Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had to pull out of a round in Kileen Castle this weekend due to the county lockdowns. Work event, where we get the round, a buggy, lunch and dinner, plus prizes, for €10. Pretty ****ing pissed i'll be missing that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

Kiith wrote: »
    Had to pull out of a round in Kileen Castle this weekend due to the county lockdowns. Work event, where we get the round, a buggy, lunch and dinner, plus prizes, for €10. Pretty ****ing pissed i'll be missing that :(

**** me, thats a bummer. Im in two societys with work and missed everything so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Is boards behaving odd for anyone today? saying there is new posts in threads and when I click into them it doesn't show the new postS?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Same here, just force a refresh ( Control + F5 ) and that should work for you...assume is a cache issue?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

There seems to be an issue, so it's not just you.

• Advertisement

Ive changed browser and it seems to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Lads, buying a pair of waterproof trousers.. do i go up a size or what way does that work?

Lads, buying a pair of waterproof trousers.. do i go up a size or what way does that work?

Really depends on the brand I find. Elverys have some Proquip ones at the moment. My waist size would point me to the Large, but when I tried them on the X-large was much more comfy and you need that bit of extra room for wearing over your trousers.

Its not something I would buy online without having tried it on in a shop beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm going to order a driving net for the back garden and looking for opinions of anyone who has one. Thinking of going for the one linked below, anything to be wary of or to look out for?

https://www.networldsports.ie/forb-pro-pop-up-golf-net.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I don’t know why this thread is called the off topic golf thread lol

• Advertisement

We could probably use a general discussion thread as well, for random golf topics that don't need a dedicated thread. Then keep this for non-golf stuff?

Been watching Le Tour.
    Great victory for Sam Bennett today to seal the green jersey on Avenue Des Champs Elysees.
    Mad that he is from the same village as Sean Kelly

Seve OB wrote: »
    Been watching Le Tour.
    Great victory for Sam Bennett today to seal the green jersey on Avenue Des Champs Elysees.
    Mad that he is from the same village as Sean Kelly

Yea a great victory and achievement. Could he potentially win it in years to come?

On a different subject, Anyone got a any good recommendations for playlists to listen to when practicing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

etxp wrote: »
    Yea a great victory and achievement. Could he potentially win it in years to come?

On a different subject, Anyone got a any good recommendations for playlists to listen to when practicing?

Practicing what etxp?
    Hope it's not golf or else the off-topic police will be calling.... :)

I used to follow cycling a fair bit years ago, but with all the scandals etc I can't get into it at all now. So much so that I'm a bit numb to Sam's achievement, which is a shame.

PARlance wrote: »
    Practicing what etxp?
    Hope it's not golf or else the off-topic police will be calling.... :)

I used to follow cycling a fair bit years ago, but with all the scandals etc I can't get into it at all now. So much so that I'm a bit numb to Sam's achievement, which is a shame.

Practicing Baseball :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't know myself, I would find the concept of hitting with pods in very strange... I would think.

This probably sums up a lot of visits to the practice nets! Initial optimism ending with deep and dark reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

That clip reminds me of having to get the bus back to Dublin of a Sunday night after a weekend on the rip at home... There used to be a heavy metal programme of a Sunday evening on Radio 2/2fm at the time that the driver insisted on playing all the way to Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

etxp wrote: »
    It's unlikely. From what I know of him, he's primarily a sprinter and although that will give him a good shot at the green jersey and stage wins, you have to be a bit more of an all-rounder to win the Tour. Stephen Roche was a very good time-trialler (but not much of a sprinter), it was that and his ability to go suicidally fast on downhill stretches that got him the win back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's unlikely. From what I know of him, he's primarily a sprinter and although that will give him a good shot at the green jersey and stage wins, you have to be a bit more of an all-rounder to win the Tour. Stephen Roche was a very good time-trialler (but not much of a sprinter), it was that and his ability to go suicidally fast on downhill stretches that got him the win back in the day.

More like impossible. He came in bottom 10 finishers

I have suspicions that lockdown helped his chances

gypsy79 wrote: »
    More like impossible. He came in bottom 10 finishers

I have suspicions that lockdown helped his chances
    I wouldn't say impossible. Cycling teams work for the designated leader(s) who's most likely to finish high in general classification. A guy like Bennett would have had some help towards stage wins, but would have devoted a lot of his time in the saddle towards helping his team mates. If his team decide that he has a chance of winning the Tour, his position in the team would change. But generally, sprinters will not get that opportunity.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say impossible. Cycling teams work for the designated leader(s) who's most likely to finish high in general classification. A guy like Bennett would have had some help towards stage wins, but would have devoted a lot of his time in the saddle towards helping his team mates. If his team decide that he has a chance of winning the Tour, his position in the team would change. But generally, sprinters will not get that opportunity.

eh its impossible
    he cant climb
    he is a sprinter.... and a damn fine one at that

as for whoever reckons lockdown favoured him, nah, he moved team which had clearly been holding him back when playing second fiddle to sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

What's wrong with pinning your flag to the mast?
    If it was Biden would you post it here?
    Jack supports Trump. There maybe reasons but then again he just maybe like what he stands for?

Saw on social media yesterday a uk betting company showing what the polls would be if people in the uk voted on the US election. Big win for Biden across the board....only problem is theyre from the UK.

I haven't a clue how it will go and to be honest every outcome is possible.

Will it affect me.... hopefully not and quite unlikely.
    The US election has become entertainment in recent years
    Real politics are becoming less and less viewed in the media and it's mostly what sh1t can we dig up on the other guy.

Don't think many golfers will be swayed by jacks announcement,same way if shane said to vote PBP I doubt many here would.

Could be wrong though.

There are two sides to every story. Free speech is not allowe

Oh wait it isnt....the paper that reported about crackhead Hunter Bidens Russian/Ukrainian liasons on his hard drive

There are two sides to every story. Free speech is not allowe

Oh wait it isnt....the paper that reported about crackhead Hunter Bidens Russian/Ukrainian liasons on his hard drive
    What?

What's the connection between that statement and the ridiculous Hunter Biden laptop story? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's unbelievable about someone voting for Trump, you do know he won the last election right?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What?

What's the connection between that statement and the ridiculous Hunter Biden laptop story? :confused:

Because he is expressing his opinion. IE Free speech.

The laptop story isnt crazy. It isnt even been refuted at this stage. It is been silenced. This is a clear breach of free speech

And it is this kind of behaviour by the media combined with corruption with Democratic party that means that buffoon has a chance of winning again

Because he is expressing his opinion. IE Free speech.

The laptop story isnt crazy. It isnt even been refuted at this stage. It is been silenced. This is a clear breach of free speech

And it is this kind of behaviour by the media combined with corruption with Democratic party that means that buffoon has a chance of winning again
    Sorry, but it's completely discredited. I don't doubt that some of the emails and other stuff is accurate, but it didn't come from a laptop. Whoever did this was technically illiterate or thought nobody would look at it too closely, but who has text messages on a laptop? And then there was the hilarious screenshot of a text message (supposedly on this laptop) shown on a blackberry of an iPhone screen connected to a Russian network. Seriously, this stuff was hacked from an iCloud account and then seeded with supposedly compromising material. Even the NYP reporter who wrote the article wouldn't put his name to it. Fox wouldn't touch it. Fox!

Anyway, I have this bridge you might want to buy.

What's unbelievable about someone voting for Trump, you do know he won the last election right?
    That's not the unbelievable bit. It's the complete disconnect from 'the average person' he thinks is doing well under Trump. And the glossing over the racism and insults. It's utterly removed from reality and written from a position of total privilege.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but it's completely discredited. I don't doubt that some of the emails and other stuff is accurate, but it didn't come from a laptop. Whoever did this was technically illiterate or thought nobody would look at it too closely, but who has text messages on a laptop? And then there was the hilarious screenshot of a text message (supposedly on this laptop) shown on a blackberry of an iPhone screen connected to a Russian network. Seriously, this stuff was hacked from an iCloud account and then seeded with supposedly compromising material. Even the NYP reporter who wrote the article wouldn't put his name to it. Fox wouldn't touch it. Fox!

Anyway, I have this bridge you might want to buy.

Does it matter how the information was got. The fact is that the story is been suppressed. So no the story been referred to as "Hunter Bidens laptop" has not been discredited

Advertisement