Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comic --> TV compare/Contrast thread/speculation ** for comic readers only **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Yes.
    She goes a bit bat**** crazy though after being rejected by her bf and decides to hug a walker with predictable results.
    Oh she is the one commits suicide in the prison yard by walking up to the tied up zombie? Are spoilers really needed for this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

It's hardly the same character at all really; some of the same vulnerability in TV Carol to begin with, and of course her daughter Sophia in both mediums (media? mediums?), but otherwise hardly recognisable. I really like what they've done with TV Carol this season, she has a new found swagger.

What I like about the latest episode, as a comic fan, is the fact that hopefully we now have a unified group at the prison. My favourite aspect of the prison arc in the comics was how well we got a sense of a small band of people really living together in the prison, with Rick in command, Tyreese as his right hand man, Hershel farming, Andrea sorting out clothes, Dale and the others scouting the prison and finding the generator, etc. A proper sense of community.

So far in the TV show we haven't got settled into the prison at all. Fitting that the latest episode was called Home, and featured Glenn refusing to leave the prison, Michonne (probably) finally being accepted into the group, and Daryl returning to where he felt he belonged. Hopefully we'll see Tyreese's group return next week and we'll have a proper little prison family.

Only disappointment: Andrea came into her f*cking own in the prison arc, while on TV she continues to be singularly annoying. It's looking less and less likely that she'll be able to make it from this...

andrea.jpg

...to proper Andrea

Andrea-Full-620x911.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I agree with the above post, the tv adaptation of Andrea is the biggest let down of the show for me. Michonne was introduced in the comics as a very guarded character and seems to be finally starting to show her loyalty to the group (helping to save Hershall, actually having a conversation regarding the next move on Woodbury etc...). Don't forget, she can't have been with the prison group for more than a week or so at this point, it will take a while for her to get established with them...
    I really like the way they've taken Carol, I was never a big fan of her in the comics, but with regards to the show I really don't want her to meet the same end as her comic counterpart.
    Anyone else think that if the kill the baby in the same way as the comic it'll be Beth holding the baby? Although I kinda hope not, she could fill the void that offing Sofia left with regards to Carl...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

TV Maggie is also a huge improvement over comic book Maggie. It would seem they've transferred some of Comic Book Adrea's bass-assery over to TV Maggie.

Now if we could just see TV Maggie becoming an excellent shot with a sniper rifle then we could just off TV Andrea (who's beyond redemption at this point anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else feel that the continued mishandling of 2 of the most popular characters in the comics in Michonne and Andrea may have put Kirkman and Mazarra at loggerheads, resulting in AMC backing Kirkman and giving Mazarra the heave ho ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Anyone else feel that the continued mishandling of 2 of the most popular characters in the comics in Michonne and Andrea may have put Kirkman and Mazarra at loggerheads, resulting in AMC backing Kirkman and giving Mazarra the heave ho ?

I agree, particularly with Andrea, I mean in the comics she has her fair share of love interests (
    Dale, Rick...
    but that's just an aside from her general badass-ary and she's a well developed character that's a genuine asset in the group. In the show she's an annoying idiot that seeks approval at being a woman in what has become a man's world for want of a better world, but instead of proving her world, she's dropping her knickers at any man in a prominent role, Shane, the Gov... it's such a shame that she's been reduced to this, she's one of my favourites in the comics.

As for Michonne, I think her character is too new in the series to cause too much conflict. I think she's a lot harder to portray on screen, in a window in a comic the scowly face has a lot more prominence to it, the fact that it's used in every second scene in the tv show just makes it lose a lot of its effect. There was a bit of development with her the last episode though, I'm really hoping they keep it up now though.

Regarding changes to other characters though, I really think they changed Carol and Maggie for the better, I never really liked either of them in the graphic novels, particularly Carol, who I found annoying, erratic and frankly I was delighted when she
    turned herself into a walker dinnerbell
    but I'm really liking the strong, witty slightly badass Carol of the TV show :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

For me the biggest improvement is Daryl and Meryl, two characters that add to the thing, unlike some who are lets face it, zombie fodder.
    I'm unsure about Rick's mental breakdown, I think it's overplayed on TV and was handled better in the comic but it could prove a good thing if it lets other develop a bit more. We'll see.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    For me the biggest improvement is Daryl and Meryl, two characters that add to the thing, unlike some who are lets face it, zombie fodder.
    I'm unsure about Rick's mental breakdown, I think it's overplayed on TV and was handled better in the comic but it could prove a good thing if it lets other develop a bit more. We'll see.

Yeh comic Rick would never let his breakdown endanger Carl or the group like tv Rick has, the only time you saw how ****ed in the head he was were during the quite moments when they had found some measure of safety.

Rick needs to get his **** together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Think they will kill Andrea off by the end of this season.

A few ways I think it could happen.

Assault on the prison and she's with woodbury accidentally takes out one of her old friends can't live with the guilt and kills herself

Is shot by the Guv and with one last dying breath kills him before he kills Rick or someone else

I think they will amalgamate Andrea into Carol and Maggie and make Andrea a Lily type character pretty much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

allanb49 wrote: »
    I think they will amalgamate Andrea into Carol and Maggie and make Andrea a Lily type character pretty much

Fair play man, That actually sounds very possible. They need a 'Lilly' who was working with ol' Phil but then turns on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I think it'd be more fitting to have the Gov kill Andrea in cold blood. But it's more likely that Comics
    Andrea will basically just sub in as the Woodburyite that kills him in the comics. That was a pretty ace death. Though it'll suck if it is Andrea who does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

upto issue 101 of the comics, be interesting to see how it goes tv wise after the Governor showdown, will they stick to the comics or go off on a tangent.

krudler wrote: »
    upto issue 101 of the comics, be interesting to see how it goes tv wise after the Governor showdown, will they stick to the comics or go off on a tangent.

There is nothing post prison that stands out as Sacrosanct to me so they can go completely off script as far as I'm concerned. Bearing that in mind I just think it's a shame they couldn't rein In their temptation to meddle for the first 3 seasons and given the fans the arcs as scripted in the comics before cutting loose post prison where there really hasn't been any stand out arcs and they could really have put their stamp on things.

Can't wait for Andrea to get together with Rick.

It's gonna KILL the audiences who want her dead every week :D

Agree with the above by PhiloCypher, after the prison most of the character development has happened in the comic, what they do with those characters is open but until they got that far it might have been better if they had stuck with the comic story arch and events.
    Of course if they did we would complain they missed a chance to expand and improve the comic, translating from one medium to another is always going to annoy someone.

• Advertisement

wonder will Glenn's fate make it into the tv show, was pretty brutal in the comic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

wonder will Glenn's fate make it into the tv show, was pretty brutal in the comic

Hope not, I like the character. Personally I'd like to see the core group of Rick ( & Carl), Glenn, Maggie, Daryl, Hershel, Michonne and Carol survive as long as possible.

I suppose Andrea, Merle, Beth (& Judith?), Tyreese and his sister, Allen and Ben are the expendable ones.

Possible spoiler their!;)
    Hope not, but I think Glenn has less chance of survival than Andrea in the TV show.
    I think if they were to get rid of Andrea they would have done it already. My guess is she will take out the Gov and redeem herself to the group. Probably becoming more like the comic Andrera in the process.

I hope they do turn her more into comic Andrea, she's one of the best characters in it not a complete dope who you want to see as walker food.

Tyreese getting a bit of deserved criticism in the episode threads.

Another disappointing conversion from the comic, I think it's fair to say. He was introduced in episode 7 or 8 of this season and hasn't done anything yet. He comes across as a bit of a boring pacifist, not like the forceful badass we all know and love. I suppose there's not much more room for alpha male types with Rick, Daryl, Merle (and an increasingly angry Glen) in the group, but then why introduce a character called Tyreese at all?

I can't see him bringing any of his comic storylines to the show (no daughter/already established the point about the dead coming back, can't see him falling for Carol or Michonne in the TV dynamic, clearly not going to strike Woodbury with Michonne) - in fact, Tyreese's time to potentially shine is already over, as the Woodbury arc is finished in two episodes and he's barely been part of it.

While I've been enjoying season three hugely, I still feel a real sense of loss that we've missed out on huge parts of the best part of the prison arc from the comic by focusing too quickly on RICK VS GOVERNOR, and never settling into the prison properly. Would have loved to see: Thomas the serial killer and the resulting dilemma regarding his death penalty - "whatever happened to you kill, you die?", Carol's/someone's death by walker, finding and using the riot gear to badass effect, playing basketball, finding a generator and watching movies, growing crops and making clothes, Glenn and Maggie getting hitched (the cover of #36 showing Glenn down on one knee in the prison courtyard with a horde of zombies outside the fence is one of my favourites).

As it is, because we haven't seen any of this in the TV show, I can see no justification for them staying in the prison when it's leading to a bloodbath. In the comic, they were defending their home. In the TV show, it's a smelly hole that no one seems to particularly enjoy. It just doesn't make sense.

RE Tyreese. Remember this? This was awesome as sh*t.
    tumblr_miunxqDidR1rqfw6lo1_1280.jpg

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Tyreese getting a bit of deserved criticism in the episode threads.

Another disappointing conversion from the comic, I think it's fair to say. He was introduced in episode 7 or 8 of this season and hasn't done anything yet. He comes across as a bit of a boring pacifist, not like the forceful badass we all know and love. I suppose there's not much more room for alpha male types with Rick, Daryl, Merle (and an increasingly angry Glen) in the group, but then why introduce a character called Tyreese at all?

I can't see him bringing any of his comic storylines to the show (no daughter/already established the point about the dead coming back, can't see him falling for Carol or Michonne in the TV dynamic, clearly not going to strike Woodbury with Michonne) - in fact, Tyreese's time to potentially shine is already over, as the Woodbury arc is finished in two episodes and he's barely been part of it.

While I've been enjoying season three hugely, I still feel a real sense of loss that we've missed out on huge parts of the best part of the prison arc from the comic by focusing too quickly on RICK VS GOVERNOR, and never settling into the prison properly. Would have loved to see: Thomas the serial killer and the resulting dilemma regarding his death penalty - "whatever happened to you kill, you die?", Carol's/someone's death by walker, finding and using the riot gear to badass effect, playing basketball, finding a generator and watching movies, growing crops and making clothes, Glenn and Maggie getting hitched (the cover of #36 showing Glenn down on one knee in the prison courtyard with a horde of zombies outside the fence is one of my favourites).

As it is, because we haven't seen any of this in the TV show, I can see no justification for them staying in the prison when it's leading to a bloodbath. In the comic, they were defending their home. In the TV show, it's a smelly hole that no one seems to particularly enjoy. It just doesn't make sense.

RE Tyreese. Remember this? This was awesome as sh*t.
    tumblr_miunxqDidR1rqfw6lo1_1280.jpg

While he has been utterly wasted he hasn't been ruined or made unlikable so there is still hope they will do something of note with the character in season 4 . If they don't then between the hispanic family, Jaqui , T-Dawg, Oscar and Tyreese that's tokenism on a unbelievable level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

If anyone has a link to where I could view the comics on my iPad for free that'd be great, cheers!;):D Obviously I'll take a PM.

In an ideal world, I'd buy the compendiums but there's no way I can afford them for the foreseeable future. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Its been so long since I read the books that I couldn't remember who Tyresse was but holy ****.... they have made a mockery of his previous character. I think its important to treat both comic and TV show as separate entities at this point to avoid further disappointment

Grimebox wrote: »
    Its been so long since I read the books that I couldn't remember who Tyresse was but holy ****.... they have made a mockery of his previous character. I think its important to treat both comic and TV show as separate entities at this point to avoid further disappointment

Shouldn't be a problem as they have already botched the most memorable arcs/moments from the comics, there is very little post prison for them to ruin imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Shouldn't be a problem as they have already botched the most memorable arcs/moments from the comics, there is very little post prison for them to ruin imo.

Yeah, the prison was the highlight of the comics. The standard is still high but the comics should probably end quite soon tbh. In fact, it should've ended before the whole Negan thing even started...

Yeah, the prison was the highlight of the comics. The standard is still high but the comics should probably end quite soon tbh. In fact, it should've ended before the whole Negan thing even started...

I'm up to date with the comics now and yeah the Negan thing is a step too far, its just the Governor again but with more baseball bats :pac: There's no way they'll do some of the stuff from the direction the comics take in the show, cant see Rick losing his hand as it would have happened by now and between Herschel and him and eventually
    Carl
    that's a lot of prosthetic work involved and hiding of limbs for the show.

A Neurotic wrote: »

When I wrote this, I was firmly convinced that the season finale would feature either a prison massacre or escape. I had completely forgotten that there was talk of stretching the prison out for two seasons. The final scene of season three is basically my ideal ending to the season - they've finally settled in! And with Tyreese! And now we have a wealth of time and space in season four to get into the nuts and bolts of forming a mini-society in the prison. And hopefully get out for some fresh air as well... Very excited and happy with the season finale.

