Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

the lawman wrote: »
    Since this thread has become a Liverpool celebration party can we have somewhere for us United fans to hug, console and regroup?

we aint celebrating yet..... 6 more wins and we will be though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

stevieob wrote: »
    we aint celebrating yet..... 6 more wins and we will be though :)

Great to be in the conversation though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Re GAA and sky sports

I just don't get why people are shouting from the pulpit about the loss of soul and the loss of its voluntary and amateur status, it's amateur status has been lost years ago.
    It seems that the only amateurs are the players and that's even debatable these days.
    As the Gaa has stated 80% (€40m in 2012) of its revenue gets passed back to clubs through capital grants etc, so is that not a good thing?

It will still be one of the most successful community led and run organisations.

Just from a personal view point, I think you would have to trust an organisation that invests as much as they did in parnells gaa club in Coolock, the place the gaa has built there is just amazing, and in a an area that needs investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dealerz wrote: »
    Re GAA and sky sports

I just don't get why people are shouting from the pulpit about the loss of soul and the loss of its voluntary and amateur status, it's amateur status has been lost years ago.
    It seems that the only amateurs are the players and that's even debatable these days.
    As the Gaa has stated 80% (€40m in 2012) of its revenue gets passed back to clubs through capital grants etc, so is that not a bad thing?

It will still be one of the most successful community led and run organisations.

Just from a personal view point, I think you would have to trust an organisation that invests as much as they did in parnells gaa club in Coolock, the place the gaa has built there is just amazing, and in a an area that needs investment.

The GAA is an incredibly run organisiation and I guess I would have to thrust that they don't make a balls of this.
    I would fear that this is just a stepping stone for Sky to edge in further on RTE coverage.

If the day comes were you can't watch nearly all the GAA matches on free to air TV then it will have lost its soul.

It could all become very sadly ironic in time. I hope not.
    More Sky money eating into coverage might be seen as a replacement for drink sponsorship.
    Sky coverage drives the people into the pubs.

99% of GAA players are most certainly amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes I think it is a bad move by the GAA.

It puts forward the notion that it's primary strength, is it is owned by the members and is open to all.
    Putting it onto a subscriptions TV channel , goes against the spirit and ethos of the organisation.

They have also received substantial support financially from their members - the Irish public and government.

If they want to act in such a commercial way - there is no need for this additional support.

Bad move, even if economically right - it is somebody thinking with a balance sheet as opposed to the overall impact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

5 to go. jaysus that was hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Roll on Sunday against the best Manchester has to offer :-)

scrubber72 wrote: »
    5 to go. jaysus that was hard to watch.

Just in after a great day in Tulferris so will have to wait for MOTD later on. 3 points is good enough for me, no matter how hard it was. I had visions of a draw or even a loss today so will be quiet content that we are on top going into next Weekend..... And the title decider...... :)

For any United fans out there, this lad has been the highlight of my season.
    Pretty funny in fairness: @evilkagawa on twitter

https://twitter.com/evilkagawa/status/452461404906594304

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I know some teams practice taking penalties but do Liverpool practice winning penalties??

• Advertisement

I know some teams practice taking penalties but do Liverpool practice winning penalties??

Just the referee making amends for the equaliser is all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Got some work done to the outside of my house last week. The satellite dish had to be removed and we've lost all our channels. Rang the satellite co this morning and yer man must have heard the "It's Masters week and I've no telly" tremble from my voice. He's coming tomorrow afternoon to fix :D

Was out swinging something (that we can't talk about here) last night in the back garden... It's a very small back garden and I was swinging facing the lovely glass double doors that open onto it from our kitchen...

So, I decided it was time to mess around with my grip....

Next swing, cue the slow motion moment of horror as the thing slipped from my hands.... As it flew towards the window, all I could think was, how are you going to explain this

Then, outta nowhere, I got a break of luck, the head smacked against the small pvc column that separates the double door from the side panels of glass.
    The noise was something else, I was looking at a shattered pain of glass if it was an inch or two either side.
    A members bounce if there ever was one.

Herself came down from giving the little one the bottle, "What the hell was that noise"
    Me: Didn't hear anything darling, fancy a cuppa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Ha ha ha ha ha ha brilliant. You pulled a homer!!

I do hope your not a united fan for that comment.

I think united dominated referees for nearly 20 years - stop watch Fergie.

was watching a re-run of "a league of their own" the other evening and they were chatting about a liverpool v Manu game. James asked who was the referee and Jamie made the point "hmm, I can't remember who Fergie chose that day"

stevieob wrote: »
    was watching a re-run of "a league of their own" the other evening and they were chatting about a liverpool v Manu game. James asked who was the referee and Jamie made the point "hmm, I can't remember who Fergie chose that day"

Sure it was 20 years of club , management and player intimidation.
    They invented it.

article-0-0024C4A000000258-812_634x323.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I am a Utd Fan......LEEDS UNITED

Just every time I click on Livescore these days for an update I see that Steven Gerrard has scored another penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

I am a Utd Fan......LEEDS UNITED

Just every time I click on Livescore these days for an update I see that Steven Gerrard has scored another penalty

Good on ya Space.... Super Leeds, there are a few of us left out there...

Just watched Prime Time there, talking about the Dublin property bubble....

Buy now, buy now, bye bye now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

PARlance wrote: »
    Just watched Prime Time there, talking about the Dublin property bubble....

Buy now, buy now, bye bye now.

Ha ha. Haven't we been here before!! Next people will be camping out to buy houses off plans!!!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

RIP ultimate warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

RIP ultimate warrior.

First it's peaches at the ripe old age of 25 and now the ultimate warrior!!!

He was only 54 or so but was more like an 80 year old walking around the last time I saw him on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

RIP ultimate warrior.

Just heard- what a legend he was in his prime...I used to be sitting at home watching him legget into the ring and just clothes line everyone in 10 seconds then shake the ropes.., just brilliant to watch, crazy character

Dealerz wrote: »
    Just heard- what a legend he was in his prime...I used to be sitting at home watching him legget into the ring and just clothes line everyone in 10 seconds then shake the ropes.., just brilliant to watch, crazy character

I bet he was always getting called through ;)

BlGMX7IIEAAtxYu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

BlGMX7IIEAAtxYu.jpg

Just off to the Pub to watch the match with the eldest who is treating me to a few pints. Hopefully Suarez and Co can deliver another 3 to cap off a great weekend. :D:D

We're gonna win the league, we're gonna win the league, la la la la la la we're gonna win the league :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Typical Liverpool fans posting on the internet while their team is on the tele ;)

• Advertisement

This is fantastic I have to say... It's going to be all the funnier when they blow it

Advertisement