Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I've left a detail out of the story because it's so unbelievable that if I included it you would dismiss the whole thing as a work fiction.

come on..don't leave us hanging

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Ok, but you're going to think I'm taking the piff.

The dog who was out in front is a collie mix and an uncertifed genius. She's 12 and a half now and she still does things that amaze me. I could bore you all night with implausible tales of her feats of intelligence. She had a very bad start in life though and that, combined with her brains, has made her very odd. People always remark that she seems to look at them very intensely and they don't always mean it as a compliment. She's working things out all the time.

So, one of the useful things I teach the dogs is 'back, back, back.' It means "Come back and walk along quietly behind me, no dashing forward." If I say it in a whisper it means all that and also, "I'm not messing, this is not a drill, we have to be careful and quiet."

The minute she spotted the stranger in the woods she took a step back and checked to make sure I was doing the same. She often did this, sometimes if she saw a fern blowing in the wind in a way she found unacceptable she'd try to back me away from it.

This time though, and I swear I'm not making this up, she gave three sharp hissed breaths. She's a talker; she barks, she'll yowl at me if she's feeling under-appreciated, she makes funny chattery noises when she's glad to see me, she blows raspberries at me in the mornings. She has never made this breathy sound before or since. I'm completely convinced she was saying 'Back, back, back' in a whisper as clearly as she could.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

My wife is from Central America, she grew up on a farm. They kept the horses in a compound across from their house, you had to cross some open fields to get access. One morning they arrived to let out the horses to find the manes of some of the horses had been intricately woven, a bit like a young girl might have done to her hair. They had no clue as to how that might happen as anybody crossing the fields at night would stir the dogs. They found it amusing the first day but then it happened so often after that they became tired of it, especally as it took a lot of work to undo the patterns. She or the family had no clue as to what was going on. It couldnt be a monkey or any type of animal as the patterns woven were too complex. They couldnt figure out how anybody could access the area where the horses were kept, not that anybody would want to cross fileds there at night anyway (loads of nasty snakes there). Eventually it stopped and they never figured it out

RE:beveragelady - maybe it was some homeless guy or crusty living in the woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

That dog sounds amazing (no sarcasm!)

Great post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The dog who was out in front is a collie mix and an uncertifed genius. She's 12 and a half now and she still does things that amaze me. I could bore you all night with implausible tales of her feats of intelligence. She had a very bad start in life though and that, combined with her brains, has made her very odd. People always remark that she seems to look at them very intensely and they don't always mean it as a compliment. She's working things out all the time.

So, one of the useful things I teach the dogs is 'back, back, back.' It means "Come back and walk along quietly behind me, no dashing forward." If I say it in a whisper it means all that and also, "I'm not messing, this is not a drill, we have to be careful and quiet."

The minute she spotted the stranger in the woods she took a step back and checked to make sure I was doing the same. She often did this, sometimes if she saw a fern blowing in the wind in a way she found unacceptable she'd try to back me away from it.

This time though, and I swear I'm not making this up, she gave three sharp hissed breaths. She's a talker; she barks, she'll yowl at me if she's feeling under-appreciated, she makes funny chattery noises when she's glad to see me, she blows raspberries at me in the mornings. She has never made this breathy sound before or since. I'm completely convinced she was saying 'Back, back, back' in a whisper as clearly as she could.

I had a collie, an uncanny one, and can well believe this.

fryup wrote: »
    RE:beveragelady - maybe it was some homeless guy or crusty living in the woods?

I was in those woods every single night, I would definitely have known if they were inhabited. This did not take place in an area popular with crusties or the homeless. And even so, it doesn't explain why he was standing out there in the rain with his hands over his face...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's not supernatural or aliens or anything, it's dog-related.

Have you been back to the woods since at night? Fair play if so. Have you seen the man again?

Have you been back to the woods since at night? Fair play if so. Have you seen the man again?

I went there the following day to visit the spot by daylight. There was a trampled spot where he had been standing but nothing else. I continued to go there every night until I moved away from the area. Now I haunt different woods. They're not as nice but I never ever meet anybody.

Sometimes for a treat I'll drive back to those woods and follow my track in the dark. I know it so well I can still do most of it without a torch. It is almost completely overgrown now, which makes me think I really was the only person who used that particular route. Then the woods took a hammering from Ophelia and fallen trees have made it completely impassible in places so I have to invent detours through the undergrowth.

If you have never tried it, you should. Take a walk at night, turn off your torch and stand for a while until your eyes adjust. Then start walking.

I like night walking but if it was me, there is no way I'd have returned to the same place I'd had to run from a creepy man inthe dark. Have to agree with the liathroidi commenf!

• Advertisement

I went there the following day to visit the spot by daylight. There was a trampled spot where he had been standing but nothing else. I continued to go there every night until I moved away from the area. Now I haunt different woods. They're not as nice but I never ever meet anybody.

Sometimes for a treat I'll drive back to those woods and follow my track in the dark. I know it so well I can still do most of it without a torch. It is almost completely overgrown now, which makes me think I really was the only person who used that particular route. Then the woods took a hammering from Ophelia and fallen trees have made it completely impassible in places so I have to invent detours through the undergrowth.

If you have never tried it, you should. Take a walk at night, turn off your torch and stand for a while until your eyes adjust. Then start walking.

Nah, you're good. Something about woods at night give me the creeps. No bother by day.

the woods took a hammering from Ophelia and fallen trees have made it completely impassible in places so I have to invent detours through the undergrowth.

ya sure, i will

tenor.gif

I like night walking but if it was me, there is no way I'd have returned to the same place I'd had to run from a creepy man inthe dark. Have to agree with the liathroidi commenf!

I was a timorous child, afraid of dogs and the dark and things that could never possibly happen. I don't know what changed but gradually my outlook altered. I have a stubborn streak and now I refuse to have 'fears.' That doesn't mean I'm never afraid and it doesn't mean I'm not cautious, it just means I don't ever get to say "I'm not doing that because I'm afraid." Sometimes I might say "I'm not doing that because there is a clear risk," but that's not the same thing.

Bono tells us "If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it."

An unpleasant side to this is that I have developed a contempt for people who let their silly fears limit their lives.

My mother died when I was 20 in January 1997. Father died when I was a baby. My one sister had a job in Sligo or somewhere. I was home alone. My 21st birthday was coming up and despite the recent death of my mother I wanted to mark my 21st with some sort of a party.

I had though that having it in the house might not be respectful considering some of my freinds were a bit messy at times. What else could I do?

So it was a week or 2 to go and I still wasn't sure. I was on the phone in my mother's bedroom to a sensible college friend. He seemed suprised that I would consider a party in the house given her recent death. I thought maybe he was right but sure "it would be grand" and put down the phone.

At that moment a sewing machine in her room started to turn. "Ker clunk, ker clunk, ker clunk". It was a 1950's Singer with an table and foot tredal driving a big wheel.
    I went over and stopped it, and said "OK I won't". It didn't move by itself again.

I think it was my mother because of the situation and because her death cert. was on the sewing machine.

She never tried to communicate to me again that I noticed. While I missed her terribly for a very long time I concluded it was better that someone be gone fully and not semi-there and advising from time to time.

In the end I had the party in my best friend's house and it was great fun.

The sewing machine was never my mother's it was given to my sister by a neighbour and my sister used it for a while. I think my mother wanted to tell me something and it was the handiest thing available to her!
    I know it happend for real because of the phone call. I know it wasn't a case of the sewing machine just rocking after I got up and disturbed the floor because it went "round and round" not just oscillating for a second.

That was my one and only experience worthy of reporting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭saabsaab

gozunda wrote: »
    Why would room 325 be in between 218 and 319?

A mystery? In between floors?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

While theres nothing paranormal or ghoulish about your story I do believe you are a very lucky lady and had you (and your dogs) not been so alert I dont believe you would alive today.

That guy meant you harm. He knew your movements. He knew you were coming along that track. He was crouched down by the track in order to pounce on you as you passed. He covered his face so that he couldn't be recognised again or even worse he was known to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don't believe in anything supernatural but this encounter gives me the shivers when I think about it.
    Super creepy. Why would he be hiding his face like that?
    But if it was someone you knew waiting to ambush you like the poster above says, why would they ambush someone who they know will have two dogs with them. Even small dogs can go wild when their owner is attacked.
    Could the creepy man have escaped from prison, mental home or something maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

When I was very young I was in this warm comfortable place and everything was honky dory.

