Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The elephant in the room thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Could have been a genuine mistake.

Seems a bit Irish that going to the bother of swapping a number plate is a 'genuine mistake' but hey, you see something new everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I suspect that , as the owner lives in Cork, plates were made up bearing a "C" through force of habit at the Motor factors and this error was noticed when the ad was run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

CianDon wrote: »
    Seems a bit Irish that going to the bother of swapping a number plate is a 'genuine mistake' but hey, you see something new everyday

Well the wrong plate was on the car, having the wrong county, and it has now been replaced with the correct one. What else could it possibly be other than a genuine error!?

why the car needed new plates is another thing altogether I guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

why the car needed new plates is another thing altogether I guess

Just imported.

Mind you, in the early days of minis, the normal 'refurb' was a new set of bumpers and new number plates and a quick polish.

The original bumpers were made of tin foil and were always badly dented, and new ones were dirt cheap - same went for number plates. It is always a good idea to give a car a polish if you are trying to sell it.

• Advertisement

Just imported.

Mind you, in the early days of minis, the normal 'refurb' was a new set of bumpers and new number plates and a quick polish.

The original bumpers were made of tin foil and were always badly dented, and new ones were dirt cheap - same went for number plates. It is always a good idea to give a car a polish if you are trying to sell it.

Just imported on KY plates would have a 89KY100xx number

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Sent him a message via D.D. querying the details, I. E. Why was it showing up as a different vehicle. His response was ????????????????. The car has now been Bumped Up on D.D. and you can no longer send him a message! Very Strange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just imported on KY plates would have a 89KY100xx number

True. Strange.

No matter what the county, no way a car could be imported and have an 89-X-4903 reg plate unless something fishy is happening. That sorta number would have been issued by the second or third week of January 1989!! Seeing as the plate lines up with a record on the NCT that hasn't held a test since 2008 puts the notion of 'ach she's only into the country and I stuck the wrong county on the plate' as rightly curious. More than likely she's just been sat in a shed the last 8 years and the seller is trying to hide this, not sure why, but putting up pics with the Cork reg was strange

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

No matter what the county, no way a car could be imported and have an 89-X-4903 reg plate unless something fishy is happening. That sorta number would have been issued by the second or third week of January 1989!! Seeing as the plate lines up with a record on the NCT that hasn't held a test since 2008 puts the notion of 'ach she's only into the country and I stuck the wrong county on the plate' as rightly curious. More than likely she's just been sat in a shed the last 8 years and the seller is trying to hide this, not sure why, but putting up pics with the Cork reg was strange

Nah, there was only 9,900 odd new cars in January 1989 for the whole country. Kerry would only make up a very small (2-3) percentage of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Selling Brown Books... I am not sure if this is a good practice if it comes without the car? Or would anyone buy them just as a collector's item?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/motor-tax-books/10766597?offset=2

Seweryn wrote: »
    Selling Brown Books... I am not sure if this is a good practice if it comes without the car? Or would anyone buy them just as a collector's item?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/motor-tax-books/10766597?offset=2

ad gone....no doubt reported....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Maybe a quick sale?

A nice lock of tax books available there for the gentleman looking to avoid paying tax or having to own a ZV plate http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/shed-clearout/10802895?offset=1

gone already...I reckon donedeal watch this thread

He had some list of ones available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

...including some unknown ones, like "Volkswagon".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's kinda ironic that they're a 'back of an envelope job'?! :D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Here we have a Brazilian Type2C panel van produced from the early 1990's They're easily identified and quite different from the non-Brazilian models.

This one has grown a 1971 identity and is for sale for a cool €35k

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vw-panel-van-with-2000-miles-from-new/11345069

The seller (Ken in this ad) seems to sell a lot of classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

As if anyone who is interested enough in a Type2 van would be fooled by that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

^^^ It was either a fast sale ....or the seller 'felt his ears burning'!
    Ad not gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On the off chance that an unsuspecting innocent bought that vw ,then discovered that it wasnt what they expected,I assume they could get yer man done for fraud..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

So, is this an elephant ? or a horse of a different colour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Markcheese wrote: »
    On the off chance that an unsuspecting innocent bought that vw ,then discovered that it wasnt what they expected,I assume they could get yer man done for fraud..

Well if he sold it with an 'original' Irish 1971 taxbook then possibly yes, one could, but if it was sold without paperwork, then the only official mention of the year was on the ad itself. Private sales but a lot of responsibility on the buyer to ensure they are happy with all aspects of their purchase.

Incorrect description on an ad wouldnt be fraud in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

swarlb wrote: »

It's damn beautiful:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

swarlb wrote: »

Comes up as a Ferrari anyway, where did you get the picture?

kev1.3s wrote: »

It is a Ferrari.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'm almost 100% sure I spotted that last summer in Ballina/Killaloe. I couldn't get a pic quick enough as I was too busy picking my jaw up while trying not to bite my tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

So motor check has it as a red 1951 Ferrari so no elephant, just a pretty glorious motor. Pretty jealous of that one.

• Advertisement

So motor check has it as a red 1951 Ferrari so no elephant, just a pretty glorious motor. Pretty jealous of that one.

Does motorcheck give you the chassis number... or the 'date of manufacture' ?

This is a 212.. there were 82 originally built, not all with the same bodywork.

Advertisement