It's these dismissive remarks which has this forum the way it is- your downright refusal to entertain any proposals (outside of the initiation of the Epic Threads for some reason) and constant rebuttal of any criticism
    Perhaps its something to do with how people broach their proposals?
    Im perfectly willing to discuss any ideas, take a read back over this thread. There has been plenty of discussion about plenty of new ideas.
    (you took that thread completely OT) serve only to reinforce the idea that you should at least moderate your moderation or do the other unspeakable. As you once rudely suggested to me- GEDDIT?
    Thats 100% incorrect. The topic of the 42 was well underway before I got there.
    I think you just need to accept the fact that on here Im two people.
    A moderator and a poster, a small number of people dont seem willing or able to accept that Im perfectly entitled to my own opinions and to defend my position as a poster, without the fact of me being a moderator coming into it.
    You dont lose an argument with me because Im a moderator, you lose it because you cannot backup your opinion, or you quit.
    Neither of those facts are my problem.
    So even though it's neither fantastic or hasn't got to anywhere near a thousand posts it's still epic? Not a hope. Change it- take it on the chin and move on.
    It is an epic thread. Epic threads are long living threads to catch everything about a certain topic. They are not epic because of their age or size or fantasticness, its because of what they are designed for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

None of the above means that!
    GreeBo as a moderator doesnt post on threads.
    Have you ever seen me argue a point while typing like this?
    No you havent, because I never do. You can argue all day long with me, Im totally fine with that. No one has every been infracted for disagreeing with my opinions. Breaching the charter gets you infracted.
    So you can disagree and argue back with GreeBo the posters opinions all you want, but do it within the rules of the forum. If you dont you will get infracted by GreeBo the mod. I can separate the two, why cant you?

If you can point out an example of where you think I used the fact that I am a moderator in an argument by all means point it out to me (but you better be quick )

Greebo...... Going off topic is against the charter unless YOU decide it's ok. And it doesn't matter if you are typing in bold when you make your mind up, does it?

m r c wrote: »
    Greebo...... Going off topic is against the charter unless YOU decide it's ok. And it doesn't matter if you are typing in bold when you make your mind up, does it?
    I dont know any other way of saying this...that thread was not off topic. The original point was done and the thread moved on naturally. There was no need for any mod intervention. Why do you think its a problem (other than the fact that as the thread went on, I had a different opinion to some other posters)?

All of the posts quoted below happened before I uttered a word on that thread. The first off-topic post was post #3, yet its my fault for taking the thread off topic somehow?

ForeRight wrote: »
    I saw Schevchenko play with Rory in the pro am before the Irish open this year. He is a 2 handicapper and this year I think I read he is playing on a minor tour.

He was well able to play from what I saw but by no means near good enough IMO.

Slightly off topic I saw a single figure lad have 6 pars in a row to start a round last week on the monty in carton followed by a 42 on the 7th... Yes that's a "forty two"
    Bunker problems!
    It was a medal.
    Holy ****eronii, how did that come about? And I want a shot by shot account:p

How did he even count it up?
    Multiple penalties, hacks, slashes, plugs followed by a magnificent 1 putt as always :)
    Jimdagym wrote: »
    As the quote goes, he missed the putt for 41 :D

Lunatic score though.
    ssbob wrote: »
    Guys a couple of points.......
    • The lad who had a 42, surely there is a point in the hole where you pick and just NR that hole on your card......you ain't gonna gain anything and yourscore is going to be reduced to a double/triple bogey for CSS etc....
    • Shenchenko(spelling?) and the likes get invites to increase sponsor revenue and spectators so I have no problem with him playing if he is going to bring people to watch the sport.
    • As for Pawel, I would say he felt like curling up and dying!
    Strokes comp
    fullstop wrote: »
    I think he may have known he wasn't in the running after about 25. Pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Do other boards.ie forums engage in such navel gazing as the golf one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Almaviva wrote: »
    Do other boards.ie forums engage in such navel gazing as the golf one ?

:)

Wouldn't say they could stomach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

GreeBo wrote: »

You have no idea what went on behind the scenes regarding this, so I really dont feel that you have any right to comment on it.

You saying I can't read a thread with my own eyes now? What went on behind the scenes doesn't concern me, and I have every right to comment on your dragging of that thread off topic. As you well know I was infracted for letting you know you did in the same thread.

Perhaps its something to do with how people broach their proposals?
    Im perfectly willing to discuss any ideas, take a read back over this thread. There has been plenty of discussion about plenty of new ideas.

More t o do with how their proposals are treated. Slam dunk into a waste paper basket springs to mind.
    Thats 100% incorrect. The topic of the 42 was well underway before I got there.
    I think you just need to accept the fact that on here Im two people.
    A moderator and a poster, a small number of people dont seem willing or able to accept that Im perfectly entitled to my own opinions and to defend my position as a poster, without the fact of me being a moderator coming into it.
    You dont lose an argument with me because Im a moderator, you lose it because you cannot backup your opinion, or you quit.
    Neither of those facts are my problem.

Ah the ole "I'm 2 people" gambit. Well sick of that argument.The fact that you are moderator exposes your opinion more to ridicule or debate. You seem to be the only moderator unaware of this.
    Making up facts to suit your own agenda is not my problem either, but if it helps you to"win":rolleyes: your arguments so be it. Quitting when there's good reason to stay committed is unforgivable though. I wouldn't worry on that front here.

It is an epic thread. Epic threads are long living threads to catch everything about a certain topic. They are not epic because of their age or size or fantasticness, its because of what they are designed for.

Nah, it's not. Neither is the "not so epic" thread. Take them down,they're foolish. they do nothing for the place only further cement ambiguity in the whole forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I've no problems with the way this forum is run and I want to thanks the mods for doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

With recent events may I suggest we change the thread title in the feedback thread to

"Epic Feedback Thread"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've found a way to have an unmoderated life here.
    Just get ignored by GreeBo.

ForeRight lol.

• Advertisement

You saying I can't read a thread with my own eyes now? What went on behind the scenes doesn't concern me,
    No, Im saying that you dont know about the private messages and other thread so cannot possibly comment on my thoughts about that poster.
    and I have every right to comment on your dragging of that thread off topic.
    No one is denying you a right to comment on anything. It just so happens in this case you are way wrong, but feel free to comment away.
    However if you are trying to change my opinion on something, try to make some points that you can back up (like I have done several times), shouting and stomping your feet isnt an argument.
    As you well know I was infracted for letting you know you did in the same thread.
    You were infracted for back seat moderating, same as anyone else would have been. You seem to think its some personal response by me because I disagree with you, when the reality is that I couldnt give a flying fiddlers that you agree with me or not, Im perfectly capable of arguing my point without having the word "Moderator" beside my name AND doing it within the charter.
    I highly recommend you try it.
    More t o do with how their proposals are treated. Slam dunk into a waste paper basket springs to mind.
    Not at all, sure arent you busy bitching about the epic threads that was an idea from another poster, but Hey! dont let the facts get in your way.

Ah the ole "I'm 2 people" gambit. Well sick of that argument.The fact that you are moderator exposes your opinion more to ridicule or debate. You seem to be the only moderator unaware of this.
    Nope I just the one person, I am however blessed with being able to wear multiple hats.
    Im a little confused as to why you think a moderators opinion is more open to ridicule that any one elses? Perhaps you can expand on that idea a little?
    Making up facts to suit your own agenda is not my problem either, but if it helps you to"win":rolleyes: your arguments so be it. Quitting when there's good reason to stay committed is unforgivable though. I wouldn't worry on that front here.
    What facts were made up chief?
    I dont understand the rest of that paragraph at all, sorry.

Nah, it's not. Neither is the "not so epic" thread. Take them down,they're foolish. they do nothing for the place only further cement ambiguity in the whole forum.
    Oh noes, golfers in looking foolish scandal!
    Lighten up.

With recent events may I suggest we change the thread title in the feedback thread to

"Epic Feedback Thread"

Dont be ridiculous, clearly its not long enough or awesome enough to qualify as epic!...sheesh, amateur:rolleyes:!

Modding is OK here for me too.

Plenty of others are both more and less modded than golf (currently on a 6 month ban in another due to non modding becoming hammer blow modding - but a decent balance is struck in golf I think, and I prefer one that lets things flow rather than locks and bans being flung around too liberally).

Almaviva wrote: »
    Modding is OK here for me too.

Plenty of others are both more and less modded than golf (currently on a 6 month ban in another due to non modding becoming hammer blow modding - but a decent balance is struck in golf I think, and I prefer one that lets things flow rather than locks and bans being flung around too liberally).

Hammer-blow modding is typically what happens after a whilewhen modding becomes too lax...people start to push boundaries and suddenly the forum is in a heap.
    I think we had the same here about 3 years ago when Licksy left/was leaving; every second thread turned into a bitchfest and the forum was almost dead on its feet imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

No, Im saying that you dont know about the private messages and other thread so cannot possibly comment on my thoughts about that poster.

Read my post again.

No one is denying you a right to comment on anything. It just so happens in this case you are way wrong, but feel free to comment away.
    However if you are trying to change my opinion on something, try to make some points that you can back up (like I have done several times), shouting and stomping your feet isnt an argument.

To quote your previous post-"You have no idea what went on behind the scenes regarding this, so I really dont feel that you have any right to comment on it."
    You were infracted for back seat moderating, same as anyone else would have been. You seem to think its some personal response by me because I disagree with you, when the reality is that I couldnt give a flying fiddlers that you agree with me or not, Im perfectly capable of arguing my point without having the word "Moderator" beside my name AND doing it within the charter.
    I highly recommend you try it.

