Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Look for Talk To forums

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Seems to be consistent then - I believe Dav may have had an issue with this too; Can I get the details from Browser/System/Resolution (except your IP) from http://www.boards.ie/diagnostics

Thanks,

Danny

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Your System

IP Address: 0.0.0.0

Operating System: Windows XP

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1312.52 Safari/537.17

Your Browser

Javascript Enabled: Yes

Cookies Enabled: Yes

Java Enabled: Yes

Flash Version: 11.5 r31 installed

Your Resolution

Screen: 1024 x 768

Current Browser: 1137 x 721

Colour: 32 bit

Our Server

Date/Time: Wednesday 16th of January 2013, 18:06:37

Name: www.boards.ie (lips)

LocalStorage

LS/SS Enabled: Yes

Followed Forums:

[{"forumid":"7","title":"After Hours","lastpost":"1358359531","cancontainthreads":"1","unread":"1","fingerprint":"149d1e183c1adfd24fe7fa7e68e6cc41"},{"forumid":"482","title":"Waterford City","lastpost":"1358358574","cancontainthreads":"1","unread":"1","fingerprint":"0023562870f9024acff807fefd024301"}]
    User Details

Username: Sully

User ID: 28107

Moderator: Yes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just some quick things that I noticed using the Three forum a while ago (my first foray into the Talk To since giving my initial thoughts on the Adverts.ie one). Sorry if these have been said before.
    • Why no preview post button when submitting a thread? I always like to preview my post when it's the OP of a thread, especially if I'm using BBcode for url's or images.
    • The "Have you found what you're looking for today?" pop-up... unnecessary much? I get why it's there, but I really don't think it's right to have it in a forum situation like that. As in, I sometimes browse the forums just out of curiosity, not looking for anything in particular, and I doubt I'm alone in that, so having the pop-up is just added clutter when I wasn't actually "looking" for anything.
      I don't understand why the companies would even want this extra Feedback. If someone asks a question and they answer it, the OP will usually either thank their post or reply saying thanks.
    • Probably the most important one: Bring back the menu bar at the top. Why was this gotten rid of? The Talk To forums are still part of Boards, by not having the easy access to all the forums at the top, you just increase the likelihood that someone will come in, use the Talk To forum and leave.
      It also makes it a lot harder to browse the site. It makes it more of a chore to go from one forum to the next because instead of just bringing down the menu, you've to click back to Boards proper, and then click to the forum you wanted to go to. Just seems counter intuitive.

EDIT: Ah, I see you have to hover over the bar for them to appear... any rationale behind this? Just seems... odd.

Other than that, I like the new look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Regarding the menu bar if your screen is not maximised you cannot scroll across to view all of the options.

When I open a thread it shows first post rather than most recent.

I used to visit the Vodafone thread alot for a giggle but haven't been so much since the change as it just isn't as user friendly.

Pop ups are always annoying no matter what is in them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBCode doesn't seem to parse in these new forums.

Also it might be an idea that when people try to contact a rep directly by PM they are forwarded onto the correct account to PM (or at least tell them why they can't send them a direct PM).

Finally, I assume those with less than 20 posts can send a PM?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    BBCode doesn't seem to parse in these new forums.

BBcode will not be quoted in posts - only post text will. This is an outstanding issue, listed in Dav's first post.
    Also it might be an idea that when people try to contact a rep directly by PM they are forwarded onto the correct account to PM (or at least tell them why they can't send them a direct PM).

This happens in the background - the user is under the impression they sent a PM to Company: Username but it gets sent to the group account automatically. Those reps who used to turn off messages can turn them back on again
    Finally, I assume those with less than 20 posts can send a PM?

There is no minimum postcount limit for sending private messages.

Danny

This happens in the background - the user is under the impression they sent a PM to Company: Username but it gets sent to the group account automatically. Those reps who used to turn off messages can turn them back on again

Not according to this post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82795111&postcount=1
    There is no minimum postcount limit for sending private messages.

Danny

In general or just on the Talk to Forums?

Finding it a bit annoying that when I reply to a thread, and leave the topic, its marked as unread even though I was the latest poster. I need to go back into the thread again to mark it as read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

On the talk to forums, if you move your mouse over the forums tools, the drop down box opens. However on the normal forums, you need to click on the forum tools for the drop down box to appear. Surely it should be the same for both? I prefer having to click on the forum tools just as an FYI :P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

No, but it is hidden from view. Move your mouse onto the blue header and it should appear.

Danny
    This isin't working for me.

Also how do you spilt someones post?
    Move your mouse onto the blue header and it should appear.
    Can't do this now ^^^

Or can ya?

• Advertisement

Also how do you spilt someones post?

The same way you always did - manually.

This isin't working for me.

Can't do this now ^^^

Or can ya?

It's working fine for me, we've not touched any talk-to code in quite some time.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

It's working fine for me, we've not touched any talk-to code in quite some time.

Danny
    Jaysus, OK, it definitely wasn't working for me when I posted that earlier. Can you speed it up so that it drops as soon as mouse arrow hits it, theirs a delay.

first world problems.jpg

The same way you always did - manually.
    Ahh I figured it out, you have to click "view source button" to get [/QUOTE] and the numbers
    Boards.ie: Danny;83052922
    at the start to appear.

Is the preview button gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Maybe it's been posted already, but some signatures are being displayed with a very small font size on the new Talk to forums (see: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056873849 and any of dub45 's posts (#5 or #8)).

I'm using Chrome on a 1920 x 1080p monitor, Windows XP.

Screenshot attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Has anyone else reported that the Merge Threads function isn't behaving the same as other forums?

I've recently merged several threads but the the survivor thread is appearing as 'Moved'

dudara wrote: »
    Has anyone else reported that the Merge Threads function isn't behaving the same as other forums?

I've recently merged several threads but the the survivor thread is appearing as 'Moved'

Nobody has - can we get a link to the forum and the thread?

Danny

Just a reminder - this appears still not to be working. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Just a reminder - this appears still not to be working. :)

Just tested in the 3 talk to forum where PMing the correct address had caused confusion for a long time and it seems to be working OK.

Advertisement