Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick - Is it Rough?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Limerick the sporting capital of Ireland bit always cracks me up.

I once questioned this myself, in my opinion Cork is the most successful county in the country when it comes to sport, but having lived there I did notice that people stick to their own sports more than they do in Limerick, for instance if you follow LOI you don't follow rugby or hurling etc, whereas in Limerick people have no such issue.

It is not unusual, in fact it is the norm that people follow/play a number of different sports here, which is why we compete across all major sports, not successfully apart from rugby admittedly, but we do have a small population compared to Cork ( pop 500,000 ) Dublin ( 1million + ) Galway (220,000) even Tipperary (160,000) Limerick ( 180,000)

There is also huge participation across the periphery sports, golf, hockey, swimming, horse racing, we pride ourselves in accommodating the participation of people with all abilities whatever their circumstances

Sport in this city crosses all socio economic backrounds

This city plays has played host to several internationals over the last 4/5 years, we have also seen the best golfers in the world, there are numerous foreign rugby clubs who use our facilities for training purposes

We have on three separate occasions for two separate sports drawn crowds of over 50,000 to watch three different finals on our main street

We have the best sporting infrastructure outside of Dublin, for a city of approx 100,000 people we have a state of the art rugby stadium, a 50,000 capacity GAA stadium, a soon to be built all seater football stadium, a state of the art horse racing facility, a new greyhound stadium, LIT are beginning work on a new training facility which will every bit as impressive as the already impressive facility in UL

Tell me, how does your county compare to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

I have been mugged, my house has been broken into 3 times, my car has been broken into twice, had the windshield broken, wind mirrors broken, been yelled at on the street, have witnessed fights and general craziness. One of my friends lost his eye when a stranger decided to jump him and bash his head off a window. Despite all this I don't think Limerick is any worse than anywhere else, though it does have many many problems. (and I'm a nobody who just happened to live in the city centre for years)

That is AWFUL I am so sorry to hear that. That said, and I think you would agree, I really don't think this should put the OP off. UL is outside the city, and I would image very few students going to UL stay in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

phill106 wrote: »
    No, crime happens everywhere. I wouldn't consider limerick rougher then any other city.

Oooooh - Are we playing the whitewashing game again?

Limerick is a great place where nothing bad ever happens to anyone, not ever.

As is traditional on here, I blame the media who are constantly reporting on the constant anti-social behaviour, assaults, stabbings, robberies, hovering street scum, the dereliction of the half-empty city centre, lack of public services, amenities, employment opportunities, transport system, recreational outlets and in an unfortunate compounding irony, a police force.

We do not even need the regeneration project which is currently drifting along botched and backwards at an approximate cost of €500K every 20 minutes.

- Personally if I was an employer I'd doubt the faculties and acuity of any student/graduate who knowingly opted into our mess.

Stop making excuses for Limerick people - the first step in resolving any problem is to recognise and accept its existence.

By denying Limericks problems exist you are also providing undeserved cover, excuses and sham respectability for our politicians, local governance and our redundant police force who will just take your lies as approval and continue to fail us all while further lining their pockets......

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

Raiser wrote: »

As is traditional on here, I blame the media who are constantly reporting on the constant anti-social behaviour, assaults, stabbings, robberies, hovering street scum, the dereliction of the half-empty city centre, lack of public services, amenities, employment opportunities, transport system, recreational outlets and in an unfortunate compounding irony, a police force.

We do not even need the regeneration project which is currently drifting along botched and backwards at an approximate cost of €500K every 20 minutes.

- Personally if I was an employer I'd doubt the faculties and acuity of any student/graduate who knowingly opted into our mess.

Stop making excuses for Limerick people - the first step in resolving any problem is to recognise and accept its existence.

By denying Limericks problems exist you are also providing undeserved cover, excuses and sham respectability for our politicians, local governance and our redundant police force who will just take your lies as approval and continue to fail us all while further lining their pockets......

tl;dr? Well if you want a shorter version just look at Raiser's location and you'll get the idea of this post!!!!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Limerick City is horrible. Crawling with scumbags. They don't go near ordinary people from my own experience but they are an eyesore which adds to the urban decay of the city.

However when you overlook these types you will find some of the nicest people in Ireland.

I only wish we had the residents of a different city so that we could become more of a community because that is what I believe is severely lacking at the moment and as a result Limerick has become a city with nothing to hold on to apart from sport.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Culleeo wrote: »
    You've led a fairly sheltered life if you've never seen a fight in a nightclub or on the streets of Limerick. I don't go around trying to spot scum either, they're there to be seen.
    You must be a tough man if you've never felt intimidated, you are a bouncer though so I see where that toughness comes from :rolleyes:

Sorry but if you let little scumbags intimidate you then that's an issue you need to look at for your own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Yeah Limerick is full of crime!! Can't brush your teeth without someone popping out of the back of your toilet and stabbing you to death! Happened me at least 4 times this month alone!

:pac::rolleyes:

In reality I have never ever really come across any major crime in my adventures in Limerick since I was born, raised and educated here in the city center.

Spent most of my teenage years around the town and parks and would have no problem letting any of my own kids do the same if I had them. You can't tar a whole city because of a minority.

Everywhere has it's crime. Just today in Dublin a poor man was pushed under a bus by two anonymous thugs and decapitated. Can't remember anything as gruesome as that happening in Limerick in the last few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

redappple wrote: »
    That is AWFUL I am so sorry to hear that. That said, and I think you would agree, I really don't think this should put the OP off. UL is outside the city, and I would image very few students going to UL stay in the city centre.

Exactly, it shouldn't put anyone off, my experiences are just that, my experiences. Raiser is right trying to whitewash over it is not helping us. I think Limerick is grand, well I wouldn't live here if I didn't. I've been mugged in Venice too and had my car smashed in Florida. Perhaps I've just got crap luck *shrug* I hated living in Holland though, hated it with a passion!
    Everywhere has it's flaws and some humans are a$$holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Well move to Dublin so! Let's see how you like there compared to here! The main streets in Limerick are relatively free of knackers. I'm not going to acknowledge a problem that doesn't exist. Are you trying to tell me that Galway and Dublin are safer than Limerick? Pull your head out of your arse. If you don't like it then leave. Could do with less of your type around here. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I've never been to any city as bad as Limerick. The day I finish college and am able to get out of here (hopefully) will be one of the happiest days of my life. This city is riddled with scum and there is no improvement in sight.

I hate saying it as I was always defending the city in years gone past. But in the last year what Ive seen around me here has really changed my view on it. Just last week walking up through town with Junkies routing through bins and heroin addicts coming up asking me for money or to go buy them anything with tin foil!

Theres a serious serious drug issue in Limerick and it has gotten noticeably worse. I know I'll be crucified for my view here but as someone born and raised here I wouldn't recommend anyone to even visit the place never mind move here.

And c'mon now people less of the whole it happens in every city. You've to look at this in regards to the population.. for which Limerick is in a sorry state of affairs. Would love for the place to turn around somehow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Not what I said at all, which is odd as you quoted it. I think it is neither better or worst then other cities. I never said nothing bad happens here at all. Please leave your high horse....outside...

Wow...that is some level of arrogance you reached there...

So not only are you correct about everything the rest of us are all guilty of purposely distorting the truth...

I think you'll find that nobody stated that there was no crime here, what people have mentioned is their experience of living here, which by the way is the same as mine.

Just take this week, 4 people murdered in Dublin, in one week, there hasn't been 4 people murdered in Limerick City in 3 years, but yet the majority of people in this country would be unaware of that difference.

People like you do this city as much harm as those little "scumbags" you constantly refer to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tell me Raiser, honestly, how you still haven't got bored of trolling this forum. You've been on the wind-up for about 8 years now. You've seen 6 or 7 different Midwest mods come and go and you've pissed off every one of them at one stage or another. Do you really have to keep posting like this? I can appreciate a good gimmick poster, but your cynicism tends to satirise both sides of every argument, so you end up pleasing nobody. What's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I work in town and go in most weekends. I have never seen anything like what you are describing. There are a lot of junkies around the whole of town, but they aren't causing trouble at all. Around Catherine St. and streets off that, there are a few knackers alright, bit I've never seen them causing trouble. Dublin is FAR worse. I really dislike Mallow St/Parnell St/ and some of Catherine St., but apart from that it's grand.

Granted the city centre isn't the best, but you are portraying it in a far more negative light than what actually goes on.
    Paris is considered one of the nicest cities in the world and there are parts of it that I've been to that make Mallow St. look like heaven!

