Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching TV bracket to 50mm plasterboard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

The same things a TV could also do? :confused:

Frame fixings are the right job and handiest. Also fanastic for use with curtain rails - especially in a house full of kids who like to swing on the curtains. Our curtains came down twice prior to the frame fixings and never since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

dp639 wrote: »
    Frame fixings are the right job and handiest. Also fanastic for use with curtain rails - especially in a house full of kids who like to swing on the curtains. Our curtains came down twice prior to the frame fixings and never since.

The fook are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

The fook are you talking about?

Weirdly enough I was just answering the posters original question..........

dp639 wrote: »
    Weirdly enough I was just answering the posters original question..........

Then why did you quote me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

fergal.b wrote: »
    How about now :D I had to tell the kids that Santa can now travel down HDMI cables so it's ok to block up the chimney;)

20121210_091029.jpg

Looks good to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

................................................................................................................................^^^^^^^^

That snowman is gona melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

All the experts here, Jesus.

This man built a boat FFS!

I thinks it's fair to say he knows what he is doing in relation to fitting a TV on a wall. And FWIW, the early pics of the tv in place throw what is most likely a shadow, which makes the surrounding gap unsightly. I'm sure in the flesh it is a neat job.

Personally ferg, I'd have cut out and recessed only the bracket, but heh, everyone to their own. :o

dodzy wrote: »
    This man built a boat FFS!
    Maybe he'll give you his autograph if you ask nicely.

Firstly, building a boat doesn't automatically mean he knows what looks good. You essentially said that yourself, and I agree with you:
    Personally ferg, I'd have cut out and recessed only the bracket, but heh, everyone to their own. :o

He cut a hole in his wall to fit a TV that has a shelf life of around 5 years. If he, as you said, just cut it to fit the bracket, then he could easily change the TV - but he has customised his wall for this exact make & model of TV, because every single one is different. Plus, it's not even flush with the wall.
    In addition, he has what's essentially a TV underneath it instead of a fireplace. So he has basically put a screen on top of another screen. And to the right of that he has his iMac screen. So he's sitting there staring at 3 screens. Hardly the best use of space IMO...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As I have said I recessed the TV to allow the projector screen to come down over it "screen number 4" :D
    I built the wall boarded and plastered it so have no problem customising to fit any TV.

"Firstly, building a boat doesn't automatically mean he knows what looks good."

You could be right :D

DSC01078.jpg

Maybe he'll give you his autograph if you ask nicely.
    Whats wrong with a poster pointing out and possibly even admiring the boat building skills?
    Firstly, building a boat doesn't automatically mean he knows what looks good.
    No, but it would certainly indicate competency in a great range of DIY type tasks, such as the proper mechanical fixing of a tv bracket.

What looks good to one person maybe different to another.
    He cut a hole in his wall to fit a TV that has a shelf life of around 5 years. If he, as you said, just cut it to fit the bracket, then he could easily change the TV - but he has customised his wall for this exact make & model of TV, because every single one is different. Plus, it's not even flush with the wall.
    In addition, he has what's essentially a TV underneath it instead of a fireplace. So he has basically put a screen on top of another screen. And to the right of that he has his iMac screen. So he's sitting there staring at 3 screens. Hardly the best use of space IMO...

I have a feeling, customizing the wall for his next tv will be of little trouble, this man built a boat ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Jeez lads its Christmas Eve

Wheres all the festive spirit and joy gone to???

Everyone has their own styles and tastes,so lets not be bashing each other around and giving out about one another.

Merry Christmas to all.:)

PS-Fergal...thats a beautifull boat and some skill by you to build that from scratch.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Jeez lads its Christmas Eve

No ceasefire till midnight I thought:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If I can just figure out how to fit a tv in the dash of the boat I'll be sorted :D
    At least I can still do a bit of work outside unlike two years ago.
    Happy Christmas guys :D "This post is starting to go way of topic"

DSC00844.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

OK, I'm with the festive spirit thing and kindness to all men ;)

Ah to hell with it !

Ferg.....

-You made a right bollix fitting the TV
    -You have it too high
    -You cut a hole wayyy too big
    -Its a Samsung, and a sh1tty one at that
    -Its too small
    -Its over a fire (I dont care if the fire works or not )
    -It is a plasma fire cum aquarium, so its useless
    -Your Imac is too close to the fire
    -Your Imas is too small
    -Your boat looks sh1t
    -I hate the interior
    -And I hate the varnished finish
    -The motor looks like something retro fitted from a Harley Davidson
    -Oh, yeah, and its full of snow.
    -You take crap pictures ( should have called Paddy147 )
    -You obviously have wayyy too much money and time on your hands

Happy fcking Christmas :D

Ah to hell with it !

Ferg.....

-You have it too high
    -Its too small
    -Your Imas is too small
    -Your boat looks sh1t
    -I hate the interior

ROFL....:pac::D

Ah to hell with it !

Ferg.....

-You have it too high
    -Its too small
    -Your Imas is too small
    -Your boat looks sh1t
    -I hate the interior

Ye forgot to ask for the autograph

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Ye forgot to ask for the autograph

Ah shyte with bells on.......and to think that theres a 6 x 4 picture frame sitting on the side board just waiting for it.:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ah shyte with bells on.......and to think that theres a 6 x 4 picture frame sitting on the side board just waiting for it.:D

Just for you :D

e32b_35.JPG

That's one slick boat!!

My point though, dodzy, was that just because you say "he built a boat FFS", doesn't make any of my points irrelevant. So why bring it up? The TV job should stand alone.

If I'm a plumber, and I do an amateur job on a bathroom, do you think saying to the client "yeah, but I did a deadly one last week" should make any difference to their leaking toilet? Not that Fergal's TV mount is 'amateur', but IMO it has it's flaws which I'm entitled to point out and discuss without being dismissed, just because he did something else excellent.

That's one slick boat!!

My point though, dodzy, was that just because you say "he built a boat FFS", doesn't make any of my points irrelevant. So why bring it up? The TV job should stand alone.

If I'm a plumber, and I do an amateur job on a bathroom, do you think saying to the client "yeah, but I did a deadly one last week" should make any difference to their leaking toilet? Not that Fergal's TV mount is 'amateur', but IMO it has it's flaws which I'm entitled to point out and discuss without being dismissed, just because he did something else excellent.

You're a plumber????:eek::pac::D

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    Just for you :D

e32b_35.JPG

You handsome devil you.:pac::pac:

Did you know that Mr Fergal Sharkey is now an Angling Ambassador these days......

Honest...

http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?section=29%A7ionTitle=News&itemid=1084

That's one slick boat!!

The word "client" there, makes your post completely irrelevant.

The word "client" there, makes your post completely irrelevant.

The entire post? Really? You sure it doesn't just slightly flaw the analogy part of my post? But don't let facts get in the way of a bit of hyperbole... :rolleyes:

The entire post? Really? You sure it doesn't just slightly flaw the analogy part of my post? But don't let facts get in the way of a bit of hyperbole... :rolleyes:

You seem on a crusade. Continue on...

You seem on a crusade. Continue on...

A crusade? You're some man for the hyperbole. Read back over my posts - I made 1 point; that Fergal's TV mount job was not to my taste, and I backed up my opinion with tangible points.
    My subsequent posts were merely objections to other people trying to dismiss my opinion because "he made a boat" and "you used the word client". I made 1 point, and then I defended my point.

But don't let the above facts get in the way of making another short, dismissive, dumb comment.

A crusade? You're some man for the hyperbole. Read back over my posts - I made 1 point; that Fergal's TV mount job was not to my taste, and I backed up my opinion with tangible points.
    My subsequent posts were merely objections to other people trying to dismiss my opinion because "he made a boat" and "you used the word client". I made 1 point, and then I defended my point.

But don't let the above facts get in the way of making another short, dismissive, dumb comment.

Do you think fergal didnt know what he was doing, when fitting the tv bracket, in his own home?

As for hyperbole. Was it not yourself who suggested another poster get an autograph?

Do you think fergal didnt know what he was doing, when fitting the tv bracket, in his own home?
    When did I say he didn't know what he was doing? I said it wasn't to my taste. I never once suggested he was incompetent.
    As for hyperbole. Was it not yourself who suggested another poster get an autograph?
    Is that really your reply? You're using a joke as an example? That's some serious straw clutching...

Seriously, just move on - you got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Odelay

Ok, I'm a lurker here, but lets just say I have more training in using hand tools, none of your fancy skill saws, electric planers, dove-tail machines or mechanised morticers than you can dream about. I use hand tools, I can flatten, sharpen and hone in my sleep.

I have always been admired by three of Fergals trails
    1. He will always offer help and advice, if he don't know he will suggest someone.
    2. He is always on here, how someone with a boat business (am i right here) has time to post so quickly, I don't know.
    3. The quality of that build, well what I can you say, If he can level and fit on water then he can easily do it on land.

Regarding the tv, I'm sure other constraints were in mind, like allowing room for a new tv, access to hmdi, internal dvd and the shape of the tv -they ain't exactly square anymore.

As for a 1mm space around a tv on a plastered wall, and then talk about ventelation well..........

Nice post Fergal and wish you fair weather over the Christmas and New Year. keep up your excellent work, I appreciate it and have lots to learn from you.

• Advertisement

When did I say he didn't know what he was doing? I said it wasn't to my taste. I never once suggested he was incompetent.

dodzy mentioned fergal built a boat, and as such, would likely know what he is doing with regard to putting up a bracket on a wall. You were straight in saying that does not mean he knows what looks good. But, dodzy made no reference to what looks good. If fergal is happy with it, then it looks good to him, and is very likely structurally sound. And the mechanical soundness is the important factor here. How it looks is down to taste.

So, it is clear dodzy had a valid point. But you couldnt let that go.
    Is that really your reply? You're using a joke as an example? That's some serious straw clutching...
    Nothing needed to clutch at, except if you are treating this as a contest.
    Seriously, just move on - you got nothing.
    O right, so it is a contest to you. Well done.

Advertisement