Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I am trying to figure out macros and how much protein I should eat. I eat 1,500kcal a day. I read that my protein should be related to my weight but then they mentioned training after that.

What is a good amount of protein and fat to eat? I am trying to lose weight mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Weighed in last night, lost two pounds this week. (Though I reckon this was time-of-the-month weight that I had on last week.) Anywho, a loss is a loss :)

On advice from StenchBlossoms and DocWhoGirl, I've upped my calories from 1300 to 1500 today with a view to going up to 1600 and seeing how that goes. I certainly enjoyed having extra food! Carbs coming in at 42% today. Do you reckon I should try to reduce this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Pembily wrote: »
    I am trying to figure out macros and how much protein I should eat. I eat 1,500kcal a day. I read that my protein should be related to my weight but then they mentioned training after that.

What is a good amount of protein and fat to eat? I am trying to lose weight mostly.

1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight. I tend to let fat and carbs sort themselves out probably with a lean more towards fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Dolbert wrote: »
    Today I discovered Jamaican jerk houmous in Tesco, nyom! Eat all the carrot sticks :cool:
    Is that the one with jalapeno pepper? I discovered it the other week. It's amazing!

Doctorwhogirl, I bought a cottage cheese tonight on your enthusiastic recommendations of it! Must try to get to Aldi soon to try theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Been experimenting with ketois for the last week. Eating the same amount of calories just changing my macros and doing the same amount of exercise.

Lost 2.8lbs (3.6 in the last 2 weeks) in the last week. I made a face like this :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

That's fantastic Stench Blossoms!

I was down 2.4lb, I actually did a happy dance on the scales :)

And I got a dress for the interview and it was an 18, I was terrified I'd have to get a 20! (When I started WW last time, about 2 years ago, I swore I'd never wear a 20 again).

So I'm happy out all round :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Hermione* wrote: »
    Is that the one with jalapeno pepper? I discovered it the other week. It's amazing!

Yes indeed, it has quite a kick! It might have even surpassed their caramelised onion one for me...
    Been experimenting with ketois for the last week. Eating the same amount of calories just changing my macros and doing the same amount of exercise.

Lost 2.8lbs (3.6 in the last 2 weeks) in the last week. I made a face like this :eek:

It's brilliant isn't it, gonna do it for a few weeks before the wedding for chiseled Zoolanderesque cheekbones*

*I'll settle for a slightly slimmer face though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

I have heard of ketois mentioned before but I don't really know much about it. How does it work exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Hope nobody minds me dropping in :) I have about a stone to lose between now and the end of May but I'll settle for 10lbs, as it would put me back at the lowest weight I've previously been as an adult (ironically, that was back when I was a sedentary college student who existed entirely on chocolate, crisps, bread, and pasta. Oh, to have that metabolism again). In 3 weeks I've lost 2.8lbs which is slow going but I'm aiming for a gradual downward trend so as long as it keeps heading in that direction I'll be happy! Stench Blossoms, your one week loss of the same amount is VERY impressive to me :D

I eat between 1400-1800 calories a day (usually at the higher end if I'm lifting weights or being exceptionally active, in the middle if I'm lightly active (e.g. horseriding or walking), and the lower end if it's a lazy day, which I try to avoid as much as possible). I've started tracking macros at 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat and I'm actually hitting them most days which is inspiring. It feels very counterintuitive like I'm cramming myself full of protein (and it's not even a lot by some people's standards I'd imagine!) and eating WAY too much fat but that's probably the years of being a big carb-lover talking.

I LOVE HUMMUS. I was obsessed with the Peri Peri hummus from Tesco but I've actually eaten it so often I'm sick of it now :( I haven't tried the jalapeño or onion flavour though. I love making my own but it tends to end up super garlicky so probably not the best for bringing into the office for lunch!

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I have heard of ketois mentioned before but I don't really know much about it. How does it work exactly?

I'm eating less than 20g of carbs a day or 5%

65% fats and 30% protein.

I'm not really hugely happy with the big loss. I don't think losing that much in a short space of time is healthy. I'm a .5lb a week kinda gal :)

• Advertisement

careful, an awful awful awful lot of that will be water.

You need to ensure you are well hydrated in ketosis, as you need to give your liver and kidneys plenty of 'flush'.

