Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Gauge wrote: »
    I'm all about the downward trend. I've fallen off the wagon before over small gains and stalls. It's what I want to avoid this time round. "progress is not linear"- I like that!

That said, I always skip a weigh in during my time of the month, so no weigh in for me this week. I bloat like a pufferfish and don't need the demotivation of what could be up to a 5lb gain, even if I know it's only temporary!

Hormones are a b*tch. And mine are always all over the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I got my TOTM a week early this month (which was very odd - im wondering is it down to the change in my diet?) so I had it on Wednesday for WI, now while it's too early to pick out a trend on the scales, I think from I started taking evening primrose oil I don't be *nearly* as bloated as I used to be. I was also down this week, when I was doing WW no matter how well I ate or how much exercise I did the best I could hope for was a STS when it was in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

boogle wrote: »
    Yeah, I wish I has the restraint to just weight in once a month! Maybe I'd stop beating myself up over the little bumps

I used to weigh myself every day. Now my weighing scales batteries are sitting in my desk at work, and I bring them home every six weeks or so. :cool: TBH, I don't want to have to do that forever, I'm just trying to "train" myself not to do it every day, as I think that can lead to obsessiveness.

My weight can fluctuate from 76.5 to 79.5kg over the course of a week. I only bought a scales recently to keep track half-heartedly.

I can't imagine the pain that someone who's obsessed with the scales must feel when they see a gain of 4/5 lbs on a week where they've done little 'wrong'.

My advice. Forget the scales and take some photos. Or just concentrate on the difference in your jeans fitting better, or your t shirt sitting better on your chest, or you feeling better at the top of the stairs in work, or your 'old clothes' coming back out of the wardrobe.

Check in on the scales every now and again to validate yourself, by all means. But obsessing over the figure is only ever going to beat you up. Don't forget, you're not really interested in Weight Loss, that's a goal that is correlated with what you are doing, and can be an indicator of progress but isn't always.

You are trying to become a healthier version of yourself. You are aiming to be a different shape, a different body composition, a different type of person. The scales are indicators, not the overall judges!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I was down 2lb this week and I feel slim with is great :)

• Advertisement

My weight can fluctuate from 76.5 to 79.5kg over the course of a week. I only bought a scales recently to keep track half-heartedly.

I can't imagine the pain that someone who's obsessed with the scales must feel when they see a gain of 4/5 lbs on a week where they've done little 'wrong'.

My advice. Forget the scales and take some photos. Or just concentrate on the difference in your jeans fitting better, or your t shirt sitting better on your chest, or you feeling better at the top of the stairs in work, or your 'old clothes' coming back out of the wardrobe.

Check in on the scales every now and again to validate yourself, by all means. But obsessing over the figure is only ever going to beat you up. Don't forget, you're not really interested in Weight Loss, that's a goal that is correlated with what you are doing, and can be an indicator of progress but isn't always.

You are trying to become a healthier version of yourself. You are aiming to be a different shape, a different body composition, a different type of person. The scales are indicators, not the overall judges!

I'm a big fan of taking photos. I don't like to do that too often either though. :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

misslt wrote: »
    I got my TOTM a week early this month (which was very odd - im wondering is it down to the change in my diet?)

Yes, definitely, the reason is that women store estrogen in fat cells, this gets released in a whoosh and causes hormones to go a bit whackadoo, usually an early period. Settles down pretty quickly after that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Hormones are a b*tch. And mine are always all over the shop!

Tell me about it, on top of feeling puffy I'm craving carbs and sugar like a crazy person for the past few days. Thankfully I feel a bit calmer today. But yesterday I would have gnawed my arm off for some chocolate.

I have no before/after photos. I keep saying I'm going to take some but I always chicken out- I hate photos of myself at the best of times! But I think I'll do that this weekend.

Yes, definitely, the reason is that women store estrogen in fat cells, this gets released in a whoosh and causes hormones to go a bit whackadoo, usually an early period. Settles down pretty quickly after that though.

Not me, mine became really irregular and more or less stopped when I lost the weight. :confused::(

Gyno who investigated, and I quote, said it was my "brain", that everything else was fine.

I think problem with me though was that I was only 2 years having cycles when I really started packing on weight so that was normal for me. Being at a healthier weight is abnormal. That coinciding with fairly low calorie intake didn't help I reckon. Pill regulated them then but I'm off that now.

I'm curious to see if having upped calories will help get me back on the road!

In other news! Victory over temptation for me!
    In Tesco getting my food shop for next week and they were giving out mini pancakes smothered in chocolate philadelphia.

I walked past people. I WALKED RIGHT PAST! :cool:

Now eating a sexy homemade sweet and sour chicken with cauliflower rice. Hairy Dieters' cookbook was the best thing I have ever bought!

Not me, mine became really irregular and more or less stopped when I lost the weight. :confused::(

Gyno who investigated, and I quote, said it was my "brain", that everything else was fine.

I think problem with me though was that I was only 2 years having cycles when I really started packing on weight so that was normal for me. Being at a healthier weight is abnormal. That coinciding with fairly low calorie intake didn't help I reckon. Pill regulated them then but I'm off that now.

I'm curious to see if having upped calories will help get me back on the road!

In other news! Victory over temptation for me!
    In Tesco getting my food shop for next week and they were giving out mini pancakes smothered in chocolate philadelphia.

I walked past people. I WALKED RIGHT PAST! :cool:

Now eating a sexy homemade sweet and sour chicken with cauliflower rice. Hairy Dieters' cookbook was the best thing I have ever bought!

See I was really confused cos I'm on the pill now (really shouldn't be technically but I've talked to my doctor about it) so thats why I found it so odd. When I'm not on it I'm all over the shop and wouldn't have thought twice.

Well done you, I'd have caved :p

Where did you get this wonderful cookbook you speak of? I've heard great things!

• Advertisement

Got it in Easons for about 15euro! It's the Hairy Dieter's cookbook! I'm obsessed with it. I've made, so far
    • mince pies
    • sweet and sour chicken
    • chicken korma
    • skinny lasagne (uses leeks)
    • cottage pie
    • prawn and cod gratin
    • peppered steak

And I'm in love with every dish!

Chicken jalfrezi next week I think!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Another 2lb gone, very unexpected as I've been a bit more relaxed with food this week! Must be the IF working its magic :)

weight.png

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Down 1.5 kg this week (about 3lb:eek:) haven't had a loss this big since I was way heavier, over a year ago, I'm delighted! Been working hard at the exercise, sticking at my calorie goal, getting there at last. Only 3kg away from a 'normal' BMI. I know it's not the best tool, but I do really want to hit that target.

Amazing losses everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Got the Hairy Bikers Diet book too, is fab... My Dad nicked to though, but he's trying out all the recipies on me.
    :)
    How bad!!

STS this week. Actually tiny gain of like 0.2 or somethings.

Not going to lie, of course I'm not happy but at least it isn't a gain.

I had a solid week food wise but I know the sedation on Tuesday and subsequent dosing myself with painkillers for a day/2 (dentist) probably didn't help.
    This coinciding with the fact I've lost a good chunk (for me) lately and my body has a tendency to balance itself out.

I also know that the above reasons don't really matter overall. a good week's effort won't go away unless I ruin it myself.

"progress isn't linear!!!!!" :p

I think I've lost another half inch off my waist and a bit around my hips so that's all progress.

I'm toying with the idea of given up stuff for Lent for the first time since I was about 12. :D

I'm not religious - but I think it's good to challenge oneself every now and then. No junk for 46 days - with maybe the odd bit of wholemeal bread. (which I realise some would classify as junk, but let's not get into that ;))

My sister is for some reason very resistant to the idea of me doing it.

Her: "A little of what you fancy is fine"
    Me: "Yes, but a challenge is a good thing too"

and back and forth ad nauseum. :)

Anyone else going to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I'm giving up chocolate for lent. Less religious more for self control and breaking a habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'm totally non religious and I still give things up for Lent. It is a good time to challenge yourself and break habits.

I usually give up sweets/chocolate/junk/etc. Really though I should be giving up alcohol :(

Gauge wrote: »
    I usually give up sweets/chocolate/junk/etc. Really though I should be giving up alcohol :(

See, I WISH I had the self-control towards junk food that I have towards alcohol. Haven't drank since New Year's Eve, and didn't miss it. In fact, I can't believe it's been nearly six weeks! :eek: That's very normal for me though, I can go months without drinking. Alcohol makes me depressed and has a knock-on effect on my diet, so I find it very easy to excise from my life. Going out for dinner for my BF's birthday next weekend. That'll probably be my first drink since NYE.

Sugar on the other hand...

• Advertisement

Only lost 3lbs this week and worked out 5 days this week like a devil... am bit disappointed... thought I did pretty well with diet too though did add nuts and seeds this week, maybe I over did them??? Any tips guys/girls?

3lbs in a week is ****ing phenomenal.

Slow and steady will mean it doesn't go back on. Be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Munstermad wrote: »
    Only lost 3lbs this week and worked out 5 days this week like a devil... am bit disappointed... thought I did pretty well with diet too though did add nuts and seeds this week, maybe I over did them??? Any tips guys/girls?

3lbs is great.I think you deserve a big WELL DONE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

3lbs is loads.

Be proud. Steady pace wins the race :)

3lbs is amazing!!! With big losses I'd be afraid of losing muscle so that's a great start! Well done!

Aww thanks guys/gals... I suppose I've never worked so hard physically before, and I have had similar losses previously when I did WW's without moving my arse at all....... I suppose I was expecting bigger numbers, but ye are right... In the past anything I lost quickly I gained just as quick... Here's to a long fit road ahead... :0
    Thanks again guys/gals, I needed the reality check!! :)

Thought I'd share a nice healthy pancake! The mix comes out at about 165 cals and I usually get 3 or 4 smallish pancakes out of it!!

Oat Bran Pancake

30g oat bran
    40g low fat natural yoghurt
    2 egg whites
    small bit of sweetener and cinnamon to taste

Mix the above together with a whisk. Small drop of skimmed milk if it's too gloopy for your taste! And fry!

They are DELICIOUS!

So I forgot to weigh in this morning :p

I think I might just skip this week and weigh in next week as I'm trying to keep it at the exact same time and things to rule out any anomalies, my scales aren't the best!

Head like a sieve :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Munstermad wrote: »
    Aww thanks guys/gals... I suppose I've never worked so hard physically before, and I have had similar losses previously when I did WW's without moving my arse at all....... I suppose I was expecting bigger numbers, but ye are right... In the past anything I lost quickly I gained just as quick... Here's to a long fit road ahead... :0
    Thanks again guys/gals, I needed the reality check!! :)

Any more than 3lbs and it wouldn't be permanent weight loss IMO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

Ok so I actually can't stop eating. Gained over 10lbs over Xmas and still can't get it off! Iv great intentions but can't seem to fill myself. Had lost 20lbs last year felt great. Feel crap since gaining back 10lbs. Any help with pigging out. I just want the weight off

Advertisement