Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aftershave? deodorant? etc?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭risteardb

i use Lynx Dark temptation and Paco Robane 1 million after shave, and women keep on coming up smelling my neck and ask me what i'm wearing......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I recently dumped the sprays and went back to Mitchum roll on.

Does a job, but I perspire alot and in fairness have never come across anything that that deals with that for me.

Kinda ****ty state of affairs, most of my t-shirts and shirts are bought on the basis will it show a sweat patch : / Mitchum doesn't seem to be really working that well to be honest. Better then previous products I've used.

Any other recommendations for a sweatbox like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

TheDoc wrote: »
    I recently dumped the sprays and went back to Mitchum roll on.

Does a job, but I perspire alot and in fairness have never come across anything that that deals with that for me.

Kinda ****ty state of affairs, most of my t-shirts and shirts are bought on the basis will it show a sweat patch : / Mitchum doesn't seem to be really working that well to be honest. Better then previous products I've used.

Any other recommendations for a sweatbox like myself?

Roll ons are rubbish anway.

I find the best is the L'Oreal 48 hour protection one. Been using it since it first came out. Its very good.
    I'll be honest, im not someone that sweats a lot, but its certainly my favourite.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Roll ons are rubbish anway.

I find the best is the L'Oreal 48 hour protection one. Been using it since it first came out. Its very good.
    I'll be honest, im not someone that sweats a lot, but its certainly my favourite.

I sweat abnormally, so I guess our comparisons arnt great haha :)

I got rid of Lynx YEARS ago. Sure probably had the longest run but it never curbed any perspiring at all. I'm yet to find an anti-perspirant that actually helps.

Have to go into a boots today for something else so figure I'd pick up something to try out :)

I got rid of Lynx YEARS ago. Sure probably had the longest run but it never curbed any perspiring at all. I'm yet to find an anti-perspirant that actually helps.

Have to go into a boots today for something else so figure I'd pick up something to try out :)

Do try the L'Oreal stuff though. Its brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Radox do a good one., smells good too! My 3rd or 4th can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Have you tried driclor? It's a roll on you put on at night and wash off in the morning. Does a great job at preventing sweating. Make sure your armpits are dry or it will sting something awful. Boots sell it.

Do try the L'Oreal stuff though. Its brilliant.

Using it all this week so far.

Got the 48hr ice fresh or something.

Have to say smells lovely, and it looked to be working ok, but still getting some serious perspiration, and the inevitable sweat patches.

Actual odour has never been a problem, funny considering the amount I perspire. I'll stick with it for a while longer though, smells nicer then Mitchum and Mitchum really wasn't doing anything to warrant the more costly price : /

Using it all this week so far.

Got the 48hr ice fresh or something.

Have to say smells lovely, and it looked to be working ok, but still getting some serious perspiration, and the inevitable sweat patches.

Actual odour has never been a problem, funny considering the amount I perspire. I'll stick with it for a while longer though, smells nicer then Mitchum and Mitchum really wasn't doing anything to warrant the more costly price : /

Thats the one i use most of the time, smells lovely. Great for work.

Because it smells so strong i tend not to wear it when im going out as it clashes with my aftershave.
    There's a L'Oreal one that doesnt have such a strong smell that i use when im going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Reading over this thread has me thinking that I may be in the minority.

I've never really used aftershave, then again I do have a beard so it kinda strikes me as being a tad pointless using it.

Right or wrong way to go gents?

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »

I've never really used aftershave, then again I do have a beard so it kinda strikes me as being a tad pointless using it.

Yeah, get rid of the beard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd be pointing you towards Eau de toilette which is basically a fragrance - not dependent on shaving etc.

It gives you a nice scent (depending on which one you choose however :))

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'd be pointing you towards Eau de toilette which is basically a fragrance - not dependent on shaving etc.

It gives you a nice scent (depending on which one you choose however :))

Might be worth checking out actually.

Presume you just dab a bit onto your hands and then rub into whatever part of the face you want to fragrance? (Horrifically newbish question to be asking I know :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Surprised no one mentioned Extreme by Paul Smith. It's not too expensive & has a long lasting tone. Issey Miyaki was probably my first real aftershave purchase many years ago & the citrus smell is still hard to beat

Presume you just dab a bit onto your hands and then rub into whatever part of the face you want to fragrance? (Horrifically newbish question to be asking I know :o )
    Sure you know what they say 'there are no stupid questions...' :)

You can do that or you can actually just spray it onto your neck - normally one small spray either side will do you and I tend to spray some on my wrist and then rub my wrists together. As I type it out - I don't know exactly why I do that but meh, haters gona hate :pac:

If you dont want to put any directly on your face :
    Just put one or two drops or sprays on your hands, then clap gently (to spread the smell out evenly) and rub the side and back of your neck.
    Same effect.

I've no idea why men spray their wrists though, seems kinda.... ;)

Comes in a spray dude! ;) One to the chest, and one or two sprays to the neck is usually enough! Spraying too much is a sin, punishable by death

I've no idea why men spray their wrists though, seems kinda.... ;)

*raises ban banner :pac:

*raises ban banner :pac:

I think I might try ban myself purposely from the Liverpool thread.
    The nonsense in there is ridiculous with the anti Rodgers brigade.
    Think I've had enough tbh.

But don't ban me from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Sure you know what they say 'there are no stupid questions...' :)

You can do that or you can actually just spray it onto your neck - normally one small spray either side will do you and I tend to spray some on my wrist and then rub my wrists together. As I type it out - I don't know exactly why I do that but meh, haters gona hate :pac:

Because they say perfume-aftershave smells better on a pulse, i.e neck and wrist area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Any advice on picking aftershave? deodorant etc?

I've noticed nice smell of people who could be far enough away but yet not over powering and would love to be the same!

but is hard to know if you do i think as i have heard you become kinda immune to smell you have on after getting used to it i believe?

any advice on good aftershaves, deodorant etc?

Would love to have a noticeable scent throughout the day! but something hopefully not too expensive! im on a student budget somewhat.

Some men usually use an aftershave and it makes them more comfortable. It is also a way of proper hygiene because of the scent. An <a href="http://www.squidoo.com/best-aftershave-for-men">aftershave for men</a> should be in its best quality to avoid any irritations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Lads I dont mean to be a killjoy or anything but deodorants have been linked with cancer and alzheimers disease. I know we're told everything gives us cancer these days but just have a look at the list of ingrediants on your average can of deodorant......its a very long list and as a rule of thumb anything with that many ingrediants(especically chemicals)cant be good for you. I stopped using store bought deodorants and started making my own and theres been a pretty big difference. First and foremost, I actually sweat less from my armpits. I firmly believe that store bought deodorants make you sweat more. Theres no smell at all from my armpits, even after I've been training. I've noticed that I feel healthier in general.

Im not here to get into an argument or debate with anybody Im just giving people a heads up just in case they didnt know the doubts surrounding commercially made deodorants. If you're interested heres the recipe for the deodorant I use. Its really good, theres a nice smell off it, not overpowering or anything but it does the job. But best of all its 100% natural and contains no aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

That sir, is for crusties, not gentlemen.

Is that some sort of sick joke?

i bet the women go wild when they see you've packed your pits with paste... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Usually just use Sure for anti-pers, but thinking of switching to Mitchum for the summer as I've heard good things.
    I use a Burts Bees aftershave balm which has a gorgeous scent to it anyway, but if I haven't shaved I'll use an eau de toilette, usually something I've been given tbh. Have Occitane en Provence and a Chanel Allure at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

All the scare stories I've heard are about Aluminium compounds, which are only used in anti-perspirants. So it's extremely easy to avoid that risk: just buy deodorants that aren't anti-perspirants too. The Tesco "FXM" range is a good inexpensive example.

Worrying about "chemicals" is a red herring. Water is a chemical. Soap is a chemical. Heck, soup is a chemical. You need to be a little more specific. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Soup as deoderant, got it.

Are you a Tomato & basil or Carrot & Coriander man? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Soup as deoderant, got it.

Are you a Tomato & basil or Carrot & Coriander man? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 allrich0403

I'm really into sports and I also like socializing. So I have two kinds. I have adidas after a full packed sport activity and then cool waters for my night out. but try going to a department store and check the aftershave for men that they have. It could help a lot if you test them out first.

Advertisement