Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick - Is it Rough?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

bazz26 wrote: »
    London has a population of 8 or 9 times that of Dublin yet you don't see on the news every week as many reported gangland related murders in recent times as Dublin so I don't buy into this argument that it is more accepting in Dublin because it has a higher population density. That's a convenient excuss and appears denial is not just limited to Limerick.

Comparing Dublin to London is just as utterly pointless as comparing Limerick to Dublin.

Plus if you think that Dublin has higher gang related crime then London then you are totally deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Comparing Dublin to London is just as utterly pointless as comparing Limerick to Dublin.

Plus if you think that Dublin has higher gang related crime then London then you are totally deluded.

Judging by other peoples posts there are a lot of deusions going on in here.
    One half seem to be trying to make it sound like an enchanted forest, while the other a battlefield in the middle east.

Its just a city, no better or worse than any other. Sure it has some issues, show me a city that doesnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

One half seem to be trying to make it sound like an enchanted forest, while the other a battlefield in the middle east.

Its just a city, no better or worse than any other. Sure it has some issues, show me a city that doesnt.

Nobody is making it out to be perfect, everyone knows its far from perfect.

The issue i have with people complaining is that EVERY city all over the world has the exact same problems as Limerick. I cant understand anyone being intimidated by a few kids running around wearing hoodies, i cant understand why anyone is intimidated by drug addicts who can barely say their name, let alone attack you.

If you go out and look for trouble, you will find it. If you walk around with your wits about you, you will have no issues in Limerick. I would have no problem walking any street in the city at any time of the day or night and 90% of the population should really feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Yeah that is true, Limerick seems to really divide peoples opinions in general but I personally don't have a problem with the place, there are good and bad everywhere.

My issue was with all of the "sure were not as bad as Dublin" posts which like I said are totally pointless if you take everything about the two cities into context.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Yes, Limerick is worse in terms of crime than Irelands other major cities.

Ul, however, is a totally different story. UL is in , arguably, Limericks safest and nicest area, Castletroy. As a student living on campus you have little occasion to go into Limerick city save for nights out. UL is as safe as any other campus on Ireland, and I have never heard of any crime other than bicycle theft.

Limerick city Centre is rough enough. People do get randomly attacked, I've seen it happen myself outside the fast food places at night mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 chubchub

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    It's not naive at all considering I never claimed it's a Limerick only issue. But Limerick does have a serious drug problem which is getting worse. Anyone with a a pair of eyes can see that. Yeah every other Irish city has its scumbags and addicts but you don't half see as many of them around as you do in Limerick. And as someone whos worked in the centre of town and had to put up with these scumbags on a daily and nightly basis I'm pretty sure I've a good view on Limerick. I've even had a knife pulled out on me twice.. it was by chicken hut after a night out though so I suppose thats null and void :pac:

The fact is Limerick is a small city and it's centre has been infested with low lifes giving the whole place a horrible vibe[/Quote

Well while I can't argue with your experiences which are **** so I understand where u come from but I would still not think this is a regular occurrence. I have friends and family n the city centre working as well and they have never had experiences like that. Also two of them work with junkies and homeless as social workers and never had any problems either. I suppose a certain element of it is luck and you haven't been for sure. I just still don't think it's any different yo anywhere else unfortunately...

As for the good old chicken hut.. god too many bad memories... all around raw food mainly ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Limeirck is rough, just like any other city. Do I feel safe here more so than any other city with the same problems? Yes I do. Why? I know the city very well, I know how to look after myself, know where to stay away from and I definitely know the heads to avoid. Would a city being rough stop me from going somewhere? No if you think like that you will never step foot outside your door again. I used to say the scum here are in a very small minority, but honestly they must be breeding like rats because these days I honestly think they out number the decent people. Junkies are becoming a massive problem definitely on par with dublin, Ive been to a lot of big cities all over the world and honestly have never seen so many junkies as I have between these two cities. Is Limerick beyond saving? definitely not. It has an awful lot going for it but the recession hasnt helped things especially crime. The Guards and judicial system need to be more strict I work in a shop in town and we were robbed, pressed the panic button, and 1 guard arrived 7 days later asking what was wrong....I mean a week later? if they do this with everything else its no wonder why theres so many scum around to be honest. And if I was to leave Limerick after college it would not be because of scum (you get it all over the place) it would be for a proper job and standard of living which Limerick cant provide a lot of young people with these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Melion wrote: »
    I have never seen a fight in a Limerick nightclub, i have never seen a fight on a Limerick street. I dont go around trying to spot scumbags so i dont see them as much as other people seem to.

