Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Any news on getting a manager ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Our Brian wrote: »
    Any news on getting a manager ?

A manager is supposed to be in place but the club are waiting for everyone to come back from the Christmas holidays before the announcement.

Rumours at the moment are an ex-Ireland International and and ex-Limerick FC manager as assistant. Kevin Kilbane with Mike Kerley looking a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Moving to TP is also a good move, more people who would normally not go to the home matches will go to TP, like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

liammur wrote: »
    Moving to TP is also a good move, more people who would normally not go to the home matches will go to TP, like myself.

I don't really agree with this. First of all, TP is not the spiritual home of LFC like The Market's Field is.

Secondly, I'm not sure the atmosphere will be all that great in TP, as it's just too big for the likely crowds of 2-3000 (at best).

Finally, the eventual move to The Market's Field will now be a step down in facilities, instead of the improvement it would have been it we were moving there from Jackman.

Also, I'd imagine that there are significant costs to playing in TP as well. It's just such a shame that the Market's Field couldn't have been sorted out by the start of the season. Very very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't really agree with this. First of all, TP is not the spiritual home of LFC like The Market's Field is.

Secondly, I'm not sure the atmosphere will be all that great in TP, as it's just too big for the likely crowds of 2-3000 (at best).

Finally, the eventual move to The Market's Field will now be a step down in facilities, instead of the improvement it would have been it we were moving there from Jackman.

Also, I'd imagine that there are significant costs to playing in TP as well. It's just such a shame that the Market's Field couldn't have been sorted out by the start of the season. Very very disappointing.

Agreed TP is not the spiritual home of Limk FC, but it is a hell of a lot better than Jackman, which isn't the spiritual home either

The atmosphere will be difficult, but let's face it, the atmosphere in Jackman was never great either, that might have had more to do with the style of play mind, but on the other hand Liammur is right, it will open the club to a latent following that would NEVER have gone to Jackman, it will also have a big impact in the amount of away support we can expect which brings in increased revenue and helps increase the atmosphere does it not.

The fact that the Markets field is not ready is because of the amount of different organisation now involved I believe, all with the aim of producing a stadium to the highest standard possible as opposed to an inferior stadium which we would have if we were to build it ourselves.

You are right tho, I'd imagine there are increased costs involved but lets face it Jackman would have needed a lot of money to get it up to Premier standard also, which would have a complete waste of money considering the fact we would be gone after one season, at least this way the club gets to raise its profile, probably increase gates to a higher level than would have been possible had they stayed in Jackman.

And of course we could be surprised, we could get gates of 3-5k depending on results. My advise, shake off the disappointment enjoy the first season back in premier, tell you're friends and help drive support yourself.

• Advertisement

Thomond Park will be perfect and I don't think many will find the Markets Field a step down once it is a decent standard and a real place for Limerick FC to call home.

Hopefully a good season in Thomond Park might entice a few more people to get hooked on the LOI like so many regularly do. What needs to happen though is progress on the Markets Field throughout the season to give people something to look forward to, not have everyone up in Thomond Park half way through the season wondering why a digger hasn't even made a move into the Markets Field.

I wouldn't be too worried about the atmosphere as a lot of the traveling fans like to make a bit of noise and there will be a big difference between Finn Harps and Longford bringing 40-50 and Shamrock Rovers and Cork bringing 1,000. I've been in a full Thomond Park with zero atmosphere and vice versa a smaller crowd in Thomond but great noise there.

The first game of the season is Cork City at home. There is potential there for Cork to bring up to 1,500 due to the Thomond Park factor so hopefully the sport loving people of Limerick can come out and get behind Limerick FC. Cork regularly have 3,000 in turners cross even when not doing great.

Should be big crowd for first home game at thomond, 3,000 if all going well. Please god we'll the new man before the preseason starts. If rumours are right its Kevin Kilbane and Mike Kerley.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Will it just be the terraces that are going to be used or the stands? Cant see both being used. Or maybe I am thinking the crowds will be low?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

TP would be fine for a year. If its a choice between that or lumping a load of money into Jackman to bring it up to standard then I would take TP. Limerick have lumped enough money in rent (not including their own maintenence of the ground and pitch) into Jackman over the years and have nothing to show for it other than a few seat that the LDMC put into the stand.

Its not ideal, but if it means getting a Prem licence and playing in the top flight who cares where we play for a year?

