Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which do you prefer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I like fancy places that have baskets of individual hand towels - unfortunately 'the general public' cannot usually be trusted with such a thing when they are drunk and they end up flung all over the place.

The cost to the environment of to launder them would really put me off. I'd rather some bog roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The cost to the environment of to launder them would really put me off. I'd rather some bog roll.

Wonder what the stats are on that. Found this but it doesnt include single use washable hand towels. According to it, paper towels are worst, followed by convential hand driers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Wonder what the stats are on that. Found this but it doesnt include single use washable hand towels. According to it, paper towels are worst, followed by convential hand driers.

I suppose I'm thinking of hotel towels and the cost of laundering them and the detergents used for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

Dyson Airblade.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I suppose I'm thinking of hotel towels and the cost of laundering them and the detergents used for it.

Oh I totally agree. Think those long rolls that you pull down the next bit would have a similar issue.

I suppose youd be weighing up a one off production cost and an ongoing laundering cost (little towels) versus ongoing production costs and disposal costs (for paper towels) versus one off production cost and ongoing running cost (air drier). Very hard to quantify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One thing I look for in a toilet and I never usually see them in pubs is a swinging door or a door that opens outwards so you don't have to touch it on the way out after you've washed your hands! It's all well and good washing your hands but I always think that there's a lot of women that don't bother washing their hands and then they open the door with the hand that's wiped their @rse...

Anyway on topic I like either a dyson airblade or an old fashioned rolly towel thing. Hate paper towels, such a waste and they always end up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You pay for paper towels, the storage,vat, bin disposal etc AND theyre messy,labour & storage intensive AND bad for the environment.

Not those hideous how often used moist mega rolls

Air hand dryers! Simples! And eco friendly!

BTW your fab yankee candles will be robbed ;( or someone will burn arm/ dress/ eyesight/ whatever sniffing it while pissed + they will then cost you an arm + a leg. Unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

And crap!

Paper towels or pull down towelly thing all the way for me.

People concerned about the environment re: paper towels. Do you have the same view towards loo roll?

According to the MIT study in the link I posted, conventional air hand driers are the second most environmentally unfriendly.

On loo roll and eco-friendly - what alternative are we offered in a public place that we could choose not to use loo roll?

On loo roll and eco-friendly - what alternative are we offered in a public place that we could choose not to use loo roll?

Nothing, obviously. I just don't get the hand-wringing about using papers towels when we probably use way more bog roll than we should and just way too much paper in life in general.

• Advertisement

Nothing, obviously. I just don't get the hand-wringing about using papers towels when we probably use way more bog roll than we should and just way too much paper in life in general.

Just because we cant cut out bog roll doesnt mean that we shouldnt try to not use paper in other areas though? I mean when there is a viable alternative. I use kitchen roll and its a much cleaner alternative than using a wet dishcloth and spreading germs all round - but its not eco friendly. Its good to be eco friendly when you can, but I dont get hung up on it either.

I use kitchen roll and its a much cleaner alternative than using a wet dishcloth and spreading germs all round - but its not eco friendly.

Me too and this is exactly it! I'd prefer paper towels as they are much more hygienic than dryers. Not eco-friendly, but how often do I use these bathrooms? Not often!

Me too and this is exactly it! I'd prefer paper towels as they are much more hygienic than dryers. Not eco-friendly, but how often do I use these bathrooms? Not often!

Yeah, but those bathrooms are used by many and often, so its probably better if they dont have the least eco friendly option. In saying that, paper towels cause a huge mess of overflowing bins and being flung about by drunk people so they are probably not a 'staff friendly' option either.

I was out on Saturday and the place had a Dyson, so I checked for the scuzz that was referred to here - yeah, its there alright, but you dont have to touch it, its just from the water being blown off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Tunage wrote: »
    a shelf above the toilet for putting phone on if you have it in your hand...;-)
    I would have thought the shelf should be above the loo roll rather than above the toilet itself. You'd be reaching across the loo to pick up your phone and therefore be at risk of dropping it into the loo and you'd also be turning your back on it.

Over the loo roll is hopefully closer to hand with less risk.
    Tunage wrote: »
    Not sure if we'll be able to afford a fancy pants Dyson (personally I hate them, loud, noisy and big) but the one we have could do with a wee upgrade.
    WinterSong wrote: »
    Dyson Airblade.
    I love the Airblade but I hate the traditional style high speed dryers. You young ladies might not notice it yet but the high speed air tends to move your skin around on your hand as you dry and you suddenly think "OMG I'm old!!" as you watch...

The old style dryers are a pain as you wait to get dry or just head out with wet hands.

Advertisement