Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5335 for the Dept. of Social protection annual retired staff get together

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Odysseus wrote: »
    God, the level of resentment here is gas. You guys would might want to ease off before you do some damage to yourselves, seriously it can't be good for you.

Is there a way a person can register displeasure at indulgent waste of public money that will not incur your condescension?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

jmayo wrote: »
    Isn't your psychologist pay grade linked to that of a psychiatrist, someone with a medical degree ?
    Surely that is nice enough ?
    That added to the usual sick days that most in the HSe seem to count as annual leave.

It's ok, if it was enough I would not do any private work at all. Yeah, considering my experience and qualifications, and the service I supply in return it's ok, I'm not a money chaser though, I would turn down more private work that I take on.

If I wanted to chase money I would leave the HSE. Far more money to be made in private work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I worked in the civil service for about 5 years in Dublin, never had anything paid for. Not even the milk in our canteens was paid for! My dad worked for Revenue for 40 years and their staff parties were never paid for either, unless the higher up people put out a spread or put some cash behind the bar.
    Where I work now we get free food all day, free beer on fridays, they pay for my public transport, we have playstations and xboxes in the office, etc etc.
    Sometimes I spend half the whole day reading boards and watching youtube, I certainly do less work than I did in Dublin, where we weren't even allowed internet access.

So the country is broke, but how do you actually think these staff should be treated? I wonder how much they'd need to take away from the public sector in order to make these bitter people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I worked in the civil service for about 5 years in Dublin, never had anything paid for. Not even the milk in our canteens was paid for! My dad worked for Revenue for 40 years and their staff parties were never paid for either, unless the higher up people put out a spread or put some cash behind the bar.
    Where I work now we get free food all day, free beer on fridays, they pay for my public transport, we have playstations and xboxes in the office, etc etc.
    Sometimes I spend half the whole day reading boards and watching youtube, I certainly do less work than I did in Dublin, where we weren't even allowed internet access.

So the country is broke, but how do you actually think these staff should be treated? I wonder how much they'd need to take away from the public sector in order to make these bitter people happy.

nothings been taken away from these retirees, i think thats the point. They have gilted pensions and would have had a lump sum retirement.

What do you want us to do spend public money on beer and playstations ?

Sounds like the place you are working in creates its own wealth to an extent that it can afford to treat and grab staff through incentives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

They are not staff, they are ex-employees. The only staff involved in this is the ones that had to take time off from their regular duties to organise it and the people in the mailroom..

I think they have more to be doing than organising parties

Amnesty urged to clear backlog

before Mar 2011’s general election, 3,769 people were told to wait for the €204-a-week allowance.

However, this queue now stands at 8,981 people — the worst rate since the economic crash — and includes 4,068 payments delayed more than six months and 517 applicants waiting more than a year.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    What do you want us to do spend public money on beer and playstations ?

No but in the Western World the work environment has improved for most people over the years, and I don't think the public in Ireland would be happy unless they took absolutely everything away from the Public Service.

Would you prefer for everything to be privatised?

Boombastic wrote: »
    They are not staff, they are ex-employees. The only staff involved in this is the ones that had to take time off from their regular duties to organise it and the people in the mailroom..

I think they have more to be doing than organising parties

Oh come on, someone organises a party, big deal? This happens in every organisation nowadays, get over it.

Oh come on, someone organises a party, big deal? This happens in every organisation nowadays, get over it.

This is only one party they held, they had more...and yes people getting paid to organise parties when there is such a backlog in the department is not what tax is paid for....9,000 carers waiting to be processed and they see it fit to spend their time organising parties.:rolleyes:

Cuts all around but getting €5335 and wages together for drink is no issue??

Over in revenue, they are having cocktails in the office from 12 and even if your not rostered on, you will be paid/given time in lieu for attending the party, why can't their party start after 5.30??.

