Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick - Is it Rough?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Malla

thats now what they call it lack of security..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I never found Limerick as rough as it's the repuation it has.
    Actually, I've always found people much friendlier there and in that side of the country in general.
    Example being a while back I was stopped over in The Crescent SC for a bite to eat and chatted away to a lovely older couple. Lived in Dublin and Kilkenny and I find people can be much more stand-offish, this would never happen in Dublin I don't think. There's something very honest and down to earth about Limerick. Defo not as rough as it's reputation. There's some smaller towns around the country I'd be far more wary of, some of them not so far from Limerick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

We move in different circles....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Limerick is a grand spot. It's not that rough. I would muck prefer to walk down O'Connell st in limk than in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Judging by other peoples posts there are a lot of delusions going on in here.
    One half seem to be trying to make it sound like an enchanted forest, while the other a battlefield in the middle east.

Its just a city, no better or worse than any other. Sure it has some issues, show me a city that doesnt.

Great post - Would make a great title for someone's Autobiography - "How I survived the Enchanted Forest - A life in Limwreck" :D

I have to make the point that I know so many of the "Ah sure Limwreck is grand, I've never seen any trouble...." people become instant converts as soon as they get assaulted, house robbed, car set alight on the crest of Southill etc.

Also it carries absolutely zero weight if you've been in Limwreck a whole 10 days, 6 hours and 20 minutes since moving here for work/college/stupidity and declare the place to be wonderful, sterile and safe cause you've never seen bit of trouble blah, blah picked up a bargain in Brown Thomas yada yada, drank a warm Heino in Thomond Park, waffle, waffle.

- The rest of ye are just doing what you instinctively feel to be the right thing - standing up for your City and having pride of place, I understand it and I don't especially blame ye for your loyalty - Hopefully someday we'll have a Limerick to be proud of, for now I'd prefer to see real and actual efforts made to change and improve what we have as unfortunately the people who should be fixing Limerick are just crooked incompetents who are too busy filling their own pockets to even see how obviously they are failing us.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

On a side note, I heard the best threat I've ever heard in limerick in town today "shup you or ill blow yur nana's head off" classic

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MOD EDIT: NOT HELPFUL

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MOD WARNING

FLAMING, CALLING A PERSON A TROLL, BACKSEAT MODDING, AND USING THE PUBLIC FORUM TO SAY THAT YOU HAVE REPORTED A POST ARE ALL FROWNED UPON.

IF A POST IS SUCH THAT ONE FEELS THE NEED TO REPORT IT, THEN DO SO WITHOUT PASSING COMMENT ON THE FACT.

ALSO IF ONE WISHES TO TAKE SOME KIND OF HIGHER MORAL GROUND, THEN TRY NOT TO DO SO AFTER RECEIVING FIVE BANS AND AN INFRACTION ON THE SAME DAY.

CONSIDER THIS AN OPEN WARNING TO ALL INVOLVED. REPEAT OFFENCES WILL SEE INFRACTIONS OR BANS FOLLOW.

LET'S KEEP IT CIVIL FOLKS, AND IF THERE IS SOMETHING YOU DISAGREE WITH, THEN ATTACK THE POST RATHER THAN THE POSTER.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mod note #1: you forgot to hit BOLD

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

How long has he been waiting to post that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

This has been an interesting and surprising thread to read so far. I'm a Laois man living in Limerick for the past 20 years. I came to college here and never left. I've seen Limerick grow from the grey miserable place in the early 90's to it's prime in the early 2000's to it's slow demise again in the past few years.

In that time too I've gone from student, to working partier to family man and so my perspective has changed throughout all that time. I have to say I must be one of the lucky ones. I've never seen trouble in the city. I've never seen fights, although I do recall the trouble outside supermacs in the 90s.

When I came here first, you could see a bad element around town, but as the town prospered and with bouncers on every door of every pub in town not allowing in anyone unless they were dressed well, trouble seemed to be kept to a minimum. It always impressed me how well dressed folks were when going out in Limerick in the late 90's. Better than all the other cities at the time. I used to go out a lot in those days and never had trouble. Once you were smart and didn't venture the streets alone.

I don't go out in town as much, but when I do, I taxi straight to the pub, don't walk around much and have a good time.

I love Limerick. A lot. I love the people, I love where I live. I feel safer here than I do when I'm out in Dublin or Cork. Galway maybe an exception. Although there's trouble here, you can avoid it.

I would highly recommend moving to Limerick for UL. It's a wonderful university in a great part of town. The trouble is blown out of proportion and I'm sure you'll have the same experience elsewhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Post of the year there AlanD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I've ben living in Limerick for 9 years now. Came down from N.Ireland and as with Alan, I never left. I've lived everywhere from Raheen, Castletroy, Annacotty, Dublin road and I've lived in city center apartments on 3 seperate occasions. I currently live just off Henry Street and it's nothing but pleasant, I would be walking around town at least a few times per week and out in the pubs at least once a week. I have never had any sort of bother from any kind of low life at all.

I can hardly say the same from Dublin or even where I come from in the North. I'm up North at the moment, driving tonight and the road was blocked by masked thugs hurling stones. When is the last time you seen that in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

conquences - fireman still seriously injuried........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

AlanD wrote: »
    This has been an interesting and surprising thread to read so far. I'm a Laois man living in Limerick for the past 20 years. I came to college here and never left. I've seen Limerick grow from the grey miserable place in the early 90's to it's prime in the early 2000's to it's slow demise again in the past few years.

In that time too I've gone from student, to working partier to family man and so my perspective has changed throughout all that time. I have to say I must be one of the lucky ones. I've never seen trouble in the city. I've never seen fights, although I do recall the trouble outside supermacs in the 90s.

When I came here first, you could see a bad element around town, but as the town prospered and with bouncers on every door of every pub in town not allowing in anyone unless they were dressed well, trouble seemed to be kept to a minimum. It always impressed me how well dressed folks were when going out in Limerick in the late 90's. Better than all the other cities at the time. I used to go out a lot in those days and never had trouble. Once you were smart and didn't venture the streets alone.

I don't go out in town as much, but when I do, I taxi straight to the pub, don't walk around much and have a good time.

I love Limerick. A lot. I love the people, I love where I live. I feel safer here than I do when I'm out in Dublin or Cork. Galway maybe an exception. Although there's trouble here, you can avoid it.

I would highly recommend moving to Limerick for UL. It's a wonderful university in a great part of town. The trouble is blown out of proportion and I'm sure you'll have the same experience elsewhere in the country.

Fair play man..couldnt have put it better myself!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Relevant

http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/why-i-ll-never-forget-my-time-in-limerick-1-4585357
    My first memory of Limerick is a good one. I went to the supermarket to buy some basics for my four-month stay here, after arriving from Hungary, the heart of Europe. Only seconds after reaching the shop I found that I didn’t have a one euro coin for the trolley, so I went inside with the hope of finding someone who had change for my many, many cents. A middle-aged woman, there with her daughter, helped me out but she didn’t take my cents in return. She said with a smile: “It’s okay, take it! I don’t need it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Living here in Limerick since 2001, originally from Offaly.I have lived everywhere from Caherdavin to Corbally to the City Centre, currently now in Annacotty. I came here originally for college and never left. The only trouble I ever seen was in the various pubs I worked in while in college (you get that everywhere though)

Ye have a great city here, my only wish is that people would appreciate that a bit more.

Advertisement