Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Very Different Stove Requests

Options
  • 06-12-2012 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just looking for any advice on two separate stove requests for two separate people with two different living situations.

Stove 1)
    For home owner. Will be permanent for the house. House is currently heated by open fire and back boiler connected to 5 radiators. House is a 4 bedroom, 1 bathroom house built in the early 80's. Holds heat ok. Can do any building work necessary for installation

Image of fireplace: http://omg.wthax.org/ca.jpg

Stove 2)
    For tenant. Tenant will want to take it with them if moving. Currently occupying a small bedsit/studio apartment in basement of old enough building. Open fire with no back boiler but tenant mainly using storage heaters at present to heat location. Doesn't hold heat at all. Very badly insulated and heat escaping through chimney etc. Can not do any building work to install. Tenant suffers from allergies and would prefer stove over open fire to keep dust particles out of air in the room ans send them straight up the chimney.

Image of fireplace: http://omg.wthax.org/IMG_20121205_111452.jpg

So two pretty different situations here but would like to try sort something soon for both locations if possible.

I spoke briefly to Stove Fan via PM but got weighed down with the info but now the idea of going for a stove is almost essential for each party.

Stove Fan recommended hunter for an affordable brand and suggested to have a look at stovesonline.co.uk. I may have the opportunity to get a stove collected from there directly and delivered to Ireland by Friday so would like to try get a decision made soon.

So besides a carbon monoxide alarm and an air vent, what else may be required for each location I wonder?

I'd appreciate any feedback at all on this in terms of what type of stove, brand, where to buy, who to use to install etc so any input would be greatly welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

Plenty of stoves in Ireland to buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

What does the landlord say about the stove being installed and removed, Installation could require the removal of the fireplace and fire back?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't have an issue buying in Ireland and would prefer to do so for any aftersales support and guarantees too of course.

I was hoping that maybe there was a solution where no building work would be required for the rental property. Maybe a smaller stove that could just sit in front of, or partly into the fireplace?

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't have an issue buying in Ireland and would prefer to do so for any aftersales support and guarantees too of course.

I was hoping that maybe there was a solution where no building work would be required for the rental property. Maybe a smaller stove that could just sit in front of, or partly into the fireplace?

For your tenant have a look at this very little work to be done.

http://borustoves.ie/the-doras-firefront/

But if you are fitting a stove you would have to change your hearth to suit building regs. Take no chances on rental properties.

Inset stoves may also suit better.

http://borustoves.ie/the-fiachra-inset-7-k-w/

Browse around the Boru website some good info and made in Ireland. Good place to start.

Thanks again for the help!

Would there be ANY option at all for a construction-free stove? The inset stove looks like the hearth would need to be knocked out a bit and I don't think the landlord would be too keen on getting anything done, or the management company for a temporary tenant who may leave at any time. The tenant wants to just have a warm place and is willing to pay the money for the stove, as long as they can take it with them when they are moving out.

What kind of size etc would be needed for Stove 1 I wonder?

Also, is there any downside to an inset stove as opposed to a free standing one? Vents and carbon monoxide alarms are needed anywhere a stove is as far as I know?

• Advertisement

All stoves to be install correctly will need alterations and some small build work.

The Boru doras will be the least amount of work but not a stove and may suit the tenant if asked.

As far as the tenant taking it when moving is not practical as more work will have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

I always thought that most of the heat was lost up the chimney, how is the Dora's going to solve that problem?

Fenton Fires in Greystones would be worth a visit, lovely people to deal with, bought 2 Jotul stoves from them years ago, never a problem.

That's a pity, I was thinking there would be an option to just have a freestanding stove sitting right in front of the fireplace and the flue just going up the chimney which could be sealed around and removed easily when the tenant wants to move and take it with them. The stove would then act as a blocker for the chimney so the place wouldn't be so cold. I heard one girl saying she was able to move her stove from one place to another and it was easy enough to set up. There's no simple option like that?

nhg wrote: »
    I always thought that most of the heat was lost up the chimney, how is the Dora's going to solve that problem?

Fenton Fires in Greystones would be worth a visit, lovely people to deal with, bought 2 Jotul stoves from them years ago, never a problem.

I was thinking the same thing about the doras regards heat going up the chimney. It looks like you'd lose even more since there's a door in front too? :) The doras, or anything that will require such alterations to the building wouldn't be an option anyway. I was thinking maybe just a freestanding option. A small stove that would sit in front of the fireplace...

Evan a small stove will require work.
    Hearth will have to come out further.
    Flue pipe secured into the chimney.
    1 days work or two half days as new hearth will have to be installed first.

If the tenant takes the stove away landlord will have to buy exact model to suit or pay the tenant for the stove.

The fire door is not a miracle door but it will put some control over the fire and make it last longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

I don't know anything about this stuff, OK.
    Just started looking, according to:
    http://www.firewarm.ie/insert_stove
    http://mulberrystoves.com/products-stoker.html
    Both says can be fitted basically straight away, just remove fire grates, make sure enough room, and shove it in there. I am talking about the tapered back. Also the stoker-Firefront-boiler model (see pdf from link) uses the current back boiler kindof like that doras one above but has top baffle which stops heat shooting up the chimney 15mins fitting sounds good to me.

Hands up and to be honest I have never seen these products. Both would be a big improvement to an open fire.

I like the idea of the Fire warm stove. Going by the spec it would be half way between an open fire and a stove.
    With a minimum amount of work. Time to get a measuring tape and confirm measurements.

Both worth a very strong consideration.

That firewarm one looks good alright and would be great if it could just be slotted in and out in 15 minutes and taken with the tenant if moving.

In terms of efficiency, what could be expected though compared to a regular stove I wonder?

I really don't know much about stoves, but as far as I know the main benefits are that all the heat doesn't escape up the chimney and that with the door, the burning level can be controlled from the level of oxygen entering the stove. Is this correct? So with the firewarm, with it being slotted in under, would all the heat still not escape up the chimney I wonder and given that there's only one side exposed (the door facing outwards from the hearth), would you be losing the warmth that a freestanding one would be emitting from the whole unit rather than the heat just going into the walls with the likes of the firewarm?

All fires and stoves will have heat loss,

Open fire about 30% efficient 70% heat up the chimney

Free standing stoves between 60-80% efficient most modern stoves heading for 80% efficient.

The firewarm suggests between 60-80% efficient pending on your chimney.

That's not bad actually, even if it was 60%, it's still double the open fire and then when the fire is unlit it will hopefully stop the warm air escaping through the chimney if the door is closed too. Now just have to find out how much it costs and if it it's worth the investment for the tenant. No prices published on the website unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

This is the only price I've seen for them
    http://www.stovecentre.ie/product.php?id_product=249

The biggest problem with an open fire is you cant control the air to the fire, this leads to the fuel being burnt quickly producing a large amount of heat most of which passes up the chimney.

Even though the doras or similar products are not as efficient as a stove they do control the air and thus reduce the burning rate, this means you use less fuel ant there is less excess heat to pass up the chimney and also closes of the chimney when the fire is not in use.

Imo they are a good product for the price

Thanks for that. €1,500 for a 14kw AND boiler stove gives me good hope of the 4KW non boiler inset stove being much cheaper, I hope :)

How can two stoves the same size (fitting into the fireplace they must be rougly the same size) give different strengths (14kw vs 4kw). I see the higher the KW, the higher the price, how do you know what KW suits and what exactly does a higher KW stove give that a lower one wouldn't?

Just rang firewarm, they don't supply the public but gave the number for TJ O'Mahony's in Ballymount who sell the 4kw one for 449.99 which is definitely affordable.

This is a lot cheaper than other boiler/higher kw/freestanding stoves I've seen so would it be safe to say that this wouldn't be as good in terms of quality, heat, efficiency I wonder?

