Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Look for Talk To forums

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Why is it that when you click on a link that has been posted in any of the Talk to forums that the link opens in the same page, requiring you to arrow back a page to get to the thread you were originally reading, whereas if you click a link posted in any other part of the site it opens in a new page?

I know that you can set your browser settings to open links in new page/tab, but even with that set as default in firefox links in the Talk to forums still open in the same page (for me at any rate) when they don't in others. Am I missing something here or is this a bug?
    I always right click and then "open link in new tab". Do that with everything.

Is their gonna be a dark version along soon? Nearly went blind the other night.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Is their gonna be a dark version along soon? Nearly went blind the other night.:P
    Click your mouse wheel instead ;)

Elmidena wrote: »
    Click your mouse wheel instead ;)
    Na, middle click for me is only used when I can't can't get something to fit just right on the page with a normal scroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Yea, I could of course do that, but that method involves doing more than the method I used previously. I'd have thought a new look forum would strive to make the user experience to simpler rather than harder by adding extra steps. Yours is more of a workaround than a solution really - a bit like: the front door is no longer working so you'll need to climb over a fence & use the back door to get in & over a different fence on the way out to get back to where you came from. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I do find the frequent pop-ups on the 'Talk to' a bit of an irritant - "Did you find what you were looking for" etc.

Also, any given post will show how many times it's been thanked, but you have to click through to find out by whom. To my mind, that kinda interrupts the flow of how one browses the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Threads in the "Talk to" forums need the colour envelopes back. Its very bland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I do find the frequent pop-ups on the 'Talk to' a bit of an irritant - "Did you find what you were looking for" etc.
    Ditto, I feel like hitting the screen every time it pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Never seen this myself. Does this only appear if you're browsing the forums while logged out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Alun wrote: »
    Ditto, I feel like hitting the screen every time it pops up.

Is it just me or do other folk get the pop ups on every Talk to thread they visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

The new TT layout is awful and a step backward.

The user name in the 'Last Post'-column only shows about the first 15 or so characters of the user name which isn't very useful in the case of TT (e.g. 1333 - only displays 'Currys PC World: ...' ).

The 'Representatives'-box should be hidable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

eirator wrote: »
    Is it just me or do other folk get the pop ups on every Talk to thread they visit?

The behaviour of the pop up is as follows:

Show 45 seconds after page load - prompt the user to participate in the survey. If the user participates then set a cookie so they don't see the popup again for that forum. If they answer No twice or dismiss the popup then it will reappear, no cookie is set. It isn't a permanent feature

Danny

The behaviour of the pop up is as follows:

Show 45 seconds after page load - prompt the user to participate in the survey. If the user participates then set a cookie so they don't see the popup again for that forum. If they answer No twice or dismiss the popup then it will reappear, no cookie is set. It isn't a permanent feature

Danny
    Danny, last night i got the pop up on the UPC forum. I done the survey. Went back this morning to check something and got the survey again. I didn't clear cookies during the night or do anything else.

ken wrote: »
    Danny, last night i got the pop up on the UPC forum. I done the survey. Went back this morning to check something and got the survey again. I didn't clear cookies during the night or do anything else.

Hi Ken,

It's a session cookie so it will be gone when you shut down the browser. The thinking behind it is that somebody may come several times over the course of the day to check things on the same forum, having different experiences each time.

Danny

Hi Ken,

It's a session cookie so it will be gone when you shut down the browser. The thinking behind it is that somebody may come several times over the course of the day to check things on the same forum, having different experiences each time.

Danny
    Oh Ok, It doesn't bother me at all just when you said it should only appear once i thought it might be a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I no more want to "share my experience" of the Talk To.. forums than I want share it for any of the others. It's just an annoyance, and would be glad to see the back of it tbh.

Alun wrote: »
    I no more want to "share my experience" of the Talk To.. forums than I want share it for any of the others. It's just an annoyance, and would be glad to see the back of it tbh.
    Chance to win €100 if you do the survey. It took 5-7 mins to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Not the biggest fan of the revisions.

Using the Curry's/PCWorld forum on an iPad using iOS 6.1 and bothe the 'Follow Forum' button and the 'Thanks' button are not working.

ken wrote: »
    Chance to win €100 if you do the survey. It took 5-7 mins to do it.
    Someones brother or sister always wins them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

This post has been deleted.

Still the same, cant get onto any threads in the forum from m.boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is the top menu missing, to navigate AWAY from the TT forum?

Is the top menu missing, to navigate AWAY from the TT forum?

No, but it is hidden from view. Move your mouse onto the blue header and it should appear.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Just did the survey there and I noticed that Gamesnash doesn't seem to be in the list of companies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox both freeze when typing in 'Post a Question' on the o2 Forum. Its very slow to type, but it eventually freezes.

Sully wrote: »
    Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox both freeze when typing in 'Post a Question' on the o2 Forum. Its very slow to type, but it eventually freezes.

How slow? And how much are you typing? Also does it happen on the quick reply or only on the O2 forum? We have some event handlers on it but nothing that should lock it up.

Danny

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How slow? And how much are you typing? Also does it happen on the quick reply or only on the O2 forum? We have some event handlers on it but nothing that should lock it up.

Danny

Very slow from the start. Much slower than typing here. I eventually posted my query but it took a good while and there is often a long pause before the sentence is completed. Chrome crashed.

Didn't try another forum - I will if you like but it would need to be removed then after?

Very slow from the start. Much slower than typing here. I eventually posted my query but it took a good while and there is often a long pause before the sentence is completed. Chrome crashed.

Didn't try another forum - I will if you like but it would need to be removed then after?

Well if you'd like to try type something without submitting it and get back to me it would be appreciated. I noticed a minor slowdown when the post got very long and was split over about 100 lines (i.e. me bashing the keyboard) but I've not experienced crashed or slow performance by the editor.

If you do happen to submit something just link me to it and I'll make it disappear.

Thanks

Danny

Happens on the PC World Forum half way through typing my first line!

Happens on the PC World Forum half way through typing my first line!

http://www.sceditor.com/

Does it happen on that editor?

• Advertisement

http://www.sceditor.com/

Does it happen on that editor?

Nope, works perfect there.

Advertisement