Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I like the Dbrand titanium skin. Do they stop the phone sliding? Mine fell off a flat table onto the carpet (luckily) last night.
    Another reason I want to get a case is to raise it slightly off the surface so I can hear the external speaker better.

I'm waiting for mine to come in the post but they are made of vinyl so apparently they make the back much less slippy. That's the main reason I bought one, the phone slides on the slightest slope and a few times I've barely caught it in time.

They are very thin though so I don't think they'll help with your speaker issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I have purchased the dbrand backing (titanium) and I am currently awaiting delivery. But having smashed the back (hence the cover) I am a little wary of doing more damage. Might try out the poetic bumper and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

budhabob wrote: »
    I have purchased the dbrand backing (titanium) and I am currently awaiting delivery. But having smashed the back (hence the cover) I am a little wary of doing more damage. Might try out the poetic bumper and see how I get on.

Just a warning, I've seen some bad reviews about the poetic bumper related to the rubber peeling off.

Some reviews are here but I have seen comments about it on Youtube also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poetic-Borderline-Bumper-Google-Warranty/dp/B00AG0D52O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363094799&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

My dbrand skin arrived and I just stuck it on now. Very easy to apply. Looks good, wish I'd got it before the glass back got covered in scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

EGriff wrote: »
    My dbrand skin arrived and I just stuck it on now. Very easy to apply. Looks good, wish I'd got it before the glass back got covered in scratches.

Mine just arrived. As you said, they are very easy to apply and looks great as well.

• Advertisement

rhonin wrote: »
    Mine just arrived. As you said, they are very easy to apply and looks great as well.

When did you both order? When was it dispatched?

I ordered last Sunday and it was dispatched last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

budhabob wrote: »
    When did you both order? When was it dispatched?

I ordered last Sunday and it was dispatched last Thursday.

I ordered last Monday. It was dispatched on Thursday and arrived today.

Nothing today, maybe tomorrow so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Same here, my arrived today in a nice black envelope, ordered last Monday. Haven't put it on yet as i'm waiting for my bumper arrive.

Reviews aren't great on the poetic bumper so I ended up going for this, bit more expensive, link-ebay, will report back on quality when I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just a warning, I've seen some bad reviews about the poetic bumper related to the rubber peeling off.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poetic-Borderline-Bumper-Google-Warranty/dp/B00AG0D52O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363094799&sr=1-1

Apparently the design flaw with the Poetic bumper has been fixed and they offer free replacements under warranty. I'm going to buy one from Amazon to try it out.

I've also ordered a Dbrand skin for the back and I just received an XtremeGuard screen protector today. My phone will hopefully be as protected as Fort Knox once I'm done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I ordered a green poetic bumper. It dispatched Monday so will get it Thursday hopefully. Wouldn't mind just getting some plastic "screen" protectors for the back as well but had a quick look and they don;t seem to be going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Apparently the design flaw with the Poetic bumper has been fixed and they offer free replacements under warranty. I'm going to buy one from Amazon to try it out.

I've also ordered a Dbrand skin for the back and I just received an XtremeGuard screen protector today. My phone will hopefully be as protected as Fort Knox once I'm done.

Unfortunately it seems even the fixed models have the same problem. Just takes a little longer to happen:
    I got my new case today. I will wait for few weeks to see what happens. If the problem returns I will update this review.

* UPDATE AFTER 3 WEEKS:
    My replacement case does not show any signs of falling apart yet. The first one started splitting just after a week so three weeks is quite encouraging. Seems like Poetic used a stronger glue on their new batch.

* UPDATE AFTER 1 MONTH
    Still going strong. No issues so far. I'd be interested to hear if anyone who ordered their case after 10 January had a faulty one.

* UPDATE AFTER MONTH AND 1 DAY - not so good news.
    Had to take off the case to take out my SIM. As I was putting it back the rubber part covering the power button separated from the plastic. My first lasted 10 days the second just over a month. I really like this case and Poetic but right now I am disappointed. I'll keep it on 3 stars since they have the best customer service I have come across.

* They offered me yet another replacement free of charge. How much longer can this go on?

* UPDATE 27/02/13
    I received my second replacement today and I've put it on straightaway. I am not sure whether my new case is from the very last batch which Poetic say is the "Final Fixed Version". I really like the new coloured cases. I guess I will get one if I am confident that it will last. So I now have 3 cases for the price of one, though two faulty ones. I glued those cases where they were splitting and they are still fit for purpose.
    In the meantime I thought I'd give the Shenit Bumper Case for Google Nexus 4 TPU Cover LG E960 Protector - White/Silver a try. This looks like a very decent replica of the "official" Nexus bumper. I have only seen the official case on pictures so I cannot compare the quality, but it looks identical. However, I still like the Borderline better when it works. It's much better fit. The Shenit actually feels bit bulkier, adds more width to the phone than the Borderline by Poetic. My Shenit was also a bit loose on the volume rocker side and the volume rocker itself appeared bit retracted inside the case and did not have such a nice clicky feel as the power button on the other side of the case. Also the Borderline perfectly covers the phone's chrome edges. The Shenit replica covers the chrome on the sides but the chrome on the top and the bottom phone is visible and to me that does not look very nice. I'll try to upload some photos for comparison later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I'm using the Poetic cover about a month now. No sign of any peeling. More recent review updates from people that returned problem ones and got sent replacements indicate that later batches have solved the peeling issues. I would recommend it. Far cheaper than the OEM one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Anyone bought an MHL cable to mirror your Nexus to a TV? Any good?

I've seen this

and this

groom wrote: »
    Anyone bought an MHL cable to mirror your Nexus to a TV? Any good?

I've seen this

and this

I would wait and see if a wireless dongle using in-built Miracast in Android 4.2 will do the trick: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/hands-on-netgear-push2tv-for-miracast-and-widi-2013019/

Wireless streaming to your TV from your Nexus 4 = win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

groom wrote: »
    I'm using the Poetic cover about a month now. No sign of any peeling. More recent review updates from people that returned problem ones and got sent replacements indicate that later batches have solved the peeling issues. I would recommend it. Far cheaper than the OEM one.

I also have the poetic bumper for about a month, no sign of peeling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Got my Nexus and its lovely looking, very happy. Managed to root it too. Yet to get any benefits from that. Can't even find adfree/adblock!

But my play store is still in GBP. I know others on here had that problem and fixed it by changing the credit card details back to IE. I have removed the parcel motel address. Removed my CC and put it back in. I have waited all day, still nothing. Every thing in my google account says Ireland. Except the language, which is English. What am I missing? :S

And also, a bigger deal, my micro sim that works perfect in my Lumia 800 isn't recognised by my N4. Guess I'll just have to go get a new sim from Meteor, and hope that sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Got my Nexus and its lovely looking, very happy. Managed to root it too. Yet to get any benefits from that. Can't even find adfree/adblock!

But my play store is still in GBP. I know others on here had that problem and fixed it by changing the credit card details back to IE. I have removed the parcel motel address. Removed my CC and put it back in. I have waited all day, still nothing. Every thing in my google account says Ireland. Except the language, which is English. What am I missing? :S

And also, a bigger deal, my micro sim that works perfect in my Lumia 800 isn't recognised by my N4. Guess I'll just have to go get a new sim from Meteor, and hope that sorts it.
    Mine is rooted and I'm using adaway from the play store.

iggy wrote: »
    Mine is rooted and I'm using adaway from the play store.

Only thing that comes up when I search the play store for 'adaway' is Tennessee Radar. :s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Only thing that comes up when I search the play store for 'adaway' is Tennessee Radar. :s

Looks like Google have removed all the adblockers from the playstore.

• Advertisement

iggy wrote: »

Looks like Google have removed all the adblockers from the playstore.

Ah that explains that. Thought I was missing something. I'm sure there will be a work around soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Ah that explains that. Thought I was missing something. I'm sure there will be a work around soon.

there already is. Just because an app isn't available on the play store doesn't mean you can't use it. Just download it from XDA forums or similar and sideload it.

EDIT: Link here

keith16 wrote: »
    there already is. Just because an app isn't available on the play store doesn't mean you can't use it. Just download it from XDA forums or similar and sideload it.

EDIT: Link here

Got that working.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Howdy lads, have the phone a week now but need accessories. Where is best place to get stuff like car chargers, charging stands etc? DX don't seem to cater much for Nexus 4 per se, or is it going by another name on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry if asked already but does anyone else find the ringtone/sms notifcation sounds very low, even turned up to full volume?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sorry if asked already but does anyone else find the ringtone/sms notifcation sounds very low, even turned up to full volume?

The speaker is on the back so if you have it sitting on a flat surface facing up then all the sounds get muffled. Its pretty crap design really but there you have it.

sheehy83 wrote: »

I rooted my Nexus 4, installed a custom kernel and then patched it using the Beats+XLouder mod on XDA forums as shown here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2025486. Made a massive improvement to the volume output, not just music but also ringtones and notifications.

I also got a Poetic bumper from Amazon and the lip raises up the back of the phone when you lay it flat so the sound isn't so muffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I would wait and see if a wireless dongle using in-built Miracast in Android 4.2 will do the trick: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/hands-on-netgear-push2tv-for-miracast-and-widi-2013019/

Wireless streaming to your TV from your Nexus 4 = win.

I wonder if either of these would work with the Sky Sports TV app. I don't think the app is technically supported on the N4 but sideloading might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Howdy lads, have the phone a week now but need accessories. Where is best place to get stuff like car chargers, charging stands etc? DX don't seem to cater much for Nexus 4 per se, or is it going by another name on there?

Also, anyone recommend any decent cases/screen covers? I do not want to find a scratch on that screen after a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

do tell Harney wft are u on about ? I have nexus 4 + 7 and just acquired a RPi anything that gets them chatting is newsworthy to me

Advertisement