I wasn't questioning that decision, you didn't even have one to make. What I am saying is I was fully up to speed on that thread. Maybe that bit was hard to understand.
    I recommend you reread it.Highly.
    Not at all, sure arent you busy bitching about the epic threads that was an idea from another poster, but Hey! dont let the facts get in your way.

I couldn't give a monkey's about the epic threads. They're just in no way epic, especially from a visitor's point of view when he goes to the forum front page.

They should be renamed.

Nope I just the one person, I am however blessed with being able to wear multiple hats.
    Im a little confused as to why you think a moderators opinion is more open to ridicule that any one elses? Perhaps you can expand on that idea a little?

PM the other Mods, ask them why they have a quieter life than you.
    What facts were made up chief?
    I dont understand the rest of that paragraph at all, sorry.

Why address me as chief? I wouldn't let you wash my car.

Oh noes, golfers in looking foolish scandal!
    Lighten up.

You stay classy Geebo.

Read my post again.

To quote your previous post-"You have no idea what went on behind the scenes regarding this, so I really dont feel that you have any right to comment on it."

I wasn't questioning that decision, you didn't even have one to make. What I am saying is I was fully up to speed on that thread. Maybe that bit was hard to understand.
    I recommend you reread it.Highly.
    You commented on what I said about the other posters opinion. That has nothing to do with the thread in question. Again, you dont know what went on behind the scenes with that poster that lead me to form that opinion of them.

I couldn't give a monkey's about the epic threads. They're just in no way epic, especially from a visitor's point of view when he goes to the forum front page.

They should be renamed.
    Im not going to explain to you what epic means on boards again, sorry.

You stay classy Geebo.
    The ironing is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A lot of children in here need to stop stooping to each others levels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

A lot of children in here need to stop stooping to each others levels...
    +1
    Some people thrive on inane pointless back and forths, also they say you shouldn't argue with stupid people, because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

This is just going from bad to worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

That has nothing to do with the thread in question. Again, you dont know what went on behind the scenes with that poster that lead me to form that opinion of them.

The ironing is delicious.

In all fairness Greebo, we've heard the saying
    Attack the post, not the poster on numerous occassions,
    I think you're on borderline now and I believe if you were in someone elses shoes, you'd have received an infraction/warning by Greebo at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I wonder is it possible to take the feedback thread off topic???

Oh wait........

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

I think the feedback thread is wack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

@Greebo / @IlikUrGee: Please take your argument to PM as it is of no benefit to this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

lads I'm getting sick to the teeth of this greebo bashing, he's been here a good lot longer than the most of us and without him this place would be a lot worse off. He's entitled to his opinion like every other one of you. If you cant live with that, well there's only one thing to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

charlieIRL wrote: »
    lads I'm getting sick to the teeth of this greebo bashing, he's been here a good lot longer than the most of us and without him this place would be a lot worse off. He's entitled to his opinion like every other one of you. If you cant live with that, well there's only one thing to do....

Charlie, with all respect, I believe there is a theme here that its not just Greebo bashing, he has kept the forum in good shape with his modding.

The theme here appears to be, that when he enters the debate on certain topical items, that he may be subject to abuse of modding powers for views which do not conform to his own especially if those views are expressed in a tone which he does not like (e.g. sarcasm). Greebo himself has plenty of wit and sarcasm so it his actions in these instances appear unjust and a simple control would be to for the other moderator (i.e. you) to take charge in these instances and moderate GreeBo as you would any other poster.

As a general comment, IMO I believe both moderators have done a good job in keeping this forum in shape, utilising a good cop bad cop approach but sometimes when the bad cop is kicking the crap out of the local immigrant coz he does not like him, his opinions or where he comes from then the good cop needs to stop him and say 'enough is enough comrade'. I think the above point is one which needed to be made and has been made but quite a few posters which forms more of a consensus for a portion of the contributors to this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Redzah I am in 100% agreement with that. I've tried and failed to make this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

The mere suggestion that this is Greebo bashing or some sort of witch hunt is laughable.
    Believe it or not I actually agree with some of his viewpoints and I have some simliar opinions about about the game, but the issue here is it appears there are two sets of rules.
    One for Greebo and his disciples and one for the rest of us who don't engage in brown nosing.
    Who mods the mods?.

Mods are modded ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

One thing that I've noticed that seems to work on other forums is that when a mod posts in a thread as a regular poster, they don't mod said thread and let the other forum mods look after the tidying up, infracting etc. I wonder if something like that might work here?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

david-k wrote: »
    Who mods the mods?.

If you have an issue with modding contact the CMods. If you are still not satisfied start a Help Desk thread (which will typically be looked at initially by the CMods but is also the avenue to access the Admins)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement