Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spectre (Bond 24)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Asides apart, FRWL is probably the BEST BOND. For a film from the early '60s
    it's pretty DARN GOOD, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Early version of the Spectre script has been leaked as part of the Sony hack. No putting that genie back in the bottle. Wonder will they tear it up and start again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Goldstein wrote: »
    Early version of the Spectre script has been leaked as part of the Sony hack. No putting that genie back in the bottle. Wonder will they tear it up and start again?

How early? It has definitely been rewritten/touched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Correction: script confirmed by Sony to have been stolen but it hasn't been leaked yet. Surely just a matter of time before it surfaces though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Asides apart, FRWL is probably the BEST BOND. For a film from the early '60s
    it's pretty DARN GOOD, IMO.

That is true. FRWL is timeless and sums up all that is best about Bond. Full of action and suspence, both Connery and Robert Shaw are at their best here.

Every Bond film since has at least based some elements on this. Definitely one of if not the best of the series, it also is one of the most definitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

An earlier poster noted that in reality, Bond would be fighting ISIS, al Qaeda and other 'Islamic' extremists. The films have never really focused on this theme and have rarely been set in the Middle East. Some hinted: here's a history of Bond's association with the Middle East:

The Man with the golden gun: Lebanon features briefly but no mention of its politics..
    Golden Gun was supposed to be set in Iran, originally. The book is set in the Caribbean, but Live and Let Die was the previous film and that had the same setting, so they differentiated by trying to find a different locale. Apparently, they'd seen a Lamorisse short about a fox in a lost city in Iran, ancient lost city. And they flew to the Lost City of Bam, and they discovered it was the wrong city. And Tom Mankiewicz, the scriptwriter asked producer Cubby Broccoli, "why don't we ring Lamorisse?" "He's dead". Cubby replies. "He died in a plane crash in Iran." True. So they filmed in Hong Kong instead, after the kung fu boom.
    The scenes in Beirut are clearly the Pinewood lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Sitting in last sunday afternoon and I popped on the man with the golden gun
    on the real utv for a bit of a nosey and discovered rog banging a thugs head against the wall
    a few times clipped the the belly dancer's fight scene.

to paraphrase sherrif jw peppa; "what the hell's goin' on???"

Golden Gun was supposed to be set in Iran, originally. The book is set in the Caribbean, but Live and Let Die was the previous film and that had the same setting, so they differentiated by trying to find a different locale. Apparently, they'd seen a Lamorisse short about a fox in a lost city in Iran, ancient lost city. And they flew to the Lost City of Bam, and they discovered it was the wrong city. And Tom Mankiewicz, the scriptwriter asked producer Cubby Broccoli, "why don't we ring Lamorisse?" "He's dead". Cubby replies. "He died in a plane crash in Iran." True. So they filmed in Hong Kong instead, after the kung fu boom.
    The scenes in Beirut are clearly the Pinewood lot.

I have to watch the film again. I remember it all but do not remember why Bond had to go to Beirut. Only he did and got into a fight.

A lot of the original books had a Caribbean setting and Jamaica in particular. Fleming lived there of course. It features a lot of times in the films too actually: Dr No, Thunderball, Live and let die, Octopussy (?if the start is Cuba which it seems to be), Licence to Kill, Goldeneye, and Quantum of Solace are all set in a Caribbean location.

If The Man With the Golden Gun was set in Iran, it would have been interesting. 1974 was before the Revolutionary Guards took over and the Shah was comfortable. Who would be the bad guys in it? Would it be some kind of dissident Soviet hitman theme with a lair on a Caspian sea island of disputed status?

Like many Bond films of its day, this film was no shy about incorporating elements of other popular films of the time. Clearly, there is a homage to Bruce Lee with the Kung Fu/Karate type fight and there's also Smokey and the Bandit terrority in the car chase near the end. Evel Knievel type stunt featured too. 2 films later, Moonraker did the same for the space adveture genre. And Octopussy felt very like Indiana Jones at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

Actually, Smokey came out 3 years later but there had already been a whole genre of B-rate exploitation deep fried good old boy car chase movies.

In Golden Gun, Bond goes to Beirut because he has to find the bellydancer girlfriend of the British agent who was killed by Scaramanga, who keeps his golden bullet that killed him as a lucky charm. Bond has to get the charm/bullet back to the UK so Q can identify its maker. The fighters are club bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

Teaser trailer out at 23:45 tonight at http://www.007.com/ ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭VG31

I groaned when Skyfall was mentioned. I thought this message from his past was going to be from his professional past not his childhood. Just have M send him on another mission, why there have to be personal stakes.

That teaser did nothing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

You're a cuunt dancing in a hurricane Mr Bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Can't wait. A great teaser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Ooh! I liked it! I prefer mystery and intrigue rather than explosions and shoot outs. Although I'm sure they will feature too, but probably will be a nice balance.

