Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC "Drop-outs" of late, going insane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

The cisco was dropping and rebooting several times per day but stopped about two weeks ago and everything was fine and super fast until today.

I'm on a Thompson, my opinion is that this isn't down to a certain router or just the odd customer with a random issue.

Looking more widespread isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TsarBomba

Manc-Red wrote: »
    I'm on a Thompson, my opinion is that this isn't down to a certain router or just the odd customer with a random issue.

Looking more widespread isn't it?

I've just had a technician out (5th time at this stage) and they've replaced the cisco with a thompson and he said he'd ring in a week or less after they've monitored. I have a direct number for one of their representatives so I imagine I'll be ringing back in less than a week :|

I actually mentioned this thread and questioning whether this is more widespread but they didn't acknowledge it.

TsarBomba wrote: »
    I've just had a technician out (5th time at this stage) and they've replaced the cisco with a thompson and he said he'd ring in a week or less after they've monitored. I have a direct number for one of their representatives so I imagine I'll be ringing back in less than a week :|

I actually mentioned this thread and questioning whether this is more widespread but they didn't acknowledge it.

Something is wrong on the Network that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TsarBomba

The technician thinks it's something to do with the line into the house. Maybe they're poorly designed and deteriorate after a few years? Saying that I'm certainly not au fait with this type of tech :D

TsarBomba wrote: »
    The technician thinks it's something to do with the line into the house. Maybe they're poorly designed and deteriorate after a few years? Saying that I'm certainly not au fait with this type of tech :D

I've a new line into the house m8 - trust me we are been told bs unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hey guys, yeah, there are a few thompsons with this problem AFAIK so its not the EPCs fault(least not entirely).

We're a new line too, with a new trunk in the road, perfect stats, so not that.

The fact that I detected a load of packet loss on a UPC IP would lead me to guess that its an issue with routing within the UPC WAN.

Reps reply to everything but say nothing, even in PMs its just "we're investigating" over and over. That said as above things have improved right now for me.

When I have a large dataset I'll post it here and see if it points to anything further.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Just noticed this post and adding my experience in case that helps.

Had a similar problem with the internet dropping or going from super fast to very slow once or twice a day for the past 2 months. Usually resetting the modem/router fixes the problem but sometimes it fixes itself after a few minutes.
    Happens on both WIFI and Ethernet and paying for 100MB broadband in Dublin 4.
    Called UPC many times and to their credit their telephone customer service is always very friendly and professional.
    They send out a technician twice who ran some tests and couldn't pinpoint the problem in my apartment or in the field, but did follow up as promised each time (again very professional and courteous).
    Thought the problem was fixed after several days of no connection dropping issues, but it came back.
    A UPC technician came out for a third time and actually saw it drop while he was sitting in front of the computer (reproducing the issue is not easy).
    He replaced the fairly new Cisco router with the Thomson model and... (I hope) it fixed the problem.
    It has been a few weeks now with no more dropouts or slowdowns

So perhaps for me the Cisco router model or the unit was faulty. Hard to say for sure since it is still a mystery. Let's hope all the network data they have been collecting along with this thread will help them figure it out for sure and for good (and share the results with us).

Update:

Thought I was having problems today, turns out it was a 100Mb link being congested.

It prompted me to test again. Thats a lot of red there lads.
    http://i.imgur.com/l9tVNRc.png

This is becoming unbearable - Anyone in the same boat as me today?

Our service has been behaving for a while now. I suspect they did something and wont say that they have. Still no actual info back from the reps.

• Advertisement

In my event log in my router I'm seeing this :- "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... "

This is a regular occurrence..... anyone know what it means?

Vast improvement today - how long it lasts is anyone's guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Big improvements for me aswell, got a few torrents coming down at 2 mb/s tonight and Youtube is just instantly loading @ 720p.

Service continuing fine.

Still wondering what's up with the traces though. If the UPC box was rejecting packets I'd expect it 100% of the time but it seems to just do it while the line is slightly busy(load hasn't been particularly heavy most of the time). I'm wondering if it could be extreme QoSing?(Don't know enough to say). I care because the problem overall has been intermittent, its worked fine for 10 days and then reverted to its normal instability so I'd like to be confident this wont be returning. The fact that others appear to still be very much still having problems isn't reassuring.

Screenshots taken 10 mins ago approx.

48Hrs
    KAOxbu5l.png
    24Hrs
    ECMz7Qal.png
    12Hrs
    BuQoCYYl.png
    1Hrs
    yneKbL6l.png

Speedtest for good measure:
    2609670597.png

My router has reset itself back to its original settings, I had to re-port forward my satellite receiver which was a real pain & took ages to nail.

Thing is that I haven't had one drop out since.

I wonder was that their doing or it bugging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hey folks,

I was suffering from the same problems as most poster in the thread, before lunch the router rebooted itself and in the eventlog it showed that it was downloading a new bin file cm_fpb50_sip.bin once it finished voila it started working again and at full speed.

I did ring support yesterday and the girl I was talking to said they had a whole load of similar calls and they were not sure what was going on.

Anyways finger crossed it stays sorted.

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Manc-Red wrote: »
    My router has reset itself back to its original settings.

My Thomson did the same thing tonight, looked into it and noticed that it had been updated to STBA.01.73.

Had a few drops after I set it back up but it seems ok now, apart from the download speed.

2611617490.png

But once it stays up and is usable, that's the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JockESpollix

I'm back to the same **** again.
    Has reset itself 4 times in the past hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Been having these issues with the upc thompson since the firmware upgrade - their engineer called out over weekend- i was in school with this guy and he said they're up the walls with calls at the moment from the thompson since this upgrade - he gave me the cisco one and seems fine since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

:)
    seamus wrote: »
    If it was a service/network level problem, it would actually be easier to fix than if it's an intermittent fault with some properties.

Worth noting that I'm in D24 and have never had a service issue like the one described. Which would indicate that this isn't specifically a network-level issue, otherwise it would be widespread.

Even on this thread you have 152 posts by 30 people. But 97 of those posts have been made by 3 people. So this doesn't seem to be a major or common issue judging by those figures.

Found this thread cause I'm having the same issues!

UPC Reps wont really check this thread, you should make a thread on their Board:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

I spent 2 weeks kicking up a stink over there and now Im fine, got a PM the day before it was fixed asking me to check the connection tomorrow and see if its any different and it was so maybe worth letting them know.

Thargor wrote: »
    UPC Reps wont really check this thread, you should make a thread on their Board:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

I spent 2 weeks kicking up a stink over there and now Im fine, got a PM the day before it was fixed asking me to check the connection tomorrow and see if its any different and it was so maybe worth letting them know.

Dont worry, I've posted there and am in almost daily contact with them via PM.

Yeah I know that was @ Grawns and any new people coming into this thread because its the first result on Google, the more that contact them on the board they set up for it the better.

Oh right, great point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alex200

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As mentioned above worth copying this post to the UPC Talk to forum.

• Advertisement

alex200 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Yeah thats something I kept forgetting to mention, the signal bars dropped from 5 to 3 a lot for me aswell when its happening, just in the Windows taskbar, never measured it with any dedicated software.

Advertisement