Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Look for Talk To forums

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I've disabled advertisements - subscriber perk - but they're appearing in the new Talk to forums ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Lumi wrote: »
    I've disabled advertisements - subscriber perk - but they're appearing in the new Talk to forums ?

Hey Lumi. That's an oversight on our end, we'll sort it out directly. Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I'm going to have to go back to blocking the advertisments because the ones in the Talk to forums are so over the top and in your face they are getting annoying. Currrently on the Talk to 3 forum home page I see mainly blank space, one Sticked thread and an advert, previously I could see the first seven threads on the forum.

I know its probably not the case but it looks like the whole exercise was to provide a good advertising spot then organise the rest of the forum around it?

Hey Lumi, this should be resolved now. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭lynchie

Is there no cloud skin for these new talk forums?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

lynchie wrote: »
    Is there no cloud skin for these new talk forums?

There are no skins at all for the new talk to forums. There may be "themes" that will change the colours but they are not implemented as of yet. There won't be skins that change the layout of the page.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can see commercial adverts in my view of the Talk to forums. The ad appears just after the first post in a thread (just like it does when you are not logged in). For clarity, I am am logged in.

dudara wrote: »
    I can see commercial adverts in my view of the Talk to forums. The ad appears just after the first post in a thread (just like it does when you are not logged in). For clarity, I am am logged in.

As far as I know this is expected behaviour. Companies can opt to buy ad-slots in their talk-to forums so that only their ads show up (e.g. Bank of Ireland, Adverts.ie). If you are subscriber who has removed ads then this isn't OK though - do you fall into that bracket of users?

Danny

Not a subscriber here. I was under the impression that I didn't see ads though as a moderator. Was I wrong in that?

OK so this is getting silly :eek:

Wheres the quote button gone in the Talk to Three forum and why doesn't Multiquote work as a replacement (click Multiquote on the one post then click reply?).

The only way to reply now seems to be at the botton of the thread and there is no "advanced reply" (like I'm typing in now) which means there are no "
    /
    " etc tags on the menu bar.

And I really don't want to see "Did you find what you were looking for today" on every Talk to page I look at!

Edit> So is the only way to reply to a thread in the Talk to forums to use what is the same feature as the "Quick Reply" in this thread? That said the feature set of the quick reply and the Talk to furoms reply is somewhat different.

• Advertisement

eirator wrote: »
    OK so this is getting silly :eek:

Wheres the quote button gone in the Talk to Three forum and why doesn't Multiquote work as a replacement (click Multiquote on the one post then click reply?).

Clicking on the "Reply" button will now autoscroll you to the "Reply To Thread" section with the selected post quoted, allowing you to reply directly to that post. Clicking the "Multiquote" button will add that post to the reply box, allowing you to select / deselect the posts you wish to reply to as you scroll the thread. There is no autoscroll currently active on the multiquote button. The selected posts will be preserved in the reply box when traversing through thread pages.
    The only way to reply now seems to be at the botton of the thread and there is no "advanced reply" (like I'm typing in now) which means there are no "[NOPARSE]
    /
    [/NOPARSE]" etc tags on the menu bar.

The new reply box provides the majority of the functionality provided by the existing "Advanced Reply", with the more obsolete options removed. Let us know what you think, ideally with some constructive use cases if at all possible where you feel changes could be warranted, thanks.
    And I really don't want to see "Did you find what you were looking for today" on every Talk to page I look at!

Once dismissed the survey should not reappear on any page specific to the forum it was originally dismissed from. If you're encountering the survey on multiple pages of the same forum after dismissal this is a bug, let me know if this is the case and I'll take a look as soon as possible, thanks.

Thanks for the feedback eirator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

I can't see the poll on the thread: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056850633

Clicking on the "Reply" button will now autoscroll you to the "Reply To Thread" section with the selected post quoted, allowing you to reply directly to that post. Clicking the "Multiquote" button will add that post to the reply box, allowing you to select / deselect the posts you wish to reply to as you scroll the thread. There is no autoscroll currently active on the multiquote button. The selected posts will be preserved in the reply box when traversing through thread pages.

Multiquote does nothing for me, it highlights then when I click reply there is no quote in the reply box. Ah LOL spotted whats going on when I click Multiquote it dumps the text at the top of the screen a reboot seems to have that fixed. - FIXED
    The new reply box provides the majority of the functionality provided by the existing "Advanced Reply", with the more obsolete options removed. Let us know what you think, ideally with some constructive use cases if at all possible where you feel changes could be warranted, thanks.

I use the quote tag to for example quote for example T&C's today I quoted from the dataprotection website and had to add my own quote tags.- QUOTE TAGS PLEASE
    Once dismissed the survey should not reappear on any page specific to the forum it was originally dismissed from. If you're encountering the survey on multiple pages of the same forum after dismissal this is a bug, let me know if this is the case and I'll take a look as soon as possible, thanks.

After dismissing the survery 4-5 times by hitting no then no again it kept comming back it stopped after I clicked yes and took the survey but dumped the survey as the questions make assumptions that are not valid, not everyone that visits has a specific issue that needs solving. Tried another browser and the surveys started again neither saying no twice or hitting the X stops it comming up when browsing another thread on the same forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OK, adverts.ie talk-to is now displaying in the new look by default, and it's really bugging me. Is there any way I can revert it? :)

I can't see the poll on the thread: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056850633

The new look doesn't support polls currently
    Steve wrote: »
    OK, adverts.ie talk-to is now displaying in the new look by default, and it's really bugging me. Is there any way I can revert it? :)

I'm afraid there is no way to revert to the old look

Danny

Not a subscriber here. I was under the impression that I didn't see ads though as a moderator. Was I wrong in that?

Yes, but there's just some small confusion. The behaviour of the old style was to not show ads to anybody in talk-to forums unless the company had bought their own ad-slot. It's been changed now as per my previous post - hope this clarifies the situation

Danny

Still very unhappy with the wasted space at the top of the Talk to Forums, but another question about the "Post Reply" button thats next to the "Follow Thread" whats it there for?

If you scroll down to the last post in a thread you often see the "Post Reply" button thats next to the "Follow Thread" button. In "normal" boards threads this button opens the post reply dialog in the Talk to Forums if does sfa.

Also if I hit the real Post Reply button below the Reply dialog box when there is no text in it I get taken to a Boards 503 msg with this URL in the address bar (obviousl in the Talk to Three forum) http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/reply

One more - Are Avatars supposed to be on by default for the Talk to Forums? I have the checkbox unticked in my profile but now I'm seeing Avatars in the Talk to Forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

I've noticed that when using 'https everywhere' on Firefox, I cannot create or reply to posts. The top section for new posts just disappears.

One more - Are Avatars supposed to be on by default for the Talk to Forums? I have the checkbox unticked in my profile but now I'm seeing Avatars in the Talk to Forums.

This should be resolved now
    rockal wrote: »
    I've noticed that when using 'https everywhere' on Firefox, I cannot create or reply to posts. The top section for new posts just disappears.

Please bear in mind that Boards.ie does not support 'HTTPS everywhere' but know that I've just tested it on Firefox over lunch and found no adverse effects, nothing "disappeared" on my interface and I seem to be able to create posts just fine.

Danny

• Advertisement

Please bear in mind that Boards.ie does not support 'HTTPS everywhere' but know that I've just tested it on Firefox over lunch and found no adverse effects, nothing "disappeared" on my interface and I seem to be able to create posts just fine.

Danny

Dosen't effect the rest of Boards.ie only the new 'Talk To' Forums'

rockal wrote: »
    Dosen't effect the rest of Boards.ie

That you know of :) In any case some screenshots of your issues would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Danny

That you know of :) In any case some screenshots of your issues would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Danny

Screen dumps herewith - one http and the othe https

They're fairly small caps to be fair but I don't see what's missing.

Danny

Yes, but there's just some small confusion. The behaviour of the old style was to not show ads to anybody in talk-to forums unless the company had bought their own ad-slot. It's been changed now as per my previous post - hope this clarifies the situation

Thanks for responding - does this mean that I should see Currys & PC World adverts (for instance) in the Curry's & PC World forum? I ask this because I am seeing ads for Adverts.ie in there, intermixed with posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Talk to new thread page is crashing its chrome tab for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

At the moment, I really think this is taking a step backwards. I'm not a fan of the new look at all, but that is just my opinion. I'm sure there are a lot of people like it :)

I have found one small bug so far. I have an email notification set up for instant notification to a thread in the UPC forum and never got an email when a response was posted

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks for responding - does this mean that I should see Currys & PC World adverts (for instance) in the Curry's & PC World forum? I ask this because I am seeing ads for Adverts.ie in there, intermixed with posts.

If you are seeing Adverts.ie in the Curry's forum or any other forum, its because said company decided not to be the sole advertiser on said Talk to Forum. If they did, you would only see adverts from that company.

Subscribers who have adverts disabled wont see any adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Why is it that when you click on a link that has been posted in any of the Talk to forums that the link opens in the same page, requiring you to arrow back a page to get to the thread you were originally reading, whereas if you click a link posted in any other part of the site it opens in a new page?

I know that you can set your browser settings to open links in new page/tab, but even with that set as default in firefox links in the Talk to forums still open in the same page (for me at any rate) when they don't in others. Am I missing something here or is this a bug?

Advertisement