Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why haven't we more Irish produced quiz shows ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Rasheed wrote: »
    Sure look at the money 'Winning Streak' gives away.

I just find that programme cringeworthy, admittedly the audience are eager enough as they wave their homemade cardboard plackards :D

With Marty Wheelan well past his sell by date, awful amature 1970s looking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

An Irish countdown. Any old dipstick can present it and get Miriam O Callaghan to wear tight revelling dresses and say thoses numbers in a sultry way. The ratings will be through the roof.

:faps furiously:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

LordSutch wrote: »
    I just find that programme cringeworthy, admittedly the audience are eager enough as they wave their homemade cardboard plackards :D

With Marty Wheelan well past his sell by date, awful amature 1970s looking stuff.

Dear sweet Jaysus, even a chimp can win money by poking brightly coloured buttons. At least let them 'work' for their cash, a bit of tension a la 'Millionaire' instead of this happy clappy remedial school schite.

AND it gets repeated, I mean WTF???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Kolido wrote: »
    I used to like blackboard jungle and where in the world. Don't know if they would work now though.

Anyone remember that music gameshow user to be on with Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot and others I can't remember?

I remember one with Dave Fanning and Gerry Ryan as the team captains with Ian Dempsey as the presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

An Irish countdown. Any old dipstick can present it and get Miriam O Callaghan Velcro Girl to wear tight revelling dresses and say thoses numbers in a sultry way. The ratings will be through the roof.

:faps furiously:

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

2TV was it?
    Or was it The Beatbox, presented by Ian Dempsey?
    seanmacc wrote: »
    I remember one with Dave Fanning and Gerry Ryan as the team captains with Ian Dempsey as the presenter.

Thanks to a couple of previous posters, it was called Number One.

http://www.iftn.ie/whoswho/Producers/whoswhosub/tvproducers/?act1=record&aid=70&rid=1475&tpl=filmography_dets&only=1&force=1

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

9959 wrote: »
    By the way, how difficult is it to purchase pork chops in Tehran?
    They're impossible to buy but easy to get when you own swine and a sharp knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

I'd love to see a version of Crystal Maze hosted by Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

More importantly, can we not get some humourous political shows, like what we had with Dermot Morgan's 'Scrap Saturday'.

In the US they have 'The Colbert Report', 'The Daily Show' and 'Real Time with Bill Maher' on television and 'The Young Turks' and 'The David Pakman Show' on YouTube. These shows make politics more palatable for the general public.

Plenty of people have told me that they find politics boring. They prefer watching soaps, talent contests and Live 'celebrity' camping. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

First RTE have to find one presenter, just one, that isn't an irritating twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

A quiz show with a bit of light entertainment thrown in. Not just a cardboard back ground with some christmas lights thrown in. Presenter would be the big one though. Hard to think of anyone that could carry it off. Bernard or Jennie from Republic of Telly perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

Sharon ni bheolahinahan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

IceFjoem wrote: »
    I'd love to see a version of Crystal Maze hosted by Joe Duffy.

Yes to crystal maze. That show was brilliant. I think they show re-runs of it on some channel. The bald guy who used to host it was the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

crusher000 wrote: »
    If we look at our neighbours across the water all their TV stations have any number of quiz shows. Irish TV then take the idea and copy it. We now have 4 Irish TV chanels so why don't we have our own quiz shows ? Maybe we do but if I can't think of any they must be bad.;)

I agree, this is a nation of Quiz Nerds. There are thousands of formats of there, it shouldn't be impossible to get a decent show on air.

Even straightforward quizzes like Challenging Times and Blackboard Jungle used to get huge ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Could combine million pound drop, Take me out, and Come Dine with me . Start the show with 12 good looking girls or fellas, contestant goes through a series of questions each time you get one wrong lose a person until your left with one and then you bring them home and have to cook dinner for them. food sponsored by Superquin or Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭useless

Dear sweet Jaysus, even a chimp can win money by poking brightly coloured buttons. At least let them 'work' for their cash, a bit of tension a la 'Millionaire' instead of this happy clappy remedial school schite.

AND it gets repeated, I mean WTF???

Winning Streak is essentially a televised National Lottery draw. The prize money all comes from the Lottery, not RTE. AFAIK there are some rules around the National Lottery licence that don't allow the Lottery to have any element of skill involved in the distribution of prizes- it must be all down to chance/luck.
    That's partly the reason why the show is so sh!t- the presenters and the 'mad' audience don't help though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

When RTE did Millionaire, I recall that they made an absolute bags of it.

The first show had questions so difficult that even Smarmy Gaybo couldn't carry the squirming contestants. It was excrutiating to watch.

So they dumbed it down. Problem was thay didn't bother to check the answers. Like for example who the first James Bond was. Doh ! (Barry Nelson if you must know). They said Sean Connery.

They probably know now but I wouldn't bet on it. their switchboard was overloaded with Bond fans putting them right. RTE told callers to ring Celador !

Then RTE thought Borneo was a country. That was in the same show !

It got better. or worse, depending on where you sat.
    The next week, they didn't know what a lunula was, even though that was the question. Turned out the contestant got it wrong (even though he was right). They had to bring him back the following week.

That's why we don't do quiz shows. We aren't capable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Will it have a quickfire "Yes/No Gameshow" round?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Just keep it simple. Know your Sport in the 90's was grand, do the same again, but instead of using celebs like they tried at the end of last year just use teams from across the country.

Or something like Cross Country Quiz, just general knowledge in teams, or get a version of Mastermind and have individuals and not "celebs" on it. The country has table quizzes on every bloody weekend, it would get viewers in.

But keep it simple, no need for fancy gimmicks or flash sets, RTE could have the usual text in quiz during the show and make few quid off it on the side as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

bijapos wrote: »
    Just keep it simple. Know your Sport in the 90's was grand, do the same again, but instead of using celebs like they tried at the end of last year just use teams from across the country.

Or something like Cross Country Quiz, just general knowledge in teams, or get a version of Mastermind and have individuals and not "celebs" on it. The country has table quizzes on every bloody weekend, it would get viewers in.

But keep it simple, no need for fancy gimmicks or flash sets, RTE could have the usual text in quiz during the show and make few quid off it on the side as well.

Know your sport was good, this yoke was sh!te!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Put_'Em_Under_Pressure_(TV_series)

RTE are probably contractually obliged to use either Seoige, Dathai or Cathryn Thomas for any new show which means they are already crap before the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Pal wrote: »
    When RTE did Millionaire, I recall that they made an absolute bags of it.

The first show had questions so difficult that even Smarmy Gaybo couldn't carry the squirming contestants. It was excrutiating to watch.

So they dumbed it down. Problem was thay didn't bother to check the answers. Like for example who the first James Bond was. Doh ! (Barry Nelson if you must know). They said Sean Connery.

They probably know now but I wouldn't bet on it. their switchboard was overloaded with Bond fans putting them right. RTE told callers to ring Celador !

Then RTE thought Borneo was a country. That was in the same show !

It got better. or worse, depending on where you sat.
    The next week, they didn't know what a lunula was, even though that was the question. Turned out the contestant got it wrong (even though he was right). They had to bring him back the following week.

That's why we don't do quiz shows. We aren't capable.

what about the woman who pondered for an hour or so, on what answer she would give, as she wasn't sure which answer was right. They had to edit it down to about 20 minutes for tv. I think that was the nail in the coffin. Imagine sitting there waiting for someone to answer a question for that length of time. Also I don't know why gay byrne has to pop up on RTE all the time - he DID retire did he not. Can he not give someone else a chance at employment - surely he doesn't need the money. He's a smug git at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

they could do a TV version of Larry Gogan's "just A MINUTE quiz".

You could have the chair from graham norton's show (the red chair with the lever).

Each contestant has to sit in the chair and have "just a minute" quiz thrown at them. Once they get a question wrong, they get dumped off the chair, graham norton style.

A series of eliminations will eventually find a winner, who will win 9.99 (terms and conditions apply)

and just in case anyone is reading this from RTE - THIS IS MY IDEA MY COPYRIGHT.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Panel was a great show. Hosted by Dara O'Brian.

I wouldn't have compared it to QI though. Its more 'Have I Got News For You', without the points, and a couple of Interviews chucked in.

Still a was a great show though, that and 'Don't Feed the Gondolas'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Is there anyone under the age of 60 who enjoys watching winning streak. I mean really? It should be phased out over the course of the next 5 years. Make something interesting with the production money that is saved

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Back in the 80's we had Murphy's Micro Quizm presented by Mike Murphy. Was a pretty good show from what I remember and they used to give away cars and holidays.

There was also one that I think was on a Friday that was like charades with different contestants each week headed up by either Derek Davis or Twink (I know, I know). It was actually quite funny from what I remember of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Back in the 80's we had Murphy's Micro Quizm presented by Mike Murphy. Was a pretty good show from what I remember and they used to give away cars and holidays

what's the answer Sylvester :pac:

the best ever was "Know Your Sport"

didn't you get a mug and umbrella for winning your heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Is there anyone under the age of 60 who enjoys watching winning streak. I mean really? It should be phased out over the course of the next 5 years. Make something interesting with the production money that is saved

It also appeals to the 0-3 y/o demographic, with nice shiny brightly coloured things.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Lemonperv wrote: »
    I like QI but imagine that in Ireland? Shudder...

It could work. David Norris could present it.

A schools quiz would be good too, something like Top of the Form or Blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They don't work here because it's impossible to get a straight answer out of anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

kingtiger wrote: »
    what's the answer Sylvester :pac:

the best ever was "Know Your Sport"

didn't you get a mug and umbrella for winning your heat

Sounds like a reasonable enough prize, sure we drink a lot of tea and we get a lot of rain.:pac:

Advertisement