Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Not showing for me too!

Something's afoot! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

What rom are people on these days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This post has been deleted.

Been gone for me all day today,along with most other stuff(sports,time to work etc.). Turned it off and on,reset it and rebooted the phone,all to no avail. Everything else has started to reappear in the last couple of hours but weather is still MIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I don't know why either. But I do find it amusing that you always seem to be in the same phone thread as me... Nokia 5800 - ZTE Blade - Nexus 4.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just dropped my N4 for the first time there, she went face down on a tiled bathroom floor, my heart went into it's mouth as I turned it over to inspect the damage, and its fine, not a mark or scuff....

Thank the lord for the armourdillo case now, seemed to do it's work!

I noticed a rather sizeable dent on the chrome syrrounding the screen the other day. But I have literally no idea how it happened. :( I haven't dropped it and I don't put it in my pocket with keys or anything. The only thing I can think of is that I place it beside a heavy enough glass coaster on my desk when it's charging and maybe I hit it off the coaster without realising. Other than that I am at a complete loss to understand how it happened.

Thankfully, it doesn't really affect the phone.. I've ordered the official bumper to be on the safe side and it should cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Nasty....

You probably should invest in a good cover for the phone, I'm not so sold on bumpers for phones, I don't think it offers enough adequate protection for the face down drop....

Seidio Active Case looks to me one of the nicest full cover protection, seem rare as a hens teeth in Europe at the moment though....

The armourdillo one I have is relatively decent, the lip I didn't think was big enough but today seemed to prove me wrong... (for now!)

My only gripe is a wee bit too big for cradles and car docks...

Pity Otterbox have not made an N4 cover yet...

On a related note my car keys dropped on the front face of my N4 last night and didn't scratch either, couldn't believe it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

God I hate cases on phones. Its like buying new trainers and wearing them with plastic bags over them so they don't get dirty.

I understand a temporary case if your working on a site or going camping, but they ruin the aesthetics of the phone for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Cyrus wrote: »
    What rom are people on these days
    CyanogenMod 10.1-M3 was just released, flawless ROM. The new Pie Controls are integrated, nice addition for that extra real estate.

http://get.cm/?device=mako

Don't forget your Gapps - http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip

• Advertisement

Is there a dock for the N4 like with the official Samsung one with old Nexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

celticsfan wrote: »
    this is the one im gonna get http://tinyurl.com/d35rafe there is also a couple of reviews on youtube..who has use for cd's in their cards these days anyway:D http://tinyurl.com/cja5rgu

i ordered this on the 9th and received it in the post today,nice and handy for my nexus 4 and fits into the cd tray no bother,just tighten the screw and your on your way then...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I'm picking up the Nexus 4 this weekend when over in London to see the bro.

I've a question about that charger. I noticed on the UK play store that they can be now purchased separately, does this mean that they do not come with one?

And a kinda follow on question, i have a Nexus 7, would the charger supplied with that (purchased in Argos) work as a charger for the Nexus 4 if it does not come with one?

Thanks in advance

I'm picking up the Nexus 4 this weekend when over in London to see the bro.

I've a question about that charger. I noticed on the UK play store that they can be now purchased separately, does this mean that they do not come with one?

And a kinda follow on question, i have a Nexus 7, would the charger supplied with that (purchased in Argos) work as a charger for the Nexus 4 if it does not come with one?

Thanks in advance

Yes it comes with a charger and I would assume that you could probably use the same charger with both Nexus devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How is battery life at the times it's hot?
    I've only once noticed mine getting hot and it was rapidly draining the battery.
    Checking which apps were draining the battery identified Google calendar, looked like it was caught in an endless sync loop. I cleared the cache on it and rebooted. Was back to norm a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

For anyone interested in a wireless charger I just bought this one. Its a cheap chinese job but opinions here and here seem mostly positive

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭useeme

Anyone using a Nexus 4 on the three network for data in the Dublin area?. If so are you getting a 3G service?. What are your APN settings?

Anyone using a Nexus 4 on the three network for data in the Dublin area?. If so are you getting a 3G service?. What are your APN settings?

Yeah I am... works fine. Just clicked on the APN menu and it just says 3ireland.ie

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I have found it holds on to (and gets back on to after dropping off) the three H signal if I first do a network search, select the top 3 from the list and then select 'set default'

as for setting of the APN I have the following:

Name: 3

APN: 3ireland.ie

Proxy: not set

Port: not set

Password: not set

MMSC http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc

MMS Proxy: mms.3ireland.ie

MMS Port: 8799

MCC: 272

Mnc: 05

Authentication type: not set

APN type: default,supl,mms

APN protocol: ipv4

APN roaming protocol: ipv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: unspecified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Is anyone having a problem with their phone not charging properly with a charger other than the one that came with it.

I've a generic micro usb cable and it flips between charging and not charging when connected to my computer.

The cable works fine with other phones. Just can't get a steady charge with the N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Is anyone having a problem with their phone not charging properly with a charger other than the one that came with it.

I've a generic micro usb cable and it flips between charging and not charging when connected to my computer.

The cable works fine with other phones. Just can't get a steady charge with the N4.

Similar happening to me. I have a samsung charger & when I connect it to the nexus it goes to battery full straight away. The same charger worked fine with a Huawei phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

It works with my old samsung galaxy charger but it does say in the box not to charge it with any charger other than the one supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've been using mine with my kindle charger, various computers, external battery pack, $2 deal extreme chargers, all have been fine. As varied a selection of cables too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

TPD wrote: »
    I've been using mine with my kindle charger, various computers, external battery pack, $2 deal extreme chargers, all have been fine. As varied a selection of cables too.

I was using my kindle charger first and I was having problems so thought it was just the charger. Tried then with the cable from my car charger and got the same issues.

What's weird though is the cable in my car works fine in my car but when connected to a usb port I have problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Im using an old Nokia micro USB at the desk in work and at home randomly select the nearest micro USB charger (could be any of a half dozen including N4, N7, N10) and havent had any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anyone know how much damage to the battery 'live wallpapers' do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much damage to the battery 'live wallpapers' do?

Suppose it depends on the wallpaper in question. Like does it updates from the net.. Just for reference I am using the live one that came default on the phone and I'm seeing a max of 2% per hour (1% if I turn it off) a hell of a lot better than the same one running on the S3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

god's toy wrote: »
    Suppose it depends on the wallpaper in question. Like does it updates from the net.. Just for reference I am using the live one that came default on the phone and I'm seeing a max of 2% per hour (1% if I turn it off) a hell of a lot better than the same one running on the S3.

Yeah it's one of the ones that come on it.

Advertisement