He said no building work would be required as long as I've a stone back fire place and that it would fit straight into a 16 or 18 inch fireplace. I assume if I've been using the fireplace as an open fire previously that I do have a stone back? :)

I've done a little more research on this and have read some bad things about the firewarm unfortunately so don't feel too confident with that even though the price is pretty good. I don't know if there are any guarantees on the parts with it but from reading posts of The Stove Man, a stove installer who was posting in another thread, he suggests the blacksmith inset stove (artisan I think) and another post by Stove Fan (a simple fan of stoves with over 1,000 posts on boards about stoves, with seemingly no vested interests), he is recommending the Aarrow Ecoburn 5 inset. This one seems to have a lifetime guarantee on the stove body and the brand Aarrow itself is getting Stove Fan's recommendation which must be a good sign :)

This is the blacksmith: http://www.blacksmithstoves.ie/product-artisan.html
    I think it's around €700

This is the Aarrow:
    http://www.stovecentre.ie/product.php?id_product=304

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

cormie wrote: »
    I've done a little more research on this and have read some bad things about the firewarm unfortunately so don't feel too confident with that even though the price is pretty good. I don't know if there are any guarantees on the parts with it but from reading posts of The Stove Man, a stove installer who was posting in another thread, he suggests the blacksmith inset stove (artisan I think) and another post by Stove Fan (a simple fan of stoves with over 1,000 posts on boards about stoves, with seemingly no vested interests), he is recommending the Aarrow Ecoburn 5 inset. This one seems to have a lifetime guarantee on the stove body and the brand Aarrow itself is getting Stove Fan's recommendation which must be a good sign :)

This is the blacksmith: http://www.blacksmithstoves.ie/product-artisan.html
    I think it's around €700

This is the Aarrow:
    http://www.stovecentre.ie/product.php?id_product=304

No vested interest?

ROFLMAO at least the Irish suppliers / installers are up front (most of them anyway).

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean? I just meant stove fan isn't advising people for the prospect of getting business, but just as it seems to be his hobby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sooty_soupy

My only experience with Aarrow was when a stratford arrived damaged from them. I was told to continue installing it and they would send a replacement door, which mean't I could continue with the bulk of the work involving plumbing, breaking out, flue etc. After 12 weeks of phone calls waiting for that bloody door, they told me they were waiting for a container coming in from China with the doors. NEVER AGAIN WILL I DEAL WITH COMPANY…customer service stinks….and that was to a trade customer.

You need to be very careful with Pig Iron stoves. Pig Iron is re-smelted waste metal which is then "cast" into moulds to form plates. If you think you are buying cast iron for the prices you are quoting, you are sadly delusional. Now lets look at the downside of Pig Iron. All the impurities in this material cause the product to break down very quickly. Have a look at the open fire grate, and when you realise it only lasted a year or so, you are starting to realise what pig iron is. Have a look at stately homes or period property and the fireplaces are still original, and the penny drops. Industrial revolution, iron ore from the ground, and then cast iron made to last. Pig Iron also has a problem where heat expands and contracts the metal at different rates, so enamel coatings flake and crack…and I wonder how many people have this very same issue and are reading this and have put two and two together now.

The other issue I have with cast stoves is the construction. Think about 6 plates bolted together from the inside and sealed with fire cement. Once the cement dries, crumbles and turns to dust, you have a box that leaks air and burns fuel uncontrollably…burning components out and producing excessive heat. A well constructed steel stove can be welded, and therefore is more airtight, controllable and long term much more efficient. You will pay more for a good stove, but they burn less fuel, and can stay in all night more successfully.

If you are looking for recommendations for stoves, Charnwood are made in the Isle of Wight, our Clearviews are made in Shropshire, then you have Danish Morso and perhaps Norwegian Jotul. All good contenders for being value for money. They are not cheap. General rule of thumb is that if you are paying less than a grand you are middle of the road, less than £500 and your scraping the bottom of the barrel. Remember "a good job is not often cheap and a cheap job is rarely good"

Do yourself a favour. Have a look at stove construction, if it feel loose and tinny, like the controls of an Aarrow stratford, or has fire cement joints like the Blacksmith, or tiger stoves to name a couple, then think long and hard about throwing your money about.

Irony (pardon the pun) is buying a cheap stove, the backside out of it in three or four years if you're lucky, then the scrap yard ships it to China, to come back to us again as another cheap import, and this is in the name of greener way of heating your home.

