Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Very Different Stove Requests

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Interesting sooty, I'll keep an eye on that anyway. I'm happy with the performance so far considering it's only a temporary solution and didn't cost too much. If you told me that and it was a stove I had decided on for lifetime use I'd be far more pissed off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

What is the best inset stove on the market in everyones opinion? I know of Stanley, Beru etc but what would you recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Sooty i hope you get plenty of business out of this thread. I have been reading stove threads on here for a couple of years now and there is some great info on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sooty_soupy

woodoo wrote: »
    Sooty i hope you get plenty of business out of this thread. I have been reading stove threads on here for a couple of years now and there is some great info on this one.

Thanks Woodoo. As an instructor for the Northern Ireland Association of Chimney Sweeps, I am more concerned with educating my customers, if that gets us some business then so be it…call it the icing on the cake. It is just nice to know that I have the ability to share my knowledge, to show there are people who have a true passion and belief for what they do, and try to do right by people rather than selling a box off a website or out of a corner shop, building counter or plumbing outfit, just because stoves are the in thing, and they want to capitalise on the ill-informed out there. Too many dick heads from what I can see on both sides of the border at that carry on.

Happy New Year to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paddy Pieball

Re Doras fire
    Has anyone fitted one where there is an old small back boiler that just heated the water ,without a coil ,if so how did it work out.
    Or else an opinion regarding same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sooty_soupy

Re Doras fire
    Has anyone fitted one where there is an old small back boiler that just heated the water ,without a coil ,if so how did it work out.

Paddy you can fit a boiler into an inset stove, but if you don't have a coil in the cylinder you need to use essex flanges and make sure the domestic boiler is Stainless Steel. Oh and yes, the Clearview Inset does. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Re Doras fire

Hi,

A Doras is what the name suggests (a door), Stanley had them out years ago and yes they can improve efficiency because they give the owner control over the air supply to the fire.

Are they a miracle cure all for inefficiencies?

No, if they were as good as they looked Stanley would never have withdrawn their product from the market, one problem they can have is incomplete combustion leading to carbon monoxide being produced another is the flue gas temperature drops so depending on the quality of the fuel you are burning this can cause a build up of creosote in the flue.

The boiler you describe is meant to fitted to a Direct Primatic cylinder as opposed to what is standard today an indirect cylinder where the water heated by the the boiler is transferred to the water in the cylinder via a coil.

They were a popular boiler in their day started off being manufactured in copper then for price purposes changed to stainless steel, there are rules that must be observed if you are thinking of installing one so make sure you or your plumber understands how the boiler works.

Advertisement