How can you compare a city with a population of 1.8m people to a city with a population of 90k?

Two of Dublin's biggest suburbs, Tallaght & Blanchardstown, have populations of 70k each and I'd feel safer walking around either of them at night then certain parts of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Raekwon wrote: »

How can you compare a city with a population of 1.8m people to a city with a population of 90k?

Two of Dublin's biggest suburbs, Tallaght & Blanchardstown, have populations of 70k each and I'd feel safer walking around either of them at night then certain parts of Limerick.

The key words in your post are 'parts of', of course it would be stupid to walk into St Mary's park, Hyde road, Moyross or southhill at night. But on the whole unless you go looking for trouble, you won't find it in the city or the nicer suburbs. Just like any city in the world.

OP limerick is no worse or no more safe than any city. Cities are places where there can be violent crime. Your options are, live in fear and miss out on attending a fantastic university with unreal facilities because you listened to some negative stories. Or get over yourself and take a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Raekwon wrote: »

Really? Tallaght? What a sh!tbox of a place. Limerick is far safer from my experience. Don't forget I've lived in both so I'm well able to make a judgement here.

In the last 7/8years I've had more hassle on the DART line near Booterstown from a load of D4 daddy's boys than from knackers in Limerick.

People are trying to say that Limerick is rough, it's only rough if you're one of the knackers yourself and fighting with them! 99.9% of normal people don't get any hassle.

IF a place doesn't look the best, it doesn't mean it's rough, and in the heart of the city between roches st and the end of patrick st. the city has come along leaps and bounds in recent times. I'd love to send back 15 years and see what you think then!

Limerick is grand, it still needs improvements but it's getting there! No thanks to people like you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

source wrote: »
    The key words in your post are 'parts of', of course it would be stupid to walk into St Mary's park, Hyde road, Moyross or southhill at night. But on the whole unless you go looking for trouble, you won't find it in the city or the nicer suburbs. Just like any city in the world.

I only posted in this thread because several posters immediately jumped on the defensive and compared Limerick to Dublin which is ridiculous when you compare the populations.

Why not use comparisons of similar sized cities like Galway or Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Tell me Raiser, honestly, how you still haven't got bored of trolling this forum. You've been on the wind-up for about 8 years now. You've seen 6 or 7 different Midwest mods come and go and you've pissed off every one of them at one stage or another. Do you really have to keep posting like this? I can appreciate a good gimmick poster, but your cynicism tends to satirise both sides of every argument, so you end up pleasing nobody. What's the story?

Was that meant to be a PM? Sorry for your angst - Nobody managed to contradict my post or put forward a single valid supporting argument - they just came back with indignant insults and name calling.

You're entitled to your opinion but there's a difference between trolling and having an opinion contrary to your own/going against the grain - but you'll recognise this as a seasoned mod I know.

Also I would love to see Limericks issues faced up to and addressed - Thats the bit everyone seems to have missed.

For the record I am not a regular on here any more since, in my opinion, it became so cliquish, you'll have an idea of the time-frame yourself I'm sure.

- I'll wait it out though, I've seen countless Mods grow bored of their whims and quit this forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

As someone who lived in Limerick for 10 years between Uni and work I never considered it to be an unsafe place. That is not to say it doesn't have serious issues.

The basis of these issues is the scum running rampant. Thankfully they are mostly confined to their own areas of the city and fight amongst each other for the most part. Security in the better bars and clubs in the cities is good so they don't tend to interfere with socialising for example.

Their presence on the streets is unsightly however and they make people feel uncomfortable, even though you are unlikely to be in much danger.

To summarise OP, you should have no more or less fear about moving to Limerick then you would if moving to any other city in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dangerous place Limerick. Full of drifters, overlords and men from Clare.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd have no more problem walking home from Limerick city centre than Cork city centre at 3 in the morning (I.e I do both regularly with no issues - a load of knackers once took the piss out of me in Limerick, but that was about it)

