Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Saturday Night: Winds rapidly increasing with extreme gusts to 70kts+

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

eastmayo wrote: »
    Cud be wrong but seems to be dyeing down,gusts not as strong in the last 30 mins...highest was 45 mph at 00 18...

Actually increasing here a little at mo so you could get another 'wave' in a wee while.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Weathering wrote: »

Power out?? How long for?
    Not long 2/3 min

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

yep impressive alright.

MACE HEAD GALWAY(A) W 54 Gust 71

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Harps wrote: »
    Gust of 131km/hr at Mace Head, sustained 100km/hr, strongest of the season by quite a distance

Still wild here, gusting to 90km/hr

wow and wow. they completely under estimated this one
    fair do's to everyone on boards who seen this
    sustained winds of over 60mph and that's what they fc for the highest gusts.
    will this strengthen as it moves further north?? malin head could be in for quite the onslaught

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Glad this thread is up, wind gust to 71 kts at Mace Head would suggest wind damage potential next hour in Galway, would advise anyone reading this in western half of Ireland and either driving now or planning to drive, stay put and/or take cover and let this blow through, wind gusts will be strong enough to blow down trees and send debris over roads as well as toppling high-sided vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Glad this thread is up, wind gust to 71 kts at Mace Head would suggest wind damage potential next hour in Galway, would advise anyone reading this in western half of Ireland and either driving now or planning to drive, stay put and/or take cover and let this blow through, wind gusts will be strong enough to blow down trees and send debris over roads as well as toppling high-sided vehicles.

What time do you reckon this is set to peak at? Gusts are becoming far more intense again now in North Tipperary after a brief lull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

What time do you reckon this is set to peak at? Gusts are becoming far more intense again now in North Tipperary after a brief lull.

Highest 850 hpa winds on the latest NAE were for 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The sound of that wind here in Galway! The lights are flickering in our house and I've had to cover the vent in my room coz of the sound of it. I hate this weather. Scares the crap out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Car parks in Salthill flooded cars submerged took a picture of the flooding but it wont load just recorded 75 mph on my weather machine

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

hi guys, in castlebar, winds are very strong at min, went for short walk and strong enough to blow you of your feet. strongest i felt ever here.

• Advertisement

Woke by the wind about 1/2 hour ago, listening to EIDW ATC (less than 1 mile away), Wind steady at 30 kts, max gust 47, min 19. Control expects gusts of 56 between now and 3, heading 230. There's an Aer Arann aloft right now holding, they're going through diversion options ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Had no idea about the weather warning. I'm not surprised though, it was unusually mild out today. Had the windows open here and only copped the wind when all the doors started banging. Frightened the life out of me. Seems fairly gusty out there. I'd say there's a fair few branches down round here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

good job santa isn't flying tonight
    misses clause's heart would be broken with worry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Very windy in Dublin - gusts from time to time. Blowing trees are loud enough to keep me awake

You can tell the jet is right over us, look at the speed of the clouds racing up from the southwest.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

just driven back from Castlebar to Ballyhaunis not a pleasant night to be out. WInd seems to be picking up all the time now and the rain is lashing it down. Branches down on the roads everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

wow. That wind picked up suddenly. Windy enough round Kildare from a comparatively calm evening.

3hr-wind.gif

Malin Head will be hit hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

In fairness to Mr Cranium, I believe he called this stormy weather months ago, absotuletly on the balll so far, unbelievable:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

wow just got serious in castlebar. crazy wind speed at min. serious gusts now. maybe the mayan prediction was a few days out, could this be the start, lol:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wind gathering strength here in North Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

After a very brief lull lasting all but 2 or 3 mins winds picking up again and gusting over 50 kts. Current 10 mean speed 27 kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Seems to have calming down in Galway.Still windy but not as startlingly wild as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at Marine Traffic there is not a single ship off the West coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

An Aer Arann aircraft tried an approach to Dublin about 30mins ago but has decided to divert to Belfast Aldergrove. If they where 20mins earlier they probably would have got into Dublin. Wind really picked up all of a sudden. Dublin had to update their forecast

TAF AMD EIDW 230035Z 2300/2324 20022G35KT 9999 SCT015 BKN025
    BECMG 2301/2303 23036G56KT
    BECMG 2304/2306 25025G40KT
    BECMG 2306/2308 24020G30KT
    BECMG 2309/2311 24015G25KT
    BECMG 2312/2314 24015KT
    BECMG 2316/2318 21008KT=

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Just flew into Dublin Airport. Bumpy from an hour out, plain mental at landing. Fair amount of puke. Good landing though. Some wind.

Seems to have calming down in Galway.Still windy but not as startlingly wild as it was.

Probably peaking now along the west coast. Winds will pick up in areas to the north and east over the next few hours.

MACE HEAD GALWAY(A) W 54 Gust 71 RECENT DRIZZLE 8 92 0.1 983

Thats fecking windy. ME stations @ 1AM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

eaglej13 wrote: »
    wow just got serious in castlebar. crazy wind speed at min. serious gusts now. maybe the mayan prediction was a few days out, could this be the start, lol:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The real Mayan is and always has been Dec 23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From the look of guidance, would expect strongest winds to reach Meath and Dublin about 0300h and Belfast about 0400-0500h, trough is very fast-moving and is about on a Donegal-Laois line at present (0200h) so west of that it should gradually calm down with the usual after-shock gusts -- for Donegal it may pick up very suddenly since they are further north in a wider portion of the trough. The south coast will probably not see quite the same increase in wind speeds as the main impact under the jet will be about Galway to Drogheda. Would expect some damage along that path and if you're reading this east of Athlone it has not peaked yet (I think).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement