Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Unless you own a helicopter I don’t think you can even be considered for membership at hogs head :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seve OB wrote: »
    Unless you own a helicopter I don’t think you can even be considered for membership at hogs head :D

7c687debe61f4b5aca1f1465811bbd05.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Kiith wrote: »
    We could use a General Discussion thread tbh, for stupid questions like mine and others that don't need a new thread...then we could keep the off topic thread off topic.

What's the issue with creating a new, short lived thread for your question?
    There is no downside, every other forum works that way!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No real issue with it, just that it can get a bit cluttered at times with lost of minor, easily answered questions. It's just more of a personal preference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

You'd also be more likely to get an answer on this thread where there's a lot of people subscribed and looking at it, than creating a thread where people will only see if they are exclusively browsing the golf forum..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Am looking at joining a local course in January and have spent the last few months updating my fairly old bag with some newer stuff. My irons are TM Speedbladez and I like them well enough and they're barely used so happy to keep going with them. I've picked up a 2nd hand M2 3W and 4H to replace a positively ancient McGregor fairway wood set. My plan is to pick up two new wedges in January as its probably the strongest part of my game so happy to invest in some decent kit and hope to pick up a 3h in place of a 5w second hand somewhere. Which brings me to my query, my driver is a Nike VRS covert (the red one). I love the look of it and when I hit it well it goes a decent way though not sure how far to be honest as my local range is fairly crap in terms of distance markers, I'd estimate somewhere between 210-230ish. Now that I'm catching up with the latest tech I'm wondering if I should upgrade the driver to something newer and get fitted also? The course I'm joining is reasonably lengthy and rewards length off the tee so I'm thinking its an area I would potentially benefit the most from. A lot of YouTube videos and forums suggest that the biggest difference between my club and the newer ones is forgiveness, I generally tend to miss right with a massive slice so I figure I need all the help I can get.

Whats peoples thoughts on here and where would people recommend to go to get fitted in the new year? I know there's a lot of new clubs coming out in the first few months of next year so my plan was to maybe hang on until March and get fitted then. I'm based in Carlow and my googling research hasn't brought back much in the way of local fitters outside of O' Dwyers in Kilkenny and McGuirks in Dublin/Waterford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Please start a new thread for Golf related topics or post in General Thread here...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058140919

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Sorry slave1, posted there now. Thought this was the place for stuff not really worthy of a thread, apologies.

Sorry slave1, posted there now. Thought this was the place for stuff not really worthy of a thread, apologies.

I though it is self explanatory.
    Off topic, ie nothing to do with golf!

Seve OB wrote: »
    I though it is self explanatory.
    Off topic, ie nothing to do with golf!

In retrospect yes it is :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Merry Christmas everyone. Hopefully see plenty of you in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Happy Christmas everyone. Hope everyone got some golf presents ☺️ Hope to get to an outing this year for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Happy Christmas to all the boardies.
    Hope to see ye next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Happy new year to all ye mad crazy cranky ball bashing weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

i have a waterproof jacket that was stored beside a bottle of sunscreen spray. This leaked onto the jacket, i tried washing it but the stains are still there. Does anyone have a good method of removing stains from a waterproof jacket? Not sure i can use the usual chemicals like Vanish/Cillit Bang etc.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I was watching the golf over the weekend at the Phoenix open and seen a few pictures of the crowds at the Superbowl! How is this possible? considering I read over the weekend that America had one of the worst days since the pandemic started!
    Feels like we are the only country in the world in lockdown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

benny79 wrote: »
    I was watching the golf over the weekend at the Phoenix open and seen a few pictures of the crowds at the Superbowl! How is this possible? considering I read over the weekend that America had one of the worst days since the pandemic started!
    Feels like we are the only country in the world in lockdown!

The US is very different to Ireland and EU in rules, there is a lot of autonomy at the state level to make decisions.

You would imagine that ownership of these decisions rests in a very centralised manner but I know in the NBA, a lot of consideration relates to the city/state when making decisions.

7.5k of the spectators were vaccinated Healthcare workers so around 30% covered.

For example the Miami Heat have plans to open back up using Covid sniffer dogs, they are also based in Florida and I'm pretty sure Florida has been coping alright with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Odd one here but hoping someone can answer this one. It’s golf related but didn’t know where to put it and wasn’t starting a thread.

I’m trying to think of a course I’ve played in Leinster where the tee box is on the right hand side of a different fairway. Kind of nestled into to the RHS. You play your tee shots across this fairway almost perpendicular to the hole you’re playing. The green is then uphill quite a bit.

I think it’s Delgany but I only played it once and I’m not sure. It’s messing with my head! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

the lawman wrote: »
    Odd one here but hoping someone can answer this one. It’s golf related but didn’t know where to put it and wasn’t starting a thread.

I’m trying to think of a course I’ve played in Leinster where the tee box is on the right hand side of a different fairway. Kind of nestled into to the RHS. You play your tee shots across this fairway almost perpendicular to the hole you’re playing. The green is then uphill quite a bit.

I think it’s Delgany but I only played it once and I’m not sure. It’s messing with my head! Cheers.

Delgany 13 or 14 I think. The other hole plays through the valley. Short enough hole

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Clontarf has a similar hole too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

copacetic wrote: »
    Clontarf has a similar hole too

It does, second is across water. And is 14

13 is a really quirky hole

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

the lawman wrote: »

16th hole, Carlow Golf Club. Tee off from an elevated tee on the right of the 15th fairway. Your second (should be) through a gap between two hills over a dip to an elevated narrow green. 401 Yards, Index 2. Great hole that plays longer as anything short of the green goes back down the dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Sounds like Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

It’s Carlow alright. The 16th. Just couldn’t recall it and was mincing my head. I have a great memory of all the golf I play so this was driving me nuts.

Great hole that 16. Thanks for helping guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Bryson must be the ultimate head melter though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Wombatman wrote: »
    Bryson must be the ultimate head melter though.....

One more reason Europe will win the Ryder Cup on American soil despite having a weaker team!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don’t think it warrants a thread, but in competitions where there’s categories (ie scratch cup); if you’re off 4 and you’re in the 0-5 category but the slope rating of the course makes you be off 6 there, which category are you gonna be playing in? 0-5 or 6-11? I’d assume the 0-5 one?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Don’t think it warrants a thread, but in competitions where there’s categories (ie scratch cup); if you’re off 4 and you’re in the 0-5 category but the slope rating of the course makes you be off 6 there, which category are you gonna be playing in? 0-5 or 6-11? I’d assume the 0-5 one?

Handicap index

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Any good tutorials to fix a slice. Slicing my driver on every shot and my back is killing me. Dont think i am shifting my weight properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭coillcam

Irishder wrote: »
    Any good tutorials to fix a slice. Slicing my driver on every shot and my back is killing me. Dont think i am shifting my weight properly

I'd say go for a lesson and the pro will pick up your mistake(s) after a few swings. Also, if your current technique is causing pain, they may suggest a more comfortable swing setup.

It's about €30-€40 so cheaper than a box of Pro V's (which you'd lose anyway with a bad slice) and potentially could save you trips to the physio.

Advertisement