I won't sell foreign stoves, and after 23 years as a registered chimney technician working with every kind of stove you can imagine, I have found that Clearview or perhaps Charnwood have the edge for British construction. I want to fit and forget for my clients, unless they want a second stove ;-)

Final point….before you buy your chosen stove…make sure you see it burning. Look for the controllability, heat output, and if the glass is staying as clean as the airwash systems tell you it will in the brochure. Hardware shops, building supplies, plumbing counters are all selling you the brochure images, but if they were so confident they would be using them in the shop so you could see how "good" they were.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for that sooty. I was just about to post saying it looks like Aarrow is the top choice. Aarrow stoves are getting very good reviews on whatstove.co.uk so it's unfortunate to hear of your bad experience... maybe just a once off and maybe wouldn't be a problem if it arrived in good shape in the first place? Or do you still think the build quality isn't good and will suffer from the pig iron/concrete crumbling you mention? This is contradictory to what Stove Fan was suggesting as he seemed to suggest Aarrow a few times...

One of the higher rated inset stoves seems to be the woodwarm fireview 4kw here: http://www.whatstove.co.uk/woodwarm-stoves/woodwarm-fireview-4kw-inset-stove.html

I just had a look at the clearview brand on whatstove.co.uk and they do indeed get brilliant ratings, and a LOT of them too, however they appear to be made from steel and not cast iron? Were you saying Cast Iron is better than steel? I'm a little confused...

There doesn't seem to be a "slot in" type inset stove from them but if you know of any, could you give me a price on supply and fit of two suitable stoves for the above applications please?

The concept of an inset stove is to fit into a confined space as it doesn't need as much airflow around the body of the stove, because convection pulls cold air in from the room under the stove, heats it and projects this warmed air through vents above the door. A front face unit across a fireplace opening doesn't perform as well, and in my experience, can be counter productive as the rope seals tend to weaken, and then it is like holding a sheet of newspaper across the opening of an open fire to get it lit, and all hell breaks loose with the fuel consumption.

Fitting a stove in front of a fireplace is dodgy territory if you get it wrong. I have seen website from stove men showing installations that just fly in the fact of fire regulations so be careful with that. Remember that the maximum distance a flue can safely travel horizontally is 6" before it rises into the flue, should have a t section below rather than a 90 degree bend, and if you ar sitting the stove in front of a fireplace, then timber surrounds need to be 18" minimum away from the stove, and the hearth will normally need to be extended. 9" of hearth minimum in from of the stove of non combustible material, to make sure your insurance doesn't laugh and walk away, but preferably the hearth should at least cover the swing of the door for obvious reasons.

I think you need to accept there is going to be construction work. Discuss it with the landlord and if you fit something like a cassette stove, or an inset like the Clearview Inset we have, then when it comes to taking it out, it is a simple matter of replacing the fireback and reverting it back to an open fire. We are doing this for people all over the North.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

Just got a whole lot more confusing :D

So you're saying there's no real reliable solution without having to do SOME building work?

What would be the main disadvantages/risks of installing the likes of a "Slot in" inset stove like the woodwarm/aarrow inset 4/5kw units and what would be the advantages to doing it properly or going for a different type stove? If the stove costs me 700eur and saves me 800eur over 3 years would it not be worth it?

Was just having another read around and from what I've read on clearview stoves, they certainly seem to be top of the range. Stove Fan highly recommends them too but also suggests a woodwarm inset stove to be just as good as the clearview inset but beats it on price.

I don't want to have to buy spares and parts frequently so would prefer get a high quality make and just do the ground work in terms of research etc once. So I think it might be best to just go with the higher quality stove.

Just rang sooty soupy's shop there (https://plus.google.com/104455838598826313706/about?hl=en) and was given a price of

£1,445 for the clearview vision inset alone. This would be the one for the rented accommodation.

The price for the Stove 1 requested in the OP would be £1768 + £366 for the boiler + £105 for the air attachments I think it was?

I've seen the clearview stated as the Rolls Royce of stoves but that's a good chunk of money and then there'd be installation, flue attachments etc on top aswell.

The woodwarm 4k inset is £1090 here: http://www.hot-stoves.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?category=2754

I see clearview stoves are actually available from stovecentre.ie too.

I received an email from the stove man suggesting that for Stove 1 mentioned in the OP, it may be counter productive getting a freestanding stove considering the boiler. That the stove may cost about 1,500eur and fitting about 1,200eur with the building work required and that to heat the boiler I'd be burning as much fuel as in the open fire so it would take 20 years for the stove to pay for itself. A boru doras fire door was suggested instead.

