Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aftershave? deodorant? etc?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Any advice on picking aftershave? deodorant etc?

I've noticed nice smell of people who could be far enough away but yet not over powering and would love to be the same!

but is hard to know if you do i think as i have heard you become kinda immune to smell you have on after getting used to it i believe?

any advice on good aftershaves, deodorant etc?

Would love to have a noticeable scent throughout the day! but something hopefully not too expensive! im on a student budget somewhat.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You shouldn't be wearing enough deodorant for someone to be able to smell it far away from you but aftershave possibly. Boots have a special on at the moment, some perfumes are up to half price so I assume it is the same for some men's fragrances too. Go in, sniff them all and see what you like :)

Edited to add: don't try them all on! Just smell them or use the little sample paper slips and spray onto them

• Registered Users Posts: 54,943 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Best deodorant is Sure or Nivea. Always get an anti perspirant. Afterhave? I am a divil for it. Must have 6-7 bottles. I love Jean Paul Gaultier and Fahrenheit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Prefer role on deodorant to spray. Nivea have a nice inexpensive range. As for aftershave, im a fan of Acqua Di Gio by Armani.

Stay away from that Lynx crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

My advice is to ask your girl-friends. That way you'll find what's cool in your peer group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I only use Sure anti-perspirant / deodorant. I don't use aftershave - I'm not even certain what it's supposed to do other than be a perfume? However, there is a guy who drinks in my local and he swims in aftershave - it's overpowering. Apparently the reason is that the smell is 4 times stronger for the non-wearer than it is for the wearer of the perfume. So he keeps piling it on till he can smell it and it makes the rest of us wretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

There's no advice anyone can give you really. You need to try those items out for yourself, like a big boy would do. Just go easy on the aftershave, a little goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Mitchum roll-on is one of the best ones out there. Nice fragrance too.

For aftershave, Hugo Boss Original is also one of the best going. Light enough and strong enough to be equally pleasant and long-lasting without being over-powering. Davidoff Hot Water is also a nice one. Fahrenheit by Dior is also a nice one.

But it's different strokes for different folks. See which suits you and see what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

DazMarz wrote: »
    Mitchum roll-on is one of the best ones out there. Nice fragrance too.
    I like Mitchum ... it has that fresh soapy clean smell ...

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

L'Oreal is the only anti-p i use. It has a lovely fresh smell and no white residue which is vital.
    So its a 10/10 from me and i've tried them all.
    Nivea is probably the next best.

Roll ons are rubbish unless you have the spare time to stand with your arms up in the air for 15 minutes while it dries :D If not, its a sticky and uncomfortable mess.

Hard to advice on aftershaves as every one is different.
    Try stay away from the common one's like Armani Code, CK and JPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Aftershave - DavidOff Cool Waters / Diesel Masculine at the moment there are about 10 others around

Deo, Always antiperspirant - Sanex antiperspirant

Sanex-For-Men-Dermo-Invisible-Deodorant-Spray-26975.jpg%3Fo%3De4IqaGjyX69xJWVNPETk9l1d6nYj%26V%3Dg58D%26w%3D250%26h%3D250%26r%3D2

Was using a Deo Soap to at one stage which I expected a better clean smell from but nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

Piliger wrote: »
    I like Mitchum ... it has that fresh soapy clean smell ...

Mitchum is the only way to go for Deodorant. Works great, no sweat patches. My aftershave of choice at the moment is D&G The One, but can be a bit pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

I'm old school - Lynx Africa for deodorant and Calvin Klein for aftershave! Been that way since secondary school 10 years ago (might be time for a change!)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

Paco rabanne - one million. smells amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

This stuff, if you can get it....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm a big believer in not skimping on scent. Cheap =/= cheerful. Use a small amount of a good quality scent- it'll last far longer and it'll settle down very nicely throughout the day. Layering is a good idea- if you can use a deodorant or body lotion in the same scent as your aftershave it will last longer, which will stop you overdosing.

When you're choosing a new scent, go in and try on two, maximum (on different wrists) and then leave. Check your wrists periodically throughout the day- scents go through a load of different stages, and what smells nice on one persons skin, will be very very different on someone else.

As for generally nice smells, I love

Aqua Di Gio

1255100346_acqua-di-gio_1.jpg

Molton Brown Cracked Black Pepper
    Molton-Brown-Black-Pepper-500x356.jpg

and pretty much anything from Tom Ford, in particular

Black Orchid

_5356408.jpg

or Grey Vetivier

400-tom-ford-grey-vetiver-08112011-medium_new.jpg

Any girl I know that smells them melts on the spot.

Stay away from anything by Lynx, a car company, or a sports team. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Just my female opinion.
    Stay away from lynx, to those that do use it, a small bit is plenty. Less is most definitely more.
    Try gillette deodorant. The nicest smelling one out there imo. €2 in the euro saver shops.
    Try lacoste aftershave, very reasonable in the purfume shops. The green bottle.
    Just my opinion anyway. but defo no lynx please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Lynx is like cat's piss. Avoid it like the plague. It's for teenage boys only.

Also, try and steer clear of Joop! aftershave. It's nice enough, but very, very overpowering.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Joop! for men is offensive. You can smell it through walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Sanex antiperspirant and for aftershave I use Hugo Boss ,CK 1 or Euphoria. Can't go wrong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dove for Men Anti-P & Paco Rabanne - One Million are my current deodorant/cologne. Can't fault either one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1 on Nivea Deo spray, best I've used.

I tried Sure and it just didnt work for me at all, was stinky at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Dove Men+ Care deodorant/antiperspirant plus any Hugo Boss aftershave/eau de toilette is a guaranteed winner in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

dove men care and nivea make the best antiperspirant, as for aftershave, its all about personal preference. As I said above my favourite would be paco rabanne - one million or jean paul gautier - le male ( i think ). Best thing is to go boots and try out a few different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you are on a budget M and S do some lovely aftershaves. They have testers so you can try them before you buy them. I like there Autograph intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Highly recommend Nivea products especially their roll on deodrant and moisturizer

Regarding aftershave, I have too many at the moment but I'd recommend the following highly:

Armani Code
    Bleu De Chanel

Or the latest one I got which I quite like - Issey Miyake Sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

My other half has mentioned on a couple of occasions that he used to love the Fahrenheit aftershave but that he hasn't bought it in years.

He hasn't worn aftershave in years apparently as he went travelling for a while and then returned to no job and got out of the habit I suppose. He said he used to switch between it and CK.

I have looked up the Fahrenheit aftershave after hearing that another couple of girls I know said they loved it on men but now when I look for it there seems to be a couple of varities of it...one called 32 and another in a red bottle.

Can you guys clarify for me which is the 'original' or the one you think people are referring to when they mention Fahrenheit?

Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This is the original

Fahrenheit.jpg

It was great as a young lad to hide the smell of smoke from your clothes :D

Advertisement