Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question re the Big Bang

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Pfft, everyone knows refridgerator's are conduits for God's will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I sometimes just look in the fridge and wonder. Who created the mould on last week's leftovers? Who took the eclair I was keeping for my tea? I suppose there are things we are just not meant to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Therein lies the difference between atheists and believers. An atheist is perfectly happy to say I don't know whereas a believer decides to fill the gap in our knowledge by labelling it God.

That is exactly it. Sums up the 'reason' for religion in one sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Banbh wrote: »
    I sometimes just look in the fridge and wonder. Who created the mould on last week's leftovers?

Bread goes in. Mould comes out.

You can't explain that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bread goes in. Mould comes out.

You can't explain that.

Mould is God's way of punishing us for the gay agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

On which day of the week did God make the mould? Did he make them before the bread - in which case what were they living on until the wheat came along and the humans to make it into bread?
    There's never a theologian around when you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Banbh wrote: »
    Who took the eclair I was keeping for my tea?
    Sorry. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

... was reading a few posts and the following made me think. I've cherry picked a few from King Mob and understand that KM is asking questions and the comments do not necessarily reflect opinion.
    King Mob wrote: »
    Again, why are you assuming everything must have a cause?

And if everything must have a cause, what caused the creator you are positing?

Is he able to exist without a cause?

If they are claiming that God can exist without a cause, then the next question is: why does this not apply to the universe?

If the universe can exist without the need for a cause, then why do we need God as part of the explanation?

I would say that causality, as we know it, is limited to our Universe.

Another limit to matter in our Universe is the speed of light.

I see no problem with a Universe that obeys causality as we understand and a God that does not.

Actually, let's take God out and just talk Physics.

When you go faster than the speed of light, superluminal, cause and effect break down as we know it. Causality is violated. Albeit has been a while, I do not remember Relativity forbiding superluminal speeds altogether.

During Modern Physics, I remember doing a problem whereby if one could go faster than the speed of light, for example, an arrow hit the target, before it was fired.

Thus, I do not find mutually exclusive a Universe that necessitates cause and effect and superluminal particles that have no effect, but cause. Perhaps, the cause, for the effect, has yet to occur?

Closing thought, a lot of people mistakenly believe that Einstein forbid a superluminal "realm," for the lack of a better word. Not true. In fact, Einstein held out the possibility of a superluminal world.

Einstein, said that no thing, that is no thing that has matter may be accelerated to the speed of light, let alone past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

FISMA wrote: »
    Albeit has been a while, I do not remember Relativity forbiding superluminal speeds altogether.
    As you said, special and general relativity mean that nothing with mass can reach light speed. Light travels at light speed because it has 0 mass.

If something had negative mass, it would travel at superluminal speeds, but no such thing has been observed (and it's possible that it's unobservable) and negative mass does not gel well with current models.

I was just making a point in response to the the definite assertion that every must have the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Knasher wrote: »
    My money is on quantum vacuum fluctuations

I know the banks are dodgy but surely there is a safer place to put your cash on deposit? :D

First reply nailed the answer to the OP's question, incidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

As you said, special and general relativity mean that nothing with mass can reach light speed. Light travels at light speed because it has 0 mass.

If something had negative mass, it would travel at superluminal speeds, but no such thing has been observed (and it's possible that it's unobservable) and negative mass does not gel well with current models.

I was just making a point in response to the the definite assertion that every must have the cause.

... I might be wrong but I was of the understanding that its mass would have to be imaginary not just negative.
    Which ever way you cut it you end up well outside "sensible to human".
    Negative mass particles might be interesting...
    Imaginary mass particles, insane.

Edit: not wrong, took a look at tachyon on wikipedia... Anything going faster than light needs an imaginary mass, and when it loses energy through cherenkov radiation, it goes faster, until it's going infinitly fast and has zero energy...
    Yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

robindch wrote: »
    When arguing about the "beginning" of the universe, religious people will say "everything needs a cause", but then claim that their particular deity doesn't need one. In a debate, applying a rule to other people that one isn't prepared to apply to oneself isn't just silly, but it's a little bit dishonest too and it's not "belittling" people to point that out.
    TheNap wrote:
    Again please excuse my ignorance. But if something wasnt created , where did it come from ?

The usual theist response to the counter question "Where did God come from?" is the claim that God, being atemporal, needs no cause, while the physical world, being temporal, needs a cause.

The first thing that must be stressed, which has already been mentioned on this thread, is that we do not have a full understanding of the universe. We cannot understand the Big Bang, because we do not yet have a theory of quantum gravity.

But there are tentative beginnings of a theory of quantum gravity, and they suggest that the universe might exhibit an atemporal existence as well.

When a quantum physicist wants to calculate the probability of a system evolving from state A to state B, they consider all possible ways the system could evolve from A to B, and sum up quantities related to all those paths to calculate relevant probability. When this approach is applied to gravity, an analogous calculation happens. I.e. To calculate the probability of the universe evolving from a state A to a state B, we sum over all the spacetime topologies bounded by A and B.

Here's the relevant/interesting part. Stephen Hawking, in his famous paper "The Wavefunction of the Universe" suggested that, instead of summing over all topologies bounded by an initial and final state, we could simply sum over all topologies bounded by the final state, and not specify an initial state. This gives the probability of the universe arising from "nothing", in the sense of a topology of zero space, time, energy, or matter. In the same way an electron can spontaneously form as an excitation of the dirac field, the universe can spontaneously form as an excitation of a field of topologies.

The notion of this "nothing" is tricky, because it is technically not "nothing" in the creatio ex nihilo sense. You still have some form of topological superspace like structure capable of generating the universe. But the important point is time is generated by this structure. It is atemporal, and is therefore no more beholden to the question "Why is there something, rather than nothing?" than God is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

The Excitated Field of Topologies hates fags?

Advertisement