Difference between woodworm and Clearview is the fact that Clearview have a double glazed unit to ensure the glass stays clean, so forget all the airwash talk that can be a bit hit and miss. Clearview do exactly what they say on the box ;-)

The Clearview stoves have been around for nearly 30 years and are tried and tested, where as Woodwarm are a relative new comer to the market…make of that what you want…but a well respected, established company with a reputation to boot wins it for me. Also the Clearview has a very clever door and hinge system to ensure it make the unit airtight. On this basis, you will be more in control of the oxygen getting into the firebox, and therefore will be in control of fuel consumption a long time after the other stoves are leaking air into the burn chamber like a sieve.

Personally I try to stay away from central heating stoves. You will find fuel consumption is astronomical to try to heat radiators, hot water AND give you radiant heat, (which incidentally is the last thing you get) Open fires have virtually no controllability so getting hot water is beneficial because you are burning the volume of fuel anyway. A good quality stove like the Charnwood or Clearview are designed to be more controllable so radiant heat in a well insulated house is better than carrying a wood supply constantly to the stove to do the work behind the scenes first.

Anyone will sell you a box out there. Remember that. If you are asking for radiators they will be rubbing their hands and laughing all the way to the bank after selling you a big feck off (thanks Mrs Brown) stove that can prove to be an expensive mistake if you don't have a forest to feed the bloody thing. Our Vision 500 stove last night stayed in all night on 2 good sized Ash logs from 11pm until 8.30 this morning, and when we were burning it yesterday evening while watching TV, it went through 6 logs from about 5pm to 11pm. The proof is in the pudding, and you'll hear that from any of the stove review people that have invested in a Clearview heating system.

You get what you pay for.

There are only two authorised agents in Ireland for Clearview stoves so just a word of caution for anyone buying from elsewhere. If you have warranty issues, if it wasn't bought from Joe at Bells in Dublin, or ourselves in the North, you will be returning the stove back to Shropshire if you have any issues with the unit. You shouldn't have any, but you might be the unlucky one. At least bought from an authorised agent you know you are getting the correct advice first, using the correct components for installation and will get the service Clearview expect, rather than buying from a box mover that couldn't care less how it is fitted, or how well it performs. Some of us have a bit more pride in how we conduct ourselves in business than just selling a commodity.

Be careful….it's a jungle of cast iron, pig iron and steel out there. LOL

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for that sooty! I spoke to Joe in Bells today and he was very helpful and explained things to me very well. His price, although a good bit dearer than the warmwood, may be worth the extra if it means I'll be getting one of the best available and it will be more efficient in the long run. Unfortunately I learned that to make the most of the stove, I'd also need to invest in flexible flue pipe, adding another few hundred to the cost. Given the fact it's a rental property, maybe this can be avoided at the sacrifice of not getting such a high efficiency. I've also been told from the stove man "You will not be able to fit a clearview inset into that fireplace
    without removing the fireback, and cutting the brass frame and fire place
    to suit.
    The fireplace would not be able to go back to an open fire if the stove
    was removed" :( This isn't what I wanted to hear for the rental property stove!

I'm very surprised, and correct me if this isn't what you mean, that I'm now being advised against fitting a stove for Stove 1, with the backboiler. I though the stove would be a much better solution for both heating the backboiler and radiators throughout the house, while giving ample heat to the room it's in and also reducing fuel bills. Coal is the choice of fuel for that house, so what you and the stove man are saying, is that it'd be just as economical to leave things as they are as the open fire would be heating the backboiler, thus distributing heat to the radiators to warm the whole house, just as good as a stove could, if not better? So why would anyone with a backboiler get a stove then?

The Stove Man also suggested about getting the boru doras fire door which would allow more control over the fire burning.

So to summarise.

Stove 1 (Back boiler)
    Suggested to not bother with stove at all due to backboiler and radiator requirement. Doras firedoor suggested to control burn level of open fire.

Stove 2 (tenant)
    Clearview looks to be the clear winner in terms of a quality inset stove, however it may not be possible to install without building work and to get the full efficiency it offers, a flexible flue liner would be required at a high additional cost.

Advertisement