Curious about The Governor's ongoing role. One theory of mine is that he'll be an ongoing major antagonist in the series indefinitely, working in the background, making contact with different communities in the wider area, leading us into the A Larger World arc and maybe eventually inheriting Negan's character. Might be cool to see him plotting against the prison but never directly contacting them in a parallel story across a season or two. I think a lot of comic readers have criticised Negan at some stage for just being "another Governor", so maybe the TV writers have decided to dodge that bullet and combine the two...? I think it's a good idea anyway.

Agree with most of the above, The Gov in the TV show is more like Negan in the comic than the comic Governor.
    I'm OK with how it's going, yes I miss the iconic moments but we have a reasonable retelling of the comic story within the restrictions that a TV show comes with.
    Best bit is it leaves the comic a good read for the people coming from the show, you would think the tv writers were avoiding spoilers for the comic. :D

I wonder did they (tv season finale spoiler)
    kill off andrea because she was so unliked, but by that token its THEIR fault she is, writing her a lovesick moron instead of a sharpshooting badass with a scar like in the comics

Agree with most of the above, The Gov in the TV show is more like Negan in the comic than the comic Governor.
    I'm OK with how it's going, yes I miss the iconic moments but we have a reasonable retelling of the comic story within the restrictions that a TV show comes with.
    Best bit is it leaves the comic a good read for the people coming from the show, you would think the tv writers were avoiding spoilers for the comic. :D

If the governor is going to be their Negan proxy I wonder will they have him kidnap Carl and try and shape him even further towards his way of thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If the governor is going to be their Negan proxy I wonder will they have him kidnap Carl and try and shape him even further towards his way of thinking.

First thing that came to mind for me after the end of the season....I would expect at least one episode of Carl and The Governor in each others company.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    First thing that came to mind for me after the end of the season....I would expect at least one episode of Carl and The Governor in each others company.

that could work, I don't see them bringing Negan in at all, without all the ridiculous amounts of swearing and bludgeoning someone to death with a barb wire baseball it just wouldnt work.

Negan won't be brought in at all. Even leaving out the OTT stuff there was roughly a five year gap between the end of the prison storyline, and his introduction (in real time), and fans still complained about the similarities with The Governor. They won't have the luxury of that gap in the TV show so the comparisons would be crazy.

Carl being brought in with the Governor would be class. Would be interesting to see that. Maybe have the gang meet Abraham & Eugene and head to Washington for a cure. Governor could follow along stalking them in a 'Fear the Hunters' kind of way.

I feel if they do go that route it will be a small storyline, and will probably be used to show that despite Carl being cold and a product of his environment he is still just a kid, and The Governor will scare the sh*t out of him.

If you were watching the talking dead, last episode, their were some hints of Michonne and Rick getting together.
    I'm hoping for Carl to get kidnapped by the Governor just to learn whare kill or die ends up.
    And we have Tyreese to find his place in the groupe now full of old people and small kids.
    Looking forward to the next season, now I can relax about the comic being messed with. All the main issues in the comic are dealt with, the tv show can work away on it own story arch.

If you were watching the talking dead, last episode, their were some hints of Michonne and Rick getting together.
    I'm hoping for Carl to get kidnapped by the Governor just to learn whare kill or die ends up.
    And we have Tyreese to find his place in the groupe now full of old people and small kids.
    Looking forward to the next season, now I can relax about the comic being messed with. All the main issues in the comic are dealt with, the tv show can work away on it own story arch.

I would like to see them take the restarting of civilization idea from the comic. The prison is the obvious highlight from the series (even though it has its flaws) but I think that idea has potential. Have them find/be brought into the community, show Rick installed as the law officer in the community, and nearly F it all up with his inability to trust anyone, and his need to be in charge. It could also show how Carl has a hard time adjusting back into 'normal' childhood activities, or fitting in with other kids. The only problem is they need a big bad to threaten it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Are AMC now completely diverting from comics in order to save money???

i.e. staying at prison , Is the prison now the Alexander safe zone cheap substitute perhaps with thrown in return road trips elsewhere to substitute
    for the mega one way trip to Washington.

