Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

lord lucan wrote: »
    It took exactly 1 week to arrive.

Cheers. Just ordered there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but...

... if you have a Nexus 4 and download 'Box' from the play store you get 50GB of cloud storage.

Pretty cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Does anyone elses wifi connection at home seem to be really slow on this phone? not really impressed so far with it..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

celticsfan wrote: »
    Does anyone elses wifi connection at home seem to be really slow on this phone? not really impressed so far with it..:(
    It's fine on my phone. Are there any other devices connected to the wifi? Are they experiencing any speed issues? Have you rooted the phone and flashed any ROM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

HTML5! wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but...

... if you have a Nexus 4 and download 'Box' from the play store you get 50GB of cloud storage.

Pretty cool. :)

hmm...says 5GB on the app?

• Advertisement

rhonin wrote: »
    It's fine on my phone. Are there any other devices connected to the wifi? Are they experiencing any speed issues? Have you rooted the phone and flashed any ROM?

Nope all stock,just have it over 3 weeks,but downloading large files from email is very slow..from looking at google it seems alot of people have this issue.. the only other device on the wifi is the house pc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

celticsfan wrote: »

No problem here over WiFi
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/389326843.png

389326843.png

I'm also streaming some video on the same WiFi network so not getting as high as normal

389326843.png

I'm also streaming some video on the same WiFi network so not getting as high as normal

Ok thanks guys, I dont know,maybe its a 4.2 issue... but more than likely its probably eircoms crap service and no doubt a new router is due as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

389326843.png

Mine does be a little slow also not sure what it is... Battery sux too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm on 4.2.2. Is there a valid reason why you are not on latest version?

• Advertisement

I'm on 4.2.2. Is there a valid reason why you are not on latest version?

No,im on 4.2.2, i just forgot to type an extra 2 in my previous post:D

Just got the wifi issue sorted,if anyone having the same problem,try changing the channel on your router..simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 My Back Pages

Is anyone else finding the phone doing odd things when left charging overnight?

Mine has been charging to 100% and then dropping down throughout the night after that point (waking up to 60% battery sometimes). But the battery settings screen is showing "charging' for the whole time

Have tried different cables, and the issue isn't happening on my nexus 7 with the same cables

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a new Android Humble Bundle out http://www.humblebundle.com/. Six games for just over €5 or so. They have a decent app now too for updating and managing your Humble Bundle android games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

If anyone can't afford or obtain the charging orb, I suggest this charging dock. It's very attractive and has an attachment so you can put in your phone if it has a case too. Mate in work gave me his but it's only £15 off Amazon. I was thinking of getting another one to mount in my car or remove the USB part altogether as a dock :)

51WOaiX1bLL._SL500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoneBoy-Case-Mate-Desktop-Charging-Compatible/dp/B00AJW15PI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362762638&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

This item can't be shipped to Ireland is what I'm getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

advertsfox wrote: »
    If anyone can't afford or obtain the charging orb, I suggest this charging dock. It's very attractive and has an attachment so you can put in your phone if it has a case too. Mate in work gave me his but it's only £15 off Amazon. I was thinking of getting another one to mount in my car or remove the USB part altogether as a dock :)

51WOaiX1bLL._SL500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoneBoy-Case-Mate-Desktop-Charging-Compatible/dp/B00AJW15PI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362762638&sr=1-1

Hi guys,

I've ordered one of the above along with one of these for the car off Amazon. Same seller: Giraffe Distribution

m_934709685116-500x500.png

I used my Parcel Motel shipping address. They were shipped last week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

iggy wrote: »
    This item can't be shipped to Ireland is what I'm getting.

Parcel Motel will take care of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

KevIRL wrote: »
    Parcel Motel will take care of this

Cheers
    I just ordered one. Will be handy to charge beside my bed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

anyone else getting huge cpu usage from the facebook app?
    or problems with delayed notifications?

my n4 is fine, but my brothers has both of these issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

MiCr0 wrote: »
    anyone else getting huge cpu usage from the facebook app?
    or problems with delayed notifications?

my n4 is fine, but my brothers has both of these issues

Facebook app has always been a bit off on Android IMO, it seems to be because the site updates the code so often they don't consult the app developers to let them know...

And it constantly send/receives data...

I just use browser and view from there:

m.Facebook.com

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

The facebook app is awful and facebook in general is awful. They're more concerned with clever hacks than actually building anything stable. Just look at what they had to do to get the app working on old versions of android.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/under-the-hood-dalvik-patch-for-facebook-for-android/10151345597798920

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Did anyone pick up the official Bumper? It seems to be consistently out of stock on google play. Has anyone found one elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

budhabob wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up the official Bumper? It seems to be consistently out of stock on google play. Has anyone found one elsewhere?

I went for the poetic bumper. Has anyone else here plumped for that?

The official one was really expensive and forever out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

budhabob wrote: »

Didn't manage to pick up the official bumper but got one of these poetic borderline bumpers
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AG0D52O/ref=mw_dp_img?is=l

Happy enough after 1 weeks use I'm using a front and back screen protectors as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can anyone tell me if you can change the background for SMS messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I have my N4 about 2 weeks now. I really need to get a case.

I'm considering the Rearth Fusion
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-Google-Selling-Premium-Package/dp/B00B7QGT6U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've heard the 'clear' back is a little cloudy on them though.

or this carbon fibre case:
    http://www.bodyguardz.com/armor-carbon-fiber-google-nexus-4.html?dir=asc&order=sort_priority

Any opinions on either?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I would just get a back cover or skin like the dbrand ones (waiting for mine in the post). I've had my N4 for nearly 3 months and its fine without a case except for the back glass. Mine has tiny scratches but the phone is spotless otherwise and the phone is too nice to put in an ugly case IMO.

Although my HTC Desire was nearly spotless too after 3 years caseless use so YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you can change the background for SMS messages?

if you download handsent sms from the play store you can customize it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

EGriff wrote: »
    I would just get a back cover or skin like the dbrand ones (waiting for mine in the post). I've had my N4 for nearly 3 months and its fine without a case except for the back glass. Mine has tiny scratches but the phone is spotless otherwise and the phone is too nice to put in an ugly case IMO.

Although my HTC Desire was nearly spotless too after 3 years caseless use so YMMV.

I like the Dbrand titanium skin. Do they stop the phone sliding? Mine fell off a flat table onto the carpet (luckily) last night.
    Another reason I want to get a case is to raise it slightly off the surface so I can hear the external speaker better.

Advertisement