Oh, and in case anyone missed it :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljX8OBKdN_w

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Mc Love wrote: »
    Will it just be the terraces that are going to be used or the stands? Cant see both being used. Or maybe I am thinking the crowds will be low?

Whats the story for the club matches that are played there? I would say open 2 terraces or just a section of a stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

that is quality stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Whats the story for the club matches that are played there? I would say open 2 terraces or just a section of a stand.

Its usually a section of the West Stand and the terraces in front of the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Home fans will be in the east stand and east terrace
    Away fans will be in the west terrace, with the west stand closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Can't wait for the new season. Gonna talk some non-LOI-fan friends of mine into going so hopefully they get a good first impression at the Cork game. A lot of people used the 'crap facilities' excuse for not being interested in domestic football so hopefully these people will turn out.

Exciting times for Limerick. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Nice little feature from Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Rumour on another site that Gaffney is going to Sligo.

Very disappointing if true, but not all that surprising, given the uncertainty players must feel with no manager.

It has been a shambles to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

seeing this gaffney to sligo rumour a load of places, maybe i'll ask him on twitter. He replied the last time I asked he said "we'd see"

Stuart Taylor is supposedly the new manager in place. He has been coaching with a team in Qatar most recently and was a coach with Hamilton Accidemical in Scotland also.

Pat O Sullivan also said on the radio this morning that Rory Gaffney has re-signed for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Im not into rugby at all so Im not a regular visitor to Thomond Park. What will car parking be like for a match, is there a car park on the grounds/close to it?
    I know on big occassions that the garda close off some of the approach roads, I guess that for Limerick FC home matches the crowds arriving at the park would not warrant such action by the garda?

• Advertisement

banjobongo wrote: »
    Im not into rugby at all so Im not a regular visitor to Thomond Park. What will car parking be like for a match, is there a car park on the grounds/close to it?
    I know on big occassions that the garda close off some of the approach roads, I guess that for Limerick FC home matches the crowds arriving at the park would not warrant such action by the garda?

There is no parking facilities but you will be able to get parking easy enough in the surrounding areas. With max crowds of 3,000 I can't see any restrictions from the gardai re parking in the area.

Think it's time purchase my season ticket. Can't wait for the season to get under way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Jofspring wrote: »
    Stuart Taylor is supposedly the new manager in place. He has been coaching with a team in Qatar most recently and was a coach with Hamilton Accidemical in Scotland also.

Pat O Sullivan also said on the radio this morning that Rory Gaffney has re-signed for 2 years.

Some news:
    Limerick to announce Stuart Taylor appointment tomorrow (via TheJournal.ie) http://jrnl.ie/748229

Ya press conference called for 8am in The Strand.

John O Sullivan to be announced as most likely CEO also and hopefully a few signings.

Stuart Taylor confirmed on a 3 year contract. The media have said they didn't know much about him but he came across very impressive. Has been in contact with last seasons players over the last few days as well as 5 potential new signings. He is meeting the players face to face tonight and wants pre-season started ASAP.

Rory Gaffney re-signed last night also.

Current Squad for 2013:

Rory Gaffney
    Joe Gamble
    Shaun Kelly
    Stephen Bradley
    Stephen McGann
    Garbhan Coughlan
    Dominic Foley

With Shane Tracey and David O'Leary hopefully re-signing when thy return from PFAI tournament in Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Stuart Taylor has been announced as Limerick FC manager. They 38 year old Glasgow born coach at Hamilton Accies was offered the job after club officials interviewed potential candidates in Manchester.
    Good news for the club i hope and a welcome change from the managerial merry go round that exists in league of Ireland football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

washman3 wrote: »
    Stuart Taylor has been announced as Limerick FC manager. They 38 year old Glasgow born coach at Hamilton Accies was offered the job after club officials interviewed potential candidates in Manchester.
    Good news for the club i hope and a welcome change from the managerial merry go round that exists in league of Ireland football.

I'm not sure that is a good appointment - what credientials has this guy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I think these threads need to be merged!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Bit of a letdown after seeing some of the names linked with the job. But roll on the first game

Lets give the guy a chance first, who knows he could be the next Alex Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Our Brian wrote: »
    Lets give the guy a chance first, who knows he could be the next Alex Ferguson.

he would Want to be two alex fergusons with this squad below :D

Current Squad for 2013:

Rory Gaffney
    Joe Gamble
    Shaun Kelly
    Stephen Bradley
    Stephen McGann
    Garbhan Coughlan
    Dominic Foley

Advertisement