By international, or even Irish standards, Limerick is a safe place.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I find it bizarre how so many posters from Limerick are trashing their own city on here. Rarely do I meet people from Galway or Cork slating their cities..quite the opposite actually. The reality is we all know Limerick has rough areas, Moyross, Southill etc. Those areas should not represent all of Limerick city, same goes for places like Mayfield and Knocknaheeny don't represent Cork city and how Ballymun and Coolock don't represent all of Dublin. I've been in and out of Limerick city all my life and I've never been to Moyross so what in Gods name would take the OP to these areas. Castletroy where UL is located is a big area completely separate from any rough parts of Limerick. Limerick city centre and the majority of its suburbs are perfectly safe and if you don't feel safe in Castletroy and if people on here feel nervous in Limerick city centre then don't visit London, Manchester, Liverpool or any other city for that matter. It's cringeworthy how people are insinuating how Limerick is almost comparable to cities in South Africa and South America. Facts speak for themselves..when was the last time an innocent person walking around the city centre minding their own business was murdered or stabbed in Limerick city centre?I have no recollection of this happening. I don't blame the OP for this question which to most of us seems ridiculous but unfortunately this is evidence that in 2012 all of Limerick city is still burdened with the reputation caused by the media for tarnishing all of Limerick city for about 90% of incidences caused by criminals occurring in about three rough areas in the outskirts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Is it still the sh!thole that it was when I happily left it to a civilised part of this world?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 chubchub

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    I've never been to any city as bad as Limerick. The day I finish college and am able to get out of here (hopefully) will be one of the happiest days of my life. This city is riddled with scum and there is no improvement in sight.

I hate saying it as I was always defending the city in years gone past. But in the last year what Ive seen around me here has really changed my view on it. Just last week walking up through town with Junkies routing through bins and heroin addicts coming up asking me for money or to go buy them anything with tin foil!

Theres a serious serious drug issue in Limerick and it has gotten noticeably worse. I know I'll be crucified for my view here but as someone born and raised here I wouldn't recommend anyone to even visit the place never mind move here.

And c'mon now people less of the whole it happens in every city. You've to look at this in regards to the population.. for which Limerick is in a sorry state of affairs. Would love for the place to turn around somehow!

I honestly think that's a really naive statement if you think drugs issues are confined to limericks alone.

I have been in limericks city couple times over last few months and believe me in comparison to living in Dublin city centre now it's a pleasure.

The amount of junkies is twenty fold up here and you just have to ignore their abuse when being hassles for money and god knows what else they want. It is not an exaggeration to say I see a fight every day up here on why home from work. The only thing that shocks me unfortunately about this bus incident other day is it hasn't happened sooner.

Every city in Ireland is now riddled in drugs and city centres especially will always be worse. In terms of crime burglary seems to be the most common in limerick. Dublin now seems to be where limericks was at a dew years ago with all the murders and crimes.I have friends in several city even Waterford who someplace awash with drugs and scrum. It's a way of city life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I lived in Dublin for 6 months and I found it far worse.
    phill106 wrote: »
    Case in point, that Dublin gang guy shot the other day. Sky news made a reference to Limerick.
    seachto7 wrote: »
    Still, once you stray off O Connell street, be wide and have a bit of cop on. I'd be the same in Dublin, or Cork, or anywhere else...
    Culleeo wrote: »
    If you go to any city in Ireland, you won't see half as many scumbags roaming the streets, bar maybe Dublin.
    Dublin is FAR worse.
    Limericks wrote: »
    Everywhere has it's crime. Just today in Dublin a poor man was pushed under a bus by two anonymous thugs and decapitated. Can't remember anything as gruesome as that happening in Limerick in the last few years?
    Well move to Dublin so! Let's see how you like there compared to here!.
    Just take this week, 4 people murdered in Dublin, in one week, there hasn't been 4 people murdered in Limerick City in 3 years, but yet the majority of people in this country would be unaware of that difference.
    chubchub wrote: »
    I have been in limericks city couple times over last few months and believe me in comparison to living in Dublin city centre now it's a pleasure.

Lots of posters seem to be totally obsessed with Dublin's problems and are in complete denial about Limerick's problems.

As someone already pointed out you cannot compare them like for like considering the size of each city.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it still the sh!thole that it was when I happily left it to a civilised part of this world?

No, it's actually improved vastly since you left. :p

Curious though, you only seem to come out of the woodwork and post here when there is something negative to say about the place. If you hate the place that much why bother returning to this forum?

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Lots of posters seem to be totally obsessed with Dublin's problems and are in complete denial about Limerick's problems.

As someone already pointed out you cannot compare them like for like considering the size of each city.

