Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie stars with a perfect filmography?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Clint Eastwood

Al Pacino

The worst they have had is mediocre movies.

Paint Your Wagon and Dick Tracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Isn't this just another 'name an actor who has never made a bad film thread' with added Tom Cruise homoerotic undertones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Tom Cruise.......even his brief appearance in 'American Psycho' novel - sharing a lift with bateman - was a winner.

That moment in Tropic Thunder when you realise the balding pudgy man with glasses is Tom Cruise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    I can name 2... Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks. I've seen and own every Tom Cruise movie ever made (Aside from his early non-starring roles, but everything from Risky Business to Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol... Holding off on buying M:i:GP until the Blu-Ray box set) and there isn't a movie i'd rate lower than 3 stars (Risky Business gets 3, everything else gets 4 to 5). Tom Hanks, save for his 2 recent movies, i've seen 'em all and own most, and again would rate none any lower than 3 stars. Anyone got any other stars?

What was the one he was in with Cameron Diaz recently, think he was a hitman in it, I cant remember the name because thankfully my brain blocks out such sh1te. Just saw it was Knight and Day, yes that was a load of tripe.

Daniel Day Lewis as others have said seems to only make a film every few years and they are usually very good with great performances from him. There will be blood being one of the best performances ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

krudler wrote: »

:(

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I think Far And Away is a beautiful movie, really well made, lovely locations, brilliant story and it's dripping in Ron Howard magic.
    Tom's an absolute legend

Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood. One of the worst movies i've ever watched, horribly overrated.
    I love Knight And Day,
    And moving to Tom Hanks, funny you should mention Angels & Demons, which just happens to be my favourite movie of his

Twilight 1 and 3 are fantastic movies. Am i wrong? Tell me so. And tell me why. This is nothing to do with my opinions, it's all of our opinions to which we debate on everything. Or do we just agree on everything?

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

With Tom cruise I'd say it's more a case of finding his good films rather than his bad ones from his filmography. Off the top of my head I'd say his good ones are Collateral, Interview With a Vampire, Born on the Fourth of July and Magnolia.
    Tom Hanks is alright though, I'd say his 'bad' films are more just average than actually bad. Of course there is The DaVinci Code which is awful. Angels & Demons, though I haven't seen, got a good thrashing from anyone I know who saw it.

Who said anyone was wrong? Name these bad George Clooney movies, of course i'll tell you you're wrong as i've just stated he's never made a bad movie. It doesn't mean you are wrong, you're supposed to debate.

Twilight 1 and 3 are fantastic movies. Am i wrong? Tell me so. And tell me why. This is nothing to do with my opinions, it's all of our opinions to which we debate on everything. Or do we just agree on everything?

Take a look at any Clooney film made before ER and you'll find some terrible entries on his CV. Likewise Batman and Robin, so crap that if you tell Clooney you paid to see it he will give you the price of a cinema ticket.

The Twilight films are terrible and if you think they are fantastic films that says all we need to know about your film preferences.

Oh and Keaton has done very poor films, anything he made over the past decade has been pretty terrible.

PS - A movie star who has never starred in a flop movie has a perfect filmography, regardless of what anyone thinks of their work. Movies are made for money, if they make money, they're a success, so let's forget about TC.

Yawn.... You really have no idea what cinema is about. Making money is a major part if it but great cinema sets out to move, to excite, to entertain, to tell a story, to tackle issues... If you judge a film based on its box office then you have no idea how to judge a films quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

As previously stated, Cazale is pretty much the only film star that has a perfect filmography but there are plenty actors who choose their roles wisely. As well as Di Caprio, I would nominate Kate Winslet, Jennifer Connolly and Christian Bale as actors who consistently choose good roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What's wrong with the Twilight movies? My other half indulges in these as a guilty pleasure so I've had the misfortune of seeing most of them.

Twilight - An unsubtle propaganda piece for True Love Waits with a sparkly, vegetarian family of vampires that despite all looking old enough to pass as adults choose to endure High School on an endless loop.

Twilight - New Moon - a film about how sulking gets you what you want that portrays Native Americans in a bestial light.

Twilight - Eclipse - I think I fell asleep during this one as it's story was clearly so unmemorable, I can't remember much about it other than that the writers clearly had a field day inventing new ways to get Taylor Lautner's shirt off.

Twilight - Breaking Dawn Pt 1. - A return to form, if form is using movies aimed at teenage girls to bludgeon them over the head with a right-wing Christian message such as the anti-abortion line this movie attempts to force down their throats with a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jimmy Stewart.

Over 50 years worth of a back catalogue, and you will have to work hard to find a total stinker from the ones that he had a major starring role in.

Very high number of good to very good films to his name, with maybe 11 or 12 of his film possibly falling into the bracket of being a great film.

Many of his peers would have had a healthy ration of good films versus bad films. Names like Fonda, Marvin, Hepburn, Gable, Mitchum, Grant, and Peck. But none of them would have had, imho, as few by way of stinkers as Stewart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Reading this thread, has bad suddenly become good and vice versa all of a sudden? I think I missed a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Nicholas Cage. End Thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nicholas Cage. End Thread!

The BEEEES!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

For those saying Tom Hanks has a perfect filmgraphy.

Exhibit A

MV5BMTIzNDM0MTAzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE3MDMyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

Exhibit B

MV5BMTc1MzI5MTk2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDcxNzIzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR13,0,214,317_.jpg

I do like a large chunk of his movies though especially the earlier ones like The Money Pit, Big and The 'Burbs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

cadger1978 wrote: »
    I offer Guy Pearce. Flawed only by The Time Machine really.

And Bedtime Stories. And The Count of Monte Cristo (I think most people liked it but I thought it was average at best). Other than those few, he does have a great CV in fairness.

Paint Your Wagon was great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Joseph Cotten deserves a nomination:

"Orson Welles lists Citizen Kane as his best film, Alfred Hitchcock opts for Shadow of a Doubt and Sir Carol Reed chose The Third Man — and I'm in all of them."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I think we all know PaulB is jumping up and down on a sofa smiling maniacally while typing his posts....

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Marion Cotillard.

Possibly Ralph Fiennes? Haven't seen everything he's in though.

Leonardo di Caprio. I think The Beach is pretty good.

Every Twilight film is a disgrace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

PS - A movie star who has never starred in a flop movie has a perfect filmography, regardless of what anyone thinks of their work. Movies are made for money, if they make money, they're a success, so let's forget about TC.

My game, my rules? Sorry but I call bullsh*t on this; you talk about how everyones' got an opinion and everyone has to debate & get along, but you then decide to jettison the factors most around here would consider important to a debate on actors' merits - the actual craft of acting - then get itchy because people call you out on it. That's not a debate, that's just creating shopping-lists & easily done if all we're doing is finding the most profitable actors, go to google!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This conversation seems to be pretty recurring and it always just comes back to John Cazale. He died before he could make a bad movie, so really he's the only person who has a so-called "perfect" filmography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Adam Sandler. When future generations look back, they will declare, rather matter of factly, that the man was a true ledgend, way ahead of his time.
    ust look at his back catalogue, he is a genius and he knows a masterpiece when he sees one, his whole career is testament to thatHow he hasn't gotten an Oscar yet is mind boggling. J.In fact, the true indicatator that the Oscars stopped being relevant years ago, is the fact that Sandler fails to be acknowledged by the academy. **** em'. Sandler, one of the best, maybe the best, who would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

cadger1978 wrote: »
    I offer Guy Pearce. Flawed only by The Time Machine really.

Wasn't he in some ****e about a space prison lately?

"Locked Out" or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gbear wrote: »
    Wasn't he in some ****e about a space prison lately?

"Locked Out" or something.

"Lockout", it's actually pretty decent as guilty pleasures go. If you liked Escape from New York and those sort of early-80s blackly humorous, dystopian actioners, you'd like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

James Dean, Marlon Brando and Bruce Lee get my votes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

For me,it would be a toss up between Michael Douglas(The Game,Falling Down,Black Rain among my favourites) and Sean Penn( Mystic River,Milk).

Although both have an extensive list of successful (and enjoyable) films,I don't believe either are flawless.
    Which is good to know, aren't successful actors allowed to make mistakes like the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Philip Seymour Hoffman, has in fairness some catalog of decent films. He has 29 out of 48 films rated 7.0 or better on imdb, and only 5 out of 48 rated under 6..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Now I'm sure people could elaborate further here, but I certainly have never seen a bad Denzel Washington film

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Now I'm sure people could elaborate further here, but I certainly have never seen a bad Denzel Washington film

For Queen and Country, Heart Condition, Mississippi Masala, Virtuosity, Devil in a Blue Dress, John Q, Out of Time, Deja Vu, Taking of Phelm 123 and Unstoppable are all pretty mediocre. Nothing out right dreadful but not exactly anything to be proud of.

Takeshi Kitano has a pretty dam amazing CV, made even more do when you consider that he writes and directs most of his own stuff. Not many other film makers have consistently produced work of such a high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What's Eating Gilbert Grape is a great film and dicaprio is fantastic in it, not seen Marvin's room though.

I think Clooney is a great actor & director but we know where this is going to go. I'll say Batman & Robin is an awful film ( even Clooney himself admits it sucked) and you'll say "No it's great, Clooney was a brilliant Batman and Arnie was a riot" and we won't get anywhere. :D

That really has nothing to do with anything, success does not equal quality in any artistic medium. Both Hanks and Clooney have been in films that bombed so by that logic their filmographies should not be perfect in your eyes.

Also, I after that last post of yours i quoted, how can you say you want to debate and post something like that? So Tom Cruise is off limits in the discussion now because his films made money and you said so. I'm done with this thread I'm afraid.

I meant if no one wants to talk about Tom Cruise, if anyone does, i'm more than excited to tatke part it in, he's one of the greats, i just presumed by the negative reaction that perhaps it's best to leave well alone. After all, he was my choice, i wanted people to pick other actors and just just slam my picks :)

Of course, Tom Hanks and George Clooney have had bombs in their career, but not to me, which is my point. But in fairness, a perfect filmography is not solely based on opinions which was my point to the other member. The fact that every TC movie was a box office hit should at least warrant people to choose someone else and not have a dig at me :)

I do really like Batman & Robin and i would say both of what you've said. But the point of a debate is to get every viewpoint out of a topic that we can. If i say Arnie's great as Mr. Freeze, someone give me reasons why he's not. Imagine the US Presidential debates had both parties just threw their hands up and said "Yes yes, let's not debate, let's just agree to disagree!". Where's the fun in that? :cool: PS - You don't think George Clooney was the perfect choice for Batman/ Bruce Wayne? Putting the movie aside for a minute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

How about Kevin Spacey? Looking at his filmography the only possible flaw on it would be Pay It Forward. Reckon pretty much everything else he's done is respectable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement