Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

etxp wrote: »
    He has brought us the tightest title race in a long time. Once he got the better of liverpool tactically they had nothing.

Not sure how he is responsible for the tight title race but I'd hardly call putting 10 men behind the ball and waiting for a mistake a tactical master class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Here's the alves incident

https://vine.co/v/MvgqYJzeTVj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Not sure how he is responsible for the tight title race but I'd hardly call putting 10 men behind the ball and waiting for a mistake a tactical master class.

I dont think anyone said it was a tactical masterclass. He is stuck in the middle of a champions league week coming to the end of the season. He made 7 changes and still beat the team who have looked unstoppable in attack for the last 4 months.
    He is certainly the best manager managing in the premier league. His record when it really matters is impeccable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Well the title race was over if liverpool won today. He has opened it up again for three teams to possibly win it. I never said it was a tactical master class but it was tactical enough to win the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Beating Liverpool and City twice helped leave 3 teams still in it.
    Of course, Jose doesn't think Chelsea are.... More dark arts

He's a tactical genius, Liverpool hadn't the answers today, teams rarely have the answers against him.

He's a winner and he messes with peoples heads.
    He has won everywhere he has been.
    Looks like he's winning in the off topic forum too.

I find your stance on him a bit hard to believe when you've previously said Daglish served Liverpool with distinction as a manager.

• Advertisement

Best manager in the modern game and has been for years.

Winning machine. At all costs!

Multiple CL wins in different countries with different teams.

PARlance wrote: »
    Beating Liverpool and City twice helped leave 3 teams still in it.
    Of course, Jose doesn't think Chelsea are.... More dark arts

He's a tactical genius, Liverpool hadn't the answers today, teams rarely have the answers against him.

He's a winner and he messes with peoples heads.
    He has won everywhere he has been.
    Looks like he's winning in the off topic forum too.

I find your stance on him a bit hard to believe when you've previously said Daglish served Liverpool with distinction as a manager.

Daglish was a very successful manager the first time around and practically broke himself to help the families after Hillsborough - that it what I was referring to. And to compare anything Daglish did to what Mourinho has done over the years is way OTT.

He has won everywhere yes...but I think he is a coward. He goes to the wealthiest team in every league (or 2nd in this case due to City). And when he does he plays defensive football. He is a great defensive coach but I personally wouldn't pay to watch is teams play.

I don't see where the tactical genius comes from. He plays counter attack football with some of world best footballers and wins. Pep is a tactical genius, something Jose could never handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Generally speaking though, the most successful teams across any league & competition have almost always been built on a rock solid defence, so it's not surprising he gets results setting up his teams the way he does

A lot of disgruntled Liverpool fans in here tonight.

Jose spanked Rodgers today. Simple as that.

Daglish was a very successful manager the first time around and practically broke himself to help the families after Hillsborough - that it what I was referring to. And to compare anything Daglish did to what Mourinho has done over the years is way OTT.

He has won everywhere yes...but I think he is a coward. He goes to the wealthiest team in every league (or 2nd in this case due to City). And when he does he plays defensive football. He is a great defensive coach but I personally wouldn't pay to watch is teams play.

I don't see where the tactical genius comes from. He plays counter attack football with some of world best footballers and wins. Pep is a tactical genius, something Jose could never handle.

Pep is a tactical genius who plays attractive football.
    Jose is a tactical genius who doesn't play attractive football.

And Pep is by no means a revolutionary coach. He's great yes. But he has had the luxury of 2 of the best squads to manage.

Jose has adapted in Portugal, Spain, Italy and England. On the whole he played attacking football in the first 2 and defensively in the latter 2.
    Won in all 4, and won considerably.
    If he's not a tactical genius then he's the luckiest man around.

You're taking isolated incidents and branding Jose as some demon...
    He isn't, he just plays mind games, I haven't witnessed anything sinister or nasty from him.
    (The ambulance thing you brought up seems out of context with him.... I'll look into that more.)

I won't say what I feel Daglish did during his last spell as manager. All I'll say is that most of the Liverpool fans I know are extremely embarrassed about his actions.

It's a bit rich to make a mountain out of a few mole hills with Jose when you're willing to forget about Kennys actions not so long ago IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He got into the liverpool players heads straight away more or less when they started time wasting.

etxp wrote: »
    He got into the liverpool players heads straight away more or less when they started time wasting.

Think he got into a few fans heads too ;)

I feel a few Kevin Keegan (another Pool legend) moments coming :)

PARlance wrote: »
    Think he got into a few fans heads too ;)

I feel a few Kevin Keegan (another Pool legend) moments coming :)

I think Jose got into this lads head :)

https://vine.co/v/MvgqzFEOPnx

Fabrice Muamba is fairly thankful for the actions of Jose, he's more than likely alive today thanks to them:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2116875/Fabrice-Muamba-news-Petr-Cech-injury-game-safer.html

From article:
    The high level of emergency medical care Fabrice Muamba received at White Hart Lane was the result of measures the Premier League put in place after Petr Cech suffered his serious head injury in 2006.......

Chelsea made an official complaint that led to a Premier League and FA review. As a result the following measures were introduced:

An ambulance must be located at the ground for exclusive use of players.
    Each club must have their doctor at Premier League games.
    The doctor must be seated on the trainers’ bench.
    All doctors and physiotherapists must complete AREA (Advanced Resuscitation and Emergency Aid) training course.
    At least two paramedics must be available pitchside to deal with on-field emergencies.
    The home club must provide the away club with a medical information sheet containing key contact numbers and the location of nearest hospital.
    Home club must have available mandatory medical equipment as prescribed by Premier League.
    Annual medical examinations must be carried out on all players.

He's some nasty piece of work that Jose!!!

What I love most about mourinho is his ability to drive people completely insane!! Forever the troll!!

That and he also gives zero ****s what people think!

Ok so here's my last post on Mourinho as I am mindful of Kiers being right and him being a troll.....

On Daglish...yes he was wrong on the Suarez affair as were the whole club but it was one mistake in a distinguished career so I still think on balance I can stand over my comments on him.

On the Cech affair....it is great that a review was done and made things safer for players. The issue I have is that Mourinho did not ask for a review in a measured altruistic fashion, he lied about how long the ambulance service took to arrive. That to me is unforgivable. Also let's not forget he accused Hunt of doing it intentionally. That is a huge call to make. He can not know what was in his mind but went ahead anyway and accused him of intentionally going out to hurt his player.

On Mourinho in general....when Real lose to Barca its a UEFA conspiracy, Chelsea lose to Sunderland its the Premier league and/or PGMOL.

When West Ham (or Spurs first time round) defend its parking the bus. When he does it its a tactical masterclass.

I just think on balance he has done more to damage the game than to enhance it in general. This is not an anti-Chelsea thing. I liked Ancellotti for example. It's just anti-Jose, and I used to like him. I did think he was entertaining (at least off the pitch) to start with. But for me that day has long passed.

And with that I'm out. :D

I like Jose and I'm out too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I like Jose - a character as they say. Only thing at this stage - people are too use to his tricks in winding people up. They are getting a little sick of him. It is getting a but the like the boy who cried wolf.

On - Pool, jaysus lads, would you not give them one year of a free ride where, the fans don't get stick and they can give abuse to United for just one year. :)

I mean , was 24 years not enough on top. :)
    Be a bit charitable.

We need a 9-0 versus palace.
    Old Football was rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ForeRight wrote: »
    Hey StevieOB gives is a wave!!!!!!

Wave.... there should be an emotion for that :)

As soon as Torres played the ball into Dembaba (I don't even know if it was Dembaba, was it Dembaba?) I switched off the tele, didn't even see the ball go in the net.

I had already been on the edge of my seat all afternoon and I think I was standing at that point so my legs just carried me straight out to the garden. Well I got loads done, weeding, cleaned down the patio, fixed the satellite cable for the kids TV, fixed the outside light, watered & fed the plants, looked tenderly after all my shrubs that I'm growing. 4, maybe 5 hours out there, had a lovely afternoon. :rolleyes:

Lucy asked me "are you happy dad?" she got a short sharp "NO". "Did the Reds win Dad?" again short and sweet "NO". My Da came over and sat in the kitchen at one point calling out to me "Did Munster Win Seve?" (That's what he calls me, Seve :) ) "DON'T KNOW, DON'T CARE" was all he got back. I heard Lucy talking to him asking if it was the reds, and telling him that no, the reds lost and the blues won! He kept going on at her was she sure.... jeez, she is only 4, give her a break Da :confused: .... I was not interested in putting him straight..... and I think he knew it!

I had enough of it, I was nearly on the verge of ringing sky and telling them I don't want their poxy sports channels anymore......So after I finished in the garden, I spent the evening watching a movie (The Lone Ranger) and general crap on the tele........ anything but sports. So I have no idea what has been said by anyone in relation to yesterdays match cause I haven't even had the radio on today, I just went into hibernation.

So here's my take on it. It was like when Butch Cavendish ripped out Dan Reids heart and ate it (Please refer to my viewing of The Lone Ranger). I don't mind loosing a football match, but when you have been the only team trying to play football, the only team creating chances, controlled the match in it's entirety, probably had 70% possession mainly in the opponents half, your rock solid stalwart slips and gifts an undeserved goal, it is quite simply GUTWRENCHING. We were immense.

Now credit where it's due, Chelsea played the game well. They went to Anfield with one thing in mind, close up their defence and if they get lucky enough to hit us on the break then they would. 10/10, well played Chelsea. Game well played that is, but not well played football. However, it's balls in the back of the net what counts and they did the bizzo.

Chelsea only got the second goal because we were pushing hard up the pitch. I think if it had of been 0-0 at that stage, we would not have been pushing as hard and would not have leaked the second goal. I think Liverpool wanted the win badly, but if you asked them beforehand, they would have snatched a 0-0 draw.

Now, IMO, Liverpool will win their last 2 games and loose the league on goal difference.

So for the next 5 days I'm going to stroll the far side of Stanley park and become an Everton Fan, come on the Toffees.......pleeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Stevie liverpools first shot on target was after 60min and it was a speculative long range effort.

The only team controlling anything yesterday was Chelsea. Cruise control too.

Stevie liverpools first shot on target was after 60min and it was a speculative long range effort.

The only team controlling anything yesterday was Chelsea. Cruise control too.

You are spot on. Chelsea played the game superbly, I already praised them for it. Liverpool found them tough to break down and get in position to score.

You can't argue with the fact that Liverpool were the far superior team on the day though. Unfortunately though it is all pie in the Sky when you don't get the goals! :(

I like Jose - a character as they say. Only thing at this stage - people are too use to his tricks in winding people up. They are getting a little sick of him. It is getting a but the like the boy who cried wolf.

On - Pool, jaysus lads, would you not give them one year of a free ride where, the fans don't get stick and they can give abuse to United for just one year. :)

I mean , was 24 years not enough on top. :)
    Be a bit charitable.

We need a 9-0 versus palace.
    Old Football was rubbish.

Unfortunately I don't think 9-0 will be enough.

If memory serves, was that in the cup? we then lost to them towards the end of the season and lost the title on goal difference scored with Michael Thomas scoring with the last kick of the season :(

stevieob wrote: »
    You are spot on. Chelsea played the game superbly, I already praised them for it. Liverpool found them tough to break down and get in position to score.

You can't argue with the fact that Liverpool were the far superior team on the day though. Unfortunately though it is all pie in the Sky when you don't get the goals! :(

Were they superior though?

Think about it. They were not threatening at all. Chelsea looked extremely comfortable and Liverpool could not change their game plan. They got so frustrated they started to lump balls long into the box from very early on.

The dog in the street knew Chelsea would set up like that. They do it in all the big games. They are solid. It's essential you score first against that tactic in order to draw them out. Sakho had a glorious chance early on and ballooned it over the bar.

Also just looking at the goal again where gerrard slipped. Why was gerrard receiving the ball as the last man only 10 yards or so inside his own half... Where were the covering centre halfs and why were they ahead of him reviewing the ball?
    I'd expect gerrard to pick up passes like that of course but how did it end up the cover was ahead of him?

Foreright.

I don't know , Pool had many situations that - every other week turned into a goal.
    Gerrard had 3 very good positions for him,

Anywhere else at the goal Suarez would have scored

First half , a few corners were close.

Chelsea's goal was just an error.

I think you are looking at it with Red Devil eyes.

Yes Liverpool and Rodgers were shown up. You can't expect to get the goals every week against the big teams.

But - Pool have no squad - they look fatigued as I have been saying.

Couthino looks run out and is making poor choices
    Suarez the same, worse in fact.
    Sterling very very young - being used too much
    Sturidge is just injured
    Johnson is ****
    Flanagan is very inexperienced
    Liverpool defence - Jaysus.
    Henderson is a big loss

Subs for Pool - Aspas
    typically Mosses

Not a premier league winning team.

Absolutely incredible achievement - for a squad with far less options then United.

Big opportunity and still a small chance , for the worst squad to ever when the premier league. In fact , I couldn't believe they kept it going since Christmas.

But fingers crossed - amazing going.

What situations did Liverpool have that every other week would be a goal?

I'm not sure fatigue can be put down as a legitimate excuse for lads who have one job to do every week for 90minutes (and get paid excessively for it) and don't turn up. It is a monumental f*** up.

I only seen the highlights but I don't agree with this synopsis that Liverpool were the way better team. Perhaps they passed with better fluency for the most part but they barely threatened the Chelsea defence.

If it's all about the best team winning for all the people on here. Then surely everyone will be happy to see city winning. Had some slight hiccups through the year but almost certainly the best all around footballing team in the premiership.

What situations did Liverpool have that every other week would be a goal?

One of Gerrards 3
    Suarez
    Sakho

Look at match stats.
    Liverpool had 26 - 8 on target.
    Most weeks when they get near 30 they win.
    The had a bad day - and bad choices that didn't turn into goal chances.

We know Pool have a bad squad
    We know they are playing way above their ability
    We know united have played way below their ability
    We know United have a better squad

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27092978

• Advertisement

Gerrards shots were long range speculative efforts. Rarely go in.
    Sakho had a great chance yes.

Suarez chance? Do you mean the one he kicked straight at swarzer from the corner that was never a corner?

I don't see any of them as anything other than half chances at best.

Kalas missed a sitter of a header just before they scored. Now that was a guilt edge chance. Free header on the 6 yard box from a corner.

Liverpool didn't have 1 effort where I'd say he definitely should have scored. Sakho was the closest but he's a defender, was falling backwards and the ball came at him at serious pace.

Suarez would have struggled to convert that.

Advertisement