This is only one party they held, they had more...and yes people getting paid to organise parties when there is such a backlog in the department is not what tax is paid for....9,000 carers waiting to be processed and they see it fit to spend their time organising parties.:rolleyes:

Cuts all around but getting €5335 and wages together for drink is no issue??

Over in revenue, they are having cocktails in the office from 12 and even if your not rostered on, you will be paid/given time in lieu for attending the party, why can't their party start after 5.30??.

I wish we could create a worker nation of robots.
    I called Sky broadmand the other day and had to hold for 25 minutes, should they not have an Xmas party as there's too long a hold time?
    Anyway I don't think we'll ever agree on this, happy xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Well someone has to pay for the sky+ we have in the lunch room. They will not give to us for free.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Well someone has to pay for the sky+ we have in the lunch room. They will not give to us for free.

Do ye sit in the freezing cold watching it?:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And is the taxpayers money being used to divvy up for the xboxes and playstations ?
    Is taxpayers money being used to buy the free beer ?

No it is fooking not and comparing the two is not the bloody same.
    It is your employer, and by extension their customers, who are paying for that largese.

If your company was bankrupt and the equivalent of being in receivership or administration do you fooking think that all those perks would still exist for you.
    Trust me I have worked for a company that had money to throw away on team building pi** ups (sorry excercises) when times were good, but when they were in receivership we couldn't even get a lunch or travel allowance when out on site.

BTW when your dad retired from revenue (assuming he retired out of there), did he get a tax free lump sum payment and a defined benefit pension linked to current pay ?
    So please stop this sh** about how he got nothing for all his years service. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Cocktails that the staff paid for. Is begrudging them a half day for an xmas party really going to hurt the country?

Seriously there are real problems in the public service but a half day for an xmas party is a good thing for staff morale.

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's the way it should be.

What private companies do is up to them. Comparisons are irrelevant. It seems to me there is an element of begrudgery on behalf of public sector workers toward the private sector, for some unknown reason they think they should be entitled to the same perks as private sector workers. Nonsense.

So long as the tax payer is forced to fund the public sector then they are well within their rights to complain about wasteful spending. I don't pay my taxes to fund parties, milk or food for them.

jmayo wrote: »
    And is the taxpayers money being used to divvy up for the xboxes and playstations ?
    Is taxpayers money being used to buy the free beer ?

No it is fooking not and comparing the two is not the bloody same.
    It is your employer, and by extension their customers, who are paying for that largese.

If your company was bankrupt and the equivalent of being in receivership or administration do you fooking think that all those perks would still exist for you.
    Trust me I have worked for a company that had money to throw away on team building pi** ups (sorry excercises) when times were good, but when they were in receivership we couldn't even get a lunch or travel allowance when out on site.

BTW when your dad retired from revenue (assuming he retired out of there), did he get a tax free lump sum payment and a defined benefit pension linked to current pay ?
    So please stop this sh** about how he got nothing for all his years service. :mad:

Never said that, sigh.
    No I'm just saying, a lot of people who work in those departments are smart educated people who could work elsewhere for more money, including me.
    Being stuck in an office 8 hours a day is no ones idea as fun, so the odd perk here and there to lighten the mood isn't the end of the world, is all I'm saying.

awec wrote: »
    So long as the tax payer is forced to fund the public sector then they are well within their rights to complain about wasteful spending. I don't pay my taxes to fund parties, milk or food for them.

Forced to fund the public sector. Do you think we should just stop all government services then? The country wont run itself.

And I'm not a public sector worker anymore, but I have been, and I feel for them getting slaughtered all the time. I didn't like the job, found it boring, with absolutely no job satisfaction, and no opportunties. So I left and pursued a career elsewhere. I made sure I was employable elsewhere from studying at night and learning.
    They will have to hire sooner or later, so for all you who hate the public sector so much and the world of riches they are entitled to, positions will open there in the next 5 years or so open to everyone. If their world is so easy and lackadaisical, you may want to work there yourself.

Forced to fund the public sector. Do you think we should just stop all government services then? The country wont run itself.

this department can't even run itself...ffs...9,000 people waiting to be processed

And I'm not a public sector worker anymore, but I have been, and I feel for them getting slaughtered all the time. I didn't like the job, found it boring, with absolutely no job satisfaction, and no opportunties. So I left and pursued a career elsewhere. I made sure I was employable elsewhere from studying at night and learning.
    They will have to hire sooner or later, so for all you who hate the public sector so much and the world of riches they are entitled to, positions will open there in the next 5 years or so open to everyone. If their world is so easy and lackadaisical, you may want to work there yourself.
    No.

I am saying the public sector is different to the private sector. I am forced to fund it, so it should be as cheap as possible to run.

That means no public funded parties, free food, free drink or anything like that. Workers should be provided with a place to work and get a salary in return.

No.

I am saying the public sector is different to the private sector. I am forced to fund it, so it should be as cheap as possible to run.

That means no public funded parties, free food, free drink or anything like that. Workers should be provided with a place to work and get a salary in return.

A few creature comforts are fine, in my opinion. Love thai brother etc. You may have a son or daughter in the civil service one day, they're only human.

• Advertisement

A few creature comforts are fine, in my opinion. Love thai brother etc. You may have a son or daughter in the civil service one day, they're only human.
    I may, and I will warn them that working in the public sector will give you an outrageous level of job security with an inflated salary and in return you forego any chance of perks, free food, funded parties and any other interesting add-ons that occur in the private sector.

I may, and I will warn them that working in the public sector will give you an outrageous level of job security with an inflated salary and in return you forego any chance of perks, free food, funded parties and any other interesting add-ons that occur in the private sector.

My salary was not inflated, I am on about 7k more at the moment than I was there.
    I can see big changes in the next 10 years as regards job security and salaries anyway, you'll get what you want, it'll just take time is all, time for the established older employees to retire and new recruits to be brought in on much harsher terms.

......................, time for the established older employees to retire and new recruits to be brought in on much harsher terms.

And when they retire, the money saved from the new recruits can be used to fund their annual get together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

And when they retire, the money saved from the new recruits can be used to fund their annual get together

Can't wait..... it'll give you something else to moan about.

I dunno.

I work in the public sector.

This wasn't a justifiable use of public funds, whether they were retired, current employees, whatever- makes no difference. It's exchequer funds and (regardless of the state the country's finances are in) those funds shouldn't be thrown around so lightly.

On the other hand- jmayo's declaration that a public servant pays minus figures in tax merely because their employer is the government is laughable stuff, I mean really poor stuff.

And the claims from other numerous posters that because one sector is profit-funded (eg overcharging customers) as opposed to financed by taxes (sorry, I meant 'gouged out of the pocket of the working man') that there should therefore be nothing but Dickensian penury in the threadbare offices of all public departments, I don't know that this necessarily holds up either.

For the record- I've never had a work-funded party (nor so much as a pint off them) in seven years. And I fully understand why any taxpayer (myself included) would consider that only right and proper. I just think that the same applies for any company- it's just not a valid use of the funds of any organisation imo.

I just think that the same applies for any company- it's just not a valid use of the funds of any organisation imo.

That's ridiculous, companies who are earning money will earn more if they keep their employees happy, i.e. treating them once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's the €250 donated to the Church that's the worst of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No.

Cheap doesn't mean good.

That's ridiculous, companies who are earning money will earn more if they keep their employees happy, i.e. treating them once in a while.

OK, I take the point as fair, if I may be allowed to amend the spirit of my statement to say something likeany organisation should not spend money without a clear benefit to achievement of the organisational goals (nebulous though the traceback may be from any given expenditure on 'goodwill' to 'increased output').

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If you believe that, wouldn't the same apply to production in the public sector. Happy workers = better workers?

Advertisement