Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes 11 now available

Options
  • 29-11-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Apple have just updated iTunes to version 11 with the revamped UI and better iCloud support among other features. It's available as an update via the Mac App Store or by Direct Download from Apple.com ([Snip] - Now available).

Apple TV was also updated to 5.1.1 and the Remote app has a new iPad interface.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Nothing yet for windows :(

Forget that just went to the site :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

aoshea83 wrote: »
    Nothing yet for windows :(

Damn racists!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

seems to be available now..at least the url mentions itunes11 in it

I like it!

Still a bit slow in places but it's clean and familiar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yep available on the MAS and Apple's site. Really like the new UI of the whole thing. Layout will take some time getting used to. Like the new layout for syncing the connected iOS devices. A little awkward to find though.

Also for those afraid of change and want the sidebar back try this;

1. Click Songs.

2. Click View > Show Sidebar (Command-Option-S)

3. Click View > Show Status Bar (Command-/)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I notice that it now allows me to access the taskbar at the bottom of the screen (Windows 7), previously it grabbed the whole screen when maximized and the taskbar was inaccessible.

Review on the Telegraph today...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9713830/iTunes-11-review.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yep available on the MAS and Apple's site. Really like the new UI of the whole thing. Layout will take some time getting used to. Like the new layout for syncing the connected iOS devices. A little awkward to find though.

Also for those afraid of change and want the sidebar back try this;

Thanks for that.

I've been mucking around with it and can't figure why you'd want to NOT have the sidebar when moving/deleting stuff from your device.

Looks well though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dades wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I've been mucking around with it and can't figure why you'd want to NOT have the sidebar when moving/deleting stuff from your device.

Looks well though.
    The playlist sidebar automatically appears on the right when you click and drag a song. Much easier than the old way. There's really no need for the main sidebar anymore.

Now I see how it works!

Also, CTRL S toggles the sidebar which is cool.

Is there another way of getting your actual device library (music. apps, etc.) to display without going in via the sidebar? I keep clicking the eject iPhone option which appears on BOTH side at the top depending on what view you're in. Is that really needed??

Why isn't there a button instead that shows your iPhone like the "iTunes Store" button brings you into iTunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dades wrote: »
    Now I see how it works!

Also, CTRL S toggles the sidebar which is cool.

Is there another way of getting your actual device library (music. apps, etc.) to display without going in via the sidebar? I keep clicking the eject iPhone option which appears on BOTH side at the top depending on what view you're in. Is that really needed??

Why isn't there a button instead that shows your iPhone like the "iTunes Store" button brings you into iTunes.

There is its next to the itunes store one.

I had the same problem as you before but it seems to be working fine for me now.

OTA or using the cable ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There is its next to the itunes store one.
    Urk! I've just realised there's two clickable areas on that button. One to eject and the other goto device.

I swear I'm an internet professional. :pac:

Just closed itunes and started it again and my iphone appeared again but not as quickly as before. hmmm and it only says "iphone" instead of "mynameiphone"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

For the last 24 hours iTunes Match has been nothing but a complete pain in the hole for me. It seems to be working okay now, but I'm getting really pissed off with it. It frequently stops working for hours at a time.

It's amazing how the blogs get their panties in a twist over every little thing to do with Apple, while ignoring the fact that Apple are currently charging users 25 euro a year to beta test their music-in-the-cloud service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi
    Got a new ipod nano,updated to the new version of i tunes,it doesn't seem to syncing properly,it was stuck 2of1450 songs even though the bar was moving along and then all of a sudden it just stops syncing,SO I Disconnected the nano and there was only 2 songs on it,any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've gone back to having the sidebar and status bar anyway.

The big down side to 11 for me (unless I'm missing something obvious of course) is that it's not as simple as it used to be to manually add artwork to an album if it isn't in Apple's database. In the old versions you could just copy and paste an image from Google or wherever in the album view on the sidebar and could do whole albums in one go. Now you can't copy and paste but have to go into the 'get info' section and add the artwork from a file on your computer. And you have to do it individually for each song. Total pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hi
    Got a new ipod nano,updated to the new version of i tunes,it doesn't seem to syncing properly,it was stuck 2of1450 songs even though the bar was moving along and then all of a sudden it just stops syncing,SO I Disconnected the nano and there was only 2 songs on it,any ideas?

Just a few things. Have you got enough space to hold the 1450 songs on the nano? Have you tried restoring it though iTunes? Could be a corrupt copy of iOS. Try closing iTunes and 'Quiting' completely from it. Also a restart of your Laptop/PC.

I've gone back to having the sidebar and status bar anyway.

The big down side to 11 for me (unless I'm missing something obvious of course) is that it's not as simple as it used to be to manually add artwork to an album if it isn't in Apple's database. In the old versions you could just copy and paste an image from Google or wherever in the album view on the sidebar and could do whole albums in one go. Now you can't copy and paste but have to go into the 'get info' section and add the artwork from a file on your computer. And you have to do it individually for each song. Total pain!

You can still paste images in. Just click in the artwork box and paste.

I never realised you could even do it the sidebar way. I always did it the Get Info way.

You can still paste images in. Just click in the artwork box and paste.

I never realised you could even do it the sidebar way. I always did it the Get Info way.

Which view are you doing this in? I can't paste. I only get the option to 'add' or 'delete'. Nothing happens when I right click. Also a shame that to get the 'next' or 'previous' buttons in the get info, you have to be in the songs option.

Which view are you doing this in? I can't paste. I only get the option to 'add' or 'delete'. Nothing happens when I right click. Also a shame that to get the 'next' or 'previous' buttons in the get info, you have to be in the songs option.

I always use keyboard shortcuts (CMD-V on a Mac to paste), so I'm not sure if right-click ever worked. It's probably easiest if you bring up the multi info window by right-click and Get Info on an album. Then just click in the artwork box and paste. It does seem a bit buggy now that I look at it, but it still works.

I always use keyboard shortcuts (CMD-V on a Mac to paste), so I'm not sure if right-click ever worked. It's probably easiest if you bring up the multi info window by right-click and Get Info on an album. Then just click in the artwork box and paste. It does seem a bit buggy now that I look at it, but it still works.

Ah yeah, that works. I've always used the mouse to cut and paste, never the keyboard. thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Not liking the update so far. Seems to be more awkward when looking for something in particular plus one thing that is really annoying is when you leave your library to go to the store or disc in the drive and then go back to the library it takes you back to the top again instead of what you were looking at previously like it did in previous versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's a UX diaster tbh, I have to move my pointer all the time now as everything is in opposite corners. as before everything was in the sidebar easy accessible.

now i know you can get the sidebar back but i don't particularly want to, apple should know better

• Advertisement

it's a UX diaster tbh, I have to move my pointer all the time now as everything is in opposite corners. as before everything was in the sidebar easy accessible.

now i know you can get the sidebar back but i don't particularly want to, apple should know better

What way would you make it better though? You don't want the sidebar but you want the things you used to be able to do with the sidebar.

Advertisement