Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - RDS - 15th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Not Now John

Seems like the younger drunken arsehole types were back near the back, as the bars were nearer the back. Up front was older crowd, and people much more into the gig.

Yes, I wish I'd been up there now.

I couldn't connect to the concert because of the sound and the crowd.

The louts beside us were well old enough to know better, they were truly obnoxious people, probably in their late 20s / early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I thought it was a great gig but then again I was near the front so I didn't have any problems with the sound. I had no problems with the setlist either as I had already looked up the setlists for the other dates of the tour and knew what to expect. The only thing I didn't like was the extended outro to Walk Like A Giant. I like noise and feedback but I think it went on for far too long. The RDS doesn't seem like a good venue at all though and it just reinforces my preference towards indoor gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Golem

Not playing any classics? What the heck are Cinnamon Girl, Powderfinger, Cortez and Hey Hey My My?

Feel a bit of sympathy for the folk deceived by the radio ads but I doubt NY would have had much input in that. I'd be blaming Aiken. Still though, never understood the logic of paying a lot of money for a concert and not checking out the band's most recent album. Walk Like A Giant was class.

The extended outro was a tad long yes (yet was superior to the ending of the album track) but at the same time it serves all the people talking during songs right. Ridiculous stuff altogether, really soured Cortez The Killer for me. Should be some sort of sniper at gigs to take care of idiots having massive conversations during songs (singing along is grand).

The sound was fine near the front, one of the few concerts where I could make out the singer's lyrics crystal clear. Walk Like A Giant, Love and Only Love, Psychedelic Pill, ****in Up and Hey Hey were highlights. Shame about the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I was about 10 yards back from the stage and loved every minute of it. Sound was crystal clear, and the band were really on form. If the sound for the folks further back was poor then I can understand the complaints, but people complaining about the setlist and the long guitar solos I cannot understand. If you are spending 80 quid + on a ticket, at least do some research into what to expect before buying. Neil Young solo is a completely different show to Neil Young & Crazy Horse - listen back to Weld or any of the other live releases with the Horse and you'd see that most of what they play is long, extended guitar parts.

Neil Young is not a nostalgia act - if you want a greatest hits tour, go and see Rod Stewart or the Stones. Neil is still releasing (terrific) new albums and I was personally delighted to hear Walk Like A Giant and Ramada Hotel, both of which are up there with any classic Crazy Horse jams. I thought it was a great gig, couldnt have enjoyed it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

Neil Young and Crazy Horse were appaling last night. Self indulgent jamming, tortuous stuff at the end of Walk like a giant that was an insult to the crowd. I hope he heard the slow hand clap and booing. People should be given their money back. Support acts Little Green Cars and the Waterboys were excellent. I will never go to another NY gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Didn't go to the gig - stopped listening when Chrome Dreams II came out - but am getting mixed reviews from friends.

One particularly pretentious one on my Facebook feed

"It was pleasing to observe how alienated and annoyed a portion of the seated folks were. The sighs of relief when he played Comes A time were very amusing."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I would encourage everybody who had a bad experience as a result of the venue, stage & sound or promoter to contact Aiken via email or phone.

let them know it's unacceptable.

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/contact-aiken-promotions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Rock and roll wouldn't be what it is without self-indulgence. People just don't understand :(

Neil Young and Crazy Horse were appaling last night. Self indulgent jamming, tortuous stuff at the end of Walk like a giant that was an insult to the crowd. I hope he heard the slow hand clap and booing. People should be given their money back. Support acts Little Green Cars and the Waterboys were excellent. I will never go to another NY gig.

To be honest, if you dont like self indulgent jamming then you really shouldnt be buying a ticket for a Crazy Horse gig. They've been playing long self-indulgent guitar jams since 1970, they arent going to change their approach now. People should be given their money back for what exactly? Sure, the feedback section at the end of Walk Like a Giant went on a bit, but I cant really see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over it. This is Neil Young we're talking about, who has been doing exactly what he wants since 1967.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Well Young is my fave artist and I have been a fan since my school days. I was aware of the playlists and had bought the latest album. I have also seen Young with Crazy Horse twice before including an outdoor gig. So I knew what to expect. Or at least I thought I did! It pains me to say it but I agree with many of the negative comments. Most of which are probably the fault of the promotion company. From the start it wasn't a great idea playing the same weekend as Williams and Bon Jovi. If at all possible the date should have been given more consideration. On the night the atmosphere was awful as was the sound. I wasn't in the stands so I could at least see the band. There were some great moments but overall it was very poor.

By the way I don't agree that Young and
    Crazy Horse can't produce the goods outdoors (although indoors does suit their playing style best). I saw them as recently as 2009 in Hyde Park London and they were as always (up to now!) out of this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

We were standing, up at the front, and I thought it was excellent. Just what I wanted from a Crazy Horse set, glad there was only a couple of acoustic numbers, woud have preferred more Crazy Horse myself. Very glad I saw them, loved the feedback at the end of Walk Like A Giant that and F@ckin Up were my highlights. The band looked like they were loving it too.

Only issues we had with sound was with the Los Lobos set, which was not loud enough, and they had power problems effecting the keyboard throughout.

Would have prefered the O2, but I don't mind the RDS, personally speaking its easy for us to get to and a pints/tea/food in Bewleys Hotel afterwards is always good for discussing the gig. We got there early enough and didn't have to queue when we went for food. Beer queues werent bad but we stopped drinking during Los Lobos.

Clearly quite a few people that went would have had a better time staying at home with a couple of six packs and a greatest hits collection or heading out to Slaine instead. It's not the bands responsibility to please everyone, but it is their responsibilty to deliver a show in line with what they have been doing together for 30 odd years, which is exactly what they did last night. If people don't know what they're buying its their own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

kingsriver64 does make a good point, but I think stankratz's point below is worth bringing to the debate:

If you believe you're touring a good show then sell it on it's own merits, don't mislead people with the advertising and then blame them later for being misled.

I relent a little in fairness. I don't recall the ads but accept not everyone is Internet savvy or has the time or inclination to check what's what. But, I do think "with Crazyhorse" was pretty clear in the paper adverts and if you're a fan, you're a fan, and you should know what to expect.

I'd have more pity on people in seats subjected to poor sound quality/viewing aspect etc than I would for people turning up expecting "Southern Man" and "damage done" etc

I still think it was a "good" gig. Nothing more, but it wasn't "awful" and for those who thought it terrible, if you're a "fan", then why not move up to the stage area where the atmosphere is at most gigs?

There was nothing stopping you getting out of your seat as it was free movement of people onto the "pitch".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Comes a Time

Powderfinger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

My complaints about yesterday are about the production.. The stage was a disgrace, as somebody said it was a bit of scaffold and a few bin liners. Cheap, insulting to artist and audience, penny-pinching once again by the promoters. Not the fault of the band.
    well that's debatable.

the band/management chose the promoters, so they knew what they were getting given Aiken's limited access to venues.
    the band/management/crew is responsible for the stage set-up, and if they wanted XYZ on/around the stage, so it's up to them to either request it, or provide it.
    all of this would have been agreed in the contract, and NY&CH/management/crew would have known well in advance what sort of gig/stage/venue they would have, and could have changed things if they wanted, not least should be providing their own stage dressing/backdrops.

I will never go to another NY gig.
    That wasnt a "NY gig", it was a Neil Young & Crazy Horse gig. I'd never go to see him perform a solo acoustic version of an unreleased concept album like he did for a few nights in Vicar Street around 10 years ago, but I enjoyed Malahide Castle and loved the show last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I don't dispute that there are people who are a bit naive and go along to concerts by "heritage acts", expecting all their favourite songs and wanting them to sound just like the are on the records (this isn't solely applicable to Neil Young), and then moan because they didn't get x, y or z.
    However, I certainly don't buy the argument that those who were unhappy with last night's show all just felt that way because they "expected Harvest and After the Goldrush material" or that they were somehow unprepared as to what to expect by a full-on electric performance.
    There can still be such a thing as a bad Neil Young and Crazy Horse show. Nobody was unhappy leaving the Crazy Horse shows in the Point in 1996 or 2001, because the setlist was more balanced and Neil engaged with the crowd. Most people have very valid reasons for feeling short changed at the RDS.

Of course there is nothing wrong (or surprising) in him playing material from Psychedelic Pill, but that is not the same as, say, Bruce Springsteen playing MOST of Wrecking Ball, since Bruce's material is more accessible and he "compensates" for those songs being unfamiliar to some people by selling it to the back row and by playing a substantial amount of crowd-pleasers. Yes, Neil did some very familiar classics, but that was evidently barely sufficient to placate those who were frustrated by the endless, turgid riffing.

