Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Oji resigned so that's good news, he made a big difference when he came in last season..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

With the fixtures out, do ye think you will have more home games on Friday nights next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

wonder88 wrote: »
    With the fixtures out, do ye think you will have more home games on Friday nights next year?

All depends on Munster and Concert schedules. Will be all over the place again id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Squad so far:

Barry Ryan (GK)
    Shaun Kelly (DF)
    Sam Oji (DF)
    Stephen Folan (DF)
    Michael Leahy (DF)
    Robbie Williams (DF)
    Shane Costelloe (DF)
    Shane Duggan (MF)
    Val Feeney (MF)
    James McGrath (MF)
    Darragh Rainsford (MF)
    Danny Galbraith (FW)
    Craig Curran (FW)
    Rory Gaffney (FW)
    Barry Sheedy (FW)

Pending Work Permit:

Prince Agyemang (MF)
    Ali Abass (GK)

Club still in talks with O'Leary, Nzuzi, Tracy and Hughes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Do we know whether Agyemang and Abass are likely to get work permits... and how good they are supposed to be? Involved in the first team from the off?

Would hope all 4 of the players you mentioned would be signed up:
    -O'Leary is a class act in the middle, has a lot of talent.
    -Tracy's set-pieces are quality, think he's a better left-back than midfielder though.
    -Big fan of Nzuzi, really grew into things as the season advanced. Probably was in better form at right-back than Kelly, covered well at left-back, did a job at centre-back when he had to, and I liked him in the middle of the field- worked hard and covered a lot of ground.
    -Hughes was a decent addition to the squad, works hard and popped up with a few vital goals.

Was listening to the Sporting Limerick podcast last week and they all gave their PotY to O'Leary. I'm a big fan of O'Leary and I thought he was by far our best player in the promotion season but I didn't think he was at the same level in 2013. There is no doubt in my mind that Barry Ryan was our best player, kept us in matches with some outstanding saves.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Do we know whether Agyemang and Abass are likely to get work permits... and how good they are supposed to be? Involved in the first team from the off?

They could have got work permits in July from what I heard but they would have expired next July (mid-season) so waiting till Jan suits better. I would think they will be involved with the first team from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Personally I prefer a saturday night but I say that without any real evidence of whether it's good or bad for crowds. The Cork home games for example should definitely not be fri nights to maximise crowds if possible (haven't studied the fixture list yet though).

Can any season ticket holders tell me - was the photo checked on the way into games last season? I'd like to buy one for this season but can often be abroad and would like to share it around if I can't go (before anyone jumps down my throat I'd be sharing it with people who wouldn't otherwise go so hopefully a few new converts to the cause).

This having to submit a passport photo by post to get the ticket seems ludicrous and completely at odds with what other LOI clubs ask (based on a quick glance at Rovers, Sligo and Pats).

Fixtures are Traditionally a Friday night in the LOI but next season they will probably be a bit all over the place again. It's the main downside to Thomond Park as it stops the club having a regular night that people will instantly think "oh it's Friday night there is probably a game on"

grimbergen wrote: »
    Can any season ticket holders tell me - was the photo checked on the way into games last season? I'd like to buy one for this season but can often be abroad and would like to share it around if I can't go (before anyone jumps down my throat I'd be sharing it with people who wouldn't otherwise go so hopefully a few new converts to the cause).

This having to submit a passport photo by post to get the ticket seems ludicrous and completely at odds with what other LOI clubs ask (based on a quick glance at Rovers, Sligo and Pats).

They were checked as far as i know.

Why is it ludicrous out of interest?

• Advertisement

The only time mine was checked was when I was going into the Thomond Suite. The security at the gate usually just wanted to see it was a terrace ticket and after a few entries didn't even bother asking anymore they just saw the card and let us through to the turnstile. A friend of mine gave his ticket to a mate before and there was no hassle.

Thanks lads. Think I'll go for it. "ludicrous" might be a bit strong in hindsight but definitely the requirement is OTT. A season ticket for a club trying to raise revenue and generate crowds should be:

1) as easy as possible to buy (sligo have outlets in 5 neighbouring counties as well as online where you can buy an ST) and

2) transferrable as with most STs so that if the holder can't go they pass it to someone who will attend and who might not otherwise do so thus generating potential new fans who might spend on the night or hopefully return again.

The GAA for all the slagging about being tight with money actively encourage ST holders to pass them on if not using them and even send out reminders to that effect.

