Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5335 for the Dept. of Social protection annual retired staff get together

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

Odysseus wrote: »
    Because the Church provided a service, the mass for those who died this year.

There's more bullsh*t money grubbing issues for another thread altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

You are something else! The lenghts you are going to justify this disgusting, decadent display of Civil Servive "Up Yours We're Alright Jack!" is sickening in the extreme.

There are hundreds of thousands of emplyed people in this country who do not event get a christmas party as their employers need ever penny they can get to keep the companies solvents and their workers understand as they want to keep their jobs.

Civil Servants make me want to vomit.

....a decent Christmas this year at all, let alone a party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Zillah wrote: »
    There are people having to drop out of college mid-education and move back home with their families because their grants weren't coming through - grants which were needed to feed them and pay rent. For some of them even a few hundred quid would have kept them going. Even say, 1000 each...that's five people who might never get a college degree now.

Sure hope it was a good fu[SIZE="2"]ck[/SIZE]ing party.

You're targeting the wrong people. The grants aren't delayed because the HSE spent €5000 on a Christmas party for pensioners. You're just being petty. If you wanna blame someone for the grants look closer to home. The level of waste in the education sector is pretty high.

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If the likes of AIB spent 5000 on a party for ex-workers I imagine the reaction on here would be quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

omahaid wrote: »
    It did happen in the past...

Still completely unacceptable no matter when it happened IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

awec wrote: »
    If the likes of AIB spent 5000 on a party for ex-workers I imagine the reaction on here would be quite different.

No it won't change my reaction.
    They are another leeching crowd of sh**s who see the taxpayers as a hole in the wall they can continually draw from.

I wouldn't care two cr**s how many or how big a party NIB, Rabo, Microsoft, Intel, etc had because they are not expecting the taxpayers to pony up for it.

And I am tired of hearing this sh** about what is 5,000 in the grand scheme of things.
    I wonder how the revenue would act if I told them they can go fook themselves for 5k that I owe them since in the grand scheme of things it is fook all. :rolleyes:
    Hell maybe i shoudl contact mick wallace for advice on that.

All those little 5ks add up and in case it has slipped the minds of all public sector workers and their fanboys/girls this little country is broke.

What gets me is that probably some of the same people defending this sh**e will be on raving that the other countries in the Euro and EU owe us a debt writeoff on banking debt.

If I was a German, Danish, Finnish, Dutch taxpayer it would probably be comforting to know that their taxes are meant to help bail out the Irish who can still throw parties for their retired staff. :rolleyes:

And I am not even mentioning the tax free lump sums and defined benefit pensions they would have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jmayo wrote: »
    They are another leeching crowd of sh**s who see the taxpayers as a hole in the wall they can continually draw from.

I wouldn't care two cr**s how many or how big a party NIB, Rabo, Microsoft, Intel, etc had because they are not expecting the taxpayers to pony up for it.

And I am tired of hearing this sh** about what is 5,000 in the grand scheme of things.
    I wonder how the revenue would act if I told them they can go fook themselves for 5k that I owe them since in the grand scheme of things it is fook all. :rolleyes:

All those little 5ks add up and in case it has slipped the minds of all public sector workers and their fanboys/girls this little country is broke.

What gets me is that probably some of the same people defending this sh**e will be on raving that the other countries in the Euro and EU owe us a debt writeoff on banking debt.

If I was a German, Danish, Finnish, Dutch taxpayer it would probably be comforting to know that their taxes are meant to help bail out the Irish who can still throw parties for their retired staff. :rolleyes:

And I am not even mentioning the tax free lump sums and defined benefit pensions they would have gotten.

+ 1million

kceire wrote: »
    I think this boat has sailed.
    My private pension (PRSA) with AIB is up more now than it was at the height of the boom. It has grown by nearly 20% compared to my contributions from 2004-2009.

Are you saying all pensions are down or just using a headline from a paper a few years old?

My pension took a massive hit in 2007/2008 and is only making ground back up now.
    And no I am not saying all pensions are the same or take equal hits, etc.

But if you are a public sector worker then for the most part you don't need to worry about such things since your pension is guaranteed and going to be payable by the taxpayers.

Oh and we don't all take our lead from what I guess you would claim would be journos stirring it up.
    Spindle wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious, such as supporting families, paying bills, saving, etc.

You use the same public services that they use.

You pay taxes.

Your entitled to the same basic state benefits on retirement.

You don't get it do you ?
    I and other private sector workers pay taxes not alone for the services, but also to keep some overinflated salaries going for public sector workers.
    And the level of service delivery is often utter sh**e.
    You are free to apply apply for jobs in the public sector it is not a closed system.

Ah the old line about why didn't we all join up.
    AFAIK we are not a communist state where everyone works for the government.
    BTW notice how well that worked out. :rolleyes:

And contrary to your assertion I would state it can be often be a closed system where it is not what you know, but who you know.
    Trust me on that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I agree with you, it shouldn't have happened. This is something that really grinds my gears.