Neil ultimately doesn't give a s**t about delivering a show that will appease the masses, as long as he's having a good time on stage. Of course, anyone who's more than a fairweather fan knows he has a longstanding reputation for doing what he likes, and that is why he has carved his own particular path the way he has, but when you're in a windswept venue and the lengthy jamming is getting tiresome, you're going to lose patience.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Choochtown

comet wrote: »
    Comes a Time

Powderfinger

Seems that even at the front they'll be arseholes that won't STFO

(Great clips btw)

NY&CH/management/crew would have known well in advance what sort of gig/stage/venue they would have, and could have changed things if they wanted, not least should be providing their own stage dressing/backdrops.

They did raise a backdrop with the Crazy Horse logo when setting up the stage, but they had to lower it again. Couldn't see why. I guess the lack of big screens is due to it being mostly an indoor arena tour. Like Springsteen there's never much hapening on the stage (or behind it) apart from the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

They actually removed the backdrop, so I think the minimalist stage was deliberate.
    Great stuff from the band all night, just 4 musicians playing music. Music that rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

who_ru wrote: »
    I would encourage everybody who had a bad experience as a result of the venue, stage & sound or promoter to contact Aiken via email or phone.

let them know it's unacceptable.

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/contact-aiken-promotions.html

^ ^ ^

This is what people need to do, Aiken can't do anything about it if they don't know, if people mailed them at least they'd be aware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    To be honest, if you dont like self indulgent jamming then you really shouldnt be buying a ticket for a Crazy Horse gig. They've been playing long self-indulgent guitar jams since 1970, they arent going to change their approach now. People should be given their money back for what exactly? Sure, the feedback section at the end of Walk Like a Giant went on a bit, but I cant really see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over it. This is Neil Young we're talking about, who has been doing exactly what he wants since 1967.

This sums it up perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

This was, by a mile, the worst gig I have ever been to in my life. It did not have one redeeming feature, and I am a big Neil Young fan. I think it may be time he hung up his guitar!

This was, by a mile, the worst gig I have ever been to in my life. It did not have one redeeming feature, and I am a big Neil Young fan. I think it may be time he hung up his guitar!

I have never seen such divided opinion on a music gig in my life. Were you at the back, seated or standing or where were you situated?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

Sounds like there were 2 gigs in the RDS last night. The great one I was at the the other one that half the commenters were at. NY had been off my musical radar for a while and I got the ticket at the last minute, so no time to catch up with what might be on the set list. I was near the front on the left side and sound was absolutely fine.

Alright, he didn't play the hits. But as jamming sessions go, this was awesome. I was just so gobsmacked to hear and see a legend and his band at work and enjoying themselves from what was only a few metres away. A couple of times I did get a bit annoyed that I was caught out by thinking the song had ended and started applauding, only for it to go on for another few minutes. At least clapping for so long was keeping me warm.

No problems with the bars or the jacks. It was a gig with temporary facilites after all. I was a bit surprised there was no big screen. Those at the end of the stands must have seen f all.

Little Green Cars were excellent, as always. Los Lobos were fine, the slowed down version of La Bamba was a nice surprise. However, the biggest surprise amongst the support act was the Waterboys. I really didn't have time for them in the past (they were in the same novelty bin as Mumford and Sons and the saw Doctors) but they were really terrific last night. Really tight and a fantastic sound. Just lose the stoopid hat Mike. That goes for you too, Neil.

martybike wrote: »
    Sounds like there were 2 gigs in the RDS last night. The great one I was at the the other one that half the commenters were at. NY had been off my musical radar for a while and I got the ticket at the last minute, so no time to catch up with what might be on the set list. I was near the front on the left side and sound was absolutely fine.

Alright, he didn't play the hits. But as jamming sessions go, this was awesome. I was just so gobsmacked to hear and see a legend and his band at work and enjoying themselves from what was only a few metres away. A couple of times I did get a bit annoyed that I was caught out by thinking the song had ended and started applauding, only for it to go on for another few minutes. At least clapping for so long was keeping me warm.

No problems with the bars or the jacks. It was a gig with temporary facilites after all. I was a bit surprised there was no big screen. Those at the end of the stands must have seen f all.

Little Green Cars were excellent, as always. Los Lobos were fine, the slowed down version of La Bamba was a nice surprise. However, the biggest surprise amongst the support act was the Waterboys. I really didn't have time for them in the past (they were in the same novelty bin as Mumford and Sons and the saw Doctors) but they were really terrific last night. Really tight and a fantastic sound. Just lose the stoopid hat Mike. That goes for you too, Neil.

Neil Young with the Horse is rock and roll in its most primal form. Maybe you either get it or you dont, I dont know. Either way, I thought they were incredible. The way they were so tightly bunched on the stage, playing off each other, was terrific. And they seemed to be genuinely happy to be playing together. It was my first time seeing Neil with Crazy Horse and in no way was I let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

i thought that was great. big massive stage, but the 4 of them stayed in a huddle all night playing away. totally baffled by some of the negative comments, though i can imagine anyone in the stands must have felt really short changed without any speakers near them and the lack of a big screen.

not a fan of outdoor gigs at all, think ive been to 5 before in my long gig going lifetime. i found it best not to worry about the people around me and just enjoy the tunes. sound was crystal clear where i was standing, about half way back, in line with the PAs on the right side of the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I have never seen such divided opinion on a music gig in my life. Were you at the back, seated or standing or where were you situated?

Standing in the middle.
    I am surprised anyone enjoyed this gig but each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dermotcw

http://obfoto.zenfolio.com/p774189838Had very mixed emotions leaving the gig last night, boy was I glad I elected a standing ticket rather than a stand! Had been following the set list from his gigs in Europe where he played 14 songs with usually 2 'general crowd pleasers', he played just 13 last night, and only the Bob Dylan song engaged the audience. Have to say I thought some of the crows were obxnious, way too much drink n drugs.
    The event was advertised with some Neil Young classiscs which Aiken should take a lot of stick for, this is false advertising in my opinion.
    Wonderfull to see the lads enjoying their music, but the Waterboys were superb.p774189838http:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Really...Jesus

stankratz wrote: »
    That was my first time seeing Uncle Neil in action. Well, that was...exactly what I was expecting. Knowing it was a Neil Young and Crazyhorse gig I was going to, I knew I wasn't going to hear many of the songs which first brought me to Neil Young. The long solos were nice to a point, then it became apparent that Neil thought he was at home in the garage:pac: The repeated to the death stabs at the end of every second song was a bit too much for me and totally killed the crowd at times. Still, there were some nice jams, the Horse were tight, following Neil wherever he went, and a killer version of Cortez to close the night.

The man is obviously at that point in his career where he just wants to go out on stage and jam with some old friends and rock out, irrespective of crowd desires, he is entitled to do that, but I imagine there were many people there tonight who got something they totally weren't expecting. Yes the gig was advertised as Neil Young and Crazy Horse, but no one told that to the guy doing the song cuts for the TV and radio ads.

The sound was absolutely sh1te where I was to the right in line with the technical area. Although it was always going to be a noisy/thrashy gig, the strict noise restrictions in the RDS ruined any chance of a decent sound. F*ck you promoters and your modern 'anywhere will do for a gig once we get the ticket money' mantra (see Marlay Park also). Sound quality has become the very last concern at outdoor gigs, and god help those punters down in the end of the stands, not a speaker tower in sight. I walked down there in search for a toilet at one point and it sounded like there was a gig happening somewhere in the vicinity. The people in the apartments behind the stage would have had a better experience of the gig for free.

One poor girl flat out working behind the hot dog stand, I the fool queued for 20 minutes to hand her 12 quid for 2 hotdogs. She said she was on her own all day. I saw the manager coming in twice to check the till as I and about 100 other people waited in line. That girl will sleep for at least 12 hours tonight!

So all in all a mixed experience, but it's Neil so there's greatness and reason going on there somewhere, I hope! For me it was like 'The Passion Of The Christ' of gigs; I knew I was watching something great but it was a tough watch at times:o Still delighted to have been there and able to share these thoughts, hard to say if I'll get the chance to see Neil again. To compare, last June I got to see another longtime favourite of mine for the first time, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in the O2, and I was elated coming away from the place. As soon as Neil and the boys left the stage tonight it was like "Right, sure we'll go". If he does an indoor gig of any kind here in future I'll try for tickets, outdoor nope.

Correct!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Really...Jesus

Flysfisher wrote: »
    You have summed it up perfectly.

Correct

Advertisement