Nobody is in denial about Limericks problems ( that would be like me saying Dublin people are in denial about their problems ), the reason people here are mentioning Dublin is because by virtue of the fact that you are by far the biggest ( and arguably the only ) city in this country you also have by far the biggest crime problem, but yet Dublin does not receive the same treatment from a media point of view, I actually believe that Dublin is a fine/beautiful city and the crime coverage is gets (or doesn't get ) is fully justified, as by any standards it is a safe city.

The problem Limerick people have is that we are not extended the same treatment, the vast majority of national stories are of a negative nature despite those same negative issues existing in most other Irish urban areas, ie only a few short weeks ago Prime Time (yet again) had a convicted offender from Limerick on (I am not defending the convict nor I am offering an opinion on his story ), when do you see 20mins of Primetime given to convicts from other cities, do they not exist there...according to the crime stats they most certainly do.

It is this continuing negative press that has a very real impact on our lives, a Limerick person cannot travel any where in the english speaking world without being on the receiving end of an insult, despite this being (like Dublin) a very safe city by any standards

The was one year where our murder rate was compared very negatively with every other major city in Europe cities like London/Dublin/Barcelona etc etc...by whom...you guessed the Irish press...

I hope this helps you understand when you hear of Limerick people's defence of our city....it is not meant to be an insult to Dublin or it's people, in fact nobody knows better than Limerick people how hurtful/false/damaging those insults are

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

London has a population of 8 or 9 times that of Dublin yet you don't see on the news every week as many reported gangland related murders in recent times as Dublin so I don't buy into this argument that it is more accepting in Dublin because it has a higher population density. That's a convenient excuss and appears denial is not just limited to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

chubchub wrote: »
    I honestly think that's a really naive statement if you think drugs issues are confined to limericks alone.

The amount of junkies is twenty fold up here and you just have to ignore their abuse when being hassles for money and god knows what else they want. It is not an exaggeration to say I see a fight every day up here on why home from work. The only thing that shocks me unfortunately about this bus incident other day is it hasn't happened sooner.

Every city in Ireland is now riddled in drugs and city centres especially will always be worse. In terms of crime burglary seems to be the most common in limerick. Dublin now seems to be where limericks was at a dew years ago with all the murders and crimes.I have friends in several city even Waterford who someplace awash with drugs and scrum. It's a way of city life now.
    It's not naive at all considering I never claimed it's a Limerick only issue. But Limerick does have a serious drug problem which is getting worse. Anyone with a a pair of eyes can see that. Yeah every other Irish city has its scumbags and addicts but you don't half see as many of them around as you do in Limerick. And as someone whos worked in the centre of town and had to put up with these scumbags on a daily and nightly basis I'm pretty sure I've a good view on Limerick. I've even had a knife pulled out on me twice.. it was by chicken hut after a night out though so I suppose thats null and void :pac:

The fact is Limerick is a small city and it's centre has been infested with low lifes giving the whole place a horrible vibe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bazz26 wrote: »
    London has a population of 8 or 9 times that of Dublin yet you don't see on the news every week as many reported gangland related murders in recent times as Dublin so I don't buy into this argument that it is more accepting in Dublin because it has a higher population density. That's a convenient excuss and appears denial is not just limited to Limerick.

London has far more gangland related killings than Dublin.

Even if killings are taken as a whole, London usually between has between 130 to 200 killings every year.

Gun crime in London was hitting into the 3,000+ incidents per yearin the last few years, that is heading towards an average of ten gun related crimes a day.

You might not see it on the news over here in Ireland, but hardly a day goes by in the London media withouta mention of gandland crime.

Bigger populations does generally mean more crime, and if you were to compare a lot of Irish cities to English cities the difference in the number of crimes would pretty much match up to the difference in population.

Limerick seems to have punched above it's weight in those terms over the past 10 to 15 years, and has had crime rates and killing rates greater than it's population numbers suggest it should have had. It does not mean that Limerick is a warzone of a city for the ordinary joe soap though, but it does suggest that things like having the highest % of social housing, the highest % of unemployment of the major cities, coupled with a very gentle legal system (the latter being a national problem imho) have had a huge impact in giving Limerick disproportionate crime figures at times.

Limerick city has similar anti social problems to other Irish cities and towns, but I think the effect of the anti social stuff is exaggerated thanks to the city itself being pretty run down and sub standard.

Advertisement