Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some gay men talk differently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Barna77 wrote: »
    Not to mention the general absence of any sense of humour over there :rolleyes:

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Never actually thought of this before :p

They are actually putting on an accent..It is ridiculous alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Its because they're gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Barna77 wrote: »
    Not to mention the general absence of any sense of humour over there :rolleyes:

Yup. It's pretty much "gay personal issues", except it's always the same issues that come up. Stick a search function in there, lock the forum, and nobody would complain because it's the same stuff that's been asked and answered 50 times by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

flash1080 wrote: »
    You know the type of camp accent I mean.

What's the deal?

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UxcIrNK0h8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

dulpit wrote: »
    My brother is gay, the whole camp scene (and gay pride) bugs him big time - he doesn't get why people act differently when they come out. He also thinks that gay pride by definition is pointing out a difference instead of looking for equality.

Very strongly agree with this, and not just in relation to gay pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Serious deep answer? They see themselves as stepping out of society and falling into their new community and assume the accent to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

it pays to be camp

I've just spent the day mincing round town, didn't get a cent. :confused:
    I'm not sure you quite get the idea behind discussion forums. People generally start threads to discuss topics which interest them or to satisfy their curiosity. In this instance the OP was curious about a particular sounding voice which is quite common amongst homosexual men.

If you look at the list of thread topics I believe you'll find many which don't affect the OP.

I thought I did by asking the question "Why do people care about how other people speak?"

I'll try again:

hi OP i think its because most gays have different vocal cords you can tell by lookin at them cos they dont have an adams apple.
    I'm back. Please see below:

Excellent contribution.
    I still believe due to your opening post and what I've seen of you in this forum previously that you started this thread with no more noble intention than sh*t-stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Seaneh wrote: »
    Because I know several gay men who only started to really ham it up after they came out, at ages varying from 15 to 25. Pre coming out, they sounded like a normal person. Come out and boom, sound like brian dowling impersonators and are suddenly camping it up.

It was kinda the opposite for me actually. When I was like 14 and started to accept that I was gay I became really camp for some reason. Then when I actually came out at like 16/17, it all just kinda stopped. Meh, it doesn't bother me either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I've just spent the day mincing round town, didn't get a cent. :confused:

I thought I did by asking the question "Why do people care about how other people speak?"

I'll try again:

hi OP i think its because most gays have different vocal cords you can tell by lookin at them cos they dont have an adams apple.

Excellent contribution.
    I still believe due to your opening post and what I've seen of you in this forum previously that you started this thread with no more noble intention than sh*t-stirring.

Well the OP didn't seem to care from their post, it seemed to be out of curiosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Did ya ever here a really camp gay lad with a thick Dublin accent?

Funniest thing ever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Did ya ever here a really camp gay lad with a thick Dublin accent?

Funniest thing ever. :D

wait till you make him cum- you'll pi$$ yourself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a major bugbear of mine.

It's like this quasi-american over exaggerated accent

Ive observed this a lot in the last few years and I'm talking about a percentage of the general population not just the gay folk. I hear a lot of this truely embarrassing slightly american phoney 'I want to be a west coast american' television inspired Irish accent with a little twang of california sh!t talk coming from people who have never left these shores for longer than 2 weeks on a package holiday maybe or probably never at all. Dude!, wow!....like really!, dude! sneakers?, vacation?, candy?,....:rolleyes:

Cop on and please stop trying to mimic whats on tv. Its sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Worse I ever heard was camp junkie skangers. It was awful and I've worked with a woman who put on an american accent.

Worse I ever heard was camp junkie skangers. It was awful and I've worked with a woman who put on an american accent.

ooooh heyer!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

efb wrote: »

*pukes*

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    *pukes*

kinky :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dude!, wow!....like really!, dude! sneakers?, vacation?, candy?,....:rolleyes:

Cop on and please stop trying to mimic whats on tv. Its sad.

I say "dude" a lot. And "awesome". I watch feck all TV though, so I don't know where I picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Couldn't care less about someones sexual orientation but the ones who make every aspect of their lives all the goddamn day about their homosexuality bug the **** out of me. Grand you're gay. I and most others don't give a **** so stop banging on about it.

I say "dude" a lot. And "awesome". I watch feck all TV though, so I don't know where I picked it up.

internets????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Heckler wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about someones sexual orientation but the ones who make every aspect of their lives all the goddamn day about their homosexuality bug the **** out of me. Grand you're gay. I and most others don't give a **** so stop banging on about it.
    For the record they annoy a lot of gay guys too. When it's an in-your-face approach it can get jarring. Likewise when a guy feels like they have to hang their girlfriend off their arm 24/7 like an accessory and that sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Should I be imagining it sounding like a female skangery loud hairdresser cumming to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Thats entirely your decision but I don't think that qualifies you as being one of the phoneys I speak of. All I know is when I hear someone pretending to be slightly American it makes me feel a little embarrassed for them.

Should I be imagining it sounding like a female skangery loud hairdresser cumming to understand?

lanzaroheeeeeeeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You know the type of camp accent I mean.
    Why do Cork people sound odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Weird mental image. All over the place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

internets????

Most likely! College Humour, SecretAgentBob and meme culture in general have me warped at this stage.
    Thats entirely your decision but I don't think that qualifies you as being one of the phoneys I speak of.

Great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I know a lot of completely straight guys who have this voice though. But it just so happens that alot of gay men also have this voice. It's one of life's mysteries I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

corktina wrote: »
    Most gay men you would never guess...(look around, I bet there's one within sight of you right now.... :-)
    *locks doors*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Working for an airline at the moment and I have actually pondered posting a similar thread to this because the amount of camp gay guys that work as cabin crew is astounding. Yesterday the campest guy I have ever seen or heard walked out across the compound, if he flounced any harder whilst walking he'd have gotten airborne. He was like a caricature of the stereotype he was so bad.

I don't understand why the need to become a loud, strange voiced, arm flappy, weird walking oddball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement