Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5335 for the Dept. of Social protection annual retired staff get together

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Spindle wrote: »
    I can't believe the amount of people defending this!

Also something which I haven't seen mentioned is why did they have to give the Catholic church a donation!!!! Not really where I want my money to be going, with the legacy they have left behind.

Because the Church provided a service, the mass for those who died this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

Boombastic wrote: »
    Saddest thing about this is that some people are actually defending it, as if it is grand:rolleyes:

That's because boards is a civil service doss on the job fest.

CIVIL SERVANT ALERT.

And so what if that poster is, what is your point? Are they second rate citizens now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

That's because boards is a civil service doss on the job fest.

Yourself included ? what dept should you be working in now?

Odysseus wrote: »
    Did you work there?

You are something else! The lenghts you are going to justify this disgusting, decadent display of Civil Servive "Up Yours We're Alright Jack!" is sickening in the extreme.

There are hundreds of thousands of emplyed people in this country who do not event get a christmas party as their employers need ever penny they can get to keep the companies solvents and their workers understand as they want to keep their jobs.

Civil Servants make me want to vomit.

• Advertisement

HondaSami wrote: »
    Yourself included ? what dept should you be working in now?

I am looking for a job and typing and sending out CVs.

Would you prefer I stood outside betting shops rubbing scratch cards?

And so what if that poster is, what is your point? Are they second rate citizens now?

OH THE IRONY!

You are something else! The lenghts you are going to justify this disgusting, decadent display of Civil Servive "Up Yours We're Alright Jack!" is sickening in the extreme.

There are hundreds of thousands of emplyed people in this country who do not event get a christmas party as their employers need ever penny they can get to keep the companies solvents and their workers understand as they want to keep their jobs.

Well why should that poster expect to go to that party unless they worked there?

What do you want a bucket? I don't get a party either, my team pay for their own.

Should you not avoid these type of threads if you have a weak stomach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I am looking for a job and typing and sending out CVs.

Would you prefer I stood outside betting shops rubbing scratch cards?

You are just assuming posters on here are civil servants on the doss then?

I really have no opinion on what you should be doing, do what ever makes you happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No problem with a service and a small do for retired people. My local community centre does something similar for retired people in the area at Christmas. It's mostly supported by donations but the venue and staff are provided by public funds. I think it's important to stay in touch with pensioners. For some of them it's the only proper company they have. This is the kind of thing money should be going to in this country. People are acting like these retirees are somehow less important than others because they use to work for the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Because the Church provided a service, the mass for those who died this year.

As a State employer should they not be secular??? What about other faiths?? Why champion a hideous organization that has total lack of regard for the laws of our State with tax payers money?

Again I know it is only 5,000 euros, but it all counts, and it is tax payers money they are spending, I don't want them to spend my tax on rubbish, for people that are squirreling away loads more of my tax money. If they want to spend their own money for this then that is fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think you need to speak to Joe..............

As a State employer should they not be secular??? What about other faiths?? Why champion a hideous organization that has total lack of regard for the laws of our State with tax payers money?

Again I know it is only 5,000 euros, but it all counts, and it is tax payers money they are spending, I don't want them to spend my tax on rubbish, for people that are squirreling away loads more of my tax money. If they want to spend their own money for this then that is fine.

I don't have any time for the Church myself; actually the few times I being in one this year has been for funerals and services like this.

I can't tell them not to hold a service in a church, and to be fair neither can anyone here. Regardless of how I feel about the CC, I am glad of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I can't tell them not to hold a service in a church, and to be fair neither can anyone here. Regardless of how I feel about the CC, I am glad of that.

Yes they can, when it's their taxes that are paying for it

Ring them up so, tell them you don't want to see this happening again. I'm sure they will take heed of your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I never like this public versus private sector debate, it is always a them v us debate. When in fact it should be both private and public working together.

I and probably a lot of other private sector workers still in employment face the facts we may not have a job some day down the road, our pensions have been decimated over last 5/6 years and even then our pensions will in no way be linked to our final retirement salary, we will not get a nice multiple of our salary as a taxfree lump sum on retirement (we might get a watch or photframe if lucky) and we have had pay cuts or pay freezes in order to sustain our employers.
    Yes we got pay rises in the good times, but we get the opposite when times are hard.
    We take that as granted.

On the other hand we see a bunch of people who are often affectively unfirable, no matter how poorly they perform in their jobs, who often get pay increments because they are due them even though their employer is flat broke, who are often entitled to a tax free lump sum on retirement, a defined benefit pension linked to retirement salary and often current encumbent's salary.
    Public sector workers demanded pay rises commensurate with private sector workers during the good times even though they always had the bonuses of better pensions and job security.

Services will be cut and taxes increased to guarantee that the position of the current public sector employees continues.

And yes I know the pensions position has changed for newer members of staff, just like starting salary, etc and I think that will cause tensions within the sector down the road.

So please tell me what I have in common with the public sector workers ?

They are fighting for the right to continue as is even though invariably that will cost me more in taxes and lost public services.
    The public sector need the private as much as the private need the public sector.

People in the public sector do pay taxes and should benefit form the same protections as that as private sector employees.

There is a big difference here.
    For the most part, all of a public sector employees salary is paid for by taxes and the fact they themselves pay taxes on these earnings just means they are repaying some of the taxes back to the exchequer.
    In the vast majority of private sector workers cases their salaries are funded by the sales of their employer.
    And yes I know that employer may be selling to public sector workers as well as sales to other private sector workers or exports to non Irish taxpayers/citizens.

Every taxpayer be it public or private should expect an adequate civil police service for their security, basic education for their children, and availablity of a basic decent health care for their taxes.

The thing is a lot of private sector workers see when they look at the ones who actually work for the state, and thus are also in receipt of tax funded salaries, si that they expect guaranteed pay increments, guaranteed employment, guaranteed defined benefit pensions and quiet often some other perks such as lavish sick leave, unvouched expenses (politicans are public servants), lump sum exit payments.
    One example of this joke is that joan burton wanted private companies to fund sick leave all the while some public servants are the worse offenders at taking ridiculous amounts of sick days.
    The issues are with a few top earners and inefficient management within the public sector. There is also a "this is my job I don't do anything outside of my role attitude" as well that needs to be adjusted.

The salaries given to top public servants would warrant a level of professionalism and responsibility that has been severly lacking.
    Stand up roddy molloy, patrick neary, john hurley, brendan drumm.

The layers of management superfluous to requirements in areas such as HSE is an utter disgrace.
    The attitude "this is my job I don't do anything outside of my role attitude" exists very much at the bottom as can be seen from dealing with hospital porters, technical, reception and admin staff.
    And it is one of the reasons I despise unions who copperfasten it.

This is the point it is tax payers money, we should have a right to object to stupid wastage and spending like this.

I am all for a social welfare state for those that need it most, healthcare education etc etc.

But in this instance it was for a non-essential party, I am sure all invited could have came up with the 20 euro needed if they really wanted to have this get together.

If a company is in trouble going bankrupt all non-essential activities should be cut to save money and expenditure should be gone throw with a fine tooth comb, in an attempt to keep the company as a going concern.

No matter how trivial an expense it matters when your going to the wall, we as a country we are Bankrupt so it all matters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jmayo wrote: »
    our pensions have been decimated over last 5/6 years

I think this boat has sailed.
    My private pension (PRSA) with AIB is up more now than it was at the height of the boom. It has grown by nearly 20% compared to my contributions from 2004-2009.

Are you saying all pensions are down or just using a headline from a paper a few years old?

Ring them up so, tell them you don't want to see this happening again. I'm sure they will take heed of your position.

I have already emailed - I'll post the reply here if I ever get one. Are they answering the phones do you know?

You are right, they won't heed it, - and that's a problem, even if half the country complained they still wouldn't heed it because it's ingrained in the culture and sure it's always been done this way. They seeing nothing wrong with wasting money like this, can't see the problem at all. If fact they considered it appropriate to spend more money this year on the party than they did last year.

Change is whats needed and them heeding peoples complains of incidents and waste like this and adapting to the current climate would be a great first step. But change is not something government depts do well

I have already emailed - I'll post the reply here if I ever get one. Are they answering the phones do you know?

You are right, they won't heed it, - and that's a problem, even if half the country complained they still wouldn't heed it because it's ingrained in the culture and sure it's always been done this way. If fact they considered it appropriate to spend more money this year on the party than they did last year.

Change is whats needed and them heeding peoples complains of incidents and waste like this and adapting to the current climate would be a great first step. But change is not something government depts do well

That is the unelected civil servants for you, in league with a bunch of muppet union leaders, between them they have a nice deal going. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Be fair, how would I know if they are answering their phone. Just becuase I work in one part of the HSE; it doesn't mean I have access to any Gov Depts.

I had to steal a heater from an empty office last week, I can't even get to speak to somebody about getting a heater for my office.

jmayo wrote: »
    So please tell me what I have in common with the public sector workers ?

Apart from the obvious, such as supporting families, paying bills, saving, etc.

You use the same public services that they use.

You pay taxes.

Your entitled to the same basic state benefits on retirement.

You are free to apply apply for jobs in the public sector it is not a closed system.

Your take home pay is/was cut.

Be fair, how would I know if they are answering their phone. Just becuase I work in one part of the HSE; it doesn't mean I have access to any Gov Depts.

I had to steal a heater from an empty office last week, I can't even get to speak to somebody about getting a heater for my office.

I was just asking:p

It doesn't sit well though if even employees can't access someone to communicate with. Aren't we paying savage money for HR?

This is the kind of rubbish that depresses me, there should be no way that you are left to rot in bad facilities and can't get in contact with somebody to get a heater to keep you warm. And if you did get in contact with someone have to go through red-tape and forms just to get something done.

This is why I never like public v private sector debates, as working in either does not mean you are working in dream job where everything is perfect.

Although I can't understand how you can defend frivolous spending on parties when there is not that much money about.

€5335 would buy 133 heaters in DID

Better to let the patients and staff freeze though and fill the old ones up with booze and smoked salmon

The Dept of Social Protection spent €12,880,052,000 in the year to the end of November - about €2,800 per person in the country.

€5,335 for a party in Busáras for former staff won't make any difference.

I would be more annoyed that the event started off with a mass and having to get someone to go back and figure out how much was spent on coat hangers.

The Dept of Social Protection spent €12,880,052,000 in the year to the end of November - about €2,800 per person in the country.

€5,335 for a party in Busáras for former staff won't make any difference.

I would be more annoyed that the event started off with a mass and having to get someone to go back and figure out how much was spent on coat hangers.

Party in Busáras, is this another party they had?

Party in Busáras, is this another party they had?
    The letter in the OP says the party was in held in Aras Mhic Dhiarmada canteen - better known as Busáras (unless there is another Aras Mhic Dhiarmada I am unaware of)

Edit:Busáras

The letter in the OP says the party was in held in Aras Mhic Dhiarmada canteen - better known as Busáras (unless there is another Aras Mhic Dhiarmada I am unaware of)

:D Them and their fancy names, the department of social protection has offices on the upper floor though, .

This is only 1 party over €500 declared in the FOI request. There are more!! This party didn't just cost the €5335. The wages and time of the people organising also have to be taken in to account. The HR person who bought the gifts, the mail room workers...and I would question the amount of money spent on franking the envelopes, seems excessive for postage

With a backlog of 9,000 applicants these staff have more important things to be doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There are people having to drop out of college mid-education and move back home with their families because their grants weren't coming through - grants which were needed to feed them and pay rent. For some of them even a few hundred quid would have kept them going. Even say, 1000 each...that's five people who might never get a college degree now.

Sure hope it was a good fucking party.

Advertisement