Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why haven't we more Irish produced quiz shows ?

Options
13»

Comments

How has nobody mentioned 2PHAT? Admit it, you all wanted that moped.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Wasn't there one recently with Paidi o'Shea a sports themed one. Saw some clips from the advertising of it never the full thing but it looked wrank. Is he the highest profile sports star we can get to host a show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I'd watch a GAA quiz show hosted by Hector and Marty Morrissey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think an i'm a celebrity get me out of here based in Leitrim would be a big hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Yes to crystal maze. That show was brilliant. I think they show re-runs of it on some channel. The bald guy who used to host it was the best.

Yeah but instead of the Aztec, industrial zones etc they'd just have different fields in the Irish one.

''Now would you like to go to Field A (Medium sized field) or Field B (Field with cows)?"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Yeah but instead of the Aztec, industrial zones etc they'd just have different fields in the Irish one.

''Now would you like to go to Field A (Medium sized field) or Field B (Field with cows)?"

well they wouldn't really be fields,they'd just have less rocks than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

They could give away properties owned by NAMA as prizes. One way to shift them. Now for the last question you can win a Hotel in ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

pmcmahon wrote: »
    well they wouldn't really be fields,they'd just have less rocks than the others.

Different types of gates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Years ago on the Irish version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire the contestant didn't know the answer to a question so he used his 50/50. He still didn't know so asked the audience. Something like 20% of the audience voted for the two answers that had been eliminated in the 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The dumbing down of society!

We should still have quiz shows on TV for schools and colleges/universities like University Challenge for example.

If being good at maths, science, computing doesn't become important to us as a society we will just become a nation of dummies consuming asian technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

"Name that potato" (copyright)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,064 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bring back Where in the World :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Years ago on the Irish version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire the contestant didn't know the answer to a question so he used his 50/50. He still didn't know so asked the audience. Something like 20% of the audience voted for the two answers that had been eliminated in the 50/50.

I also remember that they had a question which asked what the capital of South Africa was and then proceeded to include Blomfontein, Pretoria and Cape Town as 3/4 possibilites. The odd thing is that South Africa technically has 3 capitals, those 3 cities. So any one of those answers would be correct,

The contestant said Pretoria and was apparently wrong, it was Cape Town. Ridiculous question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

withless wrote: »
    I'd watch a GAA quiz show hosted by Hector and Marty Morrissey.

It has already been done in Irish, but with the inspired substitution of the lovely Evanne Ní Chuillin for the not so lovely Marty.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&aid=73&rid=4284224&tpl=archnews&only=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MCMLXXV wrote: »

There was also one that I think was on a Friday that was like charades with different contestants each week headed up by either Derek Davis or Twink (I know, I know). It was actually quite funny from what I remember of it.

Play The Game, presented by Ronan Collins with Derek Davis and Tw***

It ran for years. I am surprised it hasn't been revived, because it must be the cheapest TV show ever.

It would be a passable Daytime Show, couldn't be any worse than the latest incarnation of The Afternoon Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

RossyG wrote: »
    It could work. David Norris could present it.
    Just no, the only thing Norris has in common with Stephen Fry is that he is gay.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 3rd level quiz, Challenging Times back. So long as that insufferable twat Kevin Myers wasn't allowed near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

I've just sent a format to RTE. It's called Look At the Head On Him and features four contestants being asked general knowledge questions. The gimmick is that at the end of each round they have to down a pint of Guinness. After a few rounds, there'll be jigsaw and other puzzles to complete and it ends on an assault course.

I've also sent them the idea for a reality show about shoemakers competing to make a pair of boots for his Holiness. It's called Cobblers to the Pope.

This time next year I expect to be obscenely rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Skid wrote: »
    Play The Game, presented by Ronan Collins with Derek Davis and Tw***

It ran for years. I am surprised it hasn't been revived, because it must be the cheapest TV show ever.

It would be a passable Daytime Show, couldn't be any worse than the latest incarnation of The Afternoon Show.

I dunno about cheap, you'd have to pay the so-called celebs an appearance fee, they don't do it for the good of their health.

Advertisement