Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - RDS - 15th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Catmologen wrote: »
    Agreed, if you go to a gig to expecting the artist to make you feel better about yourself then there are probably some more serious issues at play. Crowd interaction is usually contrived and shallow in the extreme. Its just as rehearsed as the music is folks.

So wanting a bit of crowd interaction with (possibly) your favourite artist, whom you admire, qualifies you as having mental health issues now does it?

Nobody said they wanted NY to make them feel better about themselves! Perhaps they just wanted to feel a little more of a connection with him on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I'm glad everyone made such a fuss out of it as it got me reading abuot Neil Young and made me go and give him a proper listen, the man's a legend!

Loving Psychedelic Pill. And so much more to listen to!

Hopefully he comes back with Crazy Horse someday as I'd love to catch it live.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away...", Looks like he is living true to that anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

symbolic wrote: »
    I'm glad everyone made such a fuss out of it as it got me reading abuot Neil Young and made me go and give him a proper listen, the man's a legend!

Loving Psychedelic Pill. And so much more to listen to!

Hopefully he comes back with Crazy Horse someday as I'd love to catch it live.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away...", Looks like he is living true to that anyway!

Yea. Do go next time. First time I saw Van the Man he just walked off after doing his thing on stage- but "his thing on stage" was magic. Neil was good last week - would have been better if other things were in place like better sound system/venue etc- but I still enjoyed it.

Besides, since when is it "rock and roll" to "please the audience"? :D

SexPistols.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

Anyone know if there'll be phone charging facilities on site?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

Anyone know if there'll be phone charging facilities on site?

:confused:

Do you plan on travelling back in time to attend the gig?

If that's the case I wouldn't bother, the consensus seems to be that the 2009, 2001 and 1996 NY concerts were better.

tumblr_lnmg2u2kTC1qen6qlo1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Meanwhile two days later in London, this looks a completely different gig indoors to what we got in the RDS. Excellent sound, the giant iconic Fender amp stage props that are symbolic with Crazy Horse right back to Rust Never Sleeps, two big screens either side.... makes us feel shortchanged even though Neil and Crazy Horse didn't play any differently, if this was in the Point people would be saying 10/10 but instead we got the RDS and Aiken

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Yep, great performance, and the the oversized Fender amps look cool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Dotsey wrote: »
    Meanwhile two days later in London, this looks a completely different gig indoors to what we got in the RDS. Excellent sound, the giant iconic Fender amp stage props that are symbolic with Crazy Horse right back to Rust Never Sleeps, two big screens either side.... makes us feel shortchanged even though Neil and Crazy Horse didn't play any differently, if this was in the Point people would be saying 10/10 but instead we got the RDS and Aiken

Hard to argue the audience in the RDS didn't get stung when you've seen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

+1

Aiken "promotions" are long enough in the game now.
    What they presented last Saturday was disgraceful.
    Crap stage, crap sound and no screens in a crap venue, shocking!
    Betcha it won't be the last gig they f..k up either but they're still allowed to get away with it. :mad:

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well they hardly went along to hear T-Bone and Kinda Fonda Wanda.

I'd actually be genuinely psyched to hear one of them. Sort of a bit like him playing Lost in Space in Malahide a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

furiousox wrote: »
    +1

Aiken "promotions" are long enough in the game now.
    What they presented last Saturday was disgraceful.
    Crap stage, crap sound and no screens in a crap venue, shocking!
    Betcha it won't be the last gig they f..k up either but they're still allowed to get away with it. :mad:

What would you have done, if you had been promoting the gig to counteract the outdoor elements of wind and rain, and the likelihood that there is a specific limit to the volume permitted, with regard to the licence granted to hold the gig.

The reason I ask, is that in any outdoor show, there is a possibility of sound issues, especially depending on where you stand or sit.

People at Michael Buble in the Aviva, reported sound problems, where it was echoing, towards the back of the venue.

So it would appear that sound quality at any outdoor show can be an issue.

I find that, if you are too far to the left or right, there can be a huge difference in sound quality compared to standing centrally, between the speakers at either side of the stage.

This also applies to any indoor concert including the O2, where there is a sound difference if you are seated in block A or G, to being in Blocks C or D.

I don't see how the RDS was any worse than any other outdoor venue. I'm guessing there was a genuine reason the big screens were not used, as they were used at the gig in Malahide Castle in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Why didn't he just begin by apologising about the malfunctioning screens and the ****ty sound and take it from there rather than lambasting the moany "greatest hits" fans first?