I would guess that portraying the all the locations of Washington would be quite expensive on TV abandoned Washington Dc cityscape , ASZ ,Hilltop, the kingdom, Negans den etc.lots of sets and extras
    and new whole new cast
    So they have adopted a different storyline from here on out.

or is season 4 merely a second season at the prison with an eventually second Governor attack(or something else) driving them on road to Washington , which would still be following the basic comic storyline somewhat
    In thie comics there was quite a big gap in Governors attack and first contact

So which is it
    Extended stay at prison or a whole new path.

I think the TV show should do its own thing at this point with some nods or ideas from the comics
    copying the comics leaves few surprises and half copying it leads to a lot of complaints

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Carl being brought in with the Governor would be class. Would be interesting to see that. Maybe have the gang meet Abraham & Eugene and head to Washington for a cure. Governor could follow along stalking them in a 'Fear the Hunters' kind of way.

Abraham & Eugene are being introduced at some point in this season 4

Michael Cudlitz, Christian Serratos and Josh McDermitt will arrive in Season Four.

Fans of Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead will be seeing some very familiar faces in Season Four of the TV show: former soldier Abraham, and his companions Rosita and Eugene,

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128652-Abraham-Eugene-And-Rosita-Join-Walking-Dead-TV-Show#LOE880MHfqCBje8T.99

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, I reckon episode 8 at the mid season finale will see them leave the prison and they will come on Abraham and the others then. Just reading 'The Rise of the Governor' is seems that a lot of the last episode was inspired by that, albeit in a very different timeline.

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, I reckon episode 8 at the mid season finale will see them leave the prison and they will come on Abraham and the others then. Just reading 'The Rise of the Governor' is seems that a lot of the last episode was inspired by that, albeit in a very different timeline.

Yeah, like it was in reverse.

I think season 4x08 will be the fall of the prison
    4x09 - 4x16 meeting with Abraham's group and the road to the Alexandra safe zone
    Season 4 ends at the gates of the ASZ
    Season 5 will be the ASZ before Jesus arrives at end of season issue 69-91

The show is running at a pace ratio of 1.35:1, issues : episodes
    22 issues of AFZ before Jesus and the wider world post issue 91 = 16 episodes exactly

22:16 = 1.35

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

So are the Wolves the Saviours?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Possible, but it would be a fairly poor introduction and they seem to have quite the different MO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

doubtful, I'd say the Wolves are another distraction like the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If so then I suspect that the attack on Alex by the Wolves will be defeated by the Saviours, thus introducing them as the town's protectors.

Season 6 TV future sets spoiler
    The hilltop set is under construction.
    It looks like they are going to portray the "wider world" arc alright just with smaller camps scales than shown in comic ASZ is half its size in TV same here with hilltop
    I wondered how they going to do it given cost of portraying so many locations.
    note its a forested location as well to cut costs more.
    In the comics the "wider world" was set among-est the suburban sprawl of metropolitan DC ruins while here and TV ASZ are isolated sites in middle of forest like locations in Georgia

future set picture in link
    https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11752569_521449098010233_1271199895132585426_n.jpg?oh=77fac250653d05e48280aa3622bdefd9&oe=561B01E8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

The wolves DC scavengers and that quarry herd is the equivalent of the herd that the battle with them brought to ASZ which puts us at issue 82 now.
    Jesus at issue 92
    Negan at issue 100

Which means season 6 is going to be up to about issue 100

Season 6a the wolves/herd attack fallout ends with intro of Jesus cliffhanger
    Season 6b the wider world arc the hilltop ends with intro of Negan cliffhanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I wonder who will play Negan? Here's a few ideas, Ron Perlmann, Kevin Durand or my own wildcard choice...... wait for it........ Vinnie Jones!

Or they could go with Idris elba (allowing of course for a little bit of artistic licence on the ethnicity front)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

John Hamm was linked at the start of the year, looks the part IMO and has relationship with AMC after Mad Men. He said this to MTV about it:
    “Robert, call me. Come on,” said Hamm, referring to The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman,

“I’ve met Robert many times, he’s a lovely guy. I think he’s done wonders with that show and I know it’s very close to him, obviously. I’m always very nervous about anything about anybody’s saying ‘do this or do that’. That’s why I’m always in a hundred things all the time, because I always say yes. I don’t know, we’ll see. It would be fun, that’s for sure."

• Advertisement
Advertisement