There are people that think the public sector are entitled to the same sort of perks and benefits as the private sector. This is nonsense. If private companies want to fund lavish parties for their employees that's fine by me, I'm not being forced to pay for it.

So long as I'm forced to pay taxes though the public sector should be looking to cut as many costs as it possibly can. I don't pay my taxes for a party for retired workers ffs. I wouldn't even be happy if public money was spent on parties for current workers!

The public sector in Ireland needs a dose of reality. A bloated, wasteful mess. Is there anyone who thinks what we have now is effective and efficient?

5 grand is small in the grand scheme of things, but it is the principle of it.

And contrary to your assertion I would state it can be often be a closed system where it is not what you know, but who you know.
    Trust me on that.
    Very true. So many public service family dynasties. Jobs for the boys. We're alright Jack. Closed shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Very true. So many public service family dynasties. Jobs for the boys. We're alright Jack. Closed shop.

Ah, the old I couldn't get a job, it must have went to someone's brother line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeNeed Another General Election

this is completely unnecessary spending! end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

It's quite unbelievable that anyone can defend such a farcical use of our taxes.

You're spot on there, it's quite unbelievable that ... "Prior to the abolition of the Groceries Order in 2006, it was not possible to sell alcohol at below cost. Since its abolition, retailers can reclaim VAT on the losses they incur on products chosen to be sold below cost. The Exchequer loses out significantly because of this practice. VAT is refunded on the higher bought in value and paid on the lower “below cost” selling value.
    Banning the retailing of alcohol at below invoice cost price will ensure that retailers cannot reclaim 23% of the cost of the loss leader in their VAT return; saving the State an average of €21m each year.
    "

A saving of €21 MILLION PER YEAR !! Those bleedin govurrinment run supermarkets have a lot to answer for, you wuddint see a private outfit wasting that much, and don't get me started on the GAA and their bleedin Croke Park Deal.

Yours indignantly,

Paudie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

parasites still on the take even in retirement

How are they parasites? And anyway what do you care in manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Lumbo wrote: »

It does happen, in both the public and private sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

God, the level of resentment here is gas. You guys would might want to ease off before you do some damage to yourselves, seriously it can't be good for you.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Not me personally but i do work in a semi state and the level of nepotism is truly staggering, so many people are related, its not even funny.
    From what i've seen it is rife across most areas of the public service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

There were no fiddles when Nero was alive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

God, the level of resentment here is gas. You guys would might want to ease off before you do some damage to yourselves, seriously it can't be good for you.

don't worry - we'll end up on your couch and the HSE can bring you out for a party with our fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

This is the kind of rubbish that depresses me, there should be no way that you are left to rot in bad facilities and can't get in contact with somebody to get a heater to keep you warm. And if you did get in contact with someone have to go through red-tape and forms just to get something done.

This is why I never like public v private sector debates, as working in either does not mean you are working in dream job where everything is perfect.

Although I can't understand how you can defend frivolous spending on parties when there is not that much money about.

My children are in a school that is in essence just a bunch of cold, damp perfabs.
    One has been there for his entire primary education, frozen to the bone throughout winter.

Does the thought of this depress you too?

• Advertisement

don't worry - we'll end up on your couch and the HSE can bring you out for a party with our fees.

That would be interesting as the HSE have never brought me out for as much as a drink in the 16 years I have been there.

Whereas any the organisations I have done private work for generally do lots of things like that.

There are reasons why I won't leave the HSE but the wages and the benefits people think I get are certainly not the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

revenue are getting paid their wages for attending their christmas party, can they not have it after hours like everyone else? Starting with cocktails in the office from 12:rolleyes:

Revenue staff get paid to eat Christmas lunch

REVENUE staff will be marked on-duty while they attend their office Christmas lunch in a popular Dublin restaurant.

An email sent to staff in the Revenue Solicitor's Office tells workers "all those who attend the Christmas party will be considered on-duty"............................

It appears that even those who are not due in the office on the day but who attend the party will get flexi-time credit for the work-time hours they spend at the party.

The email that was sent to staff read: "I can confirm, as this is a work event, all those who attend the Christmas party will be considered on-duty until 5.30pm and flexi-time given accordingly.....................................................................

Beforehand, one member of staff is due to hold a cocktail reception in her office from noon.

"You are all of course very much welcomed to the cocktail hour and I have a new cocktail to present called the Twink," workers are told in an email.

Did we not cover the Revenue Staff party already, even most of AH did not try to deny them that IIRC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Did we not cover the Revenue Staff party already, even most of AH did not try to deny them that IIRC?

Perhaps, I didn't see that thread. Why do they start it at 12 in the day? Who's paying for the cocktails?

Boombastic wrote: »
    Perhaps, I didn't see that thread. Why do they start it at 12 in the day? Who's paying for the cocktails?

Read the thread, all questions are answered there IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Smidge wrote: »
    My children are in a school that is in essence just a bunch of cold, damp perfabs.
    One has been there for his entire primary education, frozen to the bone throughout winter.

Does the thought of this depress you too?

Of course it depresses me, everyone should have a decent standard of facilities available to them.

When I was in school I also spent my time in prefabs, with overflowing toilets, no heating (jumpers, coats and scarves in class)and lack of basic amenities, we never invested any money into building proper schools, so now they must be worse. What should have happened is that the Government should have kept money in reserve by not having give away budgets (increasing welfare, slashing taxes, increments etc etc). Then during a downturn/recession you invest in schools when it is cheaper and also generate jobs for the private sector. This has all been talked about before, it was not done so we are now in this mess. We all need to work together to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

You don't get it do you ?
    I and other private sector workers pay taxes not alone for the services, but also to keep some overinflated salaries going for public sector workers.
    And the level of service delivery is often utter sh**e.

Ah the old line about why didn't we all join up.
    AFAIK we are not a communist state where everyone works for the government.
    BTW notice how well that worked out. :rolleyes:

Trust me on that.

I never said we all had to work for the State, but the option is there, anyway most jobs both public and private have a who you know element to them especially in Ireland. It is all about networking you know :D

Having said that you still need to go to college to become a teacher, nurse, doctor. Do entrance exams to join the emergency services, pass fitness exams to join the Navy/Army. Most other positions within the public sector would require a degree at least or a trade.

Also public sector workers at the bottom of the food chain pay taxes to keep their over inflated bosses in a wage :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Of course it depresses me, everyone should have a decent standard of facilities available to them.

When I was in school I also spent my time in prefabs, with overflowing toilets, no heating (jumpers, coats and scarves in class)and lack of basic amenities, we never invested any money into building proper schools, so now they must be worse. What should have happened is that the Government should have kept money in reserve by not having give away budgets (increasing welfare, slashing taxes, increments etc etc). Then during a downturn/recession you invest in schools when it is cheaper and also generate jobs for the private sector. This has all been talked about before, it was not done so we are now in this mess. We all need to work together to get out of it.

That is the past and we cannot rewind time.

What we can do is that when the most vulnerable in society have been asked to take the "hit", make sure that everyone be held accountable where state money is concerned.
    I find it unconscionable that people are having an almost 5 and a half grand party, paid for through state funds and some people think there is nothing wrong with it.

That would be interesting as the HSE have never brought me out for as much as a drink in the 16 years I have been there.

Whereas any the organisations I have done private work for generally do lots of things like that.

There are reasons why I won't leave the HSE but the wages and the benefits people think I get are certainly not the reason.

Isn't your psychologist pay grade linked to that of a psychiatrist, someone with a medical degree ?
    Surely that is nice enough ?
    That added to the usual sick days that most in the HSe seem to count as annual leave.
    I never said we all had to work for the State, but the option is there, anyway most jobs both public and private have a who you know element to them especially in Ireland. It is all about networking you know :D

Having said that you still need to go to college to become a teacher, nurse, doctor. Do entrance exams to join the emergency services, pass fitness exams to join the Navy/Army.

Ever notice how many sons and now even daughters of defense forces staff end up in the defense forces.
    You also left out how much it also helps to be prominent in the GAA to join defense forces. :rolleyes:

And speaking of doctors, analysing certain specialist areas you will find lots of sons, daughters, neices, nephews are in the same area.
    Likewise with legal profession in the private sector.
    Most other positions within the public sector would require a degree at least or a trade.

What ?
    Pushing paper to each other doesn't require a degree or a trade and there is a hell of a lot of basic admin staff in the public sector.
    Also public sector workers at the bottom of the food chain pay taxes to keep their over inflated bosses in a wage :rolleyes:

No they don't.
    How many times do you need to be told they, for the most part, are only repaying someone elses taxes.
    If I earn 50k and pay 20k tax.
    That is tax from private enterprise I pay in the system.

If a public sector worker earns 50k, that is 50k in the majority of cases taken out of the exchequer.
    If they pay back 20k in tax, then they are still in receipt of 30k from the exchequer, 30k of other peoples tax inputs.

And yes I know public sector actually make some money, but nowhere near enough to cover their costs, the majority of which are labour.

Without a private sector paying taxes, the entire system would crumble.
    Maybe you noticed what affect the collapse of the construction industry has had on tax revenues and I am not even counting stamp duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Practically all public sector jobs go through these people. Certainly all civil service jobs do, though open competitions.

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/

Friend works in Welfare office. He and all staff paid for their party. Bosses bought a couple of drinks. Nothing government funded

Pensioners party should've been cancelled. No real issue with it myself, but it doesn't sit well 2 weeks after budget cuts. Maybe something like a lunch could've subsidised for a couple of hundred quid

Advertisement