Suddenly I was forced against my will out of that place. What the hell was that all about ?

Nobody asked me . Then they turned me upside down and slapped my ar$e.

Ok, I whinge about it now and again but I think I have grounds for being a bit bolshy about the whole thing !

They say any nurses who have been working in old hospitals especially night shift, for a few years will have at least one story about strange goings on. Very common in those old places apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I took the advice and blocked him. This is my second time blocking his number so if he finds another way to contact me, ill go to the guards.

Blocking/ghosting a person simply because you’ve lost intrest in them And said meh, is what’s wrong with modern dating. Its disgusting behaviour tbh. If you’d gone the right/decent way about it in the first place and told him he’s not for you etc then maybe block him if he persisted. Now, there’s no doubt the guy is a fruit loop, but you didn’t know that originally.

• Advertisement

They say any nurses who have been working in old hospitals especially night shift, for a few years will have at least one story about strange goings on. Very common in those old places apparently.

I heard of a story where in unit A the phone would ring at the same time during the night and the location would say Unit B lift phone, which apparently hasn't worked in a long time.

Worked a summer job as a student night shift in a hospital years ago. One night about 2.30 am when all were supposed to be asleep, I heard the sound of someone running fast down a corridor. This was very odd as the patients were mainly incapacitated or very elderly.

I left the room I was in off that corridor and looked down the passageway but saw no one there!

I would have been thinking about a paranormal explanation but I nurse later told me that some teenagers used to climb up on the flat roof and run across it for kicks!

eviltwin wrote: »
    We've had people quit over being spooked, nothing specific just a feeling that the place is off, lots of weird anomolies on CCTV, people hearing knocks, doors opening on their own, things falling over...

Some of the people working in the shops nearby bless themselves when you tell there where you work which is a bit disconcerting.

Personally I've heard children laughing, heard music and footsteps thinking it was someone messing but there's been nothing on the cameras. Felt what felt like a finger running across my neck and no one there.

The worst is some of the young children who say they've seen people who aren't there. I'd be the first to say its messing but these are young children. I don't believe in ghosts and I'm the first to look for a logical explanation but some of these I can't explain.

You should research the building; find out has anyone died there in a fire, murder, suicide etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I heard the banshee seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I heard the banshee seriously...

Oh, she wasn't joking about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My sister is a nurse. She's told me some interesting stories about patients of hers acting strange. She was alone in a room one day with a man and he began saying things like ''why now'', ''can I not stay longer''? ''I can stay here longer''

What freaked her out was that he wasn't speaking to her, he was looking over at the other side of the room as if he were addressing another person standing there.

He died unexpectedly later that afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Blocking/ghosting a person simply because you’ve lost intrest in them And said meh, is what’s wrong with modern dating. Its disgusting behaviour tbh. If you’d gone the right/decent way about it in the first place and told him he’s not for you etc then maybe block him if he persisted. Now, there’s no doubt the guy is a fruit loop, but you didn’t know that originally.

But.. we wearnt dating. Youre entitled to your opinion but I dont owe him anything.

My sister is a nurse. She's told me some interesting stories about patients of hers acting strange. She was alone in a room one day with a man and he began saying things like ''why now'', ''can I not stay longer''? ''I can stay here longer''

What freaked her out was that he wasn't speaking to her, he was looking over at the other side of the room as if he were addressing another person standing there.

He died unexpectedly later that afternoon.

That seems to happen regularly when someone is dying. They often talk about going on a journey or talking to someone dead as if they visited them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

saabsaab wrote: »
    That seems to happen regularly when someone is dying. They often talk about going on a journey or talking to someone dead as if they visited them.

Reminds me of when my grandad died, in the weeks and days before he died, at night he kept calling to his brother like he was in the room, who had passed years before he did.

• Advertisement

My grandmother could smell her brother's cologne lingering in her spare room for years after he died.
    And I've smelled her own perfume around me since she died.
    Many things I'd only admit to half jokingly, but not this one.

May I ask the poster who heard the bean sidhe, is your family name a "Mac", or an "O"?

Must say it puzzles me why we only count the patrilineal line in our traditions here.

Advertisement