Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and homelessness

Options
2»

Comments

mariaalice, of course you are allowed to say what you think. Noone has said otherwise. It's a discussion forum so others are allowed to disagree with or question your opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

mariaalice wrote: »
    Because its not a one dementia story, some people do get out of abusive situations and its more rounded and realistic to tell that story as well.
    I am allowed to say that I think it would be better if that womans story was part of a suit of stories about homelessness.

As I have said before I have worked as a volunteer in a woman refuge so I know it is a very difficult area.

Not being smart but how much money do you think a charity helping homeless people would generate from a series of stories about people who aren't homeless?

If the ad were for womens aid then you might have a point. They should portray women who get out of abusive situations and come out the other side as successful.

But a homeless charity? Come on!What would be the point of showing a succesful woman in a lovely house with her kids tucked up in a warm bed having gotten away from an abusive husband? Yeah, it would be inspiring but it wouldn't be in any way relevant to the actual charity we are talking about.

It has to be relevant too. Concern don't show pictures of chubby Irish babies who are well fed and nurtured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Because its not a one dementia story, some people do get out of abusive situations and its more rounded and realistic to tell that story as well.
    I am allowed to say that I think it would be better if that womans story was part of a suit of stories about homelessness.

As I have said before I have worked as a volunteer in a woman refuge so I know it is a very difficult area.

What astounded me about your posts on this thread, is the fact that you don't understand that women in abusive situations usually are powerless, jobless, low self worth, isolated from friends and family and ARE victims in every way.

Its not an attack on feminism, or an offense to the women who manage to walk away successfully, its a reminder of HOW difficult and damaging an abusive relationship is. How in under God you worked at a women's shelter with such a patronizing attitude is beyond me.

Mod

Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Surely you saw women just like the one in the ad then :confused:

I'm confused as to why you feel the ad is portraying the woman as a victim and what is wrong with that? She is a victim, a victim of being homeless. Its not saying all women in violent relationships will end up homeless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

some people do get out of abusive situations and its more rounded and realistic to tell that story as well.

But ... the woman portrayed in this ad DID get out of an abusive situation! Albeit it was tough going at the beginning but it's rare enough that it's not.

I think I understand that Marialice is trying to say. I think she means that it would be inspirational if women who'd faced the challenges of being homeless, possibly as a result of abuse in the home, were shown not just as homeless, but also as having overcome homelessness.

I don't think its an unreasonable point to make, and I don't think she's saying no women should be portrayed as victims, just that they should be portrayed as not only victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Candie wrote: »
    I think I understand that Marialice is trying to say. I think she means that it would be inspirational if women who'd faced the challenges of being homeless, possibly as a result of abuse in the home, were shown not just as homeless, but also as having overcome homelessness.

I don't think its an unreasonable point to make, and I don't think she's saying no women should be portrayed as victims, just that they should be portrayed as not just victims.
    I'd agree with that. I've seen some amazing success stories, from both genders, in regards to homelessness. But highlighting such instances makes people, subtlety, think that there's not a real need to donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Either the OP misunderstood the advert or she's looking for offence where the is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'd agree with that. I've seen some amazing success stories, from both genders, in regards to homelessness. But highlighting such instances makes people, subtlety, think that there's not a real need to donate.

That is exactly the point I was so inarticulately making. I give to charity and I know I am much more likely to give to a charity that make a effort to be realistic and balanced, but I am maybe being naive about the advertising industry they know what stories will raise the most money.

I give to one charity in India I chose it because I like the way they operate.

Its a charity that educates very very poor girls often the family's of bonded labourers. The charity gives a small amount money to the family if the girls is keep in school and give the rest of the money to the school, The money the family gets is the same as the girl could earn if she was working, if the family takes the girl out of school they do not get the money although the school keeps getting it, the reason I support the charity is because it directly challenges a culture of non education of girls, I occasionally get a letter with a photo of the girls graduating secondary school and its great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What astounded me about your posts on this thread, is the fact that you don't understand that women in abusive situations usually are powerless, jobless, low self worth, isolated from friends and family and ARE victims in every way.

Its not an attack on feminism, or an offense to the women who manage to walk away successfully, its a reminder of HOW difficult and damaging an abusive relationship is. How in under God you worked at a women's shelter with such a patronizing attitude is beyond me.

So woman with careers/ jobs, family etc are never in an abusive relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

So woman with careers/ jobs, family etc are never in an abusive relationship?

I don't think anyone said that, but if a woman has no income of her own and no family support, surely you can see that it's more likely she could become homeless getting out of an abusive relationship than a woman who has a source of income and/or family who could help her out for a while and give her a place to stay?

Advertisement