Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

That has to be fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭lolie

Jordan 191 wrote: »

I'd doubt its true but really hope it it and is put to him by the reporters. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Mercedes and Pirelli are to face a Formula One tribunal for a possible rules breach concerning their tyre testing session in Barcelona last month.

The FIA has also announced that no action will be taken against Ferrari.

Source: Sky Sports F1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mercedes drivers also drove with anonymous helmets for the secret test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Saw on twitter that some news is to break today relating to the test that will up the stakes.

Will try route it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Red Bull took the moral high ground for once :rolleyes: - http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8764261/-Red-Bull-declined-Pirelli-test- - saying that they were offered the test (all teams were apparently) but they declined because it wasn't 'in line' with the rules.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

At 11.30 tonight BBC 4 are repeating the documentary investigating the cause of the disaster at the 1955 Le Mans 24h. I saw it when it was first on and it's well worth watching if you're stuck in tonight or can record it/watch on iPlayer.

Not strictly F1, but many of the drivers were also racing in F1 (Fangio, Moss, Hawthorne, Collins etc).

astrofluff wrote: »
    Red Bull took the moral high ground for once :rolleyes: - http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8764261/-Red-Bull-declined-Pirelli-test- - saying that they were offered the test (all teams were apparently) but they declined because it wasn't 'in line' with the rules.
    I would ****ing love to see some stats on delaminations. To me they seem less common over the last 2 years, I'm sure they would slander Pirelli for their own gain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

FIA tribunal to meet before the British Grand Prix. Pirelli are in the dock with Mercedes.

I really hope Pirelli don't tell FIA/FOM to shove it as I really doubt there could be an F1 season next year without them. There simply wouldn't be time to find a new supplier, get a contract together and develop tyres in time for the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Rascasse wrote: »
    FIA tribunal to meet before the British Grand Prix. Pirelli are in the dock with Mercedes.

I really hope Pirelli don't tell FIA/FOM to shove it as I really doubt there could be an F1 season next year without them. There simply wouldn't be time to find a new supplier, get a contract together and develop tyres in time for the new season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pirelli walked away with the crap being thrown at them to be honest. The tyres they are producing for F1 are being made to the FIA regulations, but from what I've been reading on other forums is that some people won't buy Pirelli tyres for their cars etc due to the tyres Pirelli are supplying to F1.

As for other tyre makers making a bid to supply tyres to F1, they could be looking at all the crap Pirelli are getting and saying to themselves do we really need this.

• Advertisement

Smallad130528.jpg

Looks like we might have 21 races next season with Bahrain to hold the opening race.

Source: Sky Sports.

Hopefully Melbourne will be the opening race of the season as it would suck if Bahrain held the opening race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Vettel has extended his contract at Red Bull to the end of 2015 - no news on the second seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

My wifes uncle emailed her tonight. He lives in New Jersey. He mentioned in the email that his local paper reported on Sunday that the F1 race there is definitely going ahead next year. It looks like a done deal according to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

My wifes uncle emailed her tonight. He lives in New Jersey. He mentioned in the email that his local paper reported on Sunday that the F1 race there is definitely going ahead next year. It looks like a done deal according to him.

I'll believe it when I see it...lots of work needs to be done in the next few months before it would even be possible to add it to a provisional calendar for 2014

frostie500 wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it...lots of work needs to be done in the next few months before it would even be possible to add it to a provisional calendar for 2014

Howso? In terms of physical work surely it's about a month at most to convert the area and the route should have been chosen to be easy to convert. Unless there's potholes etc. everywhere but even then it's just a matter of re-surfacing a few miles of road.

Unless of course you mean politics and pay-offs, that could be done tomorrow or in 10 years. :pac:

frostie500 wrote: »

EJ questioned Bernie about the Jersey race on the gridwalk and made the point to Bernie that he would not be in negotiations if he didn't think it was going to happen

Infoanon wrote: »
    EJ questioned Bernie about the Jersey race on the gridwalk and made the point to Bernie that he would not be in negotiations if he didn't think it was going to happen

I wouldn't take Bernie's word for anything tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just from what I had been told in Monaco by a couple of different people who said that there was extensive work to be done on pit buildings/race control and other construction. You're right in saying that the track wouldn't take long to be ready but the infrastructure etc. takes a lot more effort. I just don't see it happening next season

Bernie has been commenting on the upcoming tribunal and laying the blame firmly at Mercedes feet - comparing the situation to being offered stolen goods...

He was stated that there was a long term deal with Pirelli.....which we know is not true, and made vague references to Pirelli having signed up the teams they want to race with - implying a second supplier in 2014.....as an earlier poster has said - I would not believe everything Bernie says !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22946026

Murray Walker diagnosed with cancer. They found it early so hopefully he will beat it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I was looking forward to hearing his voice at Silverstone. Its amazing how a voice that I barely remember from my childhood is so synonymous with F1 in my mind. Hopefully he will overcome it and will be around for next years British GP.

Who would have though him braking his pelvis would be a good thing for his health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hopefully he battles through it, such a synonymous voice with F1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The breaking of his pelvis could turn out to be a God send in the end! Hopefully the early detection of the cancer will mean a good recovery.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    The breaking of his pelvis could turn out to be a God send in the end! Hopefully the early detection of the cancer will mean a good recovery.

This might be an ignorant statement as I'm no doctor but in general at that age cancers don't seem to be so aggressive so hopefully it won't have any major effect on his lifespan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Potentially another spat brewing at the mo. There are claims in Autosprint magazine that Red Bull might have been running defacto traction control in Canada.

Article here:

supporting video here

Red Bull were forced to ditch an engine map at Hockenheim last year as it was deemed to be a form of traction control as it was reducing engine torque without regard to what the drivers right foot was commanding from the engine....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I find that implausible. If Webber's Red Bull DID have traction control, I'd say the tyre marks left behind would be much shorter, if they're even there in the first place.

Plus, there is the bumpy nature of the Gilles Villeneuve Circuit to factor in.

I dont know, I would have thought any traction control system would be acting faster than that appears to be doing regardless of how it was engineered.
    Any chance its related to how he has just ran over a line of cement dust there? Indeed, the right side wheel appears to leave a more continuous line until he hits what seems to be a line of cement dust off the racing line.
    Would a bit of cement dust kill the surface of the tyre to this extent though to the point that even the amount of wheel slip that would be going on to leave a rubber mark wouldnt immediately clean up the tyre surface.
    Only other thing I can think of is some kind of wheel tramp but all being well, I cant imagine that being present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I thought the standard McLaren ECU used by all teams prevented any possible traction control systems being used...

• Advertisement

Take a look at this pic here, you can see dotted lines coming from the back of the Red Bull in front of continuous black tyre marks.

1371396360_homefull.jpg

Advertisement