Good teaser. Though watch the French dubbed version that lines up after the video plays - that's even better. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is this the teaser or the teaser for the teaser like M:I5?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm confused. What's his secret?

Very dark looking movie. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I want Christophe Waltz to talk at my wedding, funeral, hell I'd let him narrate my breakfast....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

I've just figured out what the "secret" is & I really hope they're not going down that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I want Christophe Waltz to talk at my wedding, funeral, hell I'd let him narrate my breakfast....

"No, Mr Egg, I expect you to crack."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bond battles personal demons and nods to past films. Looks like a sequel to Skyfall.

OU812 wrote: »
    I'm confused. What's his secret?

Very dark looking movie. Looking forward to it.
    OU812 wrote: »
    I've just figured out what the "secret" is & I really hope they're not going down that road.

I looks to me, from the charred and very badly photoshopped photo we see him looking at, that
    Bond may have a brother

I also note that the pattern of cracks in the glass from the bullet hole match up with the pattern on the ring we see Bond hand Mr White.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I looks to me, from the charred and very badly photoshopped photo we see him looking at, that
    Bond may have a brother

I also note that the pattern of cracks in the glass from the bullet hole match up with the pattern on the ring we see Bond hand Mr White.

Dunno about the brother but I was more thinking his parents were murdered by spectre or had some sort of involvement with them.

ricero wrote: »
    Dunno about the brother but I was more thinking his parents were murdered by spectre or had some sort of involvement with them.

Yeh I was thinking that. Could there be something fact they've photoshopped a face onto his dad, they haven't just used a stand-in. We might be getting flashbacks or am I reading too much into things.

I'm definitely more intrigued than I was last night but the personal stuff still irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

**** for a split second I thought that was O' Connell St. Bridge at the start of the teaser.

Someone on reddit has drawn attention to the document Bond is looking at, the Order of Temporary Guardianship. I'll spoiler it just in case anybody is that sensitive about knowing too much but it is in the trailer after all.
    Legal Guardian: Charmain Bond
    Temporary Guardian: H Oberhauser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Major spoilers ahead that discuss the ending of the movie according to the leaked script.

Ok having read the leak script this is my interpretation of the trailer.

Moneypenney tells Bond about a secret from his past

We see Bond holding a certificate and a photo

The cert. is a Foster paper and Bonds name is on it along with a H. Oberhauser

From the books Hans Oberhauser was a ski instructor who was a mentor of sorts to a young Bond

The photo Bond is holding shows him as a boy with presumably his Foster father Hans Oberhauser and another boy (Oberhausers son) whose face is missing due to the photo being burnt.

So Bond basically has a Foster brother whose last name is Oberhauser.

Then at the end of the trailer we have a Spectre meeting. Waltz welcomes Bond and by the sounds of it he knows him a long time. Waltz is the head of Spectre. We all know the head of Spectre is Blofeld. So Waltz is Blofeld.

However Waltz is listed as playing Franz Oberhauser. Franz Oberhauser is Hans Oberhausers son. Bond is his foster brother.

So basically Bond is Blofelds foster brother.

Which is ridiculous. Again the trailer uses the well known trope of having Blofelds face obscured both in the photo of him as a boy, and at the end where Waltz is sitting in the shadows. This makes the connection so explicit that it is sort of self defeating.

Why establish a secret concerning Bonds past and then simultaneously give it away in the trailer. That's daft and extremely poor storytelling. So I think it may be a deliberate misdirection. Deception and double-identities is also a feature of Blofeld.

However another thing that bothers me is that according to the script Bond kills Waltz. This led to a flurry of emails from execs who explicitly questioned the wisdom of Bond killing Blofeld (Waltz) in this movie. Why would they spend years trying to get the rights to the character only to kill him off straight away. It makes no sense. Blofeld always gets away.

So there is certainly more to this than meets the eye. Otherwise, Mendes will be responsible for bringing back Blofeld, making Bond his foster brother and then killing him off all in the one movie.

Surely they'd never do that. There'd be outrage. So there must be a twist somewhere, right?

Interesting. Very much looks like a sequel to both Skyfall and Quantum of Solace.

I'd guess that perhaps the secret could be that Bond has a brother who was brought up by (neo Nazi) criminals and who now has become the head of SPECTRE (aka Quantum). His family are called Blofeld and he know goes by this name. Perhaps 'Mr White' knows of this. I have the feeling too that SPECTRE/Quantum run deep into the secret service and that Bond's brother/Blofeld could be a double agent. That's just one possibility and to be honest would be too far fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

Could Andrew Scott play a important role here as to regards to previous post????without giving too much away people who have read the spoilers could elaborate more on this.my take on the trailer I thought it was brilliant and also a great misdirection to what could happen.remember it's a world full of lies and misdirection in bond world so i guess we'll know more in time.also a slight touch of N.W.O to it ha :P

Advertisement