I find the season ticket always well worth it. 9/10 I make a saving on it but I go to 90% of games also.

I'd encourage anyone to buy one. 135 euro for 16 games in Thomond park is unbelievable and unmatched by any sporting code in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

A lot of Season Ticket holders in the past would pass on their ticket to a friend if they could not make the game, unfortunately in the majority of cases this meant the club would be down money as that person would have been a regular paying custumer.

The same happend when free tickets would be given out to sponsors, schools ect....people who didnt want them or who couldnt make the game ended up giving them to regular fans

You cannot compare a small LOI club with a base of just over 1k fans where every penny counts with a national organisation like the Gaa. With the Gaa, if someone happens to gain free entry to a game he/she may end up buying a bottle of water/tea/sweets which at least puts a few bob into the Gaa's pocket, none of the money spent of food/drink at TP goes back to LFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

135 euro is good value for a season ticket, is that for a seat in the stand? I still think that entry to league of Ireland games (premier division) is still a little bit expensive. I think it should be on a par with going to the cinema. Clubs could also give more discounts, for the unemployed along with students and OAP for example. I see that Limerick do not get any revenue from food and drink sales, which is a disadvantage as cinema owner would make a large profit in this area. Hope Limerick make sure that they control the catering etc in the new ground.

135 euro is good value for a season ticket, is that for a seat in the stand? I still think that entry to league of Ireland games (premier division) is still a little bit expensive. I think it should be on a par with going to the cinema. Clubs could also give more discounts, for the unemployed along with students and OAP for example. I see that Limerick do not get any revenue from food and drink sales, which is a disadvantage as cinema owner would make a large profit in this area. Hope Limerick make sure that they control the catering etc in the new ground.

They cant with the current plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    They cant with the current plans.

So is the only money they'll be making off the new ground ticket sales??

Harpy wrote: »
    So is the only money they'll be making off the new ground ticket sales??

Yes and that will be the story for the foreseeable future which is a concern from the fans.

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    A lot of Season Ticket holders in the past would pass on their ticket to a friend if they could not make the game, unfortunately in the majority of cases this meant the club would be down money as that person would have been a regular paying custumer.

The same happend when free tickets would be given out to sponsors, schools ect....people who didnt want them or who couldnt make the game ended up giving them to regular fans

You cannot compare a small LOI club with a base of just over 1k fans where every penny counts with a national organisation like the Gaa. With the Gaa, if someone happens to gain free entry to a game he/she may end up buying a bottle of water/tea/sweets which at least puts a few bob into the Gaa's pocket, none of the money spent of food/drink at TP goes back to LFC.

That same dilemma of an ST being passed to a regular is faced by every club with a season ticket the world over (assuming they don't sell out).

Your point about the food/drink is a good one though and does negate the benefits alright. On the other hand where the club is trying to build its support base, encouraging the STs to be transferable might just bring a few new patrons along on the journey.

Definitely in agreement with others though, the quicker we get back to our own home the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

• Advertisement

Sad day. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Joe, Ala and Fitzy - backbone of the team for years . How time flies . A magnificent player that always left everything on the pitch . R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

According to today's Star the club are going to retire the number 4 shirt in his honour?

Also Joe Gamble speaks well of us: http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2014/01/09/4531311/joe-gamble-backs-league-of-ireland-players-for-international?ICID=AR_FS_3

Ya the Number 4 has been retired. A nice touch from the club. http://www.limerickfc.ie/eoin-hand-tribute-joe-was-an-inspiration-to-everybody

Joe-OMahony-Tribute.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Jofspring wrote: »
    Colm Murphy also very impressive at left back. Composed on the ball, got stuck in and made the right passes 90% of the time.

Anyone hear has Murphy been offered a contract for this year?

buyer95 wrote: »
    Anyone hear has Murphy been offered a contract for this year?

Yes Murphy will be apart of the squad as he is still a member of our under 19's. Taylor has mentioned him in his plans also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Jofspring wrote: »
    Yes Murphy will be apart of the squad as he is still a member of our under 19's. Taylor has mentioned him in his plans also.

He did well in the last few games of the season I thought, very tidy player.

buyer95 wrote: »
    He did well in the last few games of the season I thought, very tidy player.

He certainly took no crap from the shels player he was marking and for such a young lad looked strong and assured on the ball.

• Advertisement

Think Murphy and Whitehead are gonna be too good players both have looked class in 19s game I've seen.

Advertisement