Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why haven't we more Irish produced quiz shows ?

Options
  • 20-11-2012 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

If we look at our neighbours across the water all their TV stations have any number of quiz shows. Irish TV then take the idea and copy it. We now have 4 Irish TV chanels so why don't we have our own quiz shows ? Maybe we do but if I can't think of any they must be bad.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bring back the Lyrics Board and Where in the World*, problem solved.

*Mmmmmm, Theresa Lowe...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

I think it's because all our presenters are the most annoying people in the world so they're even MORE annoying on these types of shows.

I like QI but imagine that in Ireland? Shudder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

were definitely terrible at copying the UK: Millionaire, Weakest Link, Deal Or No Deal, all catostrophic failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RTE hardly produces anything outside news and current affairs,it's all independent production companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

And as for the prizes. You'd be lucky to win a box of tea bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It would have been impossible to better Quicksilver. RTE quit when they were ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'd say an Irish version of The Chase would do well. There is probably enough table quiz aficionados still knocking around to keep a programme like this going for a while. Getting the right presenter and chasers would be important though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Quiz shows are only as good as the contestants. Our small population has some really bright people but I'm not sure if we have enough of them, willing to take part, to make a whole TV series???
    Where is the Taj Mahal? Across deh rode from deh Dental Hospital.
    Who built the Titanic? Noah.
    What was Van Gogh's first name? Volkswagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Because they are always a disaster. Take family fortunes with that gimp off tv3 for example. It's an embarrasment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

were definitely terrible at copying the UK: Millionaire, Weakest Link, Deal Or No Deal, all catostrophic failures.

You mean all the ones produced by Endemol, the Dutch production company that exports show format worldwide?

It's just that you here of them first via the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Lemonperv wrote: »
    I think it's because all our presenters are the most annoying people in the world so they're even MORE annoying on these types of shows.

I like QI but imagine that in Ireland? Shudder...

The Panel was a great show. Hosted by Dara O'Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Irish pointless! I don't care if its done badly done, you still can never have enough pointless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Which stars do travellers follow?

Eh, is it Joe Dolan Larry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

We had that one "It's not the Answer".

Very, very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We need a version of Total Wipeout. We already have a proven Irish presenter

It really shouldn't be hard to come up with a decent format and the prizes don't need to cost much, look at pointless, hour of TV and the daily prize averages out to way less than 2 thousand pounds a day.

As someone said above though, it's probably our presenters that would doom the whole thing to failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Guess the potato?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

We need a version of Total Wipeout. We already have a proven Irish presenter
    All RTE would need it to get some 2x4s wrapped in bubble wrap, and set them up in a bog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Blackboard challenge was decent enough and so was the "University Challenge" one with that Kevin Myers chap presenting. Can't remember the proper title, University Times or some such?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

galwayrush wrote: »
    It would have been impossible to better Quicksilver. RTE quit when they were ahead.

Of all possible combinations of situations that could develop in the infinite scenarios of the modern age you will never get phrases like these uttered again :

"Stop the lights Bunny"
    "Good Man Joe, you've won 2p"

RTE suck dead donkeys dícks when it comes to producing (a) quiz shows and (b) comedies. Looking at the Mario Rosenstock show, they're still using the same background technology as they did in the day of Bosco. No green screens for RTE to project a background onto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Slunk wrote: »
    Because they are always a disaster. Take family fortunes with that gimp off tv3 for example. It's an embarrasment.

LOL what happened to his cheeks - he looks like a chipmunk. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

what about that show where the group of people had to sail a lovely old boat around Ireland. They ended up smashing it to pieces and had to be rescued. a disaster, but hilarious :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Somewhere in the bowels of RTE Craig Doyle is creating a new show for himself based on this thread.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I used to like blackboard jungle and where in the world. Don't know if they would work now though.

Anyone remember that music gameshow user to be on with Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot and others I can't remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Remember Pot Luck - not a quiz show sorry - cookery show presented by Carrie Crowley

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

Number 1.

Had Dermot Morgan lived there was a Father Ted style quiz in the pipeline which he would have hosted in character asking bible questions to groups of nuns to win all expenses paid trips to Lourdes.

The place, not Madonna's daughter, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

crusher000 wrote: »
    And as for the prizes. You'd be lucky to win a box of tea bags.
    Sure look at the money 'Winning Streak' gives away.

They gave away over €500,000 at the weekend ( don't laugh, I was only watching it because a neighbour was on it! I swear.....)

Take some of that money and do a quiz like that money and do that 'In it to win it'. I love that programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Number 1.

Had Dermot Morgan lived there was a Father Ted style quiz in the pipeline which he would have hosted in character asking bible questions to groups of nuns to win all expenses paid trips to Lourdes.

The place, not Madonna's daughter, that is.

I think Dave Heffernan presented Number 1.

By the way, how difficult is it to purchase pork chops in Tehran?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Kolido wrote: »
    I used to like blackboard jungle and where in the world. Don't know if they would work now though.

Anyone remember that music gameshow user to be on with Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot and others I can't remember?
    2TV was it?
    Or was it The Beatbox, presented by Ian Dempsey?

• Advertisement

Feathers wrote: »
    You mean all the ones produced by Endemol, the Dutch production company that exports show format worldwide?

It's just that you here of them first via the UK.

DOND is Endemol.
    Millionaire and The Weakest Link are original UK shows.
    Although you are right, these shows come from all over the world, Dragons Den is originally Japanese I think.

Advertisement