You need to ensure you are well hydrated in ketosis, as you need to give your liver and kidneys plenty of 'flush'.

Yeh I'm actually hoping its mainly water. I don't like to see the scale go down that much.

I drink about 4 litres of water a day.

Up your salts too?

I never really watch that. Only other thing I look at other than pfc is fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Very important tip there for low carbs / Ketosis .. but at least SB has a good understanding that the fat's she consuming is being burned as energy, as opposed to stored .

I was toying with the idea of low carb high fat also, but i'm happy with a balance right about now, it's more sustainable, for every day eating..

Jaysus, I'd say keeping carbs under 20g is a bit of a pain in the arse! Are you even limiting veg?

boogle wrote: »
    Jaysus, I'd say keeping carbs under 20g is a bit of a pain in the arse! Are you even limiting veg?

This is a typical day

Bacon and eggs
    Chicken cheese casserole
    Nuts
    chicken cheese and jalapenos wrapped in bacon
    Nuts
    Greek yogurt and strawberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sephya

This is a typical day

Bacon and eggs
    Chicken cheese casserole
    Nuts
    Nuts

i have to ask.... how regular are you with a diet like that?

Sephya wrote: »
    i have to ask.... how regular are you with a diet like that?

As in how often do I go to the jacks or do I stick to the diet much?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sephya

As in how often do I go to the jacks or do I stick to the diet much?

yes... how often you have a bowel movement!

• Advertisement

Sephya wrote: »
    yes... how often you have a bowel movement!

Everyday.

Psyllium husk are my best friend.

That's just one day.

Another day could be:
    Bacon and eggs
    Almond chicken with broccoli, carrots, cauliflower.
    Prawn salad
    Nuts

So I do get some veg in there.

This is a typical day

Bacon and eggs
    Chicken cheese casserole
    Nuts
    Nuts

Doesn't sound too bad. Grocery bill taking a hit I'll bet!

Nah not really. Buy my chicken fillets in my local wholesale butchers. Eggs, bacon, cheese, spinach, veg, fruit, nuts in Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

I think here might be a good place to ask these questions. As well as following Weight Watchers, I am trying to make changes for the better. One of these changes is switching to wholewheat/brown pasta, rice and wraps. When I looked up the nutritional value for brown rice, I found that it has less fibre than normal white rice. Would this be correct? The whole reason for changing is to up my fibre intake. I guess I'm asking which is better for you?

Also I take fish oil tablets but someone told me I should only take them for a few months at a time as my body will become immune to this. Is this true or should I take them everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

I think here might be a good place to ask these questions. As well as following Weight Watchers, I am trying to make changes for the better. One of these changes is switching to wholewheat/brown pasta, rice and wraps. When I looked up the nutritional value for brown rice, I found that it has less fibre than normal white rice. Would this be correct? The whole reason for changing is to up my fibre intake. I guess I'm asking which is better for you?

Also I take fish oil tablets but someone told me I should only take them for a few months at a time as my body will become immune to this. Is this true or should I take them everyday?

The human body doesn't become "immune" to food.

Marketing nowadays would have you believe the brown version is the healthier version but in reality there isn't a huge amount of difference between them.

If you want to increase fibre intake increase I suggest eating more green vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I must buy frozen spinach again. Love the stuff but always forget. Got plenty of brocolli in this week though and cabbage. Yum.

Hoping for a STS this week I think :(

Not because I went off plan, was on plan as normal but just feel like I'm bigger or more bloated or something. Hate when my body does this! Just when I feel I'm making progress!

Scales at weekend will tell but if I STS I'll be happy it's not a gain, but annoyed because I put in the effort for even a small loss.

As someone was chanting, and I chanted it today, in the fitness logs

progress is not linear

Need to keep this in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

progress is not linear

Need to keep this in mind

Exactly, a downward trend over time is the important thing. We're not robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'm all about the downward trend. I've fallen off the wagon before over small gains and stalls. It's what I want to avoid this time round. "progress is not linear"- I like that!

That said, I always skip a weigh in during my time of the month, so no weigh in for me this week. I bloat like a pufferfish and don't need the demotivation of what could be up to a 5lb gain, even if I know it's only temporary!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wish I has the restraint to just weight in once a month! Maybe I'd stop beating myself up over the little bumps

Advertisement