Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

frostie500 wrote: »
    Worth mentioning that it's 19 years today since Roland Ratzenberger died at Imola

Then we all know what day tomorrow is then.

Fcuk ... I remember watching the race (was living in London) and that night afterwards phoning my father who was in disbelief too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

James Allison has left Lotus, thats a huge blow to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There is a SureF1 experience open in grand canal dock it seems as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

New Jersey GP next year looking increasingly unlikely.

For N.J. Formula 1 race, more bumps in the road

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Williams and Sauber. What a difference a year makes.

This time last year Williams had won a race and scored 43 points. Not a single point so far this year.

Sauber had scored 41 points by this time last year. Only scored 5 points so far this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Williams and Sauber. What a difference a year makes.

This time last year Williams had won a race and scored 43 points. Not a single point so far this year.

Sauber had scored 41 points by this time last year. Only scored 5 points so far this year.

Was thinking the same myself, they were so often in top ten poking top runners last year.
    Now they're replaced by McLaren in that task. Force India is doing well in this group, keeping up with correct developments.

Btw Sauber has only one good solid driver. Kobayashi or Kovalainen would have scored at least another 5 points..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

flazio wrote: »

When do the new engines come in, is it 2014 or 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

2014. So one year of the new engines with Mercedes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

2014. So one year of the new engines with Mercedes.

Hmm, so would Merc have any reason to be concerned about McLaren gleeming insight into their engine tech for a full season, before bringing everything they know to Honda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

EnterNow wrote: »
    Hmm, so would Merc have any reason to be concerned about McLaren gleeming insight into their engine tech for a full season, before bringing everything they know to Honda?

Exactly - I read recently (not sure where) that Mercedes are already(they have known about the Honda deal for a while) denying McLaren data and information about the new unit. I would imagine next year will be very difficult for them trying to work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

McLaren are very adept at gaining data they're not meant to have so this shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I wonder will they get rid of the red and silver livery and go back to red and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

recyclebin wrote: »
    I wonder will they get rid of the red and silver livery and go back to red and white.

Cant imagine why they would to be honest, it would be nice from a retro standpoint but the red and white is so specific to Marlboro that there'd be little incentive for McLaren to revert back to it. I'd like them to use their orange livery if they move from the silver

Silver would be a mercedes colour so I can see them changing that. Perez will probably bring Telmex to replace Vodafone for next season so it could be all change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Some nice fan stuff popping up
    McLaren-2015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

Don't like that scheme, shapes are a bit weird and don't suit the car body plus it looks like it's a re-liveried F138 (McLaren copy room at work again?). Can't say this is much better but a return to the original McLaren orange would be interesting. Surely the Honda branding would be far more prevalent though? I like these fan mock ups but it seems a lot of these lads aren't clued in with Vodafone branding still on the car.

a875673679d87965e04daadb1a5a7286.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Don't like that scheme, shapes are a bit weird and don't suit the car body plus it looks like it's a re-liveried F138 (McLaren copy room at work again?). Can't say this is much better but a return to the original McLaren orange would be interesting. Surely the Honda branding would be far more prevalent though? I like these fan mock ups but it seems a lot of these lads aren't clued in with Vodafone branding still on the car.
    It looks closer to the Arrows of '99. I can't see them going with the same shade of orange, it will translate to the TV worse than the chrome does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Williams to use Mercedes engines in 2014, '15 and '16.

Cheaper and probably more powerful than Renault.

Do Williams know something we don't about the new engines or is it just money?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

And McLaren will be using Honda Power next year.

Why dont McLaren build their own F1 engines???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Do Williams know something we don't about the new engines or is it just money?

Now all they need is 2 good drivers.:pac::pac:

paddy147 wrote: »
    And McLaren will be using Honda Power next year

Not next year, the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

paddy147 wrote: »
    Why dont McLaren build their own F1 engines???

They wouldn't have a clue how to do it as good as the current engine suppliers do it. And making engines for F1 looses money, the only reason the current engine suppliers do it is for the technological advancements it brings to their company.

Toro Rosso have confirmed their switch to Renault next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Major row brewing at the mo in Monaco: apparently Mercedes were "invited" by Pirelli to take part in a private 1000km test session behind closed doors at Barcelona following the last grand prix there. Whilst it appears that the rules / tyre agreements do provide for this, other teams are highly annoyed because that same test could also have been used by Mercedes to address issues with and develop its own car in tandem with testing the tyres. There's already talk of protests being raised by other teams.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/18433?sid=dc0b527dda48ddce421b3fffeafb4ee8

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107671

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22672228

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Mercedes doing a sneaky tyre test, apparently approved by the FIA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22672228
    Sources say governing body the FIA knew about the test, with contracts outside the rules allowing it to happen.

The tyres used at the test were development designs for next season, as well as a new tyre Pirelli wants to introduce at next month's Canadian Grand Prix.

F1 Journo Adam Cooper quizzed Pirelli's Paul Hembery on the situation.
    Q: Can you clarify what the situation is?

“We have an agreement with the FIA that states we can do 1000kms tyre testing. It’s something that we had back in the World Rally Championship as well. Last year we wrote to the teams saying this and inviting teams to say yes or no, whether they were willing to do it. Some teams said yes, and some didn’t reply.”

Q: Why was Mercedes involved in the testing?

“Because they were one of the teams that said they would do it. It’s really that. We were in discussions to do some other testing with another team in the future.”

Find the full Q&A here: http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/05/26/paul-hembery-qa-pirellis-view-on-the-secret-mercedes-test-controversy/

Lots of developing news from that tyre test story:

Adam Cooper on twitter
    #F1 Pirelli is arguing with teams about 2014 deal, arguing with some teams/Bernie/public/media about 2013 tyres, and now this...

#F1 No exaggeration to say that the fallout could lead to no Pirelli in F1 next year - and a chance for AN Other to come in...

#F1 A key issue will be ongoing lack of trust, transparency etc, especially for those teams already in conflict with Pirelli

#F1 Ross Brawn and Merc drivers asked at press conferences about work done on tyres since Spain, no mention of the test

#F1 Paul Hembery did 80 mins of media on Wednesday, 2 press confs and TV, no mention of the testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Surely the teams had to notice that Merc weren't packing away the cars?

And the FIA can hardly say anything now to Mercedes if they gave written permission in the first place.

Advertisement