Im guessing its because Aiken are really big players in a tiny irish market and they can do whatever the hell it is they want.

Poor form if you ask me.

I would have loved to have been at the gig. Neil Young is his own man and will always do his own thing regardless of what others think or what is popular. Its one of the reasons I hold him in such high regard and one of the reasons I buy his records. People should have known what to expect imo.

Just noticed the very poor ticket sales

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'd actually be genuinely psyched to hear one of them. Sort of a bit like him playing Lost in Space in Malahide a few years ago.

He played Lost in Space in the o2 in 2009, not Malahide Castle,

Fabulous song, there's a clip on youtube of it, I think this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNBvNE98DOM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

horseburger
    What would you have done, if you had been promoting the gig to counteract the outdoor elements of wind and rain, and the likelihood that there is a specific limit to the volume permitted, with regard to the licence granted to hold the gig.

The reason I ask, is that in any outdoor show, there is a possibility of sound issues, especially depending on where you stand or sit.
    For a start the people in the stands could have been moved down nearer the stage, their was plenty room as the stands were half empty. The sound destroyed by wind is a problem for any outdoor gig but a speaker column half way down would have helped. Volume is always a problem in the RDS, we just have to suck it up until they base the limits on the sound outside the venue then they can play around with speaker placement. Duno what the story is with the screens, no reason not to have them because of the wind unless the stage rig was not suitable and allowing an unsuitable rig at an outdoor gig is down to the promoter. FFS don't they know what the weather is like in Ireland.

That London video has me mad jealous and I enjoyed the RDS gig.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ah yes, you're right. I knew it was a recent one and forgot which.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Dotsey wrote: »

just as a matter of interest,does anyone know how much the tickets cost for this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

He's playing the O2 (London) again in August.
    Tickets are £45-£65

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Well after reading through this thread since the concert, I guess I'll throw my two cents in......

I think it is absolutely ridiculous people are complaining about the set list! Firstly those saying there was no hits played, in other words, no well known songs, THERE VERY MUCH SO WAS! If you are a of Neil Young & Crazy Horse you really should know....

Love and Only Love // Powderfinger // Comes A Time // Cinnamon Girl // F**kin' Up // Mr Soul // Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) // Cortez the Killer!

I guess some people, and unfortunately a lot of people by the sounds of it arrived just looking for The Needle and the Damage Done, Rockin' in the Free World and Heart of Gold, three songs which as it turns out Neil has been playing this tour, but this night like other nights he opted to mix it up and for the acoustic section and do Blowin' in the Wind and Comes a Time instead, two great songs, played fantastically! Neil Young has always done what he has wanted to do, and doesn't cater for Greatest Hits fans! Those people arguing that they didn't expect an electric heavy rock concert ain't worth even talking about as the clearly had no idea where they were going! The gig as mentioned throughout this thread was very much advertised as Neil Young & Crazy Horse!!!

Large screens would have been nice in such a large arena, but not overly necessary, after all this is about hearing the music (more on that later) Perhaps I am just used to seeing Bob Dylan live who never has screens despite how big an arena he plays! For the folks in the stands it sure would have been nice tho. There was very much a feckless feeling to the day from the get go IMO, The wind didn't seem overly severe on the night, so Peter Aiken using that as an excuse doesn't ring through for me, I seen Springsteen in 2009 in worse wind and rain in that ****ty venue, with his giant screens set up and working fine, for some reason the band didn't have their stage props set up, no giant Fender amps and no a giant microphone in the middle of the stage, Also the banner with the Crazy Horse, Alchemy Tour logo was raised and then lowed, shortly before the start, I have no idea why!?! As for interaction I though Neil was fine, pacing the stage and waving over to both stands at times and trying to get the "Your Just a F**k up" chant going for a long time, he seemed in good form, the wailing feed back at the end of Walk Like a Giant was a little tedious, but something I would never complain about, Neil surely was enjoying it, and at the end of the day he is the artist, he decides whats played and how, it would take a lot of gall for people to demand what to play and how, this man is an absolute treasure and we were very lucky to get to see himself and Crazy Horse live!

The only problem I had with the concert was the sound. I was standing, and pretty close too, in line with the front of house hut. From the opening notes it was clear the sound needed to be a lot louder! But instead of the sound steadying out, which I was hoping it would, things went from bad to worse! As the already muffled sound dipped in and out and almost sounded like there was a phaser over everything at times, the acoustic section sounded as if I was listening in from outside the stadium, people yapping about non sense over very distant music. Neil's voice was tough to make out, and Ralph's drums were pretty buried, this led to an absolutely horrible experience!!! It was a strange combination or anger and sadness I was left with, everything was set for a great day, Neil Young & Crazy Horse back in town, for maybe the last time, touring behind "Psychedelic Pill" which should be remembered as an absolute classic! I don't blame people for asking for a refund for this sole reason, as it is totally unacceptable! The argument should not get diluted with people looking for the songs from the radio! or people saying oh he messed around with feedback for too long or there were no screens, the main problem here was the terrible, terrible sound!!! It didn't help looking at Neil and the band rocking out and having a great time! When Poncho said that this was the best crowd we played to, I thought he surely must be joking! But I guess I like others just wasn't part of the concert.

I will for the record, NEVER set foot in the R.D.S again, no matter how good the act is, It just ain't worth it! (someone should probably get word to Springsteen!)

Hopefully I'll get to catch the show in London! there is a sour taste in my mouth from this concert, for reasons all beyond Neil and the Bands control of course! The result of been so close but still so so so far away, was absolutely painful!

Rubbish- that's the concert I saw in in RDS, except the stage wasn't as done up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

To the above, good post, I walked away disappointed but the more I think about it the more I realise it was great concert, I was near the front center and could hear the stage amps the , the large stacks were a discrace, swinging in the wind, but by any standard the end of walk like a giant was painful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Rubbish- that's the concert I saw in in RDS, except the stage wasn't as done up because the entire stage set was omitted, there were no big screens, the wind was blowing the sound away from the audience, huge sections of the crowd couldn't hear or see the show, the tickets were more expensive......

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Just to live up to the stereotype, here's Neil Young on his own in 1971 playing new material and not boring the audience.

FYP

Well, maybe your gripe is with the venue/bells whistles etc. I went for the music, was up the front and all was well for me, so I stand by my comments. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Just to live up to the stereotype, here's Neil Young on his own in 1971 playing new material and not boring the audience.

He took way too long setting his harmonica up. I want my money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

dharn wrote: »
    To the above, good post, I walked away disappointed but the more I think about it the more I realise it was great concert, I was near the front center and could hear the stage amps the , the large stacks were a discrace, swinging in the wind, but by any standard the end of walk like a giant was painful
    On the Weld album I have there's a 3rd disc called "Arc", which Young also done with Crazy Horse and the disc/track is basically 35 minutes of guitar noises and feedback so in some ways this was to be expected. Anyway to some it up Young is a master and still at the top of his games whereas the RDS and Aiken are a shower of w***ers, Neil should have dedicted F*!#in Up to them in all honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

furiousox wrote: »
    Think I've heard it all now.
    Someone said to me today the only song they recognised was 'Blowin' In The Wind' and went on to say "..he didn't even play horse with no name".
    I thought they were joking but they weren't! :eek:

FOOK ME!!I PISSED MESELF!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I went to the R.D.S. IN 09 for Springsteen and swore blind i'd never return to the R.D.S. for a gig.I love Neil Young saw him live in the 02 but said i'd swerve this cause of the awful venue.Sounds like i dodged a bullet by not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

Anyone got a email back from Aiken?
    passing the buck back to the Artist....
    no responsibility taken at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

reply from Aiken received today.

Dear Mr............
    Re: Neil Young - RDS
    I refer to your recent email regarding this event and I am sorry that it did not live up to your expectations

Any stage ‘dressing’ is entirely at the discretion of the artist or his producer The decision not to have screens was a decision of Neil Young’s management.

Screens are not an essential part of a performance but many acts now use them. The speaker configuration and any subsequent sound issues were the responsibility of the artist’s sound engineers

Sound quality is a personal matter with individuals hearing things differently. Summarily s atmospheric conditions can impact on sound quality and create short term variations, particularly at outdoor venues. I am not, however, disputing your personal experiences of the sound quality.

It is clear from your email that you were disappointed and on behalf of Aiken Promotions, I hope that you do not regard this experience as typical.
    Yours sincerely
    Jim Clarke

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Ah yes, you're right. I knew it was a recent one and forgot which.

Hi quickbeam

Thanks for reminding me about the song Lost in Space.

I've been listening to it every day since you mentioned it here!:)

Side 1 track 3!!

Advertisement