Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aftershave? deodorant? etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,952 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's a beautiful fragrance. A favourite of mine. Eau De Toilette being the one to choose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm a simple fellow, when it comes to aftershave I use Old Spice. Not that I shave fairly often.

Spray wise, as mentioned above by someone else early, the Boss original stuff is quite nice.

Don't use anti-deoderants / anti-persperants all that much myself, so couldn't really comment on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Whenever I use a deodorant I use Lynx, cheap and cheerful :o

For an occasion, Armani Mania for a bit of class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think some of you folks missed what the OP said about his student budget ..! Lynx is not cheap. I was a mature student for several years, and found the Tesco own brand deo more than adequate, the ones now going by the name "FXM". The Aldi "Lacura" ones are OK too, cheaper though not quite as nice-smelling.

(Just deo, I don't bother with anti-perspirants - if I genuinely need to sweat, I don't see why I have to fight it. I don't have a salesman / shirt-and-tie kind of job.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've never found any anti-perspirant that did what it said on the tin, and I don't buy it thinking I'll all of a sudden stop sweating. But, they are made with the sweating man in mind, and imo still smell good after sweating.

Lynx, on the other hand, smells fúcking rancid when a bit of sweat is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Stick Mitchum under the arms in the morning to stop any potential sweat or unwanted stenches :pac: during the day and I love Dior Homme Sport the last couple of weeks but anything by Diesel (Fuel for Life, Only the Brave etc.) or Hugo Boss (Hugo Just Different or Orange). I like to mix it up.

I let the girls choose for me. Takes the pressure off and I least I know the people who will be smelling these things the most have had a hand in choosing the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

This stuff is great, not expensive, and the women love it!

About 32 euro. Cheap compared to others.

PNATION2270.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've never found any anti-perspirant that did what it said on the tin, and I don't buy it thinking I'll all of a sudden stop sweating. But, they are made with the sweating man in mind, and imo still smell good after sweating.

Lynx, on the other hand, smells fúcking rancid when a bit of sweat is involved.

You might just need a more heavy duty solution. Something like Drysol will definitely stop you sweating completely if applied regularly.

I did get a smile out of reading the side of an anti-p tin once and under "possible side effects" was written "Itching, irrationation and increased sweating".

It game me a moment similar to the guy in Douglas Adams' book when he read the instructions on the side of a packet of tooth picks and decided the world was mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I don't use either anti-perspirant or deodorant I prefer to wash regularly.

The only after shave solution that I use is water.

The smell – natural, clean and human – no chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,952 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Condatis wrote: »

I wash/shower at least once a day. Still use anti perspirant for a nice smell, and to help with sweating should it arise.

Condatis wrote: »

Wow, you're like, so cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Wow, you're like, so cool.

Apparently putting all of these types of chemicals on your body can cause cancer. Less is more when it comes to using chemicals...shower gels, shampoo, deo, aftershave etc

Your skin absorbs the chemicals into your blood stream. Parabans are a preservative used in a lot of products that is a suspect cancergenic. Deo sprays contain aluminium etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Paco Rabanne is nice and can be got for half price (€26) in McCabes Pharmacy in Dundrum at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Only anti-perspirants contain the aluminium, not pure Deodorants: that is what absorbs the sweat. That's one reason why I stick to Deos only - I don't need the aluminium.

But assuming that "chemicals" are harmful is a bit of a red herring. Some are, some aren't, and it's not wise to generalise. Water is a chemical. For example, your toothpaste contains a chemical called sodium dodecyl sulfate a.k.a sodium lauryl sulfate. It's basically soap, it's what causes the foaming action. Is it harmful? You'd have to eat a lot of it ... but an Internet search will soon turn up someone who thinks it's a clear and present danger to your health.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Christ almighty, people are living longer than they ever have and life expectancy is going up all the time, anti-perspirant is not going to kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Anything by Hugo Boss is a winner. It's so consistenly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Stay away from Paco Rabanne's One Million, everyone has it... Try "Dreamer" by Versace, or Thierry Mugler's Angel Man "Pure Malt", Chanel "Allure Homme Sport", D&G "The One" (brown juice not the newer blue one) or Issey Miyake "l'eau d'issey".... they're all guaranteed to be a hit with anyone who smells them off you

Connorzee wrote: »
    Stay away from Paco Rabanne's One Million, everyone has it...

So?

• Advertisement

So?

so if you wanna smell like everyone else (and by everyone i mean women too, because the womens version is practically the same), go for it. If you wanna be unique, and still smell nice and not like every other fella, try the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Whats the cheapest you can get Paco Rabanne - One Million?

Have to try it now as ive seen so many good reviews!

Connorzee wrote: »
    so if you wanna smell like everyone else (and by everyone i mean women too, because the womens version is practically the same), go for it. If you wanna be unique, and still smell nice and not like every other fella, try the above.
    That's interesting coming from someone recommending Versace, Chanel & D&G. Those brands must be hard to find in the underground cologne market.

Good luck with being "unique".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Condatis I've deleted your last post because I don't feel it's relevant to the discussion.

The OP is looking for advice on choice of aftershave/deodorant not a run down of how either work

Back on topic please

That's interesting coming from someone recommending Versace, Chanel & D&G. Those brands must be hard to find in the underground cologne market.

Good luck with being "unique".

Not sure what your problem is. You having a bad week? If you're trying to call my bluff, i'll spell it out. Line up the smells and 9/10 someone will know the One Million, and not the other fragrances i recommended. Half the stuff by D&G is bollocks so im not recommending brands, just the fragrances.

If you REALLY want some hard to find "underground cologne market fragrances", and you have a few hundred euro to spend on a bottle, go for Creed's "Aventus", or "Green Irish Tweed", or "Kobe" by Xer Doff..... but you already knew them didnt you? ;)

Green Irish Tweed is supposed to be savage but you'd want to be pretty flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Sorry for digging up an ageing thread.

202959291.Jpeg

This is by far my favourite scent I own.

I'm also quite fond of two more budget scents that I have purchased, Next Intense and Zara Silver.

0045238999_1_1_3.jpg?timestamp=1347471437121
    bdbf9776ade89caf76320b96f10bca12_thumb_product.jpg

I'm not too sure about the Zara brand for lasting power as I haven't owned it very long but I find the Next scent lasts me through the day.

Others that I own are CK's One and Joop! Go.

One is nice.
    ck-one-b.jpg

While I'm not overly fond of Joop!

But there's so many scents out there how can I possibly know which is the best one for me?

If price was no factor I'd have to say Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men is a front runner at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I like the Loreal Men Expert roll on, the Fresh Extreme (blue) one.

These roll ons have extra large balls, it seemed like the natural choice... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

DazMarz wrote: »
    Mitchum roll-on is one of the best ones out there. Nice fragrance too.

For aftershave, Hugo Boss Original is also one of the best going. Light enough and strong enough to be equally pleasant and long-lasting without being over-powering. Davidoff Hot Water is also a nice one. Fahrenheit by Dior is also a nice one.

But it's different strokes for different folks. See which suits you and see what you like.

This man knows what he's talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Marks and Spencer deo's... unreal stuff smells nice

Then Pie by Givenchi... i think thats how you spell it.

PULLING POWA!

Advertisement