I have never felt intimidated at anytime, anywhere in Limerick.
    All I can say is wow. Either you live in a cave or have been very fortunate. Come across plenty of fights in my time.

There are parts of the city that I really like such as Dooradoyle and Castletroy. But I truly can't stand the City Centre, such an air of doom & gloom about it between bordered-up shop fronts, high presence of knackers and lack of decent pubs (the city is crying out for a craft pub/micro brewery). Sad to say its one of the reasons it's why I chose to base myself in Cork, which has its moments too. But I can honestly say its a much more enjoyable city to live in. It's thriving.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

hurpederp wrote: »
    Yes, Limerick is worse in terms of crime than Irelands other major cities.

Ul, however, is a totally different story. UL is in , arguably, Limericks safest and nicest area, Castletroy. As a student living on campus you have little occasion to go into Limerick city save for nights out. UL is as safe as any other campus on Ireland, and I have never heard of any crime other than bicycle theft.

Limerick city Centre is rough enough. People do get randomly attacked, I've seen it happen myself outside the fast food places at night mostly.

Some nasty people live in Castletroy too.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/families-in-tears-as-cousins-get-life-for-drug-debt-murders-3276390.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I work in the city centre and have for the last 8 years. A day hasn't gone by where I haven't had to walk down town as part of my job and I have never had any run ins or troubled with anyone. I work near the train station which is full of junkies, winos and general homeless people, not to mention the scum that just seem to hang around and none have caused me problems. There has been a lot of incidents up that way over the years but as people have said, if you have your wits about you, keep yourself to yourself and get on with things you will have no problems. If you go looking for trouble you can find it very fast. It's the same in any city.

There are even nicer suburbs in the city than Castletroy also as students can be as much hassle as anyone else. There again 99% of Castletroy is harmless and like the city if you go around looking for trouble you will find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I hate this "oh you will only find trouble if you go looking for it" bullsh*t that a lot of people spout. I know loads of genuinely nice, respectful people who would never look for or cause trouble who have been the victims of assault and intimidation while living in Limerick. Of course this goes on in every city but some people go out of their way to pretend that Limerick City doesn't have an unusually high amount of scumbags.

I've been living in "rough" parts of London for the last 6 years and in that time i have not had anyone say as much as boo to me or any of my friends. The same could not be said for my time in Limerick.

I still wouldn't try and put anyone off living there, its home but i refuse to sugar coat it for people either.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

Lived here all my life.. it's a sh1t-hole as previous post stated highest % social housing in country. I don't go into town anymore day or night full of scum-bags walking around with golf sticks, or "walking canes"
    Last year had 4 scums bag try enter my car while stopped at taffiic lights in city centre in broad daylight FFS!... luckily doors were locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Jofspring wrote: »
    I work near the train station which is full of junkies, winos and general homeless people, not to mention the scum that just seem to hang around and none have caused me problems.

Haha I'm glad you don't write for the tourist board, yeah the place is full of miscreants but they don't do me any harm :rolleyes: paints a wonderful picture of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Yeah new comers or tourists to the city when they get off the train don't have the prettiest of views!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Sorry but if you let little scumbags intimidate you then that's an issue you need to look at for your own good.

They must be at fault if they let themselves feel intimidated dontcha know. They brought it on themselves. rolleyes.
    I cant understand anyone being intimidated by a few kids running around wearing hoodies, i cant understand why anyone is intimidated by drug addicts who can barely say their name, let alone attack you.

Its not hard to understand in fairness. I cant understand how you can't understand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Lots of posters seem to be totally obsessed with Dublin's problems and are in complete denial about Limerick's problems.

As someone already pointed out you cannot compare them like for like considering the size of each city.

I used Dublin as a comparison because it's not slated nearly half as much as Limerick despite being far worse for trouble and also because I've only lived in Dublin outside of Limerick.

Do you want me to start slating places I've never lived in now? :rolleyes:

They must be at fault if they let themselves feel intimidated dontcha know. They brought it on themselves. rolleyes.

Absolutely, its the same "people" i see every other day and dont get intimidated by. Why would any self-respecting person be intimidated by the people hanging around outside Penneys/Arthurs Quay/HMV etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Absolutely, its the same "people" i see every other day and dont get intimidated by. Why would any self-respecting person be intimidated by the people hanging around outside Penneys/Arthurs Quay/HMV etc?

That's an asinine statement to make. The elderly, to take one example, should be ridiculed by the likes of you because they feel intimidated? Get a hold of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not a fair comment imho.

I don't get intimidated very easily, but I can see how groups of scrotes might intimidate other folk, and just because that happens it does not make any of those folk any less a self respecting person than I am.

A woman walking on her own, a fella walking on his own, an elderly person, a young person etc., anyone of those could find themselves felling threatened/intimidated/afraid if they felt that they had caught the collective eyes of a group of scrotes.

Just because you or I do not generally get intimidated easily by the city centre scum does not mean the same scum cannot intimidate others and that the same scum are not a potential threat to both those they intimidate and to those they cannot intimidate.

Potential intimidation should always be looked at,imho of course, in terms of it's potential impact on the more vulnerable rather than judging by the standards of the less vulnerable.

My post was obviously not directed at the elderly, it was directed at the people posting in this thread.

I've just re-read my post, apologies because it does look like im giving out about everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

My post was obviously not directed at the elderly, it was directed at the people posting in this thread.

I've just re-read my post, apologies because it does look like im giving out about everyone.

But you probably don't know the people in the thread either.Many of them may feel that they have good reason to be intimidated. Different strokes for different folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

I've always been one to defend Limerick and used to get angry when people slagged it off but not any more. In the last year 6 people I know (friends and family) have been robbed or attacked including myself.

I honestly feel like its a lawless city when it comes to the knackers. They seem to do as the like.

I wouldn't let Limerick being rough put you off. The UL is outside the city and is a nice area. It's the inner city late at night that's roughest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Limk isn't the problem. There is a general upsurge in knackers doing what they like everywhere, especially in the UK/Ire. A whole other thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Theres no deterrant to crime, you can accumulate tens if not hundreds of convictions without ever serving a day in jail??????

This is one part of the american justice system that i envy, three strikes and out & straight to the county jail for minor offences where there may or may not be a judge in waiting....

Legal aid should be givin by newly qualified legal students & crims should have "free legal aid" carried as a bill against them which gets taken from their dole or prision "payments".......... i"ll stop myself there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

I moved to Limerick last year, and tbh i found the city and the people very nice!.. I love it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Malla

it's dangerous,only if you looked for trouble,,stay away from certain places at certain times and you will be grand.

Malla wrote: »
    it's dangerous,only if you looked for trouble,,stay away from certain places at certain times and you will be grand.

This is not true, all the things that I mentioned happened to me were not in dangerous area at dangerous times. My friend lost his eye in a random at of violence at 2pm on a Monday.

But despite all that I mentioned before Limerick is not the worst place I've lived. There are a$$holes everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

So you're saying that the only people in Limerick who get attacked or intimidated are people that are looking for it? That is bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Malla

so,are you saying it's dangerous?
    every place could be dangerous if you looked for troubles..i have been living in here for the last 5 years and i think it's grand.

• Advertisement

so,are you saying it's dangerous?
    every place could be dangerous if you looked for troubles..i have been living in here for the last 5 years and i think it's grand.

Walking down the street is not looking for trouble yet people get their bags/phones stolen all the time (as with any other city) saying it only happens in certain areas at certain times is a fallacy and should be addressed as such.
    Saying that Limerick is an overly dangerous place is also a fallacy but no more so than saying it is safe as long